gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 03:00:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 69863 times)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

Oy, I got my Jimmys mixed up.  They don't look or sound alike, either.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »

Here's The View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFNUMYd79k

Never saw this.

Thanks for that!  Not as bad as I was expecting.  What was so bad...?

He was making those snarling faces at the end of the song, which I imagine was off-putting for the daytime housewife audience watching at home.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

Never saw this.

Good question.

Awkward interview... check!
Missed cues... check!

seems like the usual to me!  Grin
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »

Never saw this.

He was making those snarling faces at the end of the song, which I imagine was off-putting for the daytime housewife audience watching at home.

That's true. I guess he couldn't help it, eh?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »

Never saw this.

Me neither. Thank you !

I think Brian is sweet during the interview

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

Yeah I did notice the nervous tics but didn't think that ruined anything...I'll have to see that Letterman appearance to see how bad it could really get....
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »

Never saw this.

Good question.

Missed cues... check!

I thought the interview was charming. He apologized and said he was nervous. Never seen him do that before--an unusual acknowledgement of how the audience was perceiving him. Overall he seemed in pretty good form.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

I love how Darian is constantly grinning behind Brian and laughing out as Brian tries to figure out the computer/website thing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

There are probably people here who think Brian's appearance on Mike Douglas in 76 was great.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

There are probably people here who think Brian's appearance on Mike Douglas in 76 was great.
Not great, but pretty interesting.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

I cannot bring myself to watch the view.  It was all I could do to wade through QVC.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »

I like the version of Back Home he does there.  Especially if you compare it to the SNL version, it's pretty good.

beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:49:51 PM by beatle » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 17, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

There was a youtube link posted a few pages back.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #264 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »

Here's Brian on Kimmel....a great appearance. Brian is very talkative and at ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjUgXLg8Fw&feature=related
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »

Here's Brian on Kimmel....a great appearance. Brian is very talkative and at ease.

He's also lip syncing. Just saying.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »

Mike Love rocked that 360 spin.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »

Never saw this.

Good question.

Missed cues... check!

I thought the interview was charming. He apologized and said he was nervous. Never seen him do that before--an unusual acknowledgement of how the audience was perceiving him. Overall he seemed in pretty good form.
I thought it was funny the way he started to answer about Pet Sounds. "Let me say this about that".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »

Ummm....I think you got it confused with the View performance, where he was indeed lip syncing.

I vaguely remember the Letterman thing. Can someone please elaborate?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »

Oy, I got my Jimmys mixed up.  They don't look or sound alike, either.

Ummm....I think you got it confused with the View performance, where he was indeed lip syncing.

That summer Letterman's band kept playing Beach Boys songs as they led into commercial. Somebody got the bright idea that Brian should sit in with them and sing. He sat facing the wall and would sing a few lines here and there but generally gave up prematurely (before they fully cut to commercial) and coming in late (they'd return from commercial to find Brian sitting there doing nothing, then suddenly starting to sing again as if someone nudged him with a broomstick to wake him up). One of the guest was an actress (Liz Hurley? Can't remember) and she commented during her interview segment that she was a fan of Brian's so they cut to Brian and naturally he didn't hear her and had his back to her anyway (since he was facing the wall) so it took like 5 people to call to him before they got his attention and he turned his head and gave a half-hearted smile in the actresses general direction.

The whole thing was a nightmare. It was uncomfortable to watch. And it looks like there was fallout, because Brian never went back on the show. I'm glad the footage can't be found, it should remain lost and unseen. Only some sort of sick masochist would find enjoyment in watching a 65 year old man being tortured on national television.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:15:01 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »

That summer Letterman's band kept playing Beach Boys songs as they led into commercial. Somebody got the bright idea that Brian should sit in with them and sing. He sat facing the wall and would sing a few lines here and there but generally gave up prematurely (before they fully cut to commercial) and coming in late (they'd return from commercial to find Brian sitting there doing nothing, then suddenly starting to sing again as if someone nudged him with a broomstick to wake him up). One of the guest was an actress (Liv Tyler? Can't remember) and she commented during her interview segment that she was a fan of Brian's so they cut to Brian and naturally he didn't hear her and had his back to her anyway (since he was facing the wall) so it took like 5 people to call to him before they got his attention and he turned his head and gave a half-hearted smile in the actresses general direction.

The whole thing was a nightmare. It was uncomfortable to watch. And it looks like there was fallout, because Brian never went back on the show. I'm glad the footage can't be found, it should remain lost and unseen. Only some sort of sick masochist would find enjoyment in watching a 65 year old man being tortured on national television.

That sounds pretty bad, but Letterman's had some odd/tough guests before and had them back. Two notable examples being Joaquin Phoenix, who was acting bizarrely aloof and unresponsive to anything Dave tried, and Crispin Glover, who actually tried to attack Dave. Both were invited back and Letterman was totally fine with it. Considering he seems to be a big music fan--I mean, the guy had Captain Beefheart on more than once, there's no way his producer could have been happy about that--so I assume he'd love to give Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, the seminal American band, another shot. Plus, he's in the know, as are his people, so they'd be aware that if Mike's there, he'll be fielding 95% of the questions.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »

It's not that big of a deal, I don't think.... I saw Slash on Letterman, almost the exact same thing happened.  He was sitting in with the band, and everytime they'd say something to him, he wouldn't heart it, and appeared 'out of it'... I'm not a die-hard Slash fan but I didn't think any less of him after seeing that, I just thought it was all good fun and Lettterman being goofy and taking a goofy idea too far like he always does. 

So my point is: that apperance didn't damage Brian in the public's eye, it was just a goofy idea that didn't work too well. 
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »

God, that was horrible. Why don't you just stuff Brian and put some puppet strings on him already?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

I mean, seriously, try to imagine young, 20 something Brian making all the sad faces he does here. Picture that despondent face at that age - it's heartbreaking. We try to normalize it, but it's so unfortunate. This has sapped my enthusiasm for the comeback. I don't want to be a spectator to this.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »

That sounds pretty bad, but Letterman's had some odd/tough guests before and had them back. Two notable examples being Joaquin Phoenix, who was acting bizarrely aloof and unresponsive to anything Dave tried, and Crispin Glover, who actually tried to attack Dave. Both were invited back and Letterman was totally fine with it. Considering he seems to be a big music fan--I mean, the guy had Captain Beefheart on more than once, there's no way his producer could have been happy about that--so I assume he'd love to give Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, the seminal American band, another shot. Plus, he's in the know, as are his people, so they'd be aware that if Mike's there, he'll be fielding 95% of the questions.

Yeah, but Phoenix and Glover were clearly doing characters Andy Kaufman style. Glover was playing his character from Rubin and Ed or somesuch. Phoenix was gathering material for his bullshit doc.

Brian is no Tony Clifton!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx