gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:42:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sean O'Hagan and the BBs  (Read 17068 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

The Carlin paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense in suggesting that a partnering with O'Hagan was the proposed alternative to recording the supposedly non-commercial Paley tracks. There's no way O'Hagan and Wilson would come up with something more commercial than what Paley and Wilson did; is that what Carl was hoping for? If the band wanted something artsier and more like SUNFLOWER (which I believe O'Hagan suggested as a template), then I can understand the request to work with The High Llamas guy.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »

I know Mike might not be the warmest guy in the world all the time but I find it really hard to believe he called Sean O'Hagan a estranho as soon as they met. . .

Since I don't think Mike is homophobic, and knowing Mike's unusual sense of humor, I wouldn't be surprised if calling Sean a "fagg­ot" was just a way of making him uneasy. I remember reading that Mike once said, during an interview, something along the lines of "I like making jokes who don't make people laugh". I can definitely relate to that - what matters to me are people's reactions. If they laugh, it's funny; if they're shocked, it's funny too! Some people don't get that, so you have to explain to these people afterwards that you just intended to be funny, at least to yourself. Mike might simply not have made himself clear enough after making fun of Sean.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »

Well, the High Llamas were on the label that had the offer -- V2 (it was the Virgin records follow-up company that Branson started) -- so perhaps it was a record company suggestion, too.
SG7
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »

I think at one point they were trying it seems like maybe too hard to pair him up with anyone who sounded or were influenced in BB like fashion. I think Jellyfish at one point was suppose to do stuff with him too, but that didn't work out either.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »

I think Jellyfish at one point was suppose to do stuff with him too, but that didn't work out either.
He did some work with one of those guys. Manning? I forget whom. Probably something that ended up on a Ringo Starr album or something...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »

Backing vox on Don Was produced track "in a heartbeat" on the Time Takes Time album.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »

I said it before and I'll say it again, Carl really screwed Brian over during this time.

If Carl was resented, he had reason for it. After all, he was portraied as a distant alcoholic on his brother's autobiography. Oh, and also made responsible for Dennis' death.

That Brian had no interest in working with O'Hagan is made clear even by O'Hagan's account... even if he didn't realise it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 12:15:49 AM »

I think Jellyfish at one point was suppose to do stuff with him too, but that didn't work out either.
He did some work with one of those guys. Manning? I forget whom. Probably something that ended up on a Ringo Starr album or something...

The song Manning and Brian worked on ended up as 'Wish it would rain' on Mannings first album, read about it here under July 1993;

http://smileysmile.net/OLDlibrary/timeline.html

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »

In defence of Carl...

I think it's far too simplistic to compare Carl agreeing to perform on Summer in Paradise and yet not following through with the Paley sessions. I'm sure that SIP required very little emotional involvement from Carl and he could just turn up, record his vocals and forget about it. To have Brian so involved again would be a very different proposition though and Bruce's statement that the sessions were, 'underwhelming in every way' indicates that it certainly wasn't just about the quality of the songs. It certainly doesn't seem like Brian was in the best state at this point judging by the comments of O'Hagan and Rick Parfitt.

Carl turning down the idea of a Pet Sounds concert makes sense too. Carl had seen Brian have some terrible moments on stage (not just with the BBs but also solo) and would understandably be worried about him. A couple of years later Brian was still clearly nervous about performing so the idea of forcing him out on stage every night in front of several thousand people was bound to cause concern.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »

Im a HUGE Jellyfish fan and the song that Roger from Jellyfish wrote for/with Brian is called "Wish It Would Rain."

Here it is from Roger's first solo record.

http://www.last.fm/music/Roger+Joseph+Manning+Jr./_/Wish+It+Would+Rain

If you haven't heard Jellyfish's "Spilt Milk" LP then you need to buy it IMMEDIATELY. It's up there with Pet Sounds IMO.

Also, dunno if anyone's seen this pic of Brian, Andy, and songwriter Mike Viola (another modern pop genius - his album Lurch is fantastic) in the studio.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »

Never seen that picture before, neat! Did Viola oversee the same meeting/sorta-sessions discussed above or was this for an entirely new project sometime else?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it now - Sean O'Hagan comes off as something of a weasel in this article. Of course I am happy he spilled the beans so I could read about it, but it is a very unprofessional thing to do, especially so close to  the time that the abortive collaboration would have happened.

I own several High Llamas albums and they are very good but there is a strong element of pastiche - hence Brian's "doing things I did thirty years ago" remark. O'Hagan's work with Stereolab is excellent. Had it happened, his work with Brian probably would have resulted in some good material.

The problem with it, however, is that like someone else said up-thread, Brian's people worked to pair him with collaborators who would make him sound 'more like Brian Wilson.' His best songwriting collaborators have always been the ones who added their own feel and flavor to what he does. Scott Bennett fits this mold nicely.

It's pretty amazing that Brian's camp was considering collaborating with Sean O'Hagan at the same time that Joe Thomas was courting him. Two diametric opposites.

After Imagination, Thomas must have had a rude awakening, since he and Brian bought houses next door to each other and everything. When was the last time Mr. Thomas worked with Brian Wilson?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:47:42 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 01:20:42 AM »

I'd like to make a case for the High Llamas' 'Lollo Rosso' here. It is a remix album, and much less derivative then their other output. Very creative, happy and rhythmic. It features people like Cornelius and Mouse On Mars. There are definitely elements of 'Diamond Head' and 'Little Pad' in there. It came at mid- or budget price, but my latest investigation told me that it is out of print.

Highly recommended to all Brianistas.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »

Amazing that Carl (or Mike-Bruce-Al) would consider Sean O'Hagan, unknown to the mainstream U.S. pop audience, as a potenitally more commercial option than Don Was, who at the time was undoubtedly the most successful American record producer around. 

Was got Brian together with both Jellyfish guys (according to him) around 1992-93. 

I wasn't aware that the "Wish It Rain" song ever saw release, so thanks for the tip!  Was Brian credited on it?
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

Dunno if Viola actually wrote anything with him. I'll ask him next time I'm at one of his shows.

BW didn't get credit on the Roger song as the parts BW wrote for it were never used in the final version - so it's just Roger's song at this point. He BROUGHT it to BW to use (it wasn't obv).
GREAT song though.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

Was doesn't come across well here either. I read somewhere he boasted about 'collecting' the 60s biggies - Bob, The Stones and BW... An opportunist, to be sure.  O'Hagan comes across as a major fan.  I can see why he might have felt he could've appealed to Brian's avant garde side.  Perhaps he wasn't aware that was long gone.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread how everyone involved had their own agenda...a quick recap might be:

Brian's agenda was to produce the Beach Boys again...on his terms

The Beach Boys' agenda was to have another hit record; Capitol was willing to offer them a deal, provided Brian was involved, but the Beach Boys (or at least Carl) didn't trust Brian's judgement enough to allow him sole producer's rights

Brian would only share the producer's role with someone he felt comfortable with, such as Andy Paley and/or Don Was...and he was ready to do it now

Mike's agenda was to have Brian accept him again as a songwriting partner; he was willing to record the new songs Brian was writing with Andy, but only if he was allowed creative input in the majority of them

The Beach Boys decided to model their reunion with Brian after the Eagles' template:  first do an album with country artists singing their old songs to whet the public's appetite (in the BBs' case, they planned two such albums); to that end, they brought in Joe Thomas to co-produce that effort with Brian, possibly hoping that Thomas could then shepherd them through a commerical-sounding album of new songs with Brian that Capitol would be willing to market

Joe Thomas' agenda was to work with Brian on an album of new songs, either with the Beach Boys or with Brian solo (a Brian-produced Beach Boys album would undoubtedly be a bigger commercial success than a Brian solo effort, but Thomas was willing to take whichever he could get)

Richard Branson/Virgin's agenda was to sign The Beach Boys to V2, get Brian and Mike writing together again, and have a successful record (both artistically and commerically); knowing that the other Beach Boys wanted a solid co-producer working with Brian, they suggested Sean O'Hagan, whose Brian-influenced band the High Llamas were already signed to Virgin

Virign's offer was much more enticting than any deal they could get from Capitol, so the other Beach Boys were willing to work with whomever Virgin suggested

Sean O'Hagan's agenda was to work with Brian and move the Beach Boys' back to the artistic mindset of their "Holland" era

Brian (and his "people"), hurt by the Beach Boys' earlier rejection of his offer to produce them and their subsequent decison to delay an album of new songs in favor of "Stars and Stripes", and uninterested in a colloboration with Sean O'Hagan, decided to now make the Beach Boys wait by first moving forward on a solo album

Melinda's agenda was for Brian to have a hit (meaning "commerical-sounding") record, so she facilitated the partnership between Brian and Joe Thomas

In the end, everyone lost:  Brian's new album achieved only minor commercial success, the offer from Virgin expired, Carl got sick with cancer and passed away (thereby ending any desire on Brian's part to ever work with the Beach Boys in the studio again), and the fans were deprived of a potentially great final Beach Boys album full of new Brian Wilson-Andy Paley songs such as "Soul Searchin'", "Still A Mystery", and "Desert Drive".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:02:49 PM by c-man » Logged
SG7
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »

Im a HUGE Jellyfish fan and the song that Roger from Jellyfish wrote for/with Brian is called "Wish It Would Rain."

Here it is from Roger's first solo record.

http://www.last.fm/music/Roger+Joseph+Manning+Jr./_/Wish+It+Would+Rain

If you haven't heard Jellyfish's "Spilt Milk" LP then you need to buy it IMMEDIATELY. It's up there with Pet Sounds IMO.

Also, dunno if anyone's seen this pic of Brian, Andy, and songwriter Mike Viola (another modern pop genius - his album Lurch is fantastic) in the studio.

Wow great picture! I love Andy's stuff too. I really love the work he did with Puffy Amiyumi!!! I was not aware of Mike Viola being involved with Brian? He's great too. He was (or is) in a band called the Candybutchers. Fun stuff to listen to!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »

C-Man -- Thank you. That seems to sum it up perfectly. A post for the ages.

And, of course, everyone likes to say Brian is manipulated in this situation, but it's pretty clear (in retrospect) what he wanted to do. You stated it. The Boys didn't want to do it.

And, for that matter, I think Brian got a bit swept up with the idea of doing an adult contemporary record, at least for a time. Several (but not all) of the Imagination tracks worked in that style. It's certainly worth noting that his subsequent original projects (TLOS, BWRG) have serious MOR elements. It was not as foreign to him as it might have seemed.

That being said, it was a hard turn from the Paley sessions aesthetic. And he's managed to navigate between those extremes more successfully with the band.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »

And, for that matter, I think Brian got a bit swept up with the idea of doing an adult contemporary record, at least for a time.

Does Brian really think that way, though?  I can't imagine him being calculated enough to consciously fit his sound into a particular genre. 

You may be right of course, but I'm betting it was more a matter of Melinda and Joe cooking up the idea that this was a good direction for Brian to go in, and BW just said "Great!" and ate some more ice cream.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »

I think he was excited about the prospect hits, absolutely. His folks told him AC was a way to do it.

He's talking in the Uncut article -- mentioned at the start of this thread -- about having a number one hit. Talking the boys all the way to the top!

That kind of competitive spirit was in the air for him at the time. Thomas talked about it in interviews. And Brian had to have realized at some level that if he couldn't do it with the Beach Boys, he might have to take a different tack. True, it was an easy direction to take -- a sympathetic producer was on hand, his wife liked Kenny G -- why not? It would been entirely unlike Brian, having reached this point, to say, "Forget you, Joe Thomas. I'm going back to cut a solo album from material I was really planning on using with the Beach Boys."

I do think in retrospect he probably doesn't like the direction as much, simply because it's very far from his signature sound (not all of the album, but certainly a third of the cuts or so). If it had produced hits, I think he may have liked it more. I mean, the man is still bummed he didn't sing on Kokomo -- he sees response to the music as utterly justifying the means.

Edit --

And it's clear that in the two years or so that happened after this, things took a turn (like usual in BW land) toward the worse. He seems to have lost some enthusiasm for Imagination as it went on (he was producing initial demos and early mixes, for instance -- this seems to have petered out as JT piled on the guitar flourishes and sonic smoothing), and there were record company problems. He had to re-record some lead vocals, apparently, after they were decreed "not good enough." And the initial efforts to perform the album live were awkward.

But I think at the start of the process -- and at times during the record's creation -- this was a project Brian cared about and took seriously. And his vocal arrangements are perhaps the best of his solo career -- intricate and soaring, lush and lulling throughout.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:48:12 PM by Wirestone » Logged
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »

Lovely post Wirestone!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:07 AM »

Granted, it's not a situation Brian was comfortable in (camera, lights, strangers), but the Imagination DVD St. Charles studio segments are most informative. The only time he really seems to come alive is when he's halfway out of the door to catch a plane to LA. Factor in the outtakes and... well.

Brian has, and always has had, a limited attention span: he gets bored very easily, moves on quickly.  Back in the early/mid 60s, he had the energy - and the industry was so configured - to turn out product like a sausage machine. And he did. Smile was the first mis-step in this - he took his time, because he thought he could, but somehow it didn't gel. Smiley, Honey & Friends gelled because they were short, sharp projects, but by 20/20 it was taking months as opposed to weeks to do an album, and Brian's initial enthusiasm waned quickly. Spring turned into a Sandler/Desper/Wilson (M.)/Rovell project. And so on.

The other factor to consider about Brian is his almost pathological desire to please people. When the Imagination project commenced, he'd been married to Melinda for less than two years. Of course he's going to nod when she suggested an AC direction. Brian's credo post-Smile has been almost monastic in its spartan simplicity: the path of least resistance... unless it's something he really wants to do, or that engages him. There haven't been many, but the Gershwin project is one such.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

Great point on the short bursts of activity, AGD. And if the bipolar diagnosis for BW is correct, it makes a lot of sense. Brian can create almost effortlessly in a manic phase, but once he crashes, it's hard for him to care about or do anything.

As for the path of least resistance post-66 -- the history is pretty self evident. But Carlin's book makes a good point of showing how Brian can subtly manipulate folks around him into clearing a path of least resistance for him to follow. He latches into tough people to make decisions and choices he's not willing to make himself. Then they "talk him into things." Well, that's one of the reasons he loves (and hates) these people -- Murry, Gene, Melinda -- they force him to act.

As for the people pleasing -- that's one of the most heart-rending scenes of IJWMFTT -- watching Audree so hesitantly yet accurately diagnose what makes Brian both wonderful and frustrating.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »

Carlin's book makes a good point of showing how Brian can subtly manipulate folks around him into clearing a path of least resistance for him to follow. He latches into tough people to make decisions and choices he's not willing to make himself. Then they "talk him into things."

Interesting.  Will need to go back and read Carlin again.  BW does seem to have a knack for getting involved with people who tell him what to do and how to do it.  Very frustrating for fans, but perhaps that's the way he likes it(?).

"Jeff, you care." --BW
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx