gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:47:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Tour Dates (as they roll out) (*UPDATED, Feb 15th*)  (Read 231187 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »

Come back SJS! He was a cool guy when I first joined the board as an impressionable eejit a few years back  Grin

As I recall SJS got into an argument with some of the honored guests, wouldn't accept what they were saying and flounced off in a huff.

flounced off in a huff.....................you don't often hear that phrase
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:23 PM »

I'm kinda disgusted by the US tour dates. There is way too many, these guys are 70 for f*** sake

Not to mention big 18,000 seater shows are being added a month before the date, no way is that enough time to sell that many tickets..

Terribly planned tour, just terrible. And that just the US, we all know how badly they messed up the UK

And not to mention not even promoting the announced Europe dates

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »

I'm kinda disgusted by the US tour dates. There is way too many, these guys are 70 for f*ck sake

Not to mention big 18,000 seater shows are being added a month before the date, no way is that enough time to sell that many tickets..

Terribly planned tour, just terrible. And that just the US, we all know how badly they messed up the UK

Sorry. Based on what?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:07 AM »

I'm kinda disgusted by the US tour dates. There is way too many, these guys are 70 for f*ck sake

Sorry. Based on what?

Ummmmmm , well as a Brit I took the decision to travel to 2 of the 3 German gigs so that I would not miss out ( thank god ) , I really can't comment about the other Euro gigs ( Italy , Belgium etc....) nor can I comment on the local advertising / promotion BUT it does appear that there are very few seats left for the German gigs ( ie 1,000 out of approx 30,000 ) which are in medium to very high capacity venues.....
In conclusion , I certainly don't think promotion is an issue in certain sectors
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: March 22, 2012, 02:44:30 AM »

Isn't promotion more or less the job of the concert organizers?
But yes, a bit irritating that the Euro gigs don't get a mention on thebeachboys.com.

The German radio station I always listen to (even though I live in Switzerland) is involved with the gig in Stuttgart and did some heavy promotion in December and early January. Then suddenly from one day to another, no mention at all anymore, so I guess the tickets sold well.

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 22, 2012, 05:27:37 AM »

How stupid would it be of me to get a German ticket when I'm currently out of work? What's that you say...not very...going to Berlin is essential? I hear you!

I'm still in limbo over this one though, I could probably scrape together the money if I sold my plasma screen tv but i'm scared incase they then go and announce a British date!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:42:46 AM by Craig Boyd » Logged
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:23 AM »

I'm also sceptical about a European outing in case UK shows are announced, money being a key factor here, even if it is the friggin' Beach Boys. The furthest I can really afford to go is Paris, which I'm more than willing to go to (maybe even if they do some UK shows).

I'm not worrying because they also haven't announced dates in France, Spain or Ireland - if they announce 1 or 2 of those without news of a UK show or two then I'll start worrying.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

Spoke with Bruce in passing in LA and regarding the UK:  "England won't let us in.  The problem is...we gotta be there by the end of August."    It seems they're really, really trying but with all the events going on in London this summer--they're coming up with resistance.   He did not mention how it would be resolved.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 22, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

Spoke with Bruce in passing in LA and regarding the UK:  "England won't let us in.  The problem is...we gotta be there by the end of August."    It seems they're really, really trying but with all the events going on in London this summer--they're coming up with resistance.   He did not mention how it would be resolved.

Fair to say this is Olympics related?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »

That sucks majorly.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 22, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

Huh? Both Brian and the Mike and Bruce band have played more dates in a year than are on this tour (and M&B do so regularly). There is clearly demand for shows -- people want to see them! That's why there are so many. That doesn't seem disgusting at all.

I don't think those shows would be added unless they were pretty sure they could do so. If a tour is doing badly -- i.e., if there is not a demand for tickets -- you are not adding 18,000 seat venues.

What exactly is terribly planned about it? That they're selling out venues? That there is considerable public demand for tickets? That there is a public buzz about the band for the first time in decades? Seems like an expertly planned tour -- one with enough empty space in between dates that they had the flexibility to add shows if needed. And so they are.

I also don't see that they "messed up" the UK. They're simply not playing there. Given the holier-than-thou, privileged attitude of _some_ UK fans on this board and elsewhere, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

As stated, not exactly their job. And it's still March, after all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:56:27 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #736 on: March 22, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »

(sits back, tosses popcorn in mouth, reaches for a Diet Coke...)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »

The BBs should do a short winter tour of the UK if they can't play in the summertime.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

Question. Why has Bruce said on several occasions the tour has to be over mid-August?

Health of members, pre-arranged Mike and Bruce bookings, Brian solo album recording, wive's won't let them out, normal litigation and mud-slinging due to resume Sept 1 ?

The idea of a UK tour after the Olympic's and a Aust/ NZ tour late in the year seem not to be possible.

What is going on here?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 22, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to let Mike & Brian & Al & Dave & Bruce know (via the powers who read here) that Stainforth Village Hall, Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK, is available on any of the dates they have free. It only costs about £70 to hire for the day and there's seating for up to 100 people – if they sell out, the St Peter's church, just around the corner, holds more and is usually available as a fall back.

The village ladies will be more than happy to do cakes and tea by the pot (teapot, not… y'know…) and publicity is guaranteed – not only am I the village correspondent for the Craven Herald & Pioneer, but I join with the Horton and Ingleton correspondents frequently for a night of curry and gossip: we could get three paragraphs in the local paper, not just one!

The band an d tour entourage could easily be accommodated in the Craven Heifer pub - there's a bunkhouse 200 yards down the road for any overspill (wives, managers etc) and shortage of cottages available for a week's rental.

Of course, if intimate gigs packed with fans and a home-made atmosphere are something you guys left behind 50 years ago, then keep on looking for a stadium that isn't hosting the curling championships or international whiff whaff.

Stainforth is waiting. Have The Beach Boys got the balls?

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

Question. Why has Bruce said on several occasions the tour has to be over mid-August?

Health of members, pre-arranged Mike and Bruce bookings, Brian solo album recording, wive's won't let them out, normal litigation and mud-slinging due to resume Sept 1 ?

The idea of a UK tour after the Olympic's and a Aust/ NZ tour late in the year seem not to be possible.

What is going on here?

A very good question. The basic contract / arrangement / agreement between all the principals seems to be that the tour / reunion runs through August. Period.

However, it does seem to make a lot of sense that if things go well, there should be more dates. A winter UK tour should be a no brainer. I just don't think the interested parties are planning that far ahead yet.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to let Mike & Brian & Al & Dave & Bruce know (via the powers who read here) that Stainforth Village Hall, Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK, is available on any of the dates they have free. It only costs about £70 to hire for the day and there's seating for up to 100 people – if they sell out, the St Peter's church, just around the corner, holds more and is usually available as a fall back.

The village ladies will be more than happy to do cakes and tea by the pot (teapot, not… y'know…) and publicity is guaranteed – not only am I the village correspondent for the Craven Herald & Pioneer, but I join with the Horton and Ingleton correspondents frequently for a night of curry and gossip: we could get three paragraphs in the local paper, not just one!

The band an d tour entourage could easily be accommodated in the Craven Heifer pub - there's a bunkhouse 200 yards down the road for any overspill (wives, managers etc) and shortage of cottages available for a week's rental.

Of course, if intimate gigs packed with fans and a home-made atmosphere are something you guys left behind 50 years ago, then keep on looking for a stadium that isn't hosting the curling championships or international whiff whaff.

This would be awesome. There should also be a murder so Brian and Mike can solve a Miss Marple-style crime.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »

What is going on here?

A very good question. The basic contract / arrangement / agreement between all the principals seems to be that the tour / reunion runs through August. Period.

However, it does seem to make a lot of sense that if things go well, there should be more dates. A winter UK tour should be a no brainer. I just don't think the interested parties are planning that far ahead yet.

Simple way to make everyone happy is this.

A statement from the band.

'We appreciate the support and interest in our current celebration tour. This summer we are heading out on the road for, at last count, 60 concerts. After these we will take some time off but if all is well we may add some more dates for our UK and Aust/ NZ fans later. Stay tuned for more late in 2012.'

Simple....and everone happy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

Somehow the tour didn’t seem extra daunting when it was announced, but even though they haven’t added a ton of dates since that announcement, it is sizing up to be a pretty busy tour.

It certainly seems like they’re cramming as many shows in as possible in a defined period of time, as if there is some sort of end point or deadline. The question is, if this is the case, why are they doing it? Do they just want to get on with their lives after August? Are they worried they can’t hold the whole group together for longer than that? Are they open to “continuing” the reunion next year? They haven’t spoken to any of this, probably because they’re plenty occupied with just getting the album out and doing the tour they have in front of them.

I suppose an announcement explaining the UK situation would be nice, but only if they know what the plan is or at least what they’re aiming for. In other words, I wouldn’t want them to placate fans by saying “We’re hoping to do some UK shows later this year or next year” if they already know they’re done after August and can’t fit more dates in.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

Simple way to make everyone happy is this.

A statement from the band.

'We appreciate the support and interest in our current celebration tour. This summer we are heading out on the road for, at last count, 60 concerts. After these we will take some time off but if all is well we may add some more dates for our UK and Aust/ NZ fans later. Stay tuned for more late in 2012.'

Simple....and everone happy.

Sorry Orville, it won't fly. Let's suppose they posted exactly that on all the major BB MBs, then later said "sorry, no post-August shows": the sh*t would descend in awe-inspiring quantity. "But you said there may be shows, you promised". Trust me, been here before.

Mind, it'd give Phil Cohen so much to bitch about he'd probably explode with... well, not exactly happiness as that's an alien emotion to him, but you get my drift.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

": the sh*t would descend in awe-inspiring quantity.

Look up Andrew....It's pretty heavy already!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »

The village ladies will be more than happy to do cakes and tea by the pot (teapot, not… y'Iknow…) and publicity is guaranteed – not only am I the village correspondent for the Craven Herald & Pioneer, but I join with the Horton and Ingleton correspondents frequently for a night of curry and gossip: we could get three paragraphs in the local paper, not just one!

The band and tour entourage could easily be accommodated in the Craven Heifer pub - there's a bunkhouse 200 yards down the road for any overspill (wives, managers etc) and shortage of cottages available for a week's rental.

This would be awesome. There should also be a murder so Brian and Mike can solve a Miss Marple-style crime.

Sorted.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »

The village ladies will be more than happy to do cakes and tea by the pot (teapot, not… y'Iknow…) and publicity is guaranteed – not only am I the village correspondent for the Craven Herald & Pioneer, but I join with the Horton and Ingleton correspondents frequently for a night of curry and gossip: we could get three paragraphs in the local paper, not just one!

The band and tour entourage could easily be accommodated in the Craven Heifer pub - there's a bunkhouse 200 yards down the road for any overspill (wives, managers etc) and shortage of cottages available for a week's rental.

Sorted.

(oh blimey, they'd better come now!)

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 22, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »

Diet Coke is not good for you Andrew it contains an artificial sweetner which is very harmful to your body.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »

Diet Coke is not good for you Andrew it contains an artificial sweetner which is very harmful to your body.

Dear boy, the stuff I've put through this body over the years, it would have to be weapons grade plutonium to have any harmful effect.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx