gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:54:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 320269 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »

I like RR's posts, and while it's true that her perspectives on the BBs are not "mainstream," I find them to be fascinating. She's one of the posters here that I consistently enjoy reading--so please let's not drive her away, OK??
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

C'mon Capitol, share some news… good people are getting ansty…

Agree. Given that a November release is likely, which is a mere 2 months away, a press release would be the normal thing to do now.

Yeah. Capitol really love leaving it down to the wire

I like RR's posts, and while it's true that her perspectives on the BBs are not "mainstream," I find them to be fascinating. She's one of the posters here that I consistently enjoy reading--so please let's not drive her away, OK??

This..

So many people get driven away from this board because some of the "older" posters have a hard time accepting other people opinions.

RR is a great poster, very interesting. I hope she sticks around
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:17:42 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »

Agree. Given that a November release is likely, which is a mere 2 months away, a press release would be the normal thing to do now.

This..

So many people get driven away from this board because some of the "older" posters have a hard time accepting other people opinions.

Ditto. Although i don't believe that photo is really her...
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

This..

Ditto. Although i don't believe that photo is really her...

It's not. That's Jenny Boyd - inspiration to Donovan's 'Jennifer Juniper', not to mention Mick Fleetwood's ex-wife.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »

I wasn't trying to drive anyone away at all, I was just offering my own honest opinions, which is more honorable than treating someone with kid gloves because of their gender (in my opinion). Newguy562 got plenty more stick for having less "controversial" opinions than this person has, and that isn't really fair, in retrospect.
Like I said, I'm sure "RangeRover" is a fine person.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 07, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »

"TM Song" is a highlight for me too, especially the "sometimesitgoesrealfast and other times it goes reeaalll slllooowww" part. It's a heck of a lot better than "Transcendental Meditation" on Friends which sounds like the jazz combo in hell led my Minnie Mouse.

I have no idea what younger (under 30) hardcore Beach Boys fans consider greatness nowadays. I. Spaceman talks about "EVERY OTHER PERSON ON EARTH" and such, but remember those perspectives constantly change. They're never set in stone. From my own experience, in the 80's hardcore Beach Boys fans were all about SMiLE and hardcore fans I knew didn't care for much after the Surf's Up album. In the 90's, everybody rediscovered Sunflower and Holland and then in the 00's it was Love You that became the big deal. I know quite a few fans here are kids in their 20's so it's always interesting for me to read what they're into, but you can be sure the next generation will come along and claim "MIU" is the undiscovered masterpiece or something like that, etc. It's one of the joys of a rather large Beach Boys catalog. 

Arguing about it is just useless.   
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 07, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

Newguy got sh*t for more than just his strange opinions.

imo.

I love him and miss him, however.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

imo.

He left?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

imo.

He left?

He just doesn't post nearly as often as he used to, and rarely in this section of the boards.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »

"TM Song" is a highlight for me too, especially the "sometimesitgoesrealfast and other times it goes reeaalll slllooowww" part. It's a heck of a lot better than "Transcendental Meditation" on Friends which sounds like the jazz combo in hell led my Minnie Mouse.

I have no idea what younger (under 30) hardcore Beach Boys fans consider greatness nowadays. I. Spaceman talks about "EVERY OTHER PERSON ON EARTH" and such, but remember those perspectives constantly change. They're never set in stone. From my own experience, in the 80's hardcore Beach Boys fans were all about SMiLE and hardcore fans I knew didn't care for much after the Surf's Up album. In the 90's, everybody rediscovered Sunflower and Holland and then in the 00's it was Love You that became the big deal. I know quite a few fans here are kids in their 20's so it's always interesting for me to read what they're into, but you can be sure the next generation will come along and claim "MIU" is the undiscovered masterpiece or something like that, etc. It's one of the joys of a rather large Beach Boys catalog. 

Arguing about it is just useless.   

MIU will forever be garbage. I'm under 30, so that's my opinion on it.

As more archive material shows up, perhaps ppl will wonder how great SU, Caribou or LA Light coulda been? Even 15BO can have some merit one day, tbh I don't hate it anymore. KTSA, MIU, and everything else after will be in the bin. This includes TWGMTR which is great considering it came out against all odds now. But it is from too distant a period from their heyday in the 60's and 70's to be remembered. It will always remain with me a fun listen.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 07, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »

Well I'm 15, And my top 5 albums are

1. Pet Sounds
2. Smile
3. Friends
4. Love You
5. Sunflower

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

MIU will forever be garbage. I'm under 30, so that's my opinion on it.

I like MIU. It's not nearly as dull as LA, just about even with KTSA. It has some good songs, nice melodies, Brian sounds good on it. It's a little cheezy, but it doesn't rely too much on covers and the sound is pretty organic. I'm under 30, so that's my opinion on it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

I love M.I.U .., i think its one of their best from the 70's....  im 28  Grin
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:44:36 PM by veryape » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »

I like Skatetown USA.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »

Yeah.............................we need a track list

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »

As more archive material shows up, perhaps ppl will wonder how great SU, Caribou or LA Light coulda been?

This message board is notorious (in a good way, IMO....it's fun) for constantly adding and subtracting from original albums to improve them. MIU is no different from the ones you listed, as far as potential for improving that is.

15 Big Ones had 15 tracks and Love You had 14. By the time they got done with MIU, it was 12 tracks. You add "Winter Symphony", "Mike Come Back To L.A.", and close the album with "Our Team" and MIU is improved by a full grade.  

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

Well I'm 15, And my top 5 albums are

1. Pet Sounds
2. Smile
3. Friends
4. Love You
5. Sunflower

That's cool. When I was 15, only your #1 was available (on cassette). I had to borrow vinyl from an older fan and make tapes of #3, 4 and 5. I have to say that, in nosing around here, I'm a little surprised that "Today" doesn't rate higher with everybody. The worst part about Capitol cassettes in the 80's was that Capitol had a nasty habit of deleting songs and then collecting them onto new compilation like "Be True To Your School". The pre-Pet Sounds albums were short enough as it is, now I had to fork over extra $$ to get a fictitious album so I could have the complete catalog.

Back to the box set talk, seeing as how nothing has been officially announced I'm doing what I always do when it comes to Beach Boys archival releases...expecting the worst (no box set at all) but hoping for the best.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »

Today is an interesting album for me, I really really dislike all the current CD mixes, so I bought it on vinyl. It's one of my favorite albums... but only half.

If that album took side 2 of SD and side 2 of today, you have an amazing precursor to Pet Sounds.

I LOVE Today! But it isn't as consistently good as the albums I picked.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

Today is an interesting album for me, I really really dislike all the current CD mixes, so I bought it on vinyl. It's one of my favorite albums... but only half.

If that album took side 2 of SD and side 2 of today, you have an amazing precursor to Pet Sounds.

Interesting..

Which songs do you think are the pitfalls?

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »

As more archive material shows up, perhaps ppl will wonder how great SU, Caribou or LA Light coulda been?

This message board is notorious (in a good way, IMO....it's fun) for constantly adding and subtracting from original albums to improve them. MIU is no different from the ones you listed, as far as potential for improving that is.

15 Big Ones had 15 tracks and Love You had 14. By the time they got done with MIU, it was 12 tracks. You add "Winter Symphony", "Mike Come Back To L.A.", and close the album with "Our Team" and MIU is improved by a full grade.  

Is this circulating??

About ten years later of being a hardcore fan, I have finally just started getting into the '85 album and beyond BB-wise. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy it when I first heard it. I'm also getting heavily into the bootleg shows available. I liked pretty much everything else either right away or within a couple years of listening.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »

Is this circulating??

About ten years later of being a hardcore fan, I have finally just started getting into the '85 album and beyond BB-wise. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy it when I first heard it. I'm also getting heavily into the bootleg shows available. I liked pretty much everything else either right away or within a couple years of listening.

For some reason, that "Our Team" mini-documentary hasn't been on YouTube for a long time. I have a not-so-good copy on a VHS tape somewhere.

The "Mike Come Back To L.A." segment is the highlight of the documentary - or ANY documentary IMO. It's actually fairly long. It shows Brian and Mike working out the song in the studio; Brian is at the piano showing Mike the parts. Then they have footage of the recording session with a lot of people around; Brian is briefly shown handing out the harmony parts. Then they play a pretty long segment of the song; it's obviously not complete, you can hear that parts are missing.

But the absolute best moment is when they show the most "up", laughing, and lucid Brian I have ever seen - post 1975. He's playing the piano and making funny faces and trying to crack up Mike. You can feel the power others have talked about regarding Brian in the studio when he's on.

Anyway, I really liked the song, "Mike Come Back To L.A.", which became "Some Of Your Love", which I also like.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »

Interesting..

Don't Hurt My Little Sister, and Bull Sessions on each side, now that I look... it's not quite as bad as I thought...

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

Is this circulating??

For some reason, that "Our Team" mini-documentary hasn't been on YouTube for a long time. I have a not-so-good copy on a VHS tape somewhere.

The "Mike Come Back To L.A." segment is the highlight of the documentary - or ANY documentary IMO. It's actually fairly long. It shows Brian and Mike working out the song in the studio; Brian is at the piano showing Mike the parts. Then they have footage of the recording session with a lot of people around; Brian is briefly shown handing out the harmony parts. Then they play a pretty long segment of the song; it's obviously not complete, you can hear that parts are missing.

But the absolute best moment is when they show the most "up", laughing, and lucid Brian I have ever seen - post 1975. He's playing the piano and making funny faces and trying to crack up Mike. You can feel the power others have talked about regarding Brian in the studio when he's on.

Anyway, I really liked the song, "Mike Come Back To L.A.", which became "Some Of Your Love", which I also like.

I want.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »

Interesting..

Don't Hurt My Little Sister, and Bull Sessions on each side, now that I look... it's not quite as bad as I thought...

I contend that sequencing that album differently would make it a cooler listen - not many agree with that. The ballads are all knockouts for sure, but there isn't enough variety on the first side to keep a smooth flow. All good songs, though (give or take Ronda).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »

Is this circulating??

Interesting...this kind of sounds similar to the (I think?) KTSA doc. It has Brian saying something and the whole band erupts into laughter. But I remember them working out "Goin' to the Beach" at the piano on that one.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx