gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:45:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86152 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »

OK I just put on the 45 to hear what exactly was done to the tracks. Cabinessence is as mentioned a mono mix. I'm leaning towards either a right only or left only channel fold-down to mono as it doesn't exhibit the electronic double tracking effect you hear if you do a fold-down mix to mono of the 20/20 version (or on the stereo 20/20 track if you simply play it as is on the album in stereo). There is no discernable addition on or processing of the track other than what is mentioned above.

Wonderful is the cleanest, non-muddiest mix I have heard of the Brian falsetto version. As AGD mentioned there is the "yodle-le-hi-hu" backing vox addition. Other than that the track is the same as the box set version. There were no hidden snippets in the roll.out grooves (at least none before my auto-retract arm mechansim kicked in).

Regarding the articles, I'll agree with everyone else - while they might be great for reeling in new listeners, there were a number of glaring errors which seem to reflect the hurried manner in which they were edited together.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »

went to Barnes and Noble, but the shelves were filled with the old issue.  Said they get deliveries on Monday and Thursday, and maybe it would be in there.
But really the guy seemed less than bright, so it's anyone's guess when a new MOJO may show up here.  
So, I went again today, and they have a new MOJO issue, but NO 60's special; and of course they're less than knowledgable as to whether they'll even be getting copies. Called Borders and they offered much the same info. "Good Luck!" she said. 

So I wonder where usens in the USA can buy it...( if at all, other than mail-order) 

I do expect to see it in Borders and Barnes & Noble, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't show up in those stores for another 3 or 4 weeks.  At this point, though, I'm not sure I still care very much.  From all accounts, the issue is a disappointment, and the Cab/Wonderful 45 is pretty much the only reason to bother with it.  The 45 is a nice collectible, and I might grab one if I see it.  If not, the same tracks will undoubtedly be on our forthcoming CDs.

well, yeah; the only reason I want it is for the 45! I can tell I've already read all I need to from the issue.  
I wonder if the recordings will actually be on the Smile Sessions when it finally hits the stores...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

It says right on the yellow 45 "From the forthcoming Capitol release "The Smile Sessions"". I would tend to think both will be on one of the discs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

OK I just put on the 45 to hear what exactly was done to the tracks. Cabinessence is as mentioned a mono mix. I'm leaning towards either a right only or left only channel fold-down to mono as it doesn't exhibit the electronic double tracking effect you hear if you do a fold-down mix to mono of the 20/20 version (or on the stereo 20/20 track if you simply play it as is on the album in stereo). There is no discernable addition on or processing of the track other than what is mentioned above.

Have you compared Mike's "over and over" vocals on the MOJO single to the same vocals on the 20/20 version -- ANY of them, whether the stereo mix, a straight fold-down, or a left/right extraction? There is absolutely SOMETHING discernable going on there...

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »

It says right on the yellow 45 "From the forthcoming Capitol release "The Smile Sessions"". I would tend to think both will be on one of the discs.

... or might be one of the 45s in the box.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »

I probably need to go back and refresh my memory as to what they're planning to be included; it seems like thousands of posts ago...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

Have you compared Mike's "over and over" vocals on the MOJO single to the same vocals on the 20/20 version -- ANY of them, whether the stereo mix, a straight fold-down, or a left/right extraction? There is absolutely SOMETHING discernable going on there...

I did notice it being clearly from a different session (ie 66 rather than 68 vintage), but any major remixing - no. To these ears it just sounds less cluttered due to the missing ADT effect.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

Since you've mentioned it, Andrew -- do you have any clue what IS going to be on the "bonus" vinyl singles in the box set? Any chance it will be the RSD 78? Because I've still got mine sealed, in case I'm going to get the same thing in the box....

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: June 16, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

Since you've mentioned it, Andrew -- do you have any clue what IS going to be on the "bonus" vinyl singles in the box set? Any chance it will be the RSD 78? Because I've still got mine sealed, in case I'm going to get the same thing in the box....

That might be the other 45.

Truthfully, I have no idea.

manmancer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »

I know I'm late to the party. Majorly. But if someone could help me out on that front, I'd greatly appreciate it. Turntable-less.:-(
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »

Love the inscription on the run-out groove on the single " this doesn't have to be perfect "

Just noticed that that's on Side A. On Side B, there's ' "It just has to be honest" - BW '   Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 17, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »

Been looking for the Mojo special everywhere in Dublin but nobody has it yet so I caved and bought a copy on eBay..

The seller seems to be making a bomb from them, 10 copies selling out everyday

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »

Been looking for the Mojo special everywhere in Dublin but nobody has it yet so I caved and bought a copy on eBay..

The seller seems to be making a bomb from them, 10 copies selling out everyday

It can also be ordered direct from Mojo:  http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/06/smile_its_mojo_60s.html
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »

I suppose that much of the production of it at least was finished in 1971. Apparently Brian came up with 'A childeren's song, won't you listen as they play...' on the spot.

He was said to have presented it, not came up with it. No real way to know if it's from 66/67 or if it's from 71.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:31:09 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »

Wonderful is the cleanest, non-muddiest mix I have heard of the Brian falsetto version. As AGD mentioned there is the "yodle-le-hi-hu" backing vox addition. Other than that the track is the same as the box set version. There were no hidden snippets in the roll.out grooves (at least none before my auto-retract arm mechansim kicked in).

Anyone else think the backing vocals on this mix are ridiculously loud?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

Yep, me.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »

Could somebody Put Me in the position to be able to hear the new "Wonderful" and "Cabin Essence" mixes?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

Refuse to listen to new Wonderful till box set comes out, but if indeed it is more audible than every other mashed up version I heard, I will be in 7th heaven...too loud or not.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »

Am I the only one who does not want to hear any of this stuff until the whole package is released?  I haven't listened to any Smile music since the announcement was made, because I want to be as blown away as is possible when I put CD1 into my player and hit |>.  

Lost Art I am totally with ya...this is going to kick such ass when it is released.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »

Refuse to listen to new Wonderful till box set comes out, but if indeed it is more audible than every other mashed up version I heard, I will be in 7th heaven...too loud or not.

They're *too* loud, though. I mean it's an interesting listen, but if this is the mix intended for the best-they-can-do-with-what-they-have "album", then it's a tad disappointing.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »

They're *too* loud, though. I mean it's an interesting listen, but if this is the mix intended for the best-they-can-do-with-what-they-have "album", then it's a tad disappointing.

Ugh, I can hardly wait for criticism like this to inundate us after the box set is released.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:10:28 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »

Z-share sucks. It won't work for me....anybody wanna send something in the PM not thru z-share?
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 19, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

[/quote]

Agree! Strange mix indeed. What if the box set comes out and we all go: "oh nooooo"... Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: June 19, 2011, 02:55:50 AM »

Agree! Strange mix indeed. What if the box set comes out and we all go: "oh nooooo"... Grin
[/quote]

No one noticed that the lead, in fact the whole song, is also louder ?  It's a new mastering job, not a mix as is commonly understood. The 1993 box set version sounds lo-fi compared to this.

Still, I'm sure when Mark reads this - and he will - your 'comments' will be taken on board and duly processed.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:57:56 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2011, 03:57:08 AM »

No one noticed that the lead, in fact the whole song, is also louder ?  It's a new mastering job, not a mix as is commonly understood. The 1993 box set version sounds lo-fi compared to this.

Still, I'm sure when Mark reads this - and he will - your 'comments' will be taken on board and duly processed.  Roll Eyes
[/quote]

Then I hope that Mark does NOT read this forum. Because by sheer logic, on can deduce that the box will never see the light of day, what with all us grumpy, complaining, obsessive 'to each his own' types. It's simply never right with us. If push came to shove, we'd be able to get all BBs stuff taken from the market altogether, for 'extended revision for ever'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx