gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:10:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think big news is coming...  (Read 37256 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »

I agree with your post AGD.. But im the one asking for peace.! Im SURE there are insider"s posting under assumed names. WHY.? Because  in between the BS there is a lot of intelligent people posting and you don't have to be famous to know a lot about music or the BB.. So you get BOTH..But to jump on me for asking for peace + saying im UNAWARE is wrong. Im going back to my oatmeal + wheelchair..,Jeez DUDE i was on YOUR side.!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

You think 200 years from now, in music appreciation class, they're going to be playing "Cabinessence" ?

um. YES actually.

high art tends to be studied and appreciated more than schlock.

they sure as hell ain't gonna be dissecting Kokomo
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

You think 200 years from now, in music appreciation class, they're going to be playing "Cabinessence" ?

um. YES actually.

high art tends to be studied and appreciated more than schlock.

they sure as hell ain't gonna be dissecting Kokomo
Will TM followers dissect it once TM becomes a major world religion in 200 years? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »

ya know

It's clear to me that Messrs. Wilson, Love, Jardine, Johnston and Marks could sing and play the freaking phone book, and it would sound like a gorgeous masterpiece!

Obviously, they won't be singing the phone book; probably.... a few tunes that we all know and love.

I just hope they enjoy themselves, because that is what will come through to us, loud and clear, the fans.  Their legacy is already set in stone.

This tour should be "For The Boys".  And us too!

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »

ya know

It's clear to me that Messrs. Wilson, Love, Jardine, Johnston and Marks could sing and play the freaking phone book, and it would sound like a gorgeous masterpiece!

Obviously, they won't be singing the phone book; probably.... a few tunes that we all know and love.

I just hope they enjoy themselves, because that is what will come through to us, loud and clear, the fans.  Their legacy is already set in stone.

This tour should be "For The Boys".  And us too!

Grin
Indeed, I'm Stoked! Oh yeah, I shouldn't use pre-Pet Sounds surfing lingo. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »

So anyways, where were we?

I hope they go more with the songs Mike, Al, Bruce, Brian, and David want to play, and less with what the artsy shmartsy internet fans want!  If they've got room, maybe squeeze some of that in, but I want to hear at least 30 surf/chick songs.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »

Hey Ron, I think posting here confirms you as an internet fan. I guess that means they shouldn't play 30 surf/'chick' songs, right?

I mean, Brian likes playing songs off Smile, TLOS, his first two solo albums, and Breakaway, and deep cuts from those early 60's records - from his last shows at the RFH, say, and he's gone deeper into 'internet fan' music over the last decade, not to mention playing 4 tours where he played whole records (solo and Pet Sounds, which is internet fan music to you i suppose). Mike & Bruce play deep cuts too - songs from M.I.U, 15 Big Ones, Surf's Up, and others. Are you saying they don't like playing them? Not sniping, just trying to grasp what you're on about.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:10:44 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »

Funny enough, you know if they play anything from Smile that isn't "Good Vibrations" that a lot of the baby boomers that are there because they owned a copy of  Endless Summer will go take a trip to the bathroom.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

I hope they go more with the songs Mike, Al, Bruce, Brian, and David want to play, and less with what the artsy shmartsy internet fans want!  If they've got room, maybe squeeze some of that in, but I want to hear at least 30 surf/chick songs.

Nice of you wrap up your own selfish wants in the guise of what "Mike, Al, Brice, Brian, and David want to play." Personally, I would like them to play a set that was exclusively Smile songs, but only because it would bother you.

But seriously, they will be playing a few songs from Smile, surely, since they will still want to also promote the Sessions which will be less than a year old by the time the concerts start.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

Eh, there's nothing to promote. Nobody who attends a Beach Boys concert that doesn't know of The Smile Sessions is really going to want to buy it after hearing "Cabinessence" in concert one time or whatever. Basically, the people that care enough already know about The Smile Sessions and the ones that don't are baby boomers that will go to hear the surf songs and maybe buy a compilation album afterwards.

However, this band knows full well what The Smile Sessions means to a lot of people. We'll get more than just "Good Vibrations" from that period, that's for sure. "Heroes and Villains" and "Surf's Up" would fill most people's need for those songs and interest the casual audience enough, I presume.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »

Cabin Essense would be so f*cking cool with Mike singing that line once again. Unlikely perhaps, but how great would that be?

We know he loves Wonderful, so I'm still hoping for the entire 2nd Movement of BWPS.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »

They should probably do a round of early hits, a second round of material from the middle period (Today-Smile), a shorter third round of Wild Honey through the new album and finish off with an encore of five classic hits.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »

If we got ALL the news at the same time it would take all the fun out of it. 

Anticipation/speculation is our participation!  3D

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »

Eh, there's nothing to promote.

There will be the Smile Sessions and a new CD to promote.

Nobody who attends a Beach Boys concert that doesn't know of The Smile Sessions is really going to want to buy it after hearing "Cabinessence" in concert one time or whatever.

Why, then, do you think that established artists like Paul McCartney (for instance) plays a few songs from his last albums when he tours? When I saw McCartney in 2010, he was still playing Dance Tonight. Although it had been on his album, Memory Almost Full, released more than three years earlier it was still nevertheless his latest release at that time - well, that and the Fireman stuff, though he promoted that one too.

Basically, the people that care enough already know about The Smile Sessions and the ones that don't are baby boomers that will go to hear the surf songs and maybe buy a compilation album afterwards.

The Smile Sessions will more than likely be at a merch table. And I would imagine that playing "Good Vibrations", "Heroes and Villains", "Wonderful", and "Surf's Up" would sell a few copies. Not saying they will play that many or that those would be the songs. But they will inevitably be hocking the Smile Sessions in some fashion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:30:28 PM by rockandroll » Logged
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

I get where you're coming from and some of the reasoning behind it, but I just don't think selling that will be on their mind much. Now, selling the new album definitely will and I'd be outright shocked if they didn't play at least three songs from the new CD. But as for The Smile Sessions, it will probably be selling in the hundreds week-to-week by the time this tour starts, numbers likely much lower than Sounds of Summer would sell without this reunion tour.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

I think they'll do Heroes and Villains, that song has never been super popular but they've generally included it as one of their "greatest hits" for a long time, and they've already played it live a lot so I think that will probably be the one that they do.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »

The Smile Sessions will more than likely be at a merch table. And I would imagine that playing "Good Vibrations", "Heroes and Villains", "Wonderful", and "Surf's Up" would sell a few copies. Not saying they will play that many or that those would be the songs. But they will inevitably be hocking the Smile Sessions in some fashion.

... and can we add Cabin Essence to that list? I really wanna hear Mike singing "Over and over the crow cries..." 

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »

I don't understand why they dont play Surfs Up anyway, it's more than a SMiLE track, it's the title track of their most successful post PS album.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2012, 03:50:27 AM »

I don't understand why they dont play Surfs Up anyway, it's more than a SMiLE track, it's the title track of their most successful post PS album.

… and quite possibly the single greatest piece of music of the rock & pop era.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:21 AM »

… and quite possibly the single greatest piece of music of the rock & pop era.

Yep. I am the only one in my circle of friends who can immediately and without the slightest doubt answer the question: what's the greatest track in all of pop that you know?

It is: They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha, of course.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2012, 06:36:44 AM »

I used that track as a starter for one of my various artists mix CDs! Grin ,Ha Ha!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2012, 07:14:34 AM »

I used that track as a starter for one of my various artists mix CDs! Grin ,Ha Ha!

Oh, is that the comp with Mrs. Miller, The Singing Nun, Tiny Tim, GG Allin, and Heino?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »

Oh, is that the comp with Mrs. Miller, The Singing Nun, Tiny Tim, GG Allin, and Heino?
Tiny Tim scares me with his weird voice. Ahhh!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:33:16 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »

Tiny Tim scares me with his weird voice. Ahhh!

You should hear Heino.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx