gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:38:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower and Surf's Up To Be Reissued on Vinyl!  (Read 10762 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »

From Capitol/EMI in my inbox...

Hollywood, California – March 11, 2009 – Put the needle in the groove! Capitol/EMI’s high quality “From The Capitol Vaults” U.S. vinyl campaign continues on June 16 with the limited edition release of 11 classic, standout albums from the label’s celebrated catalog on 180-gram vinyl.

Capitol/EMI’s June 16 “From The Capitol Vaults” releases, all previously out of print on vinyl, include The Beach Boys’ Sunflower and Surf’s Up, Merle Haggard’s Mama Tried, Megadeth’s So Far, So Good... So What!, Plastic Ono Band’s Live Peace In Toronto 1969, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Freaky Styley, Mother's Milk, and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Roxy Music’s Country Life and Stranded, and The Specials’ self-titled album.

How cool is that?
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »

It is - except they're two of the only BB LPs I already have fairly recent copies of! Both were reissued in 1980 on Caribou, and SU was reissued on 180g as part of EMI's 100th anniversary (100 LPs specially produced). Holland would be good...
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »

Great news, I dont have either on vinyl and the local shop want $30 for Surfs Up.  Thanks for posting.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »

Good news, but I can guarantee they'll each go for close to $30

If it's at Amoeba or somewhere, yeah, $25.99 or some merda. Online, maybe cheaper.

I'd suggest spending the same on an original! I have one and it sounds amazing, and remember, it's the only mix/master that Desper will sign off on!!

Will Surf's Up include the original fold out insert w/ lyrics n pics?
MBE
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »

Very good news as this will give Sunflower and Surf's Up more exposure on the collectors market and should be a lot closer to what Desper and the guys intended.  Now if only WIBNTLA was a bonus cut.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

... likely from a digital master.  i will stick with the original analog pressings.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

Probably the same 2000 digital master as the Two-fer CDs

Now, if they reissued Holland with the Mount Vernon EP in its original cartoon sleeve, that would be lovely.

Funny that it probably won't ever happen because Holland is the only album of the three to contain a hit single.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »

Odd that Capitol/EMI is celebrating their historic legacy & diving into their legendary catalog to release on vinyl...two albums that were originally on another label, and only first appeared on Capitol/EMI eight years ago...

Not that I mind, of course.  Just find it odd.  On the other hand...they WERE originally released in the U.K. on Stateside/EMI...so maybe that's close enough for them.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »

Good news, but I can guarantee they'll each go for close to $30

If it's at Amoeba or somewhere, yeah, $25.99 or some merda. Online, maybe cheaper.

I'd suggest spending the same on an original! I have one and it sounds amazing, and remember, it's the only mix/master that Desper will sign off on!!

My local Costco stocked the last batch at $12.99, including TLOS.
Still, I'd recommend the originals too unless it's a completist habit being sated. No CD never sounded right compared to the originals.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »

This is great news, and I'm looking forward to adding 180 gram vinyl versions to my collection.

I do hope that the following press release description is inaccurate, as it lists Sunflower as being reissued with a single jacket, rather than the original US Brother/Reprise and UK EMI/Stateside gatefold jacket with the great color pics inside of the BBs and BW's house. The 1980's UK CBS/Caribou version of Sunflower was a single jacket, and the visual impact (which is one of the great selling points of LPs) was definitely diminished compared to the original gatefold cover.

JUNE 16, 2009: "FROM THE CAPITOL VAULTS" [artist / title (configuration)]
The Beach Boys / Sunflower (1 LP, single jacket)
The Beach Boys / Surf's Up (1 LP, single jacket, lyrics sheet insert)

Also, as a followup to C-man's comment about the release being on Capital, in addition to his mention that the UK release was on EMI/Stateside, there was a Capitol Record Club version of Sunflower (SKAO 93352) but with the normal Brother/Reprise labeling.  Personally, I think it will be cool to see Sunflower and Surf's Up on vinyl with Capitol labels, preferably the same lime green with new Capitol logo label from the late 60s and early 70s that they used for the CD reissues.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:14:20 AM »

It is - except they're two of the only BB LPs I already have fairly recent copies of! Both were reissued in 1980 on Caribou, and SU was reissued on 180g as part of EMI's 100th anniversary (100 LPs specially produced). Holland would be good...

... and don't forget the limited vinyl-release in the early 90-ies on Epic  (from the digitally remastered series, along with the first CD-release)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »

I urge everyone not in the possession of vinyl editions to at least give them a listen, if possible. I am sure that, even if the source is digital, 'All I Wanna Do' via headphones will blow you away. I'll never forget that experience. I have SF on German EMI-Disc; and it is one of my treasures.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »

... and don't forget the limited vinyl-release in the early 90-ies on Epic  (from the digitally remastered series, along with the first CD-release)

Easily the rarest commercial Beach Boys LP issues except maybe Summer In Paradise or the Ariola 45.
mtaber
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:08:04 AM »

Heartical- This Whole World on headphones when the lp first came out was what got me into the Boys in the first place... my brother came into my room and said "put on the headphones, you've got to hear this!"...

And the Sunflower package was incredible... all the guys looked so cool (except Bruce)... the shot of Brian is perhaps my all-time favorite...

Man, what a great album...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:41 AM »

Heartical- This Whole World on headphones when the lp first came out was what got me into the Boys in the first place... my brother came into my room and said "put on the headphones, you've got to hear this!"...

And the Sunflower package was incredible... all the guys looked so cool (except Bruce)... the shot of Brian is perhaps my all-time favorite...

Man, what a great album...

That is such a lovely post! Thanks. So we decidedly have something in common. I was in a Smiley Smile-phase then, and bought Sunflower, not really sure what to expect. A headphone session with SF meant an absolute shift: from monaural simplicity to sophisticated stereo... I urged my brother to listen too, and he absolutely loved it.

mtaber
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 03:58:18 AM »

Sorry for going OT, but Smiley Smile was an album that, when it 1st came out, my brother purchased.  My friends and I listened to it a few times and thought "what a load of CRAP!" (we were in 9th grade).  Then, after Sunflower, I got interested in the group and bought Smiley (my 3rd or 4th purchase of their stuff by then).  I played it and thought "hey, I remember this, I used to hate it" but this time around I loved it!  Smiley is sometimes my favorite BB album.  "Gettin' Hungry" gets in my head still to this day (For MYYYY kind of woman...).

Back to Sunflower... the thing that was so great about that album was that the entire group was involved... seemed like a real GROUP album, as opposed to, say, CATP which was like cuts from four solo albums.  When CATP first came out, I heard "Here She Comes" on FM radio during a block of like 6 songs and when the block was over the DJ came on and said "that was tracks by (somebody, somebody, somebody, somebody, somebody) and the BEACH BOYS" and I FREAKED OUT!  "Which track was the Beach Boys?  WTF?  I DIDN'T HEAR NO FREAKIN' BEACH BOYS!!!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 04:08:07 AM »

Sunflower is to the Beach Boys as Pet Sounds is to Brian Wilson.

I am pleased that these 2 LPs are being reissued. It certainly won't the chances of additional material being released.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »

I got into the Beach Boys in 1988 and by 1989 had Surf's Up. It like the other Rieley LP's had to grow on me, mainly because they were so different then the sixties stuff. Of course I liked them better then the stuff the recorded from 75 on, and now can really get into them without comparing them to anything else. Sunflower though was one of those albums that grabed me right off. It is such an amazing experience. I have an NM original and I also have one of the 360 Spatializers so it (along with the LP's of Surf's Up, and Spring) is just wonderful to hear. It's the album I play to show people the Beach Boys had real depth and variety to their sound. Even people that don't care for them seem to like somthing on it. It's fantastic music and yes the best example of the group as a full unit with Brian still in peak form. Dennis is also at his best and has Mike ever sounded better then on All I Wanna Do? Again I am just glad that a few thousand more people will hear this stuff on wax.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 06:15:49 AM »

Any chance of the LPs being released on colored vinyl? Now that would make it really interesting...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »

Any chance of the LPs being released on colored vinyl? Now that would make it really interesting...

Why? Princely, stately black surely is the finest 'color' for such LPs, no?

Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »

Now, if they reissued Holland with the Mount Vernon EP in its original cartoon sleeve, that would be lovely.

Funny that it probably won't ever happen because Holland is the only album of the three to contain a hit single.

I just found a copy of Holland with the Mt. Vernon EP in the original sleeve at a vinyl shop called Low Yo-Yo Stuff here in Atlanta for $8 a few weeks ago. Great condition other than the previous owners name written on Ricky's face. Smiley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »

Why? Princely, stately black surely is the finest 'color' for such LPs, no?

No. Sunflower on yellow or white and Surf's Up on dark green vinyl would be so much cooler.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

I have VG++ copies of both..vinyl and sleeve and some lesser backups.  I'll probably pass.

But as for colored vinyl, has there ever been a BB picture disc?  (other than some obscure Japanese pressing)

That would be very cool (if they used period pictures of the band) and would warrant buying one of those combination disc/sleeve matted frame displays that you see in collectible shops.  I would HANG that puppy! 
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »

I just found a copy of Holland with the Mt. Vernon EP in the original sleeve at a vinyl shop called Low Yo-Yo Stuff here in Atlanta for $8 a few weeks ago. Great condition other than the previous owners name written on Ricky's face. Smiley

A bit off topic, but I have a copy of Today where the previous owner had reviewed every song and made notes of to the right of the song titles on the back cover. He even dated each review with the earliest being in 1970 and the latest being 1983! It also appears that he'd loaned the album out to a friend who wrote his own little reviews, often in direct opposition to what the other guy thought!

After Kiss me baby he writes: "Pure Brian at his peak of Spectorian glory"
after In The Back Of My Mind he writes: Brian in an introspective mood! And the other guy writes: "More like suicidal"

Priceless!!!!
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »

A bit off topic, but I have a copy of Today where the previous owner had reviewed every song and made notes of to the right of the song titles on the back cover. He even dated each review with the earliest being in 1970 and the latest being 1983! It also appears that he'd loaned the album out to a friend who wrote his own little reviews, often in direct opposition to what the other guy thought!

After Kiss me baby he writes: "Pure Brian at his peak of Spectorian glory"
after In The Back Of My Mind he writes: Brian in an introspective mood! And the other guy writes: "More like suicidal"

Priceless!!!!

Thats funny, sounds like someone was a little high....
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx