gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681486 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 11:47:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86857 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2011, 02:32:42 AM »

Some of the article is glaringly inaccurate however, they seem to think Surf's Up was written after SMiLE was abandoned.

Mike's interview is full of revisionism as well. Now my opinion of Mike-has softened in recent years, (I was taken in by the Hate Mike Love campaign in the early 90's), but Mike, just admit it, you didn't like it, you didn't want change. There's nothing wrong with that, it's understandable. We empathise Mike.....we really do, but be truthful. Don't go down Elton's route, don't have a hair transplant. Be true to yourself. We know you named Pet Sounds, but we know you hate SMiLE
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »

Some of the article is glaringly inaccurate however, they seem to think Surf's Up was written after SMiLE was abandoned.

Given the author, if that's the biggest error I'd be surprised.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:05 AM »

Elton wears a wig.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 15, 2011, 03:13:58 AM »

Fair enough there are factual errors, but less in the actual interviews one would hope unless the interviewer is maliciously misquoting.

A new quote from Al saying GV was to be Smile's lead off single is definitely note-worthy, no?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 15, 2011, 03:32:23 AM »

A new quote from Al saying GV was to be Smile's lead off single is definitely note-worthy, no?

Doesn't lead-off single just mean the first single released from the album?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 15, 2011, 03:35:03 AM »

Doesn't lead-off single just mean the first single released from the album?

Oh is that true? Where's the 'deflated' Smiley when you need one?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 15, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »

I always thought it'd be slotted on Side 2, track 1, like they do with some singles.

*cue 2 pages of tracklist discussions*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »

I always thought it'd be slotted on Side 2, track 1, like they do with some singles.

Well I think this is the general consensus, backed up by its position in that slot on Smiley. I think the other argument against GV filling the side A track 1 slot is that by the time of Smile's release GV would've been older news.

However, I hear no better track to follow Our Prayer with, and so, at the time of that OP session where Brian describes it as a little opener to the album, I think he was intending GV as the lead track.

I also think (contrary to those that find it at odds with Smile) it is an excellent introduction to the Smile album: It's still grounded grounded in reality with its familiar r&b/doo wop hooks and boy/girl theme, but there's a sense of passing through the looking glass as the tune shifts into its various psychedelic phases, setting the scene for the weirder songs to follow ...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:47 AM »

Well I think this is the general consensus, backed up by its position in that slot on Smiley. I think the other argument against GV filling the side A track 1 slot is that by the time of Smile's release GV would've been older news.

However, I hear no better track to follow Our Prayer with, and so, at the time of that OP session where Brian describes it as a little opener to the album, I think he was intending GV as the lead track.

I also think (contrary to those that find it at odds with Smile) it is an excellent introduction to the Smile album: It's still grounded grounded in reality with its familiar r&b/doo wop hooks and boy/girl theme, but there's a sense of passing through the looking glass as the tune shifts into its various psychedelic phases, setting the scene for the weirder songs to follow ...

If you consider the original planned release, January 1967, GV wouldn't have been that old, only being available on Single for 3 months. That wouold certainly have been relatively timely.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2011, 06:33:07 AM »

Having heard the MOJO versions, i can't possibly top what's been said about Cabinessence, but I don't really hear much of a difference except in Carl's (lack of) ADT. Mike's lead doesn't seem louder, Dennis' bit doesn't really seem louder. Crisper perhaps. But i'll bear in mind i've only heard mp3s. Carl and Mike do sing their butts off though, i'll give them that.

As for Wonderful, I have a"friend of a friend" who has a version of Wonderful with the yodelling bvs but minus Brian's lead.

So... was "my friend's" version made by stripping Brian's lead from the tape (don't get technical on me), in the same way that we have multiple SOT versions of H&V with the vocal takes seemingly being "layered up"? Or have ML and AB created a new "kitchen sink" mix by flying in some bvs from a different take (a la Beatles Anthology? of which I am a big fan, despite others' opinions on the matter).

Or is it something else entirely?

I guess these mixes will be on the Box Set, but it looks like MOJO weren't granted permission to have some of the really revelatory stuff...just a couple of the "barely tweaked" versions to generate some fanbase excitement/discussion. Job done.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »

Got my Mojo today. Plenty of copies in Staines. Now what to do with the 45 as I've got no record player anyone wanna Please Me on hearing it would be great cheers.   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »

If you consider the original planned release, January 1967, GV wouldn't have been that old, only being available on Single for 3 months. That wouold certainly have been relatively timely.

January 1967 was the second release date: original plan was for the Christmas market.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »

January 1967 was the second release date: original plan was for the Christmas market.
Well, there you go, then! The Christmas market would be November into December, with ads starting in October, so it should have been timed for an almost simultaneous release of the 45 and LP. And it fits the sound perfectly. 

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 15, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »

Well, there you go, then! The Christmas market would be November into December, with ads starting in October, so it should have been timed for an almost simultaneous release of the 45 and LP. And it fits the sound perfectly. 

I don't think GV sounds at odds with the rest of Smile, but i don't see it as an album opener. I see it as leading off Side 2 in the way that Sloop John B does on Pet Sounds.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »

I suppose that much of the production of it at least was finished in 1971. Apparently Brian came up with 'A childeren's song, won't you listen as they play...' on the spot. Did he remember something from 1967? If not, could that be considered finishing the song? What about Cabinessence? Some words and vocals were added in the backround in 1969. Or at least recorded.

Perhaps, the fact that they mixed recordings from the original Smile sessions with recordings from 69/71, that it could be considered finishig the song. Then there is Cool Cool Water which has never been thought of as a Smile song, only adding to a Smile section.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

I don't think GV sounds at odds with the rest of Smile, but i don't see it as an album opener. I see it as leading off Side 2 in the way that Sloop John B does on Pet Sounds.

Except God Only Knows kicks off side two of PS..... Sloop John B is the last song on side 1!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »

Except God Only Knows kicks off side two of PS..... Sloop John B is the last song on side 1!

Dammit, I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »

Well, finally got mine today in Bath-I should've brought the record player into work!!

There were about another 8 copies left so if there's anyone on here in the UK who can't find it and have a Paypal account, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

went to Barnes and Noble, but the shelves were filled with the old issue.  Said they get deliveries on Monday and Thursday, and maybe it would be in there.
But really the guy seemed less than bright, so it's anyone's guess when a new MOJO may show up here.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:27:17 PM by bgas » Logged

mjd180
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Just to reiterate/expand upon what somebody else said. The phrase "lead-off single", in reference to an album, is just the primary 45/A-side that promotes the initial release of the album. It has got absolutely nothing to do with the track order on an LP. Back in the 'Smile' days these would be released just before, or on the same day as the LP. Sometimes they would be originals not on the album they were promoting (UK). Other times they were either just the same recording found on the LP, or a different edit/take/mix of said song (US).

For a long time now, however, it hasn't been unusual for the "lead single" of an album to be released as early as 3 months before the album...
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »

GV is the opening track on my SMiLE mix... if it needs to be included at all.

It's obviously a strong track to open with, you get it out of the way, and Our Prayer sounds heavenly coming after it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2011, 04:15:26 AM »

Am I the only one who does not want to hear any of this stuff until the whole package is released?  I haven't listened to any Smile music since the announcement was made, because I want to be as blown away as is possible when I put CD1 into my player and hit |>.  

I'm with you to a point. I stopped listening to Smile stuff shortly after the announcement (in March?).

Then I reasoned with myself that BWPS wasn't actually the original sessions and was therefore fair game to listen to.

Now with these two tracks I had no choice but to listen as they are technically part of the boxset release!

However I'm finding they're all I listen to and I'm in danger of burning them out already so maybe back to the Smile ban for me*

*except BWPS (see above)

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: June 16, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »

I can't get it out of my head how these reported mistakes and inaccurate bits of information managed to make it to this magazine and into readers' hands without someone editing the content.

Not to take it out on everyone involved because I have not seen it with my own eyes, but I've seen some of the most passionate, accurate, and informative writing on Smile and the Smile-era in general offered for free, coming from authors and writers (pro, semi-pro, and amateur) whose connection to the music is more honest than those hired to write columns full of factual errors and historical blunders. Mistakes happen, sure, and everyone is human, but it is hard to top some of the writing I have seen posted online. That is a testament to the devotion and knowledge of those fans who have added more to the Smile legacy than some people would give them credit.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »

went to Barnes and Noble, but the shelves were filled with the old issue.  Said they get deliveries on Monday and Thursday, and maybe it would be in there.
But really the guy seemed less than bright, so it's anyone's guess when a new MOJO may show up here.  
So, I went again today, and they have a new MOJO issue, but NO 60's special; and of course they're less than knowledgable as to whether they'll even be getting copies. Called Borders and they offered much the same info. "Good Luck!" she said. 

So I wonder where usens in the USA can buy it...( if at all, other than mail-order) 

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 16, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »

So, I went again today, and they have a new MOJO issue, but NO 60's special; and of course they're less than knowledgable as to whether they'll even be getting copies. Called Borders and they offered much the same info. "Good Luck!" she said. 

So I wonder where usens in the USA can buy it...( if at all, other than mail-order) 

I do expect to see it in Borders and Barnes & Noble, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't show up in those stores for another 3 or 4 weeks.  At this point, though, I'm not sure I still care very much.  From all accounts, the issue is a disappointment, and the Cab/Wonderful 45 is pretty much the only reason to bother with it.  The 45 is a nice collectible, and I might grab one if I see it.  If not, the same tracks will undoubtedly be on our forthcoming CDs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx