gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:12:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 144597 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 23, 2011, 06:00:08 AM »

Concisely, Brian's management decided he'd be better served by recording a solo album. Bruce has been very vocal in the past about how dumb a stunt that was.

Didn't Carl walk out of the sessions? And call the material weak? If that's the case, it's hardly surprising Brian pursued a solo path rather than deal with a resistant group.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »

New interview with David Marks: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/david-marks-is-ready-to-do-it-again
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 23, 2011, 07:19:48 AM »

Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased vastly expanded reissued albums by The Association and Harpers Bizarre, if groups of this stature can get the deluxe treatment then I have no doubt that there is a market for new expanded Beach Boy albums and that record execs realise this.

Of course I would love to have deluxe editions of all the albums, but what does make this a bit complicated is the fact that groups like The Association and Harpers Bizzare have like five or maybe ten albums, while The Beach Boys have 28.

That is a good point.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: December 23, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »

Am I the one who is being called a troll ?

Huh? Not to my knowledge!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 23, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »

I still think a 2-CD (or more) live box would be neat. Or live highlights on one or two CD's in the compilation box. Chicago '65, Michigan '66, Central Park/Fillmore '71, Carnegie Hall '72, Nassau '74, Gotfuct '77, Unplugged '93, etc.

The Holy Grail - one song to sell the whole comp: "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:48:28 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: December 23, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »

Oh yeah, I'd be down for a live box too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »

Gotfuct '77

That's a real city? sounds like a joke.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 23, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »

What joke.  You don't know where that is, Aegir?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 23, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

I would love if the reissues are the single album paired with outtakes. Maybe some unbooted material would finally surface!

Look at the sessions section of Andrew's website.  From the info gathered there, these are theoretically possible bonus tracks, although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the songs no longer exist for some reason. Some of these we've heard, many we haven't.

Surf's Up- Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again; Won't You Tell Me

So Tough-  Beatrice From Baltimore ( don't know if the original version of Mess of Help exists but am interested in the lyrics); Out in the Country; Ten Years Harmony

Holland- We Got Love

At this point things get muddled. The infamous 1974 material doesn't have an obvious slot. Tack that on to Holland, or to 15 BO? Sadly, my bet is neither happens, robbing us of ever hearing the 1974 CF -_-

15 Big Ones- Angel Come Home (yup, although I think it was just the backing track and a rough vocal); Sea Cruise; Mony Mony; Clangin'; 10,000 Years Ago; Lisa

Love You- the Adult Child material; You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin

MIU- Mike, Come Back To LA; Burlesque; How's About A Little Bit

LA- Calendar Girl; Looking Down the Coast; Drip Drop (yeah right LOL ); California Feeling (oh God no, not this version); Santa Ana Winds; I'm Begging You Please (umm....no); It's a Beautiful Day

Now, I don't believe any of these actually WILL be on there, but it's fun to dream Wink

Well actually Columnated, I'll fix this up for you. There are a few that I'm pretty sure don't exist and a few other changes. So (with the addition of Sunflower, here goes:

Sunflower
"San Miguel"
"What Can the Matter Be"
"Loop de Loop"
"I'm Going Your Way"
"Walkin'"
"Games Two Can Play"
"Soulful Old Man Sunshine"
"Where Is She?"
"Back Home"
"Carnival"
"I Just Got My Pay"
"You Never Give Me Your Money"

Surf's Up
"Seasons in the Sun"
"Big Sur" (early version)
"H.E.L.P. is on the Way"
"My Solution"
"Won't You Tell Me" (if it's considered a Beach Boys track)
"Burlesque"
"It's a New Day" (if it's considered a Beach Boys track)
"(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again"

Carl and the Passions "So Tough"
"Out in the Country"
"Body Talk"
"Funky Fever"
"Gimme Some Lovin'"
"Rooftop Harry"
"Spark in the Dark" (doubtful, just Brian messing around supposedly)

Holland
"We Got Love"

1974 Sessions
"California Feelin'"
"Brian's Jam"
"Clangin'"
"Battle Hymn Of The Republic"
"Brian's Tune"
"Lucy Jones"
"You're Riding High On The Music"
"Don't Let Me Go"
"Our Life, Our Love, Our Land"

15 Big Ones
"Come Go With Me"
"Come to the Sunshine"
"Gold Rush"
"Lisa"
"Secret Love"
"10,000 Years Ago"
"Workin' In A Coal Mine"
"Sea Cruise"
"On Broadway"
"Mony, Mony"
"Running Bear"
"Shake, Rattle & Roll"
"Michael Rowed The Boat Ashore"
"Let's Dance"
"Don't Fight the Sea"
"Short Skirts"

Love You
"Ruby Baby"
"Marilyn Rovell"
"Sherry She Needs Me"
"That Special Feeling"
"We Gotta Groove"
"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
"Lazy Lizzie"

M.I.U. Album
"Hows About A Little Bit (of Your Sweet Lovin')"
"Why"
"Egypt"
"Beach Burlesque"
"Goin To Get That Girl"
"Our Team"

L.A. (Light Album)
"Looking Down the Coast"
"California Feelin'"
"Calendar Girl"
"Brian's Back"
"Please Darling"

Keepin' the Summer Alive
"Little Girl"
"Jamaica Farewell"
"Stranded in the Jungle"
"Johnny B. Goode"
"Surfer Suzie"
"Da Doo Ron Ron"
"Smokey Places"
"Boys & Girls"
"Goin to the Beach"
"I'll Always Love You"
"Starbaby"
"How's About a Little Bit (of Your Sweet Lovin')"

The Beach Boys
"Stevie"
"Sweetie"
"East Meets West"
"Chasin' the Sky"
"Down by the Pier"
"Water Builds Up"

That is probably all the things they could add as bonus tracks and whatnot.

*Thanks to AGD site for this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:52:30 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 23, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »

I would love if the reissues are the single album paired with outtakes. Maybe some unbooted material would finally surface!

Look at the sessions section of Andrew's website.  From the info gathered there, these are theoretically possible bonus tracks, although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the songs no longer exist for some reason. Some of these we've heard, many we haven't.

Surf's Up- Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again; Won't You Tell Me

So Tough-  Beatrice From Baltimore ( don't know if the original version of Mess of Help exists but am interested in the lyrics); Out in the Country; Ten Years Harmony

Holland- We Got Love

At this point things get muddled. The infamous 1974 material doesn't have an obvious slot. Tack that on to Holland, or to 15 BO? Sadly, my bet is neither happens, robbing us of ever hearing the 1974 CF -_-

15 Big Ones- Angel Come Home (yup, although I think it was just the backing track and a rough vocal); Sea Cruise; Mony Mony; Clangin'; 10,000 Years Ago; Lisa

Love You- the Adult Child material; You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin

MIU- Mike, Come Back To LA; Burlesque; How's About A Little Bit

LA- Calendar Girl; Looking Down the Coast; Drip Drop (yeah right LOL ); California Feeling (oh God no, not this version); Santa Ana Winds; I'm Begging You Please (umm....no); It's a Beautiful Day

Now, I don't believe any of these actually WILL be on there, but it's fun to dream Wink

Well actually Columnated, I'll fix this up for you. There are a few that I'm pretty sure don't exist and a few other changes. So (with the addition of Sunflower, here goes:

15 Big Ones

"Come to the Sunshine"

Now THIS I would love to hear! I love Van Dyke's version and am now very intrigued as to what Bri and the guys done with it.
Jason
« Reply #660 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »

Apparently, that version of Come To The Sunshine is lost.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »

What about "Just An Imitation"? Wasn't that done during the CATP or Holland sessions or am I way off?
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 23, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

Apparently, that version of Come To The Sunshine is lost.

Damn, that's a shame. Would have been good to hear.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 23, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »

What about "Just An Imitation"? Wasn't that done during the CATP or Holland sessions or am I way off?

No evidence that it was ever recorded - I've never heard it.  Unreleased, might be a David Sandler song reworked.

Speaking of rare unreleased, how about "Spark In The Dark"?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:39:21 AM by Mikie » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »

No evidence that it was ever recorded - I've never heard it.  Unreleased, might be a David Sandler song reworked.

Speaking of rare unreleased, how about "Spark In The Dark"?

Sounds like it wouldn't be released, given what it consists of....

Also something called 'Spark In The Dark', also from '72

Not, as is frequently assumed, a nascent "Funky Pretty". It's Brian noodling around on a piano for several minutes - starts off sounding like "Loop De Loop", has a bit of a wander and ends up sounding alarmingly like "Chain Reaction Of Love". No vocals.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 23, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »

Concisely, Brian's management decided he'd be better served by recording a solo album. Bruce has been very vocal in the past about how dumb a stunt that was.

Didn't Carl walk out of the sessions? And call the material weak? If that's the case, it's hardly surprising Brian pursued a solo path rather than deal with a resistant group.

That seems to be pretty much the picture painted in Carlin's book. Carl didn't think the material was commercial enough, the Beach Boys apparently wanted to bring in Sean O Hagan, which looks like a vote of no confidence in Brian. Brian had developed most of the material prior to what little Beach Boys involvement there seems to have been, so it was his to take away. Maybe Carlin's book is pro Brian but there does seem to be more to it than that it was Brian's management's fault.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:56:44 AM by Keri » Logged
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 23, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »

That seems to be pretty much the picture painted in Carlin's book. Carl didn't think the material was commercial enough, the Beach Boys apparently wanted to bring in Sean O Hagan, which looks like a vote of no confidence in Brian. Brian had developed most of the material prior to what little Beach Boys involvement there seems to have been, so it was his to take away. Maybe Carlin's book is pro Brian but there does seem to be more to it than that it was Brian's management's fault.

C-man posted this great run-down of all the competing agendas in play during the whole Paley/O'Hagan episode.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9255.msg158623.html#msg158623
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »

"Carry Me Home" (Holland era) would be a nice addition as well.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »

Interesting stuff, C-Man, thank you for that post. 
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 23, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

C-man posted this great run-down of all the competing agendas in play during the whole Paley/O'Hagan episode.

Interesting post, seems to be another case of not being on the same page. I think it may well work this time as they seem to have made official agreements already, I think Brian is happy to write with Mike and  the Beach Boys are happy for Brian to produce. Carl not being there anymore sadly may actually be a factor in favour of it all working now, having another BB with strong musical opinions might have been too much to keep together.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »

Interesting post, seems to be another case of not being on the same page. I think it may well work this time as they seem to have made official agreements already, I think Brian is happy to write with Mike and  the Beach Boys are happy for Brian to produce. Carl not being there anymore sadly may actually be a factor in favour of it all working now, having another BB with strong musical opinions might have been too much to keep together.

Sadly, I think that might be true.

Also sad: my impression is that Brian really wanted to work with the group in the 90s. He was healthy, he was creative, the band still had a mean blend with Carl in the middle of it. I mean, ask yourself this: Why else would he have anything to do with Stars and Stripes? Such a wasted opportunity.

Not that the still-emerging wifeandmanagers don't have something to answer for either. Accept that the BBs project would have fallen through. Too fraught. The management team should have realized that, if they were going to make a BW solo record a priority, that the style and sound of Imagination was not the way to capitalize on the mid-90s BW underground buzz. As it was, it took them another nine years or so to regain that cred (with BWPS).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:06:02 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 23, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

"Carry Me Home" (Holland era) would be a nice addition as well.

Love that one.  Kinda depressing for the masses, but...........Blondie did a great job. Evidently the booted version is the only recorded version in existence. Every time I listen to it, I think I hear Toni Tenille on that.

"I've Got A Friend" cleaned up and the '63 and '70 versions of "Back Home" for me.

And the alternate "Add Some Music" would be cool.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 23, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »

My dream is for the vaults to have a 1965 completed version of sandy/sherry she needs me, somewhere.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PhilCohen
« Reply #673 on: December 23, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »

My dream is for the vaults to have a 1965 completed version of sandy/sherry she needs me, somewhere.

As for "Sandy", all that now exists(according to Mark Linett) is the unfinished recording(as presented by bootlegger "Sea of Tunes"), but it doesn't mean that further tapes for the song didn't exist back in 1965.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:54:06 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 23, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »

My dream is to have "Where is She?", the 1974 version of "California Feelin'", the 1963 version of "Back Home", and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" released. That is it. Anything else is gravy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx