gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681218 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 11:03:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44765 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »

I shouldn't be a dick ...  Grin

They only had the money (or could only charge so high a price) to cover publishing rights for four disc's worth of songs. But they wanted to add a bit more, so they assembled a disc that could only feature alternate versions of tracks already on other discs in the set.

In other words, if they hadn't done it that way, they couldn't have afforded to do a five-disc set at all.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I hoped there would be a lot of vault releases over the past two years to celebrate the 50th anniversary. And to be honest, we got SMiLE, so we can't really complain.  However, I'm not gonna lie, there are some things I soooo want to hear, like "California Feelin'" from 1974, "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Where Is She" and maybe even "In The Back Of My Mind" from 1975.

So anyways, I hoped that maybe we'd get an entirely reissued catalogue in the US, and possibly deluxe reissues of albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up. But that's not looking likely, and that's ok. My main thing is getting to hear most of the aforementioned tracks and I think the box set will probably include a lot of cool stuff. I'm of the opinion that it will be even better than the 1993 box set. I think a lot of you are freaking out that we might not get any cool previously unreleased stuff, but I think the box will be a treasure trove. I don't know why people thought we were gonna get like a bunch of different archival sets. I saw what Capitol said in the press release and I expect to get what they said we would (i.e. the new studio album, a new box set, and a new hits collection).

And I'm pretty excited about the hits collection too. I'm intrigued to see how they do it. I honestly hope they don't just do hits, but actually do a "best-of". Like I think "Surfin' USA" and "California Girls" should share space on the same album as "Surf's Up" and "This Whole World". Maybe I'm expecting a bit much, but I think the band should take a risk with this. Once your everyday person sees "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Surfin' Safari", et al on the back cover, they'll probably get it anyways, so why not include some more artistic, but just as valid tracks, rather than say "Shut Down" or "409", although I love those songs too.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:07:52 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »

Anyone considered the possibility that either the original poster or Al got their wires crossed, and "50 Big Ones" is the title of the "new hits collection" mentioned in the original quote, rather than the "career-spanning box set"?

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »

Anyone considered the possibility that either the original poster or Al got their wires crossed, and "50 Big Ones" is the title of the "new hits collection" mentioned in the original quote, rather than the "career-spanning box set"?

Cause that would make much more sense than a box set with only 50 tracks.  You could easily fit 50 Beach Boys songs onto a two-disc hits package.  And no wonder WIBNTLA wouldn't be included in it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

That was my speculation ...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13842.msg303772.html#msg303772
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2012, 03:03:56 AM »

I shouldn't be a dick ...  Grin

They only had the money (or could only charge so high a price) to cover publishing rights for four disc's worth of songs. But they wanted to add a bit more, so they assembled a disc that could only feature alternate versions of tracks already on other discs in the set.

In other words, if they hadn't done it that way, they couldn't have afforded to do a five-disc set at all.

Not only that, but that's why the fifth disc focuses pretty much only on early stuff and nothing past 1967 -- if you use more than five minutes of a song you start paying by the minute on that song. Two performances of a two minute song come under the five minute mark and so you still only pay one fee. Two performances of a *three*-minute song come to $10.50 per copy rather than $9.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »

If there are no older songs "from the vault" I'm not buying the box set.  So if anyone from Capitol is reading this, I own all the Beach Boys classics, don't need to buy them again.  If WIBNTLA is in the box along with some other decent unreleased songs, I'll make the investment. 
Jason
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »

If there are no older songs "from the vault" I'm not buying the box set.  So if anyone from Capitol is reading this, I own all the Beach Boys classics, don't need to buy them again.  If WIBNTLA is in the box along with some other decent unreleased songs, I'll make the investment. 

You know that Capitol has no say on what, if any, unreleased tracks are included, correct?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »

Okay, I amend my comments to say if anyone affiliated with the Beach Boys is reading this thread, I'm not buying the box set unless there unreleased tracks on it.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

GASP! You monster!

Insert rampant, uninformed speculation here.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

I'm probably not going to buy the boxset even if there's like 12 rarities... i'll just download the tracks i don't have from itunes or something. No way i'm buying another disc with surfin' usa and california girls on it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yep. I think we have a winner here. At least, one that gets my vote. 50 songs does not a box set make.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »

Wasn't the Beatles' anthology two times 2 Cds? That could also be the case for the Beach Boys if there's gonna be a documentary (orsomething similar) with it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yep. I think we have a winner here. At least, one that gets my vote. 50 songs does not a box set make.

King Crimson disagrees with you.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Wasn't the Beatles' anthology two times 2 Cds? That could also be the case for the Beach Boys if there's gonna be a documentary (orsomething similar) with it

Three times two CD's  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »

I'm probably not going to buy the boxset even if there's like 12 rarities... i'll just download the tracks i don't have from itunes or something. No way i'm buying another disc with surfin' usa and california girls on it.

Yeah. I mean, I had to live off essentially nothing for a few months because of the Smile box. Curse my poverty.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

A year from now, when we're all buzzing about track possibilities on The Next Album (TM) -- Al Jardine will give an interview insisting that "Waves of Love" will be on it as well.

Yup!  It's the new "Proud Mary". 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »

King Crimson disagrees with you.

...yeah but for King Crimson, 50 songs means a total running time of about two days!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

Just read the update, not sure what to think..

We've gotten so much already but the real icing on the cape would've been remastered albums and rarities..

I won't give up hope 

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

For the two disc compilation it should be something that appeals to the public but also has enough variety on it to appeal to the more hardcore fans. Here’s a playlist I made a while ago to fit on two discs, which I have copy and pasted from iTunes. Smiley

(Beach Boys: The Best Of (Disc One) Time: 1:18:47, 31 songs)

California Girls   
I Get Around   
Surfin' Safari   
Surfin' USA   
Be True To Your School
All Summer Long   
Little Deuce Coupe   
Shut Down   
Catch A Wave
Surfer Girl   
In My Room   
Sloop John B [Stereo Mix]   
The Warmth Of The Sun   
Add Some Music To Your Day   
Dance, Dance, Dance   
Fun, Fun, Fun (Single Version)   
Barbara Ann (Single Version)   
Darlin'   
Do It Again   
Don't Worry Baby
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy   
Girls On The Beach   
That's Why God Made The Radio   
I Can Hear Music   
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)   
California Saga/California   
It's OK   
California Dreamin'   
Kokomo   

(Beach Boys: The Best Of (Disc Two) Time: 1:19:45, 26 songs)

Wouldn't It Be Nice [Stereo Mix]
Break Away
Help Me Rhonda (Single Version)
This Whole World
Good Vibrations
Heroes And Villains (Stereo Mix)
Time To Get Alone
God Only Knows [Stereo Mix]
Kiss Me, Baby (Stereo Remix)
The Little Girl I Once Knew (Single Version)
Good Timin'
Marcella
Sail On, Sailor
All This Is That
Feel Flows
Forever
She Knows Me Too Well
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Friends
Aren't You Glad
Let The Wind Blow
Wonderful
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times [Stereo Mix]
Surf’s Up
Caroline No [Stereo Mix]
Summer's Gone
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

They also could just use the setlist(s) the Beach Boys are playing on this tour. Strange Town's tracklist looks a lot like that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »

I hope the hit package's track order is chronological this time around.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

For the two disc compilation it should be something that appeals to the public but also has enough variety on it to appeal to the more hardcore fans. Here’s a playlist I made a while ago to fit on two discs, which I have copy and pasted from iTunes. Smiley

(Beach Boys: The Best Of (Disc One) Time: 1:18:47, 31 songs)

California Girls   
I Get Around   
Surfin' Safari   
Surfin' USA   
Be True To Your School
All Summer Long   
Little Deuce Coupe   
Shut Down   
Catch A Wave
Surfer Girl   
In My Room   
Sloop John B [Stereo Mix]   
The Warmth Of The Sun   
Add Some Music To Your Day   
Dance, Dance, Dance   
Fun, Fun, Fun (Single Version)   
Barbara Ann (Single Version)   
Darlin'   
Do It Again   
Don't Worry Baby
Please Let Me Wonder
Wendy   
Girls On The Beach   
That's Why God Made The Radio   
I Can Hear Music   
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)   
California Saga/California   
It's OK   
California Dreamin'   
Kokomo   

(Beach Boys: The Best Of (Disc Two) Time: 1:19:45, 26 songs)

Wouldn't It Be Nice [Stereo Mix]
Break Away
Help Me Rhonda (Single Version)
This Whole World
Good Vibrations
Heroes And Villains (Stereo Mix)
Time To Get Alone
God Only Knows [Stereo Mix]
Kiss Me, Baby (Stereo Remix)
The Little Girl I Once Knew (Single Version)
Good Timin'
Marcella
Sail On, Sailor
All This Is That
Feel Flows
Forever
She Knows Me Too Well
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Friends
Aren't You Glad
Let The Wind Blow
Wonderful
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times [Stereo Mix]
Surf’s Up
Caroline No [Stereo Mix]
Summer's Gone

Nice tracklist.
Not sure if they'd include a track (or more) from TWGMTR, though. Maybe the title track, maybe "Spring Vacation" (then being the 2nd single release from TWGMTR).  But it won't be "Summer's Gone".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »

I hope the hit package's track order is chronological this time around.

Yeah, I agree. The lack of chronological order and poor sequencing hurts the flow of Sounds Of Summer. However, I played around with a possible "50 Big Ones" compilation and, if you use chronological order, it is very difficult to get a proper flow and make some sense of it. Soooooooooo, I came up with what I think would be a great comp for any Beach Boys' fan, especially the casual fan who would buy such a comp. I made my own sequence and made sure that each album was represented:

THE BEACH BOYS - 50 Years - A Celebration

Disc 1

01. Surfin' Safari
02. Surfin' U.S.A.
03. Surfer Girl
04. Fun, Fun, Fun
05. Please Let Me Wonder
06. You're So Good To Me
07. Little Honda
08. All Summer Long
09. In My Room
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Little Deuce Coupe
12. 409
13. Shut Down
14. Don't Worry Baby
15. I Get Around
16. Be True To Your School
17. Dance, Dance, Dance
18. Do You Wanna Dance
19. Wendy
20. The Warmth Of The Sun
21. Help Me, Rhonda
22. Barbara Ann
23. Kiss Me, Baby
24. Let Him Run Wild
25. California Girls

Disc 2

01. Good Vibrations
02. Wouldn't It Be Nice
03. God Only Knows
04. Sloop John B
05. Heroes And Villains
06. Friends
07. Do It Again
08. I Can Hear Music
09. Marcella
10. Darlin'
11. This Whole World
12. Forever
13. Til I Die
14. Surf's Up
15. Sail On Sailor
16. Rock And Roll Music
17. It's OK
18. The Night Was So Young
19. Come Go With Me
20. Good Timin'
21. Goin' On
22. Getcha Back
23. Kokomo
24. Lahaina Aloha
25. That's Why God Made The Radio

What'd think? Additions or subtractions? Sequence?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »

Great list, but you will never see Lahaina Aloha on a comp. I don't think Capitol has the Rights. Though, I guess they could buy the rights to one song. Nice addition, nonetheless.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

It's a testament to the amazing quality of the Beach Boys songs particularly in between 1964-1970 that even 2 crammed discs of 50 or more songs doesn't feature all of their best tunes. Cool I think The Beatles are the only other group that could come close to that many top notch songs in a 2-cd set. Anyway Sheriff's playlist looks great and if you replace  Lahaina Aloha with Surf's Up it's almost unbeatable! Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx