gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:25:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570979 times)
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

And why is it that Japan gets priority for this new Beach Boys archival product, when the core of the group's fan base is in North America, The Uk & Europe? Do these markets and these fans not matter to Capitol & EMI ?

Right, I forget sometimes: fans on message boards with absolutely no demographic data know more about how the record industry works than experts with years of experience and information.

It looks like they evaluated where demand would be for Beach Boys product, theorized that a reissued catalog would do well in Japan (or at least would be a good place to test such a release), and are acting on that. Alternately: the Japanese localization of the reissues is the first one ready, and the US/UK/European versions aren't. Take your pick, but there's nothing insane or unfair about this announcement.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »

I'm moving to Japan to get these remasters sooner than any of you other low-life, poor Westerners.

However, if the remasters later materialize as releases in the so-called "Western world," then I will be sending my entire bill to one AGD. There will be blood on his hands, literally. But not in the literal sense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:38 PM »

I wonder what they did with the songs that are missing elements.

I imagine that with some technical trickery they can fly in stuff from other sources where the original multitracks don't exist. Mark did a nice job of Mike's bridge vocal on the stereo Pet Sounds that came out in 2001; the two prior stereo releases had Brian's bridge vocal.

Yeah, if you like the sound of MY ASS 92932ujt99gjaoighsaiu

So, "Wild Honey", "Friends" & "20/20" are being permanently expunged from The Beach Boys Capitol back catalogue? Oh well, we've got our existing CD's. There's some fine songs on those 3 albums, and they won't be heard by future fans.

lol

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »

Also, as amusing as these translations are, none of them top the tracklist I found some time ago that translated the tracklist for a metal album as having a song entitled "Black Fishing Rod, White Fishing Rod".

Also, there's no way only Japan would see a catalog re-issue like this, containing first-time stereo mixes for a number of songs as well as the original, never-released-on-CD mono mixes. Rerax. I will say I hope we see a complete catalog re-issue/remaster job, not just a "The Beach Boys were active from '61 to '71 until Brian Wilson went insane, then decades later they did 'Kokomo' and appeared on Full House"-centric release.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »

Hello Kitty is back!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »

There's one forum member who probably does know if the discs will eventually be released in the U.S.A., UK & Europe, but that forum member will likely refuse to tell us, citing confidentiality and not betraying his insider friends. Unfortunately, that forum member's defiant silence may lead to thousands of people needlessly overpaying to obtain this music on pricey Japanese discs. If exploitation of the fans is the byproduct of his secrecy, then that individual has to live with himself.

Twaddle, and quite insulting (to Andrew) twaddle at that. He's explained constantly that he's in no more a privileged position than the rest of us here. Okay, he has great contacts here and there and accordingly, when – if – he hears something he's able to share, he does.

Andrew's like us – he's a fan, one who's wise enough not to sh*t on the hand that feeds him and bright enough not to make a complete prat of himself.

Small wonder he rarely posts here these days when this sort of smear is thrown at him.

Okay, I might occasionally taunt him in the hope he might let something out of the bag (if he's into that particular whatever bag at the time) - it's only half serious, meant in jest most of the time. And sometimes he can be like a Charolais bull that's been introduced to a cattle prod for the first time. But your post, Phil, crosses the line.

Unfortunately, that forum member's defiant silence may lead to thousands of people needlessly overpaying to obtain this music on pricey Japanese discs.

F*cking ridiculous. "Thousands of people"?  It's us Phil, it's just us: a few dedicated fans who get together and moan among themselves on a message board. And what you gonna do? Ask AGD for your money back?

Andrew's presence here and on other boards, and the knowledge he shares as a "Beach Boys historian" –note, not "insider" – is hugely appreciated by those of us who don't have the time (or even the intelligence) to go probing for the kind of info his patience and expertise are able to come up with.  You constantly risk ruining this for everyone with your off-the-mark suppositions and ridiculously inaccurate assumptions slung left right and centre.

I keep hoping that if you're cut a little slack your behaviour and posts will become a little more reasonable and rational but it just doesn't happen.

This whole remasters thread could have been so much fun, but it's been turned into another wrestling arena.

I suggest, politely, that you apologise.

ANDREW: apologies, I know you're big enough to stick up for yourself but Phil's post does us all a disservice (though if you are currently employed writing sleeve notes, drop a hint!  Grin )

EVERYONE ELSE: sorry to drag this on but this is yet another final straw.

We hope to return you to normal programming as soon as possible… in the meantime, here's some music…
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:21:14 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:05 AM »

To buy the complete set of 12 Japanese discs(assuming that you purchase them directly from Japanese dealers, and depending on whether the discs are full-price or mid-price) will cost between $300 & $420. That's some serious money. There's one forum member who probably does know if the discs will eventually be released in the U.S.A., UK & Europe, but that forum member will likely refuse to tell us, citing confidentiality and not betraying his insider friends. Unfortunately, that forum member's defiant silence may lead to thousands of people needlessly overpaying to obtain this music on pricey Japanese discs. If exploitation of the fans is the byproduct of his secrecy, then that individual has to live with himself.

I'm reliably informed that "This Forum Member" couldn't give a flying one about these remasters or indeed The Beach Boys for the past six weeks or so, having had to deal with far more pressing personal issues. However, "This Forum Member" has authorized me to post that, as usual, Cohen doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about in any of the preceding drivel.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2012, 04:22:14 AM »

Alright, I'll spill, We're getting our own remasters.

An Amazing set too!

-Light Album (Bonus Christmas Tracks)
-M.I.U Album
-Still Crusin'
-Summer In Paradise (With the unreleased Bruce song "It's a Full House!"

All for the cheap price of $300 with an amazing SURFBOARD STYLED BOX!

You're joking, right?

Actually, the person I'm referring to, who could tell us if the remastered discs will eventually be released outside of Japan........is Mr.Doe.

Are you acquainted with the international libel laws ? You've stated that I 'could' tell you, not 'might be able to'.

Oddly enough, I have had no part whatsoever in these Japanese reissues, and even had I been asked to contribute, I would have been unable to due to the difficult circumstances I found myself in at the time. However, you have stated that I do know if the discs will be released outside of Japan and by willfully withholding said info, will cause financial hardship to other fans. That, sir, is libelous. However, because you are such a complete mentally handicapped person and lacking in any shred of human decency (have you yet indicated any concern for Alan Boyd ?) I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk. That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:13:42 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2012, 05:06:34 AM »

I'm getting really tired of having to read all of this drivel from Phil of which he has nothing to back up his comments. Mr. Doe certainly doesn't need all of this sh*t being said.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:24 AM »

To buy the complete set of 12 Japanese discs(assuming that you purchase them directly from Japanese dealers, and depending on whether the discs are full-price or mid-price) will cost between $300 & $420. That's some serious money. There's one forum member who probably does know if the discs will eventually be released in the U.S.A., UK & Europe, but that forum member will likely refuse to tell us, citing confidentiality and not betraying his insider friends. Unfortunately, that forum member's defiant silence may lead to thousands of people needlessly overpaying to obtain this music on pricey Japanese discs. If exploitation of the fans is the byproduct of his secrecy, then that individual has to live with himself.

I'm reliably informed that "This Forum Member" couldn't give a flying one about these remasters or indeed The Beach Boys for the past six weeks or so, having had to deal with far more pressing personal issues. However, "This Forum Member" has authorized me to post that, as usual, Cohen doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about in any of the preceding drivel.
I am reliably informed that Phil Cohen is a fucking f*ckwit.Phil I have had enough of your fucking crap.How far in the pit of sh*t do you have to be wade before you get it.. f*** off.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2012, 05:30:12 AM »

At this point you have to wait for the U.S./Europe releases. The Japan 2012 remasters will be around for a while.

The last few years have been very exciting for Beach Boy fans. Enjoy the reunion tour and the attention it is bringing. With the success of the new album and tour it's a no brainer for Capital to reissue and remaster the entire past catalog.

It's great that we have 'insiders' that will champion our cause to have the best releases available. Thank you to all involved. Mr. Boyd's health is more important than any of this. I hope he is doing well.

Patience everyone. If the new album and tour weren't doing well then I'd be nervous about catalog releases. I think we'll see great things later this year.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:40:15 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »

My dream-scenario of a remaster series would be the re-release of all the Twofers, as 2 CD-sets with the albums in Mono and Stereo and Bonus-Tracks, perhaps a few more than on the old Twofers.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »

And why is it that Japan gets priority for this new Beach Boys archival product, when the core of the group's fan base is in North America, The UK & Europe? Do these markets and these fans not matter to Capitol & EMI ?

Right, I forget sometimes: fans on message boards with absolutely no demographic data know more about how the record industry works than experts with years of experience and information.

It looks like they evaluated where demand would be for Beach Boys product, theorized that a reissued catalog would do well in Japan (or at least would be a good place to test such a release), and are acting on that. Alternately: the Japanese localization of the reissues is the first one ready, and the US/UK/European versions aren't. Take your pick, but there's nothing insane or unfair about this announcement.

The Japanese always seem to be ahead of everyone else when it comes to being an 'audiophile'. There was a big outcry in the U.S. back in the 1970's-1980's when everything was being 'made in Japan'. When it came to electronics Japan made high quality merchandise that was affordable. Sony, JVC, and others really had wonderful products when they were produced in Japan. Anyone agree? When I go to the thrift stores looking for vinyl I always look for electronics that have the 'made in Japan' stamp on it. Production later moved to Malaysia and now everything seems to be made in China. The quality is not the same.

I like to collect vinyl and i jumped on the 'Lounge' music revival bandwagon in the 1990's. I became a fan of a singer named Julie London (who is from the U.S.). Great voice and even better LP covers...she always posed in a sexy, provocative way. Her albums were released on Liberty records in the 1950's-1960's. Japan gave her entire back catalog the 'mini-lp- treatment recreating all the details of the vinyl lps. Amazing job. All the U.S. had to offer were greatest hits compilations.

Japan takes their music very seriously. Not that we don't here in the West but you have to admit that those Beach Boy mini lp's are fantastic. They had the Pastmasters, too. They probably had to pay a little more for the mini lp's but they get that quality product.

Another point is that the Beach Boys are no longer just America's Band. They have always belonged to the world. If the Japanese get the 2012 remasters first then so be it. I don't think Capitol here in the U.S. has much say or even care. I'm sure their plans are on schedule or decisions are being made that aren't influenced by Japan's releases.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »

I forgot to mention that we have a great record store called 'Jerry's Records' in my area. Jerry told me that I wouldn't believe the amount of vinyl records that are purchased in the U.S. and shipped over to Japan. Very serious vinyl collectors over there. I'm not surprised by any of this.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »

Besides a major f*ckface (just the answer I'm sure I'll get if I don't specify, not calling him that, since i don't know him), who the hell is Phil Cohen? Is he just a troll on here, or does he have some significance in Beach Boys fandom. For example, is he an author about the Boys or something?

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »

Besides a major f*ckface (just the answer I'm sure I'll get if I don't specify, not calling him that, since i don't know him), who the hell is Phil Cohen? Is he just a troll on here, or does he have some significance in Beach Boys fandom. For example, is he an author about the Boys or something?

He's significant in Beach Boys fandom for being the author of hyperbole and extreme pessimism.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »

How an you not know who Phil Cohen is? "Sir Philip Cohen FRS FRSE (born 22 July 1945) is a British researcher, academic and Royal Medal winner. During the 1990s he was Britain's third most cited professor". Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Cohen
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »

I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk. That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.

I'm just a lurker here and I do enjoy your posts on this great board one million times more than PhilCohen's, but this is crossing the line for me. Can't we just ignore him, how hard that may be...or ban him. SmileySmile.net shouldn't be a place filled with agression and threats.

PhilCohen
« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »

At this point you have to wait for the U.S./Europe releases. The Japan 2012 remasters will be around for a while.

The last few years have been very exciting for Beach Boy fans. Enjoy the reunion tour and the attention it is bringing. With the success of the new album and tour it's a no brainer for Capital to reissue and remaster the entire past catalog.

It's great that we have 'insiders' that will champion our cause to have the best releases available. Thank you to all involved. Mr's Boyd health is more important than any of this. I hope he is doing well.

Patience everyone. If the new album and tour weren't doing well then I'd be nervous about catalog releases. I think we'll see great things later this year.

By the way, Mr.Boyd is credited(with two other people) for the remastering/compiling of the forthcoming Japanese CD's, so the work on this project was apparently completed before Mr.Boyd's health problems began.
PhilCohen
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »

An Amazing set too!

-M.I.U Album
-Still Crusin'

You're joking, right?

Actually, the person I'm referring to, who could tell us if the remastered discs will eventually be released outside of Japan........is Mr.Doe.

Are you acquainted with the international libel laws ? You've stated that I 'could' tell you, not 'might be able to'.

Oddly enough, I have had no part whatsoever in these Japanese reissues, and even had I been asked to contribute, I would have been unable to due to the difficult circumstances I found myself in at the time. However, you have stated that I do know if the discs will be released outside of Japan and by willfully withholding said info, will cause financial hardship to other fans. That, sir, is libelous. However, because you are such a complete mentally handicapped person and lacking in any shred of human decency (have you yet indicated any concern for Alan Boyd ?) I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk. That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.

Whether it is "Could" or "Might be able to", even if you have inside information(as you seemed to for the "Smile" box set), you certainly won't tell us(as is your tradition/policy). My point is this: if you do know that the discs will be released (someday) outside Japan, you would be doing a very kind service for many Beach Boys fans to (make exception to your normal policy) and tell these fans, before they waste enormous amounts of money on the Japanese disc series.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:16:34 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »

I will step over your pitiful comments as I would a dog turd on the sidewalk. That said, should you continue to make such allegations, I will seek out your residence in Florida and burn it down, with your entire collection of records, CDs and bootlegs in it.

I'm just a lurker here and I do enjoy your posts on this great board one million times more than PhilCohen's, but this is crossing the line for me. Can't we just ignore him, how hard that may be...or ban him. SmileySmile.net shouldn't be a place filled with agression and threats.

But Mr.Doe has contributed more than his share of aggression, with his favorite acronym STFU. You'll note that I never hurl obscenities at anyone.

PhilCohen
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »

Note to Mr.Doe,

In my original post(which didn't mention you by name) I said "probably does know". I didn't say "definitely does know".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:24 AM »

An Amazing set too!

-M.I.U Album
-Still Crusin'

You're joking, right?

Whether it is "Could" or "Might be able to", even if you have inside information(as you seemed to for the "Smile" box set), you certainly won't tell us(as is your tradition/policy). My point is this: if you do know that the discs will be released (someday) outside Japan, you would be doing a very kind service for many Beach Boys fans to (make exception to your normal policy) and tell these fans, before they waste enormous amounts of money on the Japanese disc series.

You know how you could avoid spending large amounts of money on Japanese remasters? Don't buy them.

AGD is not Capitol's press agent, and nor is he our direct inside line. He has no reason whatsoever to tell us things. Even if he did know - brace yourself, maybe he doesn't know the entire workings of EMI Worldwide - as he has told you countless times before, he is in no position to tell us about certain things because people he respects have taken him into confidence. I would be furious with AGD if sensitive information I told him was just posted on the net.

Do people you know think you're trustworthy? Or do you just blather the things people tell in confidence to anyone and everyone?

In case you aren't sure what it means, and I can't believe I am explaining this to a (theoretically) fully grown man: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+confidence
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:26:47 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »

You have to be kidding, right? Not a place for aggression? You must not lurk here very often, then. Andrew can defend himself, but Phil asks for it every single time. You would think after all the times this has happened, that he'd learn his lesson. Honestly, I think he enjoys it. Others piss & moan about the aggression more than Phil, himself does.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.