gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:45:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 69316 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »

Yes! They messed up the lyrics to Wouldn't It Be Nice! If I ever see them do it live with the right lyrics all the way through i'll be disappointed!  LOL

I believe if you listen to the 'early takes' of the song, the lyrics are backwards from the single too... so they either messed up the demo or messed up the single. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

A question posted on the product page by a faithful QVC viewer:

What are the names of the Beach Boys? Is it true that one of them is Tom Hanks's dad?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »

A question posted on the product page by a faithful QVC viewer:

What are the names of the Beach Boys? Is it true that one of them is Tom Hanks's dad?

That person must have really done some digging, to find out about the child Mike had with his junior high school teacher...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »

LOL!  That's quite random.  Is there ANY Tom Hanks connection at all with the Beach Boys, outside of the 6degreesofKevinBacon thing?

Really though, you have to admit: If this show wasn't on QVC, whoever that poster was probably wouldn't have bought the album (maybe they still didn't).  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »

Just realized: Tom Hanks is famously married to Rita Wilson.  

Can't make this stuff up, folks.  

I just googled it. Apparently, a chain email is being passed around claiming Tom Hanks father was the lead singer of the Diamonds.  Which isn't true.  So the poster confused the Beach Boys with the Diamonds, and confused the lead singer of the Diamonds with Tom Hanks father.... and apparently, many other people have done the same thing. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:35:00 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »

Update: Mike just stroked himself in the middle of California Girls to show how tan he was. 
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Aside from the lady talking way too much, I thought it was a great performance. But they could have played twice as many songs if they hadn't spent 5 minutes talking in between every song. I also thought the last song was going to be Good Vibrations.

Haven't read a lot from the thread, but did anyone else catch at the end when Brian was looking down doing nothing as the camera rolled upon him, but then suddenly realized he was being filmed and shot up quick, smiling and waving? LOL classic Brian moment.

I hope better quality versions of the performances make their way onto YouTube pretty soon (and stay up).
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »

LOL!  That's quite random.  Is there ANY Tom Hanks connection at all with the Beach Boys, outside of the 6degreesofKevinBacon thing?

What was the name of that volleyball in Cast Away?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »

Just realized: Tom Hanks is famously married to Rita Wilson.  

Can't make this stuff up, folks.  

I just googled it. Apparently, a chain email is being passed around claiming Tom Hanks father was the lead singer of the Diamonds.  Which isn't true.  So the poster confused the Beach Boys with the Diamonds, and confused the lead singer of the Diamonds with Tom Hanks father.... and apparently, many other people have done the same thing. 

Haha...amazing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »

What was the name of that volleyball in Cast Away?

Good catch.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »

I just finished the show in lo-fi, I thought it was exceptionally good.  I never thought these guys would be able to perform like this at this age.  I know 70's the new 55 but still.  We basically have 5 guys here who are functioning professionally at a really high level, and nobody's dropped the ball yet.  I hope I have the stamina and the will power to still be doing what I love to do when I'm 70, as well as they're doing it.  

Bruce sounds amazing, when he has a little vocal lick in a song, you see him singing his heart out with that same, classic Bruce smile, and that same, classic Bruce voice he had when he was in his 20's.  It's like time stops for a minute.  Listen to him on the end round in California Girls.... sounds awesome.

David is like a kid at Christmas, he realizes probably more than anybody in the band what the weight of this is, and he's enjoying every minute of it.  Up until a few months ago, his time in the Beach Boys was probably his fondest memories, and something he thought he had lost 50 years ago.  Now he's right back where he was when he was a teenager.  Television shows, world tours, new albums, working with genius musicians and the best friends he ever knew.  The best part about it: He knows it.  

Mike is rising to the occassion and working as hard as he possibly can to be great at what he does.  He comes across as well spoken, he sings to the best of his ability, and he acts like a gentleman for every interview, not just some of them.  If he hasn't turned over a new leaf, he's sure as hell putting on a good show.  

Al looks perpetually stuck in 1974, in a good way.  He's even wearing white suits again.  His ability to bury the hatchet with Mike is inspiring to me... and he comes across as the most down to earth (outside of David) of the group.  His voice still has the most energy in it, just like Murry telling him to enunciate, 45 years later he's still putting the swagger in the vocals where it needs it.  

Finally we have Brian.  Who knows what goes on inside that brilliant, well coiffed, half deaf head of his.  Like the last 30 years of his career, 95% of what you see is a little bit depressing... and then for 5% of the time, he either wows us with another one of those beautiful Wilson brother SMiLEs, or hits a note just right enough that you think it's 1965 again.  Just as soon as your ears or your eyes catch that little glimse of the Brian that once was, he's gone again, sunk back into his chair, slipping off the side of the camera, shrinking back into his oversized shirt.... waiting for the next little flash of hope he shows us.  

God bless these guys, may their music go on and on.  
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »

David is like a kid at Christmas, he realizes probably more than anybody in the band what the weight of this is, and he's enjoying every minute of it.  Up until a few months ago, his time in the Beach Boys was probably his fondest memories, and something he thought he had lost 50 years ago. 

David was in the band from 97-99, played hundreds of shows with the band, and even made a CD with them and was pictured on the front cover. But yeah, I'm sure it is cool for him to be on stage with Brian again.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »

The Beach Boys really WOWED me tonight.  Brian's vocal on God Only Knows also gave me chills!    Nice to see that Al's Postcard CD got a plug too.  By my count, I saw Mrs Jardine in the audience rocking and dancing 9 times.

No, I wasn't one of the 14,000 purchasing the new CD and bonus disc for $25 including shipping and handling.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »

BTW, they're selling a sh*tload of albums on this show.  If these all count as 1st week sales, this motherf*cker might debut at #1.  

Edit:

Here's this weeks album sales....

1. Carrie Underwood – Blown Away 120k
2. Adele – 21 101k
3. Lionel Richie’s – Tuskegee 71k
4. Now 42 65k
5. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts 60k
6. Silversun Pickups – Neck of the Woods 41k
7. One Direction – Up All Night 40k
8. Jack White – Blunderbuss 34k
9. Tank – This Is How I Feel 33k
10. Luke Bryan – Tailgates & Tanlines 26k

I think this album can easily make the top 10 when it's released, it'll be interesting to see where it ends up. 

Let me get this straight.  This show sold 14,000+ copies right? So, we KNOW that we'll at least double that number (probably quadruple it actually) with Amazon pre-orders and just plain old buying the album at a record store.  How can this NOT go number 1?  I mean, is the band expecting it to do THAT well?  Something seems fishy here.  What am I missing?

Oh, and the above post is beautiful Ron.  Very inspiring.  Well written.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »

David Marks' 1997-99 stint might've been bittersweet because of the circumstances that prompted his joining the band at that time.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »

Zach, I agree.  14,000 sales is HUGE right now.  I don't know the specifics but I guess album sales suck so bad because you can download them for free, and also because most people would likely prefer to just download and buy specific tracks instead of the entire album.  

So yeah, 1 damn store (basically) which really isn't even that big (who the hell watches QVC?) sold 14 K.  I would be shocked if the Amazon sales weren't at least 3 times that.  Add in all the mom and pop stores.  Add in all the Wal-Marts, Best Buys, add in all the other online stores.  Add in Itunes.  

NO WAY this won't go top 5.  
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »

14 thousand, jesus christ

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »

Zach, I agree.  14,000 sales is HUGE right now.  I don't know the specifics but I guess album sales suck so bad because you can download them for free, and also because most people would likely prefer to just download and buy specific tracks instead of the entire album.  

So yeah, 1 damn store (basically) which really isn't even that big (who the hell watches QVC?) sold 14 K.  I would be shocked if the Amazon sales weren't at least 3 times that.  Add in all the mom and pop stores.  Add in all the Wal-Marts, Best Buys, add in all the other online stores.  Add in Itunes.  

I really hope you're right.  That would be crazy.  A top 5 Beach Boys album in my lifetime.  Thud

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

BTW, they're selling a sh*tload of albums on this show.  If these all count as 1st week sales, this motherf*cker might debut at #1.  

Edit:

Here's this weeks album sales....

1. Carrie Underwood – Blown Away 120k
2. Adele – 21 101k
3. Lionel Richie’s – Tuskegee 71k
4. Now 42 65k
5. Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts 60k
6. Silversun Pickups – Neck of the Woods 41k
7. One Direction – Up All Night 40k
8. Jack White – Blunderbuss 34k
9. Tank – This Is How I Feel 33k
10. Luke Bryan – Tailgates & Tanlines 26k

I think this album can easily make the top 10 when it's released, it'll be interesting to see where it ends up. 

Let me get this straight.  This show sold 14,000+ copies right? So, we KNOW that we'll at least double that number (probably quadruple it actually) with Amazon pre-orders and just plain old buying the album at a record store.  How can this NOT go number 1?  I mean, is the band expecting it to do THAT well?  Something seems fishy here.  What am I missing?

Oh, and the above post is beautiful Ron.  Very inspiring.  Well written.

I'll start by saying I don't know jack about how album rankings are done. But I'm assuming weekly sales are added by the week. So by the week they release TWGMTR, Carrie Underwood's current number 1--which seems to be way out in the lead, compared to the number 2--will have continued to gain sales. It's 120,000 right now, and it appears it was released roughly two weeks ago. How many will it sell in another two-three weeks? Probably less than another 120,000, but who knows? I wouldn't get my hopes too high for TWGMTR to get to number 1, but it doesn't look like there's a chance in hell that it WON'T easily get into the top 10. That's gunna be awesome.

With that said, I really hope it goes to number 1. Brian would love that, I bet.
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »

Anybody got a link to a you tube of this? Brilliantly, I couldn't figure out that it was EASTERN time.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »

Let's make Mike Love's dream of a #1 come true, eh? Anybody who doesn't buy the album in the first week gets his ass kicked. Okay?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »

Just think about this...

The new Beach Boys album...in 2012...has the potential to beat Pet Sounds in terms of chart placement.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »

Landlocked:  Get this.... the 120k Carrie sold was THIS WEEK.  The album rankings are done week to week.  Now, there may be another big album released the same week as the Beach Boys, I don't know.... but Carrie's album was #1 by selling 120K this week.  The Beach Boys just sold 14K in one store, in 1 hour.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »

Anybody got a link to a you tube of this? Brilliantly, I couldn't figure out that it was EASTERN time.

Here's a link from QVC, but be warned: The quality is very bad. 

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F09851.cm_scid.PROM
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »

I agree that Amazon pre-sales are going to outdo the QVC ones, but as far as "who the hell watches QVC?" comment: the Beach Boys demographic, that's who. Middle-aged women with credit cards who buy things on impulse. And the Beach Boys, for that demographic? Fuggeddaboutit! Nostalgia to the max. No surprise they sold 14,000+. QVC is broadcasted to hundreds of millions of people, so they have a very large viewership.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx