gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:27:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718869 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2006, 10:33:29 AM »

Steven, there is a debate over in the "who sang what thread" about the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree" that your opinion would weigh greatly on...who is singing "oh lord I lay me down" during the tag with Van Dyke?  I know the first time it is sung by Jack Rieley before the rest of the tag vocals come in.  We are split between it being Al or Brian.  Do you happen to remember this particular detail?  Thanks for the help Steven (and for that awesome "Do It Again" story!).
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 07, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »

Quote from: Stephen W. Desper
No it's Brian. Al was up north when we recorded this part. The lyric was more due to the influence of Jack R. than
anyone. ~swd

That's what he had to say about this subject.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2006, 01:40:23 PM »

Steven, there is a debate over in the "who sang what thread" about the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree" that your opinion would weigh greatly on...who is singing "oh lord I lay me down" during the tag with Van Dyke?

I don't know why there should be any debate.  This is all covered in my book  Why don't you obtain a copy and learn THE FACTS!  There is NO OPINION about who sang what. This is not a fairy tail world we live in. ~swd

RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS  by Stephen W. Desper
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:51:11 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »

shameless plug Wink

Stephen,

Don't hate me if this was asked before, but was 'Our Prayer' re-recorded for 20/20? Or did they use any tracks from SMiLE? The reason I ask is because there are a few harmonies I can hear that I havent heard in the SMiLE recordings nor are they present in the 2004 version.

thanks
-J

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2006, 03:12:55 PM »

shameless plug Wink

Stephen,

Don't hate me if this was asked before, but was 'Our Prayer' re-recorded for 20/20? Or did they use any tracks from SMiLE? The reason I ask is because there are a few harmonies I can hear that I havent heard in the SMiLE recordings nor are they present in the 2004 version.

thanks
-J

Maybe I can help you, if you don't mind. Dennis and Carl went back to the studio and overdubbed a little on the original Smile-track.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »

Ok cool, so then its a complete new mix down as well?

how many tracks is Our Prayer, anyway?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2006, 04:07:53 PM »

shameless plug Wink

Stephen,

thanks
-J

Forgive me but I don't understand this question.  SMiLE was recorded long after 20/20. The, so called, smile sessions were not called such until much later - an invention of the press. Our Prayer was recorded at Columbia Studios, shelved for several years, pulled and sweetened by Carl and group for 20/20.  It was also technically enhanced for release in stereo on 20/20.  Some tracks were doubled using the Phillips unit, some were added to by the group, but for the most part it was basically the original recording.  What was used for SMiLE would be better asked of Mark Linett. ~swd  
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2006, 04:09:18 PM »

Ok cool, so then its a complete new mix down as well?

how many tracks is Our Prayer, anyway?

An eight-track recording, but twelve at mixdown. ~swd
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »

The, so called, smile sessions were not called such until much later - an invention of the press.

He wasn't conducting sessions for an album provisionally entitled SMiLE?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2006, 06:22:36 PM »

Mr. Desper, Carl's lead vocal on Cabinessence....does that date from 1966 or from 1968 when Carl went back to the track for the 20/20 album?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

The, so called, smile sessions were not called such until much later - an invention of the press.

He wasn't conducting sessions for an album provisionally entitled SMiLE?
You all refer to all sessions about or with the songs that eventually appeared on the newly released album called SMiLE as from an album that was never made but was going to be made called SMiLE.  I always refer to them as "so-called smile" songs or sessions because at the time those songs were recorded, an album called smile was never refered to nor were those songs refered to as being part of a smile project.  It wasn't until later that that group of songs was collected into what is now called "the smile sessions." That is when the mystic started.  You may find the postings in the archives of interest starting with and continuing thereafter the post by Susan of Livingstons's essay at Feb 25, 2002 -- 9:44 pm.  http://surfermoon.com/essays/desperarchive.html [/b]   ~swd  
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2006, 06:40:02 PM »

Mr. Desper, Carl's lead vocal on Cabinessence....does that date from 1966 or from 1968 when Carl went back to the track for the 20/20 album?
It is so far back for me to remember.  I think it is from earlier, but not certain.  My log book from those sessions may tell, but it's packed away.  ~swd
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 07, 2006, 06:59:53 PM »

Mr. Desper, I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand your comment on the Smile project.  According to multiple contemporary articles preserved in Look Listen Vibrate Smile! there were press releases discussing the project and calling it "Smile".  In addition, there were album covers printed that have the title "Smile" all over them.  I can see your point about the myth for sure, but isn't it a bit extreme to say that Brian was recording tracks with no concept of an album to be made called "Smile"?  That would be a major revision to the canon as we fans have had it to the point of rendering a whole book and movie documentary incorrect.

Again, no disrespect, but that is a heavy thing to say.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #313 on: February 07, 2006, 07:22:35 PM »

[
quote author=Jeff Mason link=topic=5.msg14773#msg14773 date=1139367593]
Mr. Desper, I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand your comment on the Smile project.  According to multiple contemporary articles preserved in Look Listen Vibrate Smile! there were press releases discussing the project and calling it "Smile".  In addition, there were album covers printed that have the title "Smile" all over them.

Not to mention said album covers had an early track listing.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:28:16 PM by RobtheNobleSurfer » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2006, 10:09:39 PM »

Mr. Desper, I mean no disrespect, but I don't understand your comment on the Smile project.  According to multiple contemporary articles preserved in Look Listen Vibrate Smile! there were press releases discussing the project and calling it "Smile".  In addition, there were album covers printed that have the title "Smile" all over them.  I can see your point about the myth for sure, but isn't it a bit extreme to say that Brian was recording tracks with no concept of an album to be made called "Smile"?  That would be a major revision to the canon as we fans have had it to the point of rendering a whole book and movie documentary incorrect.

Again, no disrespect, but that is a heavy thing to say.

No disrespect taken.

The earliest reference to a "smile" album name I can find is 1979 in a quote from Mike Love.  Brian did not meet Parks until Feb of 1967. Good Vibs had been recorded right after Pet Sounds.  Hero's and Villians was begun in 1961 as were tidbits of other songs. Sometimes these are referred to as "The Elements" or "Pocket Symphony." I don't think Brian's concept of an album called "Smile" was in his head until some time after the songs that are now included in SMiLE or the proposed SMILE was conceptualized.  However, everyone after 1980 speaks of recordings of that time as though they were part of the album called SMILE for sake of understanding, usually referring to it as "Smile-era."  It's something that the record company started as did the general press.

In the following post from yours Jeff Mason is showing an album cover called SMILE that was the subject of a bootleg album release consisting of collected songs available at the time and edited togehter into what was thought might be "the smile collection."  The front artwork is from late 1967, but the back of the album, containing song titles, is not of that vintage and does not even show a photo of Brian with his group. Please don't get this all confused as part of any official "to be" release.

Here are some quotes from Brian, but he does not refer to Smile, only "the next album."

"Our next album will be better than 'Pet Sounds'. It will be an improvement over 'Sounds' as that was over 'Summer Days'."
– Brian Wilson

“This LP will include ‘Good Vibrations’ and ‘Heroes and Villains’ and ten other tracks. I’ve written them all in collaboration with Van Dyke Parks, who’s been a studio organist in Los Angeles for ages-he also records on his own.”
-Brian Wilson (“Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile” Domenic Priore, editor. 1988) 

“It makes Pet Sounds stink—that’s how good it is”
– Dennis Wilson (“The Beach Boys & The Southern California Myth” by David Leaf. 1979) 

“The album will include lots of humour-some musical and some spoken. It won’t be like a comedy LP-there won’t be any spoken tracks as such-but someone might say something in between verses.”
-Brian Wilson (“Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile” Domenic Priore, editor. 1988)

So what I'm saying is that these sessions were not referred to as Smile sessions by those involved with them at that time.  The reference to Smile came later.  I believe it was Brian and Parks that thought up the name "Smile" to replace an earlier reference name or "working title" of Dumb Angle.  This was the album title or concept for an album title Brian had when he started working in 1961 on what was to become SMiLE in 1967 and was completed in 2005. I don't think this is in disagreement with anything that has been printed before -- although you may have not seen it.

You should find the SMiLE article in Sound On Sound Magazine one of the best details about Smile around.

Another good artile called The Smile Sessions by D. Leone is also a good read.

In any event,  here's the man and his smile! 

~swd
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »

Brian did not meet Parks until Feb of 1967.

They had written all the SMiLE tracks before 1967. Including H&V, Surf's Up, Cabinessence etc. They met at a party in 1966 through mutual friends David Crosby and Terry Melcher.

The SMiLE cover that Jeff showed was printed up by Capitol in 1966 as a finished album sleeve. At least 50, 000 were printed. Samples of this cover exist, along with the booklet printed for the cover.

Stores had display pieces for the album that Capitol distributed.

There is a Capitol promo ad from 1966 trumpeting the impending SMiLE release in January 1967.

Countless contemporary articles talk about the impending album, calling it by name. A lengthy piece by Jules Siegel entitled "Goodbye Surfing Hello God" chronicles the history of the album in 1967. Derek Taylor talked about it. Paul Williams, same. The book "Look Listen Vibrate SMiLE!" compiled by Dominic Priore collates all this material.

Mike stated in several live shows about SMile finally being released soon, on the Brother label in the early 70's. Check that on the track of Wonderful/Don't Worry Bill on the Endless Harmony CD.

All these facts can be very easily checked and are of public record.

I mean no disrespect, but I find these statements you have made about the SMiLE project to be almost bizarre in their complete ignorance (NOT saying you are ignorant) of what we fans know to be true beyond a shadow of a doubt.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:39:44 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »

I am getting hacked account vibes here.
If so, sorry Stephen.
In fact, dollars to donuts:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=589.0
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:49:08 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 08, 2006, 12:52:45 AM »

AND here (see post by mike8902):
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=25.240

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2006, 01:04:35 AM »

Gosh, if it's not a hacked account.. it's just really weird..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2006, 01:15:52 AM »

Well, rereading the last few pages of posts, I am getting a weird feeling about this.
If I have said anything amiss, I apologise.
I'll leave it to everyone to sort this out.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:45:17 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2006, 01:19:48 AM »

Picture of Brian flashing his new choppers. "The man and his smile". Nothing sinister there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2006, 01:21:45 AM »

*edit*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:45:30 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »

Wait, are you saying that he's been a fake all along?!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2006, 01:34:51 AM »

No, but there seems to be a change in style and spelling after the board changeover.
Check it out for yourselves, guys.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:07:36 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »

*edit*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:08:11 AM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

gfx