gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:22:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some early facts and gifts from Smile Sessions  (Read 48387 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »

From Big0:

MOJO DUST
Mojo '60s is a 132-page deluxe magazine from the publisher's of Mojo, celebrating the 1960s. The cover story is the Beach Boys' Smile album which EMI/Capitol have promised to release soon. Other stories cover the usual Mojo suspects The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the diary of a mod girl, The Rolling Stones, the moon landing and more. What's special is the 7-inch single that is an exclusive official Beach Boys single in 'summer' yellow vinyl. Capitol have designed the sleeve and the lacquers were manufactured at Abbey Road. The single features: 'Cabin Essence' bw 'Wonderful'. On newsstands in the UK on or around June 13.

Gah!! Even this date is shifting!

So excited for that magazine

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 09, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »

Alan, if you check in again -- will there be any revelations in the upcoming MOJO special issue's article on SMiLE?

Hope everything is going well!

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »

Thank you Mr Boyd for the information.

It is a photo taken during the shooting of "GV" promo film, correct?
So this is not Caleb Deschanel, any idea who is the cameraman?

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.

Thank god, we would've seen about 40 different versions of the same thing if he didn't.  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »

"The collectors edition remastered 40th anniversary edition of the Good Vibrations promo film, with all the footage Brian originally intended, such as Al shooting first, Mike Love having all his own hair and a CGI Murry"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

"The collectors edition remastered 40th anniversary edition of the Good Vibrations promo film, with all the footage Brian originally intended, such as Al shooting first, Mike Love having all his own hair and a CGI Murry"

LOL

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »

That is indeed the promo shoot, notice the open cab firetruck in the background which is also in the promo, and some buildings which made the film too.

After Alan Boyd's newest information, does anyone know who is behind the camera? Very interesting new info!

For those interested, the firehouse where that promo was filmed is now the Los Angeles Fire Department Museum, formerly Fire Station 27 which covered Hollywood back in the day when it was an active company. If you visit there as a Beach Boys fan you can see the pole which Mike slid down and Brian slid down and up in the film! Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 10, 2011, 03:43:02 AM »

Maybe Deschanel could identify him from the picture.

Maybe it is the mysterious "Bob Gordon/Gordan"? Anyone have more photos from that shoot that show the crew? Seems like there is one showing Vosse.

Edit: we must have just assumed Deschanel was a videographer on the film because Vosse only said Deschanel "helped out as a favor".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:06:11 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 10, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »

From Big0:

MOJO DUST
Mojo '60s is a 132-page deluxe magazine from the publisher's of Mojo, celebrating the 1960s. The cover story is the Beach Boys' Smile album which EMI/Capitol have promised to release soon. Other stories cover the usual Mojo suspects The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the diary of a mod girl, The Rolling Stones, the moon landing and more. What's special is the 7-inch single that is an exclusive official Beach Boys single in 'summer' yellow vinyl. Capitol have designed the sleeve and the lacquers were manufactured at Abbey Road. The single features: 'Cabin Essence' bw 'Wonderful'. On newsstands in the UK on or around June 13.

Hey LOOK!! 
5 copies on Ebay this morning: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOJO-SPECIAL-60S-BEACH-BOYS-YELLO-VINYL-7-/170653322495?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item27bbbb0cff

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »

By the way Keith Badman wrote in his book that the promo film was shot on October 23, but this is incorrect.  The Beach Boys flew to the Midwest to play concerts no later than the morning of October 21 1966 and did not return to LA till after a European and American tour.  The film was probably shot at an earlier date in October. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:58:48 AM by Ian » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »

By the way Keith Badman wrote in his book that the promo film was shot on October 23, but this is incorrect.  The Beach Boys flew to the Midwest to play concerts no later than the morning of October 21 1966 and did not return to LA till after a European and American tour.  The film was probably shot at an earlier date in October. 

Vosse remembers flying with Brian to Chicago/Michigan in his first "few days" or "after only a week" of starting for the BBs so the filming possibly happened in the week prior.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »

Maybe Deschanel could identify him from the picture.

Maybe it is the mysterious "Bob Gordon/Gordan"? Anyone have more photos from that shoot that show the crew? Seems like there is one showing Vosse.

Edit: we must have just assumed Deschanel was a videographer on the film because Vosse only said Deschanel "helped out as a favor".

Vosse remembers flying with Brian to Chicago/Michigan in his first "few days" or "after only a week" of starting for the BBs so the filming possibly happened in the week prior.

Cam, do you mean photos of the actual promo film? Because Vosse is a main player in the film, and Diane Rovell is shown with the firemen too...as far as still shots from the day of filming I've only seen the one posted above in this thread.

It was speculated - and I use that term specifically - that the lanky man with the shades and the cameras hung around his neck shown prominently in the film was Mr. Gordon/Gordan. I've never seen nor heard any further conformation of that, but if Gordon/Gordan were shooting photos and hanging around Brian at this time, it would make sense. He also turns up on audio of a GV studio session where he's shooting what sounds like a film camera (versus still) and making too much noise during a take.

Assuming that was Gordon with the shades in the film, that's not him with the pro camera crouching with Brian. But that's assuming the guy with the shades is Gordon!

The last quote: Did Vosse only start working for the band officially in late October? That seems late to me, especially in light of the airport photo showing what I thought was a close-knit group of friends and associates, and if Vosse had just started associating with Brian a week before that wouldn't make sense. Maybe he meant working for them for pay versus being friends with Brian? I'm confused.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »

I meant any images or captures of the crew for the GV shoot.

My understanding is that Vosse had contact with Brian for an interview and through Anderle etc. for some period before he went on the payroll. The week or so before Michigan was when he went on the payroll as I understood it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »

I meant any images or captures of the crew for the GV shoot.

My understanding is that Vosse had contact with Brian for an interview and through Anderle etc. for some period before he went on the payroll. The week or so before Michigan was when he went on the payroll as I understood it.

That makes sense, I just wasn't calculating the timeline in my head with the difference between Vosse being a part of the circle of friends around Brian and actually drawing a salary working for Brian and/or the Beach Boys.

I don't recall any images of the crew turning up: there is one shot of Diane and Vosse standing with the firemen, but I don't recall a shot of the film crew. The only outtakes I can think of which we've seen "officially" are the ones of Dennis on the firetruck and Brian leading a Coke bottle symphony where the Beach Boys are blowing into Coke bottles. Maybe Alan Boyd can confirm if there are any other outtakes from this day beyond those few silent shots.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »

OK, maybe it wasn't too much before, sometime prior to the release of GV but after it was completed. So September 21 to October 10? Was it ever discovered when that Boss City appearance was?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »

OK, maybe it wasn't too much before, sometime prior to the release of GV but after it was completed. So September 21 to October 10? Was it ever discovered when that Boss City appearance was?

Boss City aired on KHJ-TV Saturday afternoons, and I believe it was a live broadcast...and of course please correct that if I'm wrong about the live part. Plugging in the known facts: The single was officially released in the US October 10, 1966 which was a Monday. It appeared as a KHJ "Hitbound" on the September 28th survey. The fact that KHJ premiered the single first on TV before radio - a big deal at the time apparently - might make the date of the Boss City show Saturday September 24. Much like the Heroes And Villains discussion we had a few weeks ago, it would make sense to premiere the song on Boss City the Saturday before it would appear first on the survey, then they'd have played it with the "KHJ exclusive" voiceover that week of Sept. 26...Just a guess.

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »

From Big0:

MOJO DUST

Hey LOOK!! 
5 copies on Ebay this morning: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOJO-SPECIAL-60S-BEACH-BOYS-YELLO-VINYL-7-/170653322495?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item27bbbb0cff

The 'MOJO SPECIAL' will be in my mail box on Thuesday/Wednesday, and I'm happy, happy! (and curious/excited/worried...)
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »

That is indeed the promo shoot, notice the open cab firetruck in the background which is also in the promo, and some buildings which made the film too.

After Alan Boyd's newest information, does anyone know who is behind the camera? Very interesting new info!

For those interested, the firehouse where that promo was filmed is now the Los Angeles Fire Department Museum, formerly Fire Station 27 which covered Hollywood back in the day when it was an active company. If you visit there as a Beach Boys fan you can see the pole which Mike slid down and Brian slid down and up in the film! Grin
Thanks for the info. Did the firehouse become a museum because of "GV" promo? with a memorial stone saying 'The Beach Boys shot their famous "GV" promo here" ? just kidding...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »

Boss City may have been taped before a live audience but it did not air right away.  The BBs appeared on the Nov 19 1966 edition to plug Good Vibrations.  They had taped the appearance over a month before, however-during the week of Oct 14-20 1966.  I have an article that discusses how this girl who won a contest got to meet the BBs and the Turtles backstage at the taping.  Not sure when Brian's solo app was but I am sure he taped it prior to the BB app.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »

According to Allen Daviau, KHJ's TV shows were live with filmed segments. So if Vosse's memory is accurate, Brian's presumably live appearance on Boss City would have been during that October 14-20 period or later. That doesn't seem right but what exactly is the info on that appearance? I wonder if there are any records of those shows anywhere?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:17:18 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »

There were two tapings.  Brian appeared solo and then at some point the BBs taped an appearance.  The Brian appearance was not advertised but the BBs app to sing Good Vibrations was.  All the ads list the BBs appearing on Nov 19 1966.  They were on the east coast then doing a tour-so no possible way it was live.  I have an article in which they interview a young lady who won a contest and got to meet the BBs (not Brian) and the Turtles when the two groups taped an app on Boss City for future airing.  So perhaps due to their busy schedule they taped their clips.  The article is from late Oct-when the BBs were in Europe and states that the app happened a week earlier-but no exact date-hence Oct 14-20 1966 is the best I can do.  This makes sense-the BBs were about to leave for over a month and did some last minute promotion in California.  I also have an article on Boss City in which it is stated that many bands tape what we call today music videos for that show and that the BBs and others asked if they could use the clips elsewhere too. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »

There were two tapings.  Brian appeared solo and then at some point the BBs taped an appearance.  The Brian appearance was not advertised but the BBs app to sing Good Vibrations was.  All the ads list the BBs appearing on Nov 19 1966.  They were on the east coast then doing a tour-so no possible way it was live.  I have an article in which they interview a young lady who won a contest and got to meet the BBs (not Brian) and the Turtles when the two groups taped an app on Boss City for future airing.  So perhaps due to their busy schedule they taped their clips.  The article is from late Oct-when the BBs were in Europe and states that the app happened a week earlier-but no exact date-hence Oct 14-20 1966 is the best I can do.  This makes sense-the BBs were about to leave for over a month and did some last minute promotion in California.  I also have an article on Boss City in which it is stated that many bands tape what we call today music videos for that show and that the BBs and others asked if they could use the clips elsewhere too. 

Right, that makes sense. What I meant about the exact info was what do we know about the appearance itself, I wasn't clear. Anderle tells about Brian and Vosse going to the show but it doesn't give any info about it being a preview or exclusive as I remember. If Vosse was already in the BBs' employ it seems like it would probably be October 15 or later, if his appearance aired live. It's hard to know what he/they mean and fit it in a timeline.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »

With all due respect to Ian and Cam, what you're saying isn't taking into consideration the timeline I posted here regarding when Brian would have appeared on the show for the solo appearance, and as evidenced by the photo with Vosse by his side at that appearance. I thought I had laid it out pretty well with the printed evidence, but maybe not...

If the record appeared on KHJ surveys as a hitbound in the September 28 issue, and the "official" release was Monday October 10th, how are you suggesting a later date than that? The Billboard column *specifically* mentions KHJ-TV's "Boss City" being the first outlet to premiere the single on television versus the radio, and that was the crux of the story...a single going straight to TV before radio for its first airplay. If it was a KHJ hitbound on the air the week of September 28, the TV premiere would have had to be around that date too.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

With all due respect to Ian and Cam, what you're saying isn't taking into consideration the timeline I posted here regarding when Brian would have appeared on the show for the solo appearance, and as evidenced by the photo with Vosse by his side at that appearance. I thought I had laid it out pretty well with the printed evidence, but maybe not...

If the record appeared on KHJ surveys as a hitbound in the September 28 issue, and the "official" release was Monday October 10th, how are you suggesting a later date than that? The Billboard column *specifically* mentions KHJ-TV's "Boss City" being the first outlet to premiere the single on television versus the radio, and that was the crux of the story...a single going straight to TV before radio for its first airplay. If it was a KHJ hitbound on the air the week of September 28, the TV premiere would have had to be around that date too.

I apologize, I didn't see the Billboard article, where was that? That would be different, I was just noting that Vosse's account of when he started didn't square with the early dates.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »

I apologize, I didn't see the Billboard article, where was that? That would be different, I was just noting that Vosse's account of when he started didn't square with the early dates.

It's in Billboard dated 12/3/66: Billboard

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx