gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681213 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 08:49:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322031 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »

Runnersdialzero is a comic genius. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PhilCohen
« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »

Originally, until the box set apparently fell into limbo, this 50th anniversary Compact Disc campaign had three parts. They were:

1. 1-CD & 2-CD greatest hits sets aimed at casual consumers; people who might see these 1-CD & 2-CD compilations in the racks at their local record shop or department store, and say to themselves, "I heard that The Beach Boys have recently reunited. I don't have much of their music in my collection, and these greatest hits packages have all or most of the Beach Boys hits that I remember. I think I'll buy this."

2. Twelve reissues of original albums. People who already have a greatest hits CD in their collection, and are seeking to delve deeper into the group's music may pick up some of the Beach Boys albums that they remember best, or may have once owned on vinyl or cassette. In addition, the CD debut of the mono mixes of 5 albums, and the first time in stereo release of 4 albums mean that at least 9 of these reissues will also be purchased by Beach Boys completests; hard-core fans.

3. A box set which is a collectors product that will only be purchased by completest, hard-core fans.

Obviously, after it was decided to release the 12 back catalogue discs internationally(I.E. outside Japan), there were manufacturing delays, forcing the September to October postponement. Were the 12 discs newly mastered for the international release? We don't know yet.

But the dilemma that Capitol's marketing people have is this: because the market for the 12 catalogue CD's partly overlaps with the market for a box set, would releasing the box set within the same season as the 12 catalogue CD's hurt sales on the 12 catalogue CD's? Perhaps, but the avid fans have already decided whether to buy the box set, and whether they will buy some or all of the 12 catalogue CD's.

Capitol has obviously decided that the market can't absorb (I.E. afford) having the 12 catalogue CD's & the box set released within the same season.

Do I resent Capitol? Yes. They were the ones who, earlier in 2012 promised a career-spanning box set "later this year".

The box set can't be in limbo, the Pope decided a few years ago that limbo no longer existed so your argument is invalid.

The type of limbo you refer to is the one where two guys are "Waiting for Godot", right? Well, as we all know, Godot never shows up.

I, on the other hand, am refering to a CD release limbo; release at some yet to be decided date.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »

Originally, until the box set apparently fell into limbo, this 50th anniversary Compact Disc campaign had three parts. They were:

1. 1-CD & 2-CD greatest hits sets aimed at casual consumers; people who might see these 1-CD & 2-CD compilations in the racks at their local record shop or department store, and say to themselves, "I heard that The Beach Boys have recently reunited. I don't have much of their music in my collection, and these greatest hits packages have all or most of the Beach Boys hits that I remember. I think I'll buy this."

2. Twelve reissues of original albums. People who already have a greatest hits CD in their collection, and are seeking to delve deeper into the group's music may pick up some of the Beach Boys albums that they remember best, or may have once owned on vinyl or cassette. In addition, the CD debut of the mono mixes of 5 albums, and the first time in stereo release of 4 albums mean that at least 9 of these reissues will also be purchased by Beach Boys completests; hard-core fans.

3. A box set which is a collectors product that will only be purchased by completest, hard-core fans.

Obviously, after it was decided to release the 12 back catalogue discs internationally(I.E. outside Japan), there were manufacturing delays, forcing the September to October postponement. Were the 12 discs newly mastered for the international release? We don't know yet.

But the dilemma that Capitol's marketing people have is this: because the market for the 12 catalogue CD's partly overlaps with the market for a box set, would releasing the box set within the same season as the 12 catalogue CD's hurt sales on the 12 catalogue CD's? Perhaps, but the avid fans have already decided whether to buy the box set, and whether they will buy some or all of the 12 catalogue CD's.

Capitol has obviously decided that the market can't absorb (I.E. afford) having the 12 catalogue CD's & the box set released within the same season.

Do I resent Capitol? Yes. They were the ones who, earlier in 2012 promised a career-spanning box set "later this year".

The box set can't be in limbo, the Pope decided a few years ago that limbo no longer existed so your argument is invalid.

The type of limbo you refer to is the one where two guys are "Waiting for Godot", right? Well, as we all know, Godot never shows up.

I, on the other hand, am refering to a CD release limbo; release at some yet to be decided date.

It's been delayed WITH A RELEASE DATE (Jan 2013).

I'll give you a secret in all caps, maybe you have trouble reading lower case letters?

NEW BOX NOT CANCELLED. NEW BOX DELAYED.

SMILE BOX NEVER CANCELLED. SMILE BOX DELAYED. SMILE BOX CAME OUT.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

Is Leonardo DiCaprio stuck in limbo?

Paulos
« Reply #454 on: September 18, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »

I am well aware of what you were referring to Philip, I was trying to make light of your post which seems to have gone over your head by a large margin.

Here is a picture of the Pope to keep you occupied while you are waiting for the box-set of that band you don't listen anymore.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »

See, I'm with you until the last few sentences.  Capitol has seemingly (to you) decided that the market can't absorb the multiple packages.  It may be true, it may not.  As we all should know, the delay (if there is one) could be for any number of reasons. 

You resent Capitol?  Really?  It's just a box set, man.  So a 2012 release date was initially announced, and now there are rumors that the date has been pushed back to mid-January.  If the January rumor is true, you really resent Capitol for missing the mark on thier original announcement by a few days?  Phil.  Listen.  The sun will come out again.   
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »

My Mystic from the East and spiritual adviser, Carnac the Magnificent, divines to me that the outcry from fans
for "WIBNTLA" (which wasn't originally slated for the box set) has forced Capitol Records to find the track and remaster it.

Thus the delay.

Carnac is now on a spiritual retreat in India with Andrew G. Doe in order to divine the eventual release date of the box set.
These messages from the "netherworld" can be slow in coming so Carnac advices all to meditate daily and be patient.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

1 & 3, broadly correct. 2, totally wrong. All the 2fers, 1962-1985, are still on catalog and easy enough to pick up on amazon, ebay or download.

You might not know (in fact, by virtue of what you're saying, you patently don't), but a lot of folk do. Additionally, you don't have to be Sherlock holmes to work out the probable truth.

Love the use of the word "obviously" without the least shred of supporting evidence... especially coming from someone who had demonstrated time after time over the past year and more that he has no greater grasp of what's actually happeining here than Sarah Palin has of foreign relations.

The mono/stereo reissues are a niche product, as is the box, ergo there is, in truth, no real overlap as the dedicated fan will purchase both. Or some. Or one. Whatever, no real conflict. The big bucks are in the GH collections - which btw the hard-core will also buy becuase...

1 - it's what we do...

2 - there are some first time stereo remixes.

Lest we forget, Cohen's entire edifice of sackcloth and ashes is built on the exceedingly shaky foundation of one website of dubious provenence and origin saying the box is delayed. Capitol hasn't said word one about any delay, a circumstance which previously invariably reduced Cohen to near-orgasmic fits of indignation. Except when it suits, of course.  Grin And if the box is delayed for a few months ? BFD. So what ? Can't speak for anyone else here, but it's not at the top of my Top 10 life priorities right now. Not even close.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:51:37 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PhilCohen
« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

1 & 3, broadly correct. 2, totally wrong. All the 2fers, 1962-1985, are still on catalog and easy enough to pick up on amazon, ebay or download.

You might not know (in fact, by virtue of what you're saying, you patently don't), but a lot of folk do. Additionally, you don't have to be Sherlock holmes to work out the probable truth.

Love the use of the word "obviously" without the least shred of supporting evidence... especially coming from someone who had demonstrated time after time over the past year and more that he has no greater grasp of what's actually happeining here than Sarah Palin has of foreign relations.

The mono/stereo reissues are a niche product, as is the box, ergo there is, in truth, no real overlap as the dedicated fan will purchase both. Or some. Or one. Whatever, no real conflict. The big bucks are in the GH collections - which btw the hard-core will also buy becuase...

1 - it's what we do...

Lest we forget, Cohen's entire edifice of sackcloth and ashes is built on the exceedingly shaky foundation of one website of dubious provenence and origin saying the box is delayed. Capitol hasn't said word one about any delay, a circumstance which previously invariably reduced Cohen to near-orgasmic fits of indignation. Except when it suits, of course.  Grin And if the box is delayed for a few months ? BFD. So what ? Can't speak for anyone else here, but it's not at the top of my Top 10 life priorities right now. Not even close.

But YOU were the one who insisted that the box set would be released in November, and you belittled those people who doubted your statement.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #459 on: September 18, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »

"Carnac: “WIBNTLA”

Ed: “WIBNTLA”

Carnac: “May Jeff Foskett make a second home in your Smile Sessions box.”

Ed: “HIYOOOO! HO HO HO HO!”

Carnac: “WIBNTLA”

Carnac: “What’s the abbreviation for ‘Worrywort Imbeciles Bemoaning Non-Existant Tracklists Like Assholes’?”

Ed: "HIYOOOO! HO HO HO HO!"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

Carnac: “What’s the abbreviation for ‘Worrywort Imbeciles Bemoaning Non-Existant Tracklists Like Assholes’?”

Holy sh-

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »

"Carnac: “WIBNTLA”

Carnac: “May Jeff Foskett make a second home in your Smile Sessions box.”

Ed: “HIYOOOO! HO HO HO HO!”

Carnac: “WIBNTLA”

Ed: "HIYOOOO! HO HO HO HO!"

Love ya.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »

1 - it's what we do...

But YOU were the one who insisted that the box set would be released in November, and you belittled those people who doubted your statement.

Dead Horse

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

Let's wait until 23.59.59 on 11/30/12, shall we ?

Oh, and YOU are the one who insisted that The Smile Sessions would never be released.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:59:27 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

* tEh sMiLe sEsSiOnS~~~

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: September 18, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »

Do we actually know for a fact that the box set has been delayed or are we just going by that website that gave it a January 2013 release date?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rogerlancelot
« Reply #466 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »

I hate to bring this up on another thread, but I feel it is needed here. Again, my fart:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzk6ja36h9r5h1q

Now if everybody would just shut the f*** up and listen to my fart then we would have world peace.

police
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

I'm really looking forward to some new info on Made in California
Well, I could give you some*... but then I'd have to kill you, of course.  LOL

By not giving us the information, you won't be killing us...that means you're letting us live. Therefore, concrete evidence "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again)" will be on the box. Thanks AGD!  Thumbs Up
Mad as a box of seriously insane frogs.

Swedish Frogs?

Hey, whatever happened to that Swedish Frog guy, anyway?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »

I don't care about the delay.

I will use the extra time to study up on the stereo/mono mixes and then go back to re-appreciate In the Key of Disney, which has gotten totally lost in all the excitement.....

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
PhilCohen
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »

Mr.Doe, you've done a fabulous, unfailing job in keeping secrets for your insider pals (who created the Wall of Secrecy). Now we'll see how loyal they are to you. Perhaps, if they really ARE loyal to you, they'll have a change of heart, and release the "Made in California" box set  this year, hence sparing you from humiliation.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 18, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »

Mr.Doe, you've done a fabulous, unfailing job in keeping secrets for your insider pals (who created the Wall of Secrecy). Now we'll see how loyal they are to you. Perhaps, if they really ARE loyal to you, they'll have a change of heart, and release the "Made in California" box set  this year, hence sparing you from humiliation.

If Andrew does have so-called "insider pals," I don't think the release date of a box set should affect their friendship.  LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

What the hell are you talking about? The wall of secrecy and the "delays/cancelations" are all in your head until a Capitol announcement.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 18, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

I hate to bring this up on another thread, but I feel it is needed here. Again, my fart:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzk6ja36h9r5h1q

Now if everybody would just shut the f*** up and listen to my fart then we would have world peace.

police

That was a good fart, I presume you've eaten a large helping of red meat recently?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »

Please get some help mate

Seriously

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 18, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »

I was spying on the insiders and what I gathered:

Disc 1: 15 Big Ones sessions
Disc 2: MIU sessions
Disc 3: BB85 sessions
Disc 4: Summer in Paradise sessions
Bonus disc includes Bruce 2012 cover of Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again
            and an interview of John Stamos discussing his years with the Beach Boys

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx