gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:50:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718742 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1000 on: April 16, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

I have read that moisture on the capsule can have an adverse effect on the sound of a mic...?

(Thanks as always for indulging us SWD! Smiley)

COMMENT TO SAM-BFC:

Moisture on the capsule of a condenser microphone is not what I call "damage."  When you sing close to the capsule, such as shown here with Brian,

you can expect some moisture to penetrate the metal mesh and collect on the diaphragm (a U67 gold-sputtered dual  diaghragm shown -- the membrane's mass is less then air, which is why a condenser microphone is so detailed).

Moisture that stays on the diaphragm gives the voltage developed across the diaphragm a lower-capacitance signal path, which negates the higher-capacitance of the diaphragm. Thus it ceases to function. Actually the moisture passes through the mesh, and being trapped within the mesh housing, settles on the diaphragm. It has happened to me with Brian, himself. 

The first time it happened I frantically called my good friend (the late) Stephen F. Temmer (the Gotham Audio importer of Neumann to North America -- Historical Perspective >>> [ http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/history/temmer.htm ] ) who told me why the mic failed to work and how to correct the situation.

He said, when this happens, the correction is simple.  As was the case with the Neumann U-67, once you unscrew the bottom sleeve and slip the casing off the electronics, you can push-in the two side clips and pull the capsule from the electronics.

Then take the capsule out into the sunshine for about ten minutes. The moisture will evaporate. Replace the capsule and your ready to go.  Or, just take the entire mic into some sunshine. I say out into the sunlight because this seems to work fastest.  Alternately, you could just keep in an air conditioned place for about half an hour.   

Best to use an external blast filter or pop filter to not only keep pop's down, but to keep singing moisture from reaching the diaphragm. You can buy them, or make one out of a stretched nylon sock over a metal framework made from a coat hanger or thick wire. Also, keeping the singer away from the mic will give you a more natural sound and a sound that does NOT need to be limited as the extreme level peaks will not be un-naturally accented by being too close to the mic.

The moisture does not hurt the mic. It may stop it from working until dispensed, but there is no permanent damage.

Of all the Beach Boys, Carl seemed to have the most moisture associated with his singing.  After a few stoppings of vocal sessions with him due to moisture collection on the diaphragm, I bought a large foam filter for the U-67 and we had no further problems.

I don't want to leave you with the impression that moisture is a big problem. It hardly happens -- once every few months for steady recording.  The advantages of the condenser microphone far outweigh this minor, if ever, inconvenience.   

~swd 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:29:06 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 16, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »

This is very useful information.  It clears up a number of questions for me. 

I was considering the idea of seeking out a few used mics, and there are buy and sell outlets around here, but I'm always wary of what kind of wear and tear these things may have gone through.  I suppose if I'm looking at one that's been knocked around quite a bit, it'll be pretty obvious.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 16, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »

I've had pretty good success with used mics on eBay.  Of course, I'm more of a dynamic mic enthusiast.  I haven't bought a mic in awhile, but if I were to I'd, check ebay first.  I did get a Shure 546 that stopped working after a few months and I haven't been able to figure out to get at the wiring to fix it properly, but other than that I've got a lot of good use out the used mics and they've worked great.

I think the next mic I'd get would be a Studio Projects LSD2.

A multi-pattern stereo mic would be very handy indeed; wish I had a vocal group to use it with.

What I'd really like to do is be able to demo some of the high end mics I always hear about against my Cheapo Rode NT-1A, straight into my Alesis HD recorder.  I'd really like to hear for myself what differences are perceptible.

I think the main obstacle for home-recording people such as myself is not really knowing where to improve our signal once you reach a certain level of expertise with what you have.  When I have, say, a vocal track I don't care for, I don't really know if it's the mic, the board, or what.  I've optimized what I have (which is not much) and don't really know what the next step would be in getting to be a better engineer, or what equipment I might add should money for some reason become available to that end.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1003 on: April 16, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »

This is very useful information.  It clears up a number of questions for me. 

I was considering the idea of seeking out a few used mics, and there are buy and sell outlets around here, but I'm always wary of what kind of wear and tear these things may have gone through.  I suppose if I'm looking at one that's been knocked around quite a bit, it'll be pretty obvious.

COMMENT TO SOCKITTOME:

Not certain what mics you're looking at, but usually if a mic works at all, it works at specification. I have used professional microphones full of scratches, dents, and nicks.  So what.  I once used an RCA type 44 at Capital that had the screen creased about 1/4 inch from the top to the bottom. The finish was rubbed off on the bottom. It worked fine.  The thing was, this very mic was also used by Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole for vocals many years before.     ... works for me!

~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: April 16, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »

When I have, say, a vocal track I don't care for, I don't really know if it's the mic, the board, or what.

COMMENT TO AEIJTZSCHE

Perhaps, the performer?
  ~swd
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 16, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »

When I have, say, a vocal track I don't care for, I don't really know if it's the mic, the board, or what.

COMMENT TO AEIJTZSCHE

Perhaps, the performer?
  ~swd

The performer, being me of course, could ALWAYS be better!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »

COMMENT TO AEIJTZSCHE

Perhaps, the performer?
  ~swd
The performer, being me of course, could ALWAYS be better!

COMMENT TO AEIJTZSCHE:

"The performer, being me of course, could ALWAYS be better!"   

Smiley  Electronics to YOUR rescue >>> [ http://www.antarestech.com/products/avp.shtml ]

And try the demos

At Guitar Center >>>  [ http://www.guitarcenter.com/Antares-AVP-Vocal-Producer-707156-i1154979.gc?source=4LANWXX1 ]

Alternate Equipment >>>  [ http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VTCorrect/

~swd
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:02:40 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1007 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »

COMMENT TO ALL FANS:
I'm reworking my computers.  Will be off-line on this thread until further notice.  You can send me postings, but I will not be viewing them until up-and-running again with a new computer and faster service provider. 

I will post here when I am again able to go back on line.  This may take several weeks or months.  I'll be taking advantage of the time to work on the book.

Until next time . . .

Good Listening,  ~Stephen W. Desper

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:25:14 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Jason
« Reply #1008 on: April 29, 2009, 11:03:10 PM »

And a happy birthday to Mr. Desper today!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 30, 2009, 12:28:54 AM »

Agreed! Happy birthday, mr. Desper, hope you have a nice day.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: April 30, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

Happy birthday Mr. Desper! Looking forward to the new edition of your book  Cool

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
kdawes01
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 30, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »

Hi Steve,

I hope you are doing well. It's been a while since the Mountain View Spatializer days. I'd appreciate it if you could drop me an email when you get the chance.

Thanks!
Ken Dawes
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: September 10, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

Steve,

I am working on an article that includes Break Away  - Any info you can supply as to Murry's actual involvement with the writing of the lyrics and/or music and or recording?

Phil
PrayForSurf.net

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: December 30, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »

COMMENT TO ALL

Dear Fellow Beach Boy Fans:

It has been quite a year, this 2009.  Frankly I'm looking forward to something better in 2010.  For me, lot's of changes -- some for the better.  I am now reconnected to the World-Wide-Web and will be monitoring this thread as I did before. I hope you will all take advantage of this connection, ask me questions and stimulate my memory of the wonderful experiences I had those many years ago with all six of The Beach Boys.

Still editing the book -- seems like this and that get in the way, but progress is being made when time permits.

I have a question for YOU.  I recall reading in one of the issues of ENDLESS SUMMER QUARTERLY that a remastered CD was being done or going to be done with a new package out to the market.  If this has happened, I would appreciate information as to what it is called, or how it can be identified as the latest mastering of Sunflower and Surf's Up. Thanks in advance.

Will check into this thread several times a week.  Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Good Listening,   ~Stephen W. Desper

PS ::  See another post at "THE BEACH BOYS PLAY MONTEREY POP"

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:02:48 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 31, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »

Welcome back on-line on the board Stephen.

To start with your question on Sunflower / Surf's Up. As far as I know the new re-issues were only released on vinyl (just like the re-release of Endless Summer and more recently Today + Summer Days). Not sure if there's any connection to a 2009 CD-release. (but I might be misunderstanding your question).

There was some discussion on Sunflower/Surf's Up recently:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6941.0.html (starts getting really interesting on page 3)
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7926.0.html

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 01, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »

I have a question for Mr. Desper: When Brian was not around (and even when he was), and the band was doing their harmonies would anybody 'arrange' the parts like Brian would've? Was it a job that Carl would've (or could've) took? Always interesting to me.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »

I have a question for Mr. Desper: When Brian was not around (and even when he was), and the band was doing their harmonies would anybody 'arrange' the parts like Brian would've? Was it a job that Carl would've (or could've) took? Always interesting to me.
Yes, to me too. And when they didn't arrange them like Brian did, how did they arrange them? How did their approaches differ?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1017 on: January 03, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »

Yes, to me too. And when they didn't arrange them like Brian did, how did they arrange them? How did their approaches differ?

COMMENT TO TDHABIB & FALL BREAKS:  No one can replace Brian, but Carl or Bruce could be a good substitute.  Even Alan Byod has shown his talent in mimicking the man. But for shear original concept, all will agree, Brian is unique. He started the "surfing sound" of the BBs, and made it his own. As fellow musicians, his brothers and friends could not help but learn how to musically think along these same lines. Bruce, with a more formal musical training could parrot Brian with more of a mathamatical approach, but still convincing. When Carl was working to complete many of the unfinished Brian snippits, he wanted them to sound as if his brother had completed the task. But Carl had his own style too, which he demonstrated more in his solo album. When writing songs to be included as Beach Boy product his writing and production style was confined to that persuasion, but this stricture of his talent should not be viewed as a shortcoming, rather a self-imposed discipline. During that period when Brian stayed away from the studio, Carl did review many of the arrangements with Brian (in his bedroom) -- as brother to brother. But for the most part, Carl had it right from the start.

How each Beach Boy approached the production of a song along with the various production proceedures practiced by each group member is the subject of a more eleborate explaination covered in my book on page 26, Producer's Style -- and also will be covered in the next book. 

In a word ... Brian, the producer's producer; Carl, the detail producer; Michael, the deligating producer; Dennis, the serendipity producer; Alan, the unpretentious producer; and Bruce, the prepared producer.
  ~swd
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1018 on: January 03, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »

Good to have you back, Stephen.  Best wishes for the coming year.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 03, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Desper, I missed out on "Recording the Beach Boys" the first time but am eagerly awaiting the new printing!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 03, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Desper, I missed out on "Recording the Beach Boys" the first time but am eagerly awaiting the new printing!

As am I!  I could read about this stuff all day long.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 04, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

As am I!  I could read about this stuff all day long.
Yes, thank you. I am also awaiting the next printing, to be bought and devoured...  Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
EWElmo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 06, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »

Hello Steve and welcome back! Give me a call sometime (soon  Grin). 

Vince T.
daneca
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »

Hello, Mr. Desper!

What do you have to say about Carl's abilities as a guitarist?
On how many songs did he play lead in the circuit when you worked with the boys? (sorry, but I can't get those informations on the cds inserts)

The same questions about Brian and the bass

P.S. Sorry about my english...
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »

Hello, Mr. Desper!

What do you have to say about Carl's abilities as a guitarist?
On how many songs did he play lead in the circuit when you worked with the boys? (sorry, but I can't get those informations on the cds inserts)

The same questions about Brian and the bass

P.S. Sorry about my english...

COMMENT TO DENECA:  Your english seems quite good to me.  As to how many songs Carl or Brian played on, that can be answered by other fans who like to tally up such information.

Carl was an excellent guitarist. He could play the instrument in the dark -- which means he did not rely on looking at the frets to place his fingers. He could transpose on sight. He could change keys at will.  In Carl's hands the guitar was not a a technical device to be harnessed or overcome to get music out of.  Rather the guitar was a gateway to the music. Carl was unchallenged by any guitar, bringing the best out of any instrument he might pickup and play. Carl must have owned around a hundred various guitars; solid body, 6 string acoustic, 12 string acoustic -- some for recording only and some for the road. I never saw Carl manhandle any guitar, always returning it to its case after playing. If the roady was busy, he would clean his own instrument after a show. If a string broke on stage, he could improvise around the missing string. His ability to tune the guitar superseded any electronic tuner and took into count the human element of emotion that a mechanical tool lacks. Although you never saw Carl do it, he could also "trick" play the guitar -- behind his back, upside down, and with one hand. He could also play the guitar with a violin bow for special effects. He was also good at playing the slide guitar, but for recording usually used a professional slide guitar player -- the pedals are a little complicated you know.

Brian was at home with almost any instrument, guitars, bass, drums, and keyboards. He played bass on tracking dates with ease. Although Bruce usually played the bass parts, Brian could instantly step in and take over or show Bruce how he wanted something played. I'm not an expert at Bass Guitar playing, but it seemed to me that Brian's bass playing was just as smooth and steady as anyone's. He could record a solid foundation of rhythm without any rehearsal.

The above goes for Alan as well.
   ~swd

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx