gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681341 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 01:29:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Leila Revelation"  (Read 67262 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

I don't find it too hard to believe that the Dennis chant is exactly as they wanted it to sound on the recording.

Agreed! Just listened to it one more time and I see no problem at all with Dennis' lines.

The low mixing does cloud the lyrics, obviously, but at the same time it adds to the overall pulse and drone of the track, similar to any "wall of sound" producer or arranger adding a part which is meant to be felt or perceived by the listener rather than mixed right up in your face.I think the part adds a very cool drone, a weird sort of pulse to the track that could remind you of riding on a train or driving a truck, at that stage where the sound of the wheels hypnotizes you just enough to either doze off or wake up.

Much like that drone in "Be With Me" and "Never Learn Not To Love", which were also recorded in 1968?  Grin  And to a certain extent in "Celebrate The News"?  Sounds like the same Dennis in the "Truck" lyrics.

I'm sticking with 1966 as the year the Truck Drivin part was recorded until further proof, but I still find it odd that nearly every CE vocal tracked in 1966 (which we have audio proof of) seems to have been logged by Oppenheim and his camera crew except Dennis' part. And obviously, no lead vocal.

I'm leaning towards 1966 too, but I don't rule out 1968 based on the reasoning above. I wonder if Desper remembers. Surprised Brian doesn't remember. I really am.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:55:52 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »

I would think there would have had to be a demo or a rough guide vocal...at the very least...of the melody because Brian's instrumental arrangement traces and/or outlines the vocal melody throughout the verse. As an arranger, you wouldn't write counterlines and countermelodies without having an idea of the melody. And you wouldn't have this melody without lyrics.

The interesting information on the song came from Vosse's article where he said Dennis was originally in mind for the lead vocal as the song was conceived. How that ties into the lack of a lead vocal *which we are aware of* on these tracks is up for discussion. Maybe Dennis tried a lead and couldn't deliver, yet the Truck Drivin Man part worked better for that section, as if he were the narrator all along.

And didn't Carl also say they got the phrasing and flow of the melody from the parts of the arrangement which doubled and countered it? I get the impression Brian wasn't involved much if at all with the tune in '68.

Has Desper addressed this anywhere, how much Brian was involved with CE in '68?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:05 PM »

The sad thing is, we can't ask Brian, because last I read (sometime around BWPS), he didn't even remember that they were there on the original.  He thought it was something Dennis added on his own, which obviously isn't the case.

Not sure it's obvious. If the "Truck" lyrics were added in 1968, Brian probably wasn't involved and unaware of it, thus supporting the notion that he didn't remember it and they were added post 1966.

The reason I say "obvious" is because at that point in time, none of the other band members were capable of coming up with such a perfect arrangement touch like that on their own.  The fact that Brian doesn't remember it is irrelevant - this is the same guy who also said that he'd never recorded "White Christmas."  I'd bet my bottom dollar that Truck Drivin' man is a '66 addition, and I think the upcoming box set will back this position up.

I agree with guitarfool's earlier post - the vocal was never intended to be heard in isolation, so the fact that it's imperfect when heard alone doesn't mean much.  It's not a matter of "Brian letting it go," it's more that the part works in the context of the arrangement, and serves its purpose of being felt and not necessarily heard clearly.  It's similar to some of Brian's single-tracked vocals - they don't sound great on their own (think "You Still Believe In Me" from the PS box), but he knew it didn't matter because the doubling would smooth it out.

I'd love to know more about how involved Brian was in the '68 completion as well.  As I said before, given that he wanted nothing to do with "Surf's Up," I can't imagine him volunteering his assistance with "Cabinessence," but we all know that Brian's actions aren't always logically consistent.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »

I'd bet my bottom dollar that Truck Drivin' man is a '66 addition, and I think the upcoming box set will back this position up.

I accept the bet - shall we say... oh, just to make it worthwhile, $1,000 ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »

I'd bet my bottom dollar that Truck Drivin' man is a '66 addition, and I think the upcoming box set will back this position up.

I accept the bet - shall we say... oh, just to make it worthwhile, $1,000 ?

Maybe next time Andrew...shows what I get for assuming!  I'm glad the box will shed some light on this once and for all, even if it still doesn't quite compute for me.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »

The fact that Brian doesn't remember it is irrelevant - this is the same guy who also said that he'd never recorded "White Christmas."  I'd bet my bottom dollar that Truck Drivin' man is a '66 addition, and I think the upcoming box set will back this position up.

I disagree. I of course think that Brian's memory is very relevant at this point, based on the lack of clear evidence to support when the Truck Drivin' Man lyrics and lead vocal was recorded. Carl is gone, Dennis is gone, so that leaves Brian and Desper and/or written notes. I don't think Brian's memory is shot. Far from it. He surprisingly remembers quite a few things - a good amount of things, especially if he's prompted and in a good mood and off the meds during interviews. Some B.S. in articles to be sure, but I've seen a good amount of detail that he does remember. I think he chooses not to remember much of the Smile era because of bad feelings, but we'll see what he can recount for the Priore book coming up.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »

The fact that Brian doesn't remember it is irrelevant - this is the same guy who also said that he'd never recorded "White Christmas."  I'd bet my bottom dollar that Truck Drivin' man is a '66 addition, and I think the upcoming box set will back this position up.

I disagree. I of course think that Brian's memory is very relevant at this point, based on the lack of clear evidence to support when the Truck Drivin' Man lyrics and lead vocal was recorded. Carl is gone, Dennis is gone, so that leaves Brian and Desper and/or written notes. I don't think Brian's memory is shot. Far from it. He surprisingly remembers quite a few things - a good amount of things, especially if he's prompted and in a good mood and off the meds during interviews. Some B.S. in articles to be sure, but I've seen a good amount of detail that he does remember. I think he chooses not to remember much of the Smile era because of bad feelings, but we'll see what he can recount for the Priore book coming up.

Fair point, he does have impressive recall at times, especially for musical details.  You can understand my skepticism given some of the things he's said over the years, but given what Andrew has said maybe you're right and there's a reason he doesn't remember it.

Watch, next Andrew is going to tell me that Van Dyke didn't write those lyrics and my world is really going to be turned on it's ear.   Shocked
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

but we'll see what he can recount for the Priore book coming up.

I missed that one - Dom's got a new book coming out ?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

The SMiLE sessions one?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »

but we'll see what he can recount for the Priore book coming up.
I missed that one - Dom's got a new book coming out ?

You missed it??  Andrew Doe missed something???  C'moooooon, man, isn't Priore involved with writing the book that's suppose to accompany the new Smile Sessions box set? Or am I the one that's missing something?

How 'booooouuuut "involved" or "contributing" to the new book (or booklet) as it were.

Howsat?  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »

Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that one.

Dom's contributed an essay, not written the whole book, as has been reported elsewhere.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »

Off topic. I'm home from work this week and watching TV a little bit. Carnie Wilson is filling in for someone on the show called "The Talk", which is on during the afternoon on the Pacific (left) coast. She's doing pretty good and garnering quite a bit of applause and laughter. Only one "F" bomb so far that was bleeped. Man, she gained a TON of weight back, the poor girl. Watching the audience to see if Marilyn or Diane are there....she referred to Marilyn already on the subject of applying make-up.

Sorry. Back on topic.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:23:27 PM by Mikie » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »

Off topic. I'm home from work this week and watching TV a little bit. Carnie Wilson is filling in for someone on the show called "The Talk", which is on during the afternoon on the Pacific (left coast). She's doing pretty good and garnering quite a bit of applause and laughter. Watching the audience to see if Marilyn or Diane is there....

Sorry. Back on topic.

thanks for the heads up I am going to try and 'bate to this. Its on right now!!!

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »

thanks for the heads up I am going to try and 'bate to this…

You're gonna what?  This is PJ over again!

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »

thanks for the heads up I am going to try and 'bate to this…

You're gonna what?  This is PJ over again!
Ghost tried to post her playboy pictures here as well. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »

Oh no Carnie is talking about taking laxatives at fat camp. Oh my. This isnt going well.

No mas, por favor.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »

Oh no Carnie is talking about taking laxatives at fat camp. Oh my. This isnt going well.

Thanks for the update on your progress.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »

Carnie is awesome, she has the total honesty of Brian. Carnie should have a talk show with Brian directing the house band to play "be my baby", "ding Dang", and "short. bread"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:35:58 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »

Carnie is awesome, she has the total honesty of Brian. Carnie should have a talk show with Brian directing the house band to play "be my baby", "ding Dang", and "short. bread"

She seems like a fun person. Her and Wendy should get a show. Unless they still make music.

No mas, por favor.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

They're still making music. Wilson/Phillips is working on a new CD - a tribute to their parents.

Hey, who in the Hell derailed this thread, eh?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:51:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

theCOD
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »

Thanks for the update on your progress.

LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »

They're still making music. Wilson/Phillips is working on a new CD - a tribute to their parents.

Hey, who in the Hell derailed this thread, eh?

Er, nobody  Grin

This Cabin Essence discussion is a fine, fine thing, btw. Not that I have jack sh*t to contribute, but it's a nice read  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »

I know Jack Schitt. He's a close, personal friend of mine. Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt and O. Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Knee-deep Schitt, Inc. Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt and they had 6 children: Holie Schitt, The twins; Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt and Bull Schitt. Jack and Noe divorced. Noe later married Mr. Sherlock and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was known as Noe Schitt-Sherlock. Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they had Chicken Schitt. Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony. The Schitt-Happens children are Dawg, Byrd and Horse. Bull Schitt left home to tour the world. He recently returned with his new bride, Pisa Schitt.

OK, 'nuff trolling! What was this thread about again?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

Actually, I don't think I know anymore  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »

Never EVER give Mikie a week off.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx