gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:30:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower - Capitol Vinyl Reissue  (Read 1655 times)
bluerincon1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »

I am wondering, why did Capitol/EMI choose to release the Brother/Reprise 12-track edition on vinyl instead of it own original 13-track international version.  I know that since both the single mix of "Cottonfields" and "Sunflower" were both issued by EMI, so "Cottonfields" was placed on the international edition to boost sales.  I think with it's addition, it makes for a stronger album.  I believe it does fit on the album.  It was recorded during the "Sunflower" era in August of 1969 and was placed on the reel titled "Last Capitol Album" with other tracks that wound up on "Sunflower."  I know it may not be what the Beach Boys wanted, but Paul McCartney didn't place "Helen Wheels" on "Band On The Run."  That was a Capitol decision.  However, the 25th anniversary edition (released worldwide) does include "Helen Wheels" so I'm guessing he has accepted the extra track on the album.

Any thoughts? Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »

Well, in that specific instance, the 25th anniversary edition of Band on the Run was a two disc extravaganza and had tons of bonus tracks anyway. Paul, who probably had a lot of sway when the Beatles CDs were first released, made sure all of those albums had all the right tracklistings. So usually, he does care about that stuff, but BOTR25 was going to have a lot of added tracks to begin with.

The Sunflower vinyl reissue was a reissue of the original album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx