gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681294 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 10:21:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44793 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »

I am interested if, in this swirl of report (yes, I admit i am interested) we have any sense of a new studio album; that's the one question  I would ask anyone if I had an audience; I want a comprehensive catalogue, yes, but I want another "BB album." Don't you?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »

Al doesn't know what WIBNTLA is! How is he supposed to confirm a song he doesn't know about is on a boxset he isn't compiling.... I guess the band aren't so involved in the work for the boxset at this time because they're touring, but the people who are actually working on it are considering WIBNTLA (See Ponghits 'meeting Alan Boyd' thread).

Plus, Al is a ditz, god love him.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »

50 Big Ones is such a lame-ass title for a box set...  Undecided and I don't have high hopes for it, either. 95% of it we will already have. Maybe 1-2 unreleased tracks, a few new stereo mixes, and the rest of the box set will be comprised of the usual singles and album cuts. Anything else would be a huge suprise.

Meanwhile, my hopes for cool archival releases are fading quickly...  Undecided
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »

"I think listening to Al for definitive details on this sort of thing is probably silly."

Yup.  Like Bruce saying Little Girl... was on Summer Days...

Honk! Honk!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »

I must applaud fans that dare talking to band members about our very own fanboy stuff. I wouldn't dare to ask any of them about what's included in a box set after a 3 hour long Reunion Concert. Different strokes, it seems.

In the end, no news good or bad.

And I'll take a NEW STUDIO BEACH BOYS ALBUM over some hyped-up outtake, no matter how good it actually is, that will eventually see the light of day anyways.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »

50 Big Ones is such a lame-ass title for a box set...  Undecided and I don't have high hopes for it, either. 95% of it we will already have. Maybe 1-2 unreleased tracks, a few new stereo mixes, and the rest of the box set will be comprised of the usual singles and album cuts. Anything else would be a huge suprise.

Meanwhile, my hopes for cool archival releases are fading quickly...  Undecided
Oh my, you must be channeling Phil. Wink Be patient. Worry when there's a reason to worry. Plus, who knows, maybe Al got the compilation and box set confused.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »

50 Big Ones is such a lame-ass title for a box set...  Undecided and I don't have high hopes for it, either. 95% of it we will already have. Maybe 1-2 unreleased tracks, a few new stereo mixes, and the rest of the box set will be comprised of the usual singles and album cuts. Anything else would be a huge suprise.

Meanwhile, my hopes for cool archival releases are fading quickly...  Undecided
Oh my, you must be channeling Phil. Wink Be patient. Worry when there's a reason to worry. Plus, who knows, maybe Al got the compilation and box set confused.
Thing is: 50 Big Ones won't be the title for an actual box of (hitherto unreased) archive material. Right? So.. where's the news on stuff from the archives?  Huh

It's most likely that 50 Big Ones will turn out to be a 'little brother' to the GV box set (1993). A couple of new mixes, maybe a few unreleased songs but the majority of it will be the Sounds of Summer tracklist (with a few more 80s and 90 tracks thrown in).
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »

I'll wait and see what finally gets released before I'm up in arms...but the Beach Boys do have a history of shooting themselves in the foot...just sayin'...

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »

A year from now, when we're all buzzing about track possibilities on The Next Album (TM) -- Al Jardine will give an interview insisting that "Waves of Love" will be on it as well.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »

And I'll take a NEW STUDIO BEACH BOYS ALBUM over some hyped-up outtake, no matter how good it actually is, that will eventually see the light of day anyways.
Me too.  At some point, we can always get the unreleased stuff.  But we're not going to get new stuff for much longer.  If there's a window open right now for NEW RECORDINGS  Shocked -- by golly....git'er done!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:05:39 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2012, 09:29:56 AM »

Original post updated

Hey SurfRider, thanks for the update!  VERY interesting!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »

4. Next, in search of my date; found Mr. Mike Love.  Yes, the next Mike/Bruce tour is booked.  Donʻt think Al is gonna be on it, nor Brian of course.  It was an experience, interacting with Mr. Love, Iʻll never forget; and leave it at that.

So, that was the backstage hijink that went previously undisclosed?

She's either not the right girl for you or that's a lot to forgive.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

As for WIBNTLA, I somehow believe Al's words that it won't be included, whatever upsetting news it is. If he's wrong I - as a BBs fan - would be only happy to hear it, of course!

Well, as noted, Al hadn't even heard of the song, so I wouldn't put too much stock into his statement  being the sole determinant of whether or not it's going to be released on the upcoming box....or in the future. Hey...he'll "check it out."  Smiley

Thus, if a final track line-up for this box even exists (which I seriously doubt, considering the "recording new material" comment), I'd reckon Al doesn't even fully know what that is yet in terms of specifics. Rather, it just sounds like he was making a vague and general acknowledgment of the box set's release, with only some details (e.g. its title).

I mean, when the Smile box was first announced, Al mentioned that it was his impression that "more recording" was necessary to bring it to full fruition. So....grain of salt.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:57:35 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »

I'm certain the box set will be the definitive collection of Beach Boys tracks. No reason why it shouldn't be now. Probably won't be cheap either, but I'm sure most of us will be buying it.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

I'm certain the box set will be the definitive collection of Beach Boys tracks. No reason why it shouldn't be now. Probably won't be cheap either, but I'm sure most of us will be buying it.
What would be "the definitive collection" for you? How would it be more (...) definitive than the GV box set? What constitutes "definitive", anyway?  Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

50 Big Ones is such a lame-ass title for a box set...  Undecided and I don't have high hopes for it, either. 95% of it we will already have. Maybe 1-2 unreleased tracks, a few new stereo mixes, and the rest of the box set will be comprised of the usual singles and album cuts. Anything else would be a huge suprise.

Thing is: 50 Big Ones won't be the title for an actual box of (hitherto unreased) archive material. Right? So.. where's the news on stuff from the archives?  Huh

It's most likely that 50 Big Ones will turn out to be a 'little brother' to the GV box set (1993). A couple of new mixes, maybe a few unreleased songs but the majority of it will be the Sounds of Summer tracklist (with a few more 80s and 90 tracks thrown in).

No one has EVER said the boxed set would be all unreleased archival material.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »

No, of course not. And I didn't imply that, either.  Huh The new career-spanning box set and the archival release(s) are supposed to be two different things.
What I wanted to point out is the fact that another box set (next to the '93 GV set and Sounds of Summer) naturally won't contain anything really 'new' to us, while there's still no word on releases of archive material, i.e. actually unreleased stuff (which was originally announced).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »

No, of course not. And I didn't imply that, either.  Huh The new career-spanning box set and the archival release(s) are supposed to be two different things.
What I wanted to point out is the fact that another box set (next to the '93 GV set and Sounds of Summer) naturally won't contain anything really 'new' to us, while there's still no word on releases of archive material, i.e. actually unreleased stuff (which was originally announced).

Well, I would expect a large -- five-plus disc -- "career-spanning" set. Given that it won't duplicate GV exactly, we could see a few rarities on that.

As for archival releases, you seem to be wrong. There is nothing in the original press release talking about unreleased material. This is the quote:

"The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI have also teamed up for a 50th Anniversary campaign spotlighting the band's entire catalog, with several new commemorative releases planned for 2012, including a new hits collection and a career-spanning box set."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion-new-album-and-tour-135732438.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:34:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »

Well, I would expect a large -- five-plus disc -- "career-spanning" set. Given that it won't duplicate GV exactly, we could see a few rarities on that.
Rarities, yes - but those will (in most cases) not be hitherto unreleased. I'd be surprised if there would be more than 2 or 3 genuinely 'new' tracks on that big new box set.

As for archival releases, you seem to be wrong. There is nothing in the original press release talking about unreleased material. This is the quote:

"The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI have also teamed up for a 50th Anniversary campaign spotlighting the band's entire catalog, with several new commemorative releases planned for 2012, including a new hits collection and a career-spanning box set."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion-new-album-and-tour-135732438.html

Yes, that was the official press release. But, as far as I recall, there was talk from various BBs camp representatives indicating 2012 releases of stuff that has been in the archives for decades, for example entire concerts.
I admit that I do not have the respective sources at hand right now. But I can't be the only one here that was under the impression that aforementioned archival releases were hinted at by sources from/near the BBs camp? Weird.. but well, okay, if such stuff was never planned for 2012 in the first place, than I'll still be content with the new LP, new DVD and tour.  Smiley Because I'm certainly not buying another box set (especially in times of individually available tracks online, should there be interesting 'new' stuff on 50 Big Ones). Bummer.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

There was a lot of discussion here about such things ... but I don't know if anyone connected with the 50th anniversary releases was even posting on this board at the time the press release came out. There were threads and threads on the topic, and it was confirmed that tapes of full concerts exist, but I don't know that anyone ever said they were being actively auditioned for release this year. (Could someone prove me wrong on this?)

I'd love it if the vaults were emptied ... but the release explicitly promises a grand total of three things. 1.) New studio album. 2.) New hits package. 3.) New boxed set. As for commemorative releases, things like the Wal-Mart zine-pack and the Readers' Digest edition of TWGMTR surely qualify. We've also gotten fairly firm word of some sort of new live special coming our way in the fall.

Given that Capitol probably doesn't want to overload the market with Beach Boys product, and given that the year is halfway over, I would bet that what the press release promises is what happens. Hits set, boxed set, live special. And that seems like it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:23:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

There was a lot of discussion here about such things ... but I don't know if anyone connected with the 50th anniversary releases was even posting on this board at the time the press release came out. There were threads and threads on the topic, and it was confirmed that tapes of full concerts exist, but I don't know that anyone ever said they were being actively auditioned for release this year.
I didn't mean to say that somebody on this board posted something along the lines of "there will be archival releases this year...", but that there were reports by people here about having heard about... stuff. Oh well.

Given that Capitol probably doesn't want to overload the market with Beach Boys product...
Yes, you're probably right about that...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:27:53 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »

What would be "the definitive collection" for you? How would it be more (...) definitive than the GV box set? What constitutes "definitive", anyway?  Wink

ha, well the 'definitive collection' for me would be nothing short of EVERYTHING IN THE VAULTS !

But in all seriousness, there is no reason that this box should not improve upon the 1993 box. I would certainly expect it to be better in sound quality. And I would expect it to include all of the hits, album highlights, an equal number of rarities (hopefully as many new-to-us tracks) as the first box was in 1993. I think the SMiLE box set a new standard. Book, vinyl, etc. Why not ? It should be a deluxe box.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »

What would be "the definitive collection" for you? How would it be more (...) definitive than the GV box set? What constitutes "definitive", anyway?  Wink

ha, well the 'definitive collection' for me would be nothing short of EVERYTHING IN THE VAULTS !

But in all seriousness, there is no reason that this box should not improve upon the 1993 box. I would certainly expect it to be better in sound quality. And I would expect it to include all of the hits, album highlights, an equal number of rarities (hopefully as many new-to-us tracks) as the first box was in 1993. I think the SMiLE box set a new standard. Book, vinyl, etc. Why not ? It should be a deluxe box.

I would expect that -- that is to say, the new boxed set will be as big and lavish (if not more so) than the Smile box. That seems like a safe bet.
Jason
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

With the Good Vibrations box out of print, the band deserves a good, true career-spanning box set. The Good Vibrations box got it right to a point. I think it tried too hard to satisfy too many people at once. Honestly, as great as the sessions/live/promos disc is, it would have been much better as a separate release. That fifth disc could have been used to fit more lesser-known tunes and more rarities. I hope the new box set can find this happy medium.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »

That fifth disc could have been used to fit more lesser-known tunes and more rarities.

You know the reason why they did it that way, right?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx