gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:58:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 69332 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:18 AM »

Brian never seems comfortable on any tv show.  He always has that "deer in the headlights" look and seems ready to bolt at a moment's notice.   I wish he would have sung SOMETHING on WIBN.  I think the reunion with Mike and Bruce is good for him because he doesn't have to be the front man.  Mike takes that role and handles most interviews as well.  Glad to see that it's mostly Brian's band on the tour. 

He's faked grins during his entire solo touring career. Gosh, I don't even know if they're fake or not. Perhaps he means them and does so when he comes out of his self absorption. He acted like he did not wanna be at his TNT tribute 10 years ago. His daughters were giving him flowers and he seemed indifferent. But then he'll react, crack a joke or smile (fake or not). He left before eating cake AT HIS OWN WEDDING PARTY!!! It's impossible to tell if he's into it or not just by his looks or antics. He's bizarre, extravagant. I guess you can only measure his commitment by the way he sounds, like Wirestone put it. And he's sounding pretty good.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »

The guitar solo on Dance,Dance,Dance sounds kinda weird

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
nybbfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »

I'm really glad I discovered this board.  I'm sorry to be negative on my first post, but I sincerely believe the Boys are the most significant American pop/rock artists.  I was at the first Beacon concert and was it an amazing experience.  But I don't understand why they constantly diminish themselves.  Do their peers like McCartney, the Stones or Springsteen shill records on QVC?  Could you imagine Paul Simon, or Daltry and Townshend doing that?  And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?  At the first Beacon show, my  first BB show in 25, I was really distracted by the Stamos antics .  When I saw McCartney at Citifield, he brought Billy Joel on stage for one song.  It would be one thing for the BBs to have a major artist on stage as a guest - heck, why not invite McCartney?  But instead they lower themselves by encouraging this 4th rate Stamos clown to make a fool of himself?   One more thing, why is the video showing during the concert so lame?  As Dennis once said in an interview, the BBs were constantly being filimed.  They must have hours of unseen film clips and tons of photos they could have compiled for the background screen if they wanted to make the effort.  Contrast this with the effort McCartney's team put into his background screen, which was fantastic, including film of the Band on the Run cover shoot.   The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

Brian never seems comfortable on any tv show.  He always has that "deer in the headlights" look and seems ready to bolt at a moment's notice.   I wish he would have sung SOMETHING on WIBN.  I think the reunion with Mike and Bruce is good for him because he doesn't have to be the front man.  Mike takes that role and handles most interviews as well.  Glad to see that it's mostly Brian's band on the tour. 

He's faked grins during his entire solo touring career. Gosh, I don't even know if they're fake or not. Perhaps he means them and does so when he comes out of his self absorption. He acted like he did not wanna be at his TNT tribute 10 years ago. His daughters were giving him flowers and he seemed indifferent. But then he'll react, crack a joke or smile (fake or not). He left before eating cake AT HIS OWN WEDDING PARTY!!! It's impossible to tell if he's into it or not just by his looks or antics. He's bizarre, extravagant. I guess you can only measure his commitment by the way he sounds, like Wirestone put it. And he's sounding pretty good.

Isn't Brian on some medication that can limit his ability to express himself facially? That does not explain leaving the stage ASAP, looking at his watch, etc (we all know he doesn't always enjoy performing), but it's possible sometimes that a look of indifference isn't what it seems.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »

I watched this last night, I missed the first half, because I usually don't get home from work on Wednesdays until 6:30 CST. What I saw I really enjoyed though. Obviously the woman was annoying, and her tapered pants were awful, but I've seen much worse on shows like that. Overall it went really well. The mix was pretty good, and as someone else mentioned, you could really hear each individual singing. Since I'm not too familiar with Scott Totten, it was nice to be able to pick him out in the blend. I was also surprised to see Nicky back there, for some reason I thought he wasn't playing this tour, but he could have just been lost to me on Fallon and the YouTube stuff I've seen from the tour. The boys themselves all sounded great. Brian was Brian, and you have to expect that. I was really blown away by Bruce's harmonies though. The leads I've heard him do from this tour haven't been that strong, but man, did he bring it on California Girls. Plus, how freaking cool is David Marks? The interview segment with him was great. Like everyone has said, you can really feel his joy and it's contagious. If I get the chance to meet any of the Boys at this point, I really hope it's Dave. I hope that he realizes how much the fans do appreciate his presence.

I believe you can mark this performance as a success with the QVC audience. My mom is one of these middle-aged, high credit limit, QVC addicts, and she left me a voicemail a few days ago when she saw an add for this. Then, tonight, I was surprised when she called me after and talked about the performance. She usually rips on me for my dorky Beach Boys fandom and is into heavier '80s rock, so if she watched the whole thing and thought it was good, I imagine it left a nice impression on a lot of people.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »

What they will be remembered for is their studio work, not what show they were on, or who they have on stage with them at any given concert.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »

George Jones' version of this song is great. That guy actually can sing. But Alan Jackson's voice is just so....well....un-authentic in a way.

I can see that, although I still like Alan's version... you've got to think about the two singers there, though.  Although Alan wrote the song, he married his high school sweetheart, they got famous together, etc. and are still married.  Years after that song was released, he left her because of problems they were having, she wrote a book about it, and eventually they got back together and are happier than ever.  So although Alan wrote it, he's never really lived with the pain and regret the song suggests.

Meanwhile, George Jones really knows what it's like to lose somebody. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »

I'm really glad I discovered this board.  I'm sorry to be negative on my first post, but I sincerely believe the Boys are the most significant American pop/rock artists.  I was at the first Beacon concert and was it an amazing experience.  But I don't understand why they constantly diminish themselves.  Do their peers like McCartney, the Stones or Springsteen shill records on QVC?  Could you imagine Paul Simon, or Daltry and Townshend doing that?  And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?  At the first Beacon show, my  first BB show in 25, I was really distracted by the Stamos antics .  When I saw McCartney at Citifield, he brought Billy Joel on stage for one song.  It would be one thing for the BBs to have a major artist on stage as a guest - heck, why not invite McCartney?  But instead they lower themselves by encouraging this 4th rate Stamos clown to make a fool of himself?   One more thing, why is the video showing during the concert so lame?  As Dennis once said in an interview, the BBs were constantly being filimed.  They must have hours of unseen film clips and tons of photos they could have compiled for the background screen if they wanted to make the effort.  Contrast this with the effort McCartney's team put into his background screen, which was fantastic, including film of the Band on the Run cover shoot.   The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      

I don't agree with any of this. 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35:15 AM »

Watched the entire show on YT and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a lovely performance. I did not find the lady annoying. She is a master plugger, did her job -which was to sell records-, was respectful to the band, etc.

I just read a first post from a fan regreting that the BBs diminish themselves and their career choices do not reflect the cultural impact of their ouvre or placement as icons. I ackowledge that to a certain degree, but the BBs are and have been about that always... High art and lard together. That lack of self-notion may have been misleading, but it is part of who they are and it helped forge, in a way, some of their most compelling output.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »

I watched most of it live last night and finished it off this morning on youtube. Great concert. I don't mind the venue much. It was an awesome vehicle to sell CDs I am sure. Brian was looking tired by the end and only seemed to turn on when the camera was focused on him. But he was in sweet voice last night as were the others.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »

I caught the last half of the show, and I have to say Brian looks miserable.  Not sure if anyone else caught this but towards the end of the show, the camera was panning across the stage, from right to left, and everyone's doing their thing.  It gets to Brian and he looks like he's about to cry.  At the last second, he realizes the camera's on him, straightens his slouch, puts on a fake grin and starts snapping his fingers to the beat.  It took all of five seconds, but felt like an eternity.

Hate to say it, but I'm not believing that his heart and his mind are into this tour.  You can see it in his eyes.  Love Brian Wilson, but it sucks seeing him this way. 

If you have been a fan for any length of time (and I am in no way suggesting you haven't) you this is how BRIAN ALWAYS LOOKS. It is not this tour.  That is Brian.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

I'm surprised that no one noticed yet that Brian on this tour is just a 3 minutes hologramm played in loop.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »

Watched the entire show on YT and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a lovely performance. I did not find the lady annoying. She is a master plugger, did her job -which was to sell records-, was respectful to the band, etc.

I just read a first post from a fan regreting that the BBs diminish themselves and their career choices do not reflect the cultural impact of their ouvre or placement as icons. I ackowledge that to a certain degree, but the BBs are and have been about that always... High art and lard together. That lack of self-notion may have been misleading, but it is part of who they are and it helped forge, in a way, some of their most compelling output.

True, and that strange combination is a large part of what has made so oddly endearing to many of us. They are great, brilliant.  But they never really quite get there like they should.  Frustrating.  And makes you root for them.

darling
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »

Isn't Brian on some medication that can limit his ability to express himself facially?

It may be more of a symptom of his illness than a side effect the medication:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunted_affect
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »

Fallon is quite popular. More young people watch him. Qvc was for the oldies
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »

I'm really glad I discovered this board.  I'm sorry to be negative on my first post, but I sincerely believe the Boys are the most significant American pop/rock artists.  I was at the first Beacon concert and was it an amazing experience.  But I don't understand why they constantly diminish themselves.  Do their peers like McCartney, the Stones or Springsteen shill records on QVC?  Could you imagine Paul Simon, or Daltry and Townshend doing that?  And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?     The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      

Absolutely.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »

Really enjoyed that

`Interesting to see John Cowswill using a metronome

Cheers

Richard
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »

I'm really glad I discovered this board.  I'm sorry to be negative on my first post, but I sincerely believe the Boys are the most significant American pop/rock artists.  I was at the first Beacon concert and was it an amazing experience.  But I don't understand why they constantly diminish themselves.  Do their peers like McCartney, the Stones or Springsteen shill records on QVC?  Could you imagine Paul Simon, or Daltry and Townshend doing that?  And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?     The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      

Absolutely.

Fallon doesn't get nearly as many viewers as Leno or Letterman, but the BBs are scheduled to be on Leno (who still has the top-rated late night show) the week of the CD release, so I think we can assume that this was all part of a package deal with NBC. Hopefully NBC will also give them a slot in their Today Show outdoor summer concert series.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:55:33 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »

I agree that they should keep Brian on lead for God Only Knows, he sounds really great doing it. If I were in charge of the live show, I'd use archival footage of Carl singing Darlin' for his tribute as:
- no current Beach Boy can effectively sing Darlin''s lead
- it has been a sore omission from the setlist
- it's as much Carl Wilson's signature song as God Only Knows, he always destroyed it live!

Or how about using Carl-video for "Good Vibrations"? Brian really can't do it justice these days...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »

And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?

Maybe because Fallon was willing to devote a substantial proportion of the show to them? As I understand it, Letterman's musical guests get fairly little time on-screen (I'm in the UK so don't have a great deal of knowledge about US TV)

When I saw McCartney at Citifield, he brought Billy Joel on stage for one song.  It would be one thing for the BBs to have a major artist on stage as a guest - heck, why not invite McCartney?

How do you know they haven't?

But instead they lower themselves by encouraging this 4th rate Stamos clown to make a fool of himself?

I have no love, or even liking, for Stamos, and think he degrades the quality of the performance. But roughly one in every three tweets, local newspaper articles and what have you I've seen from the American public at large about this has had some variant of "If Uncle Jessie ain't there, I ain't goin'!", "Where's Uncle Jessie?" "I hope Uncle Jessie will be at the show!"

Certainly the YouTube videos seem to suggest that the majority of the audience were excited to see Stamos. Now you might think (and I agree) that it's a travesty that this is the Beach Boys' audience, and it is, but it *is* their audience, and if they'll do This Whole World or Marcella for the benefit of the five people like me in the audience, boring half the rest who only want to hear the hits, I think it's only fair that the thousand or so people who want to see Stamos get what *they* want, too.

One more thing, why is the video showing during the concert so lame?  As Dennis once said in an interview, the BBs were constantly being filimed.  They must have hours of unseen film clips and tons of photos they could have compiled for the background screen if they wanted to make the effort.  Contrast this with the effort McCartney's team put into his background screen, which was fantastic, including film of the Band on the Run cover shoot.   The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      

I haven't seen the video screens, of course -- but then, I won't be looking at them when I go and see the band anyway, because I'll want to look at the band! If the videos *are* 'lame' as you put it, then that may be because none of the people involved have ever performed with those kind of videos before (except Brian, a little for Smile and That Lucky Old Sun, which were a rather different proposition). Since they've already varied their set more than McCartney did on his last tour, I suspect that they need to have a lot of 'generic' videos that would work equally well behind, say, The Little Girl I Once Knew and Marcella. But even if they had no background videos at all, I'd hardly see that as them not appreciating their own status.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some actual samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me. It's not as if  it doesn't sound good. Maybe that would have been considered too sell-y or huckster-like (yeah- those probably aren't real words), and they didn't want to go there? Definitely enjoyed the free mini-concert  though. It was cool that it was so inclusive for all 5 members.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:03:03 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me. It's not as if  it doesn't sound good. Maybe that would have been considered too sell-y or huckster-like (yeah- those probably aren't real words), and they didn't want to go there? Definitely enjoyed the free mini-concert  though. It was cool that it was so inclusive for all 5 members.

well they played the single and title song from the album.  Also, I believe ALL of the other songs played were on that greatest hits cd packaged for QVC.  Which would explain why they played stuff like Honda and Dance, Dance, Dance and no Help Me, Rhonda, I guess.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some actual samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me.

I betcha less people would've bought it, or they would've been confused. packaging it with the hits CD was genius because all the people wanting to buy the compilation end up buying the album along with it, it's great for album sales of TWGMTR.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »

Hey NYBBFan, nice to meet you. I agree about the video loop during the live show. It was cheesy and clearly put together by an intern.

- B00ts
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some actual samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me.

I betcha less people would've bought it, or they would've been confused. packaging it with the hits CD was genius because all the people wanting to buy the compilation end up buying the album along with it, it's great for album sales of TWGMTR.

I think you both have good points. The thing that continues to mystify me is the release date of June 5th. You had the Sunday Morning TV show appearance - no new album out. The Fallon show was a great vehicle and jumpstart - no album out yet. The tour started and they're performing a new song - but no new album to sell at the concerts. And now the QVC spotlight - and you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get the album they're pushing.

The QVC hostess mentioned a few times how Memorial Day and The Beach Boys's music go so good together. Yeah, it would've been cool to play the new album over the Memorial Day weekend. Well, I guess all those people watching QVC will have to tune in for the Sirrius radio special - or play Sounds Of Summer. Missed opportunities... 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx