gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 06:09:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 12, 2011  (Read 18671 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »

Got initially very excited till I realised July 12th is still long, long away.  LOL

Tracklist and artwork shouldn't be too far off

It does seem to be a long time, but once we get the tracklist hopefully we'll have enough to salivate over to pass a lot of the time.  

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere around here that I can rely on to have this on release day, so Amazon pre-order it is.  Just clicking the "Place Order" button will be quite the rush I'd expect!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »

This is coming out the week after my birthday, so i guess i will get the deluxe set as my late birthday present. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »

Sixteen days before my birthday ... so early birthday present it is. Can't wait! This'll be the best birthday in quite some time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »

Got initially very excited till I realised July 12th is still long, long away.  LOL

You are some spoilt brat, Sir! I expected it to see the light of day around October (like AGD remarked, what with the Grammys). July is soon in my book.

BTW: although I'll get it anyway, I am quite curious about the retail price. Also that of the 2 disk version. If sales are to be on a reasonable level, the latter should go at midprice, methinks.

Looks like it might be time for me to hold up them hands and say "wrong" about October. Maybe.

As for the 2CD, I'd imagine standard price for a double set.  The retail for the box is dependent on the contents.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

Interesting..

I'm supposed to see the Beach Boys in concert on 12.07.   Let's see if Mike mentions anything about SMiLE that night :D

Umh.. if I meet them after the show I should probably ask them something about the release.

You could, um, take the SS box with you, and ask Mike to sign each item therein. Wouldn't it be nice?

Now, why would I want to spoil my brand new SMiLE box-set like that??

Yes, probably better to take your second set with you to be signed by Mike and Bruce, and leave the Sealed Set at home, where it belongs

Sealed and put on a shelf for 40 years right? Ah irony. Right where it belongs.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

You are some spoilt brat, Sir! I expected it to see the light of day around October (like AGD remarked, what with the Grammys). July is soon in my book.

LOL LOL When you're a working very part-time college student, Irelands summers go pretty slow, that May - July stretch can be pretty slow

Got initially very excited till I realised July 12th is still long, long away.  LOL

It does seem to be a long time, but once we get the tracklist hopefully we'll have enough to salivate over to pass a lot of the time.  

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere around here that I can rely on to have this on release day, so Amazon pre-order it is.  Just clicking the "Place Order" button will be quite the rush I'd expect!

I'm not risking my music shops not having it. Can't wait to pre-order

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

As tempted as I would be to pre-order from Amazon, I'm in the same camp as the previous poster who worried about receiving it on time.  With my luck, that would be the one time where Amazon takes 2-3 weeks to get it to me, and in a chewed up condition which means I'll get to send it back for a replacement.  I'm looking at you, Miles Davis Complete Columbia Collection...

Thankfully, I have a local record store which I think I can count on.   And there's always Amoeba in Hollywood.

At one time I'd have just gone to Best Buy, but I can almost predict how the exchange will go:

Me:  So, I'm looking for SMiLE by the Beach Boys, but I can't find it anywhere on the shelf.

BB Employee:  Uh, you're looking to smile?

Me: No, I'm looking for a copy of SMiLE by the Beach Boys.

BB Employee:  Uh, I don't understand what you're looking for.

Me: (more frustrated)  I'm looking for a copy of the album "SMiLE" by the group, "The Beach Boys."  Today is the release date.  Do you have it?

BB Employee:  Uh, who are the Beach Boys?  Wait a minute, didn't they do like, that song Kokomo?  Why would you want an album by them?

Me:  (ready to kill said employee) It's actually a box set.

BB Employee:  So you're looking for a box set of Kokomo songs?

Me:  Look, do you have it or not?

Employee furiously tries looking in the computer.

BB Employee:  Uh, I guess you're right...Today is the release date.  But we don't have any.   Why don't you just go to I-tunes and download it?  Nobody listens to CD's anymore.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »

As tempted as I would be to pre-order from Amazon, I'm in the same camp as the previous poster who worried about receiving it on time.  With my luck, that would be the one time where Amazon takes 2-3 weeks to get it to me, and in a chewed up condition which means I'll get to send it back for a replacement.  I'm looking at you, Miles Davis Complete Columbia Collection...

Thankfully, I have a local record store which I think I can count on.   And there's always Amoeba in Hollywood.

At one time I'd have just gone to Best Buy, but I can almost predict how the exchange will go:

Me:  So, I'm looking for SMiLE by the Beach Boys, but I can't find it anywhere on the shelf.

Me: (more frustrated)  I'm looking for a copy of the album "SMiLE" by the group, "The Beach Boys."  Today is the release date.  Do you have it?

BB Employee:  Uh, who are the Beach Boys?  Wait a minute, didn't they do like, that song Kokomo?  Why would you want an album by them?

BB Employee:  Uh, I guess you're right...Today is the release date.  But we don't have any.   Why don't you just go to I-tunes and download it?  Nobody listens to CD's anymore.

LOL it looks like a slight skit, but it's pretty brilliant!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »

Hilarious skit! Smiley,I could almost write a whole skit about my friends and family wondering why I like a 50 year old band that wrote only according to them, car and surf tunes. I have had some pretty nasty exchanges with one music snob friend about the Beach boys lately.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:34:07 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »

Hilarious skit! Smiley,I could almost write a whole skit about my friends and family wondering why I like a 50 year old band that wrote only according to them, car and surf tunes. I have had some pretty nasty exchanges with one music snob friend about the Beach boys lately.

...enlighten us, please...
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »

I'll probably pre-order the box from Amazon, but buy the double-CD at a brick-and-mortar retailer on release day.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

noname, My friend kept insulting  me for weeks about my liking of the Beach Boys and I kept brushing it off kindly and not angry by saying stuff like, "Its okay that you don't them just don't keep insulting them around me." But one night he came over to my house pretty loaded and told me almost non-stop that Pet sounds, Today!, and good vibrations were total sh*t and i was a moron for liking them. I finally lost my temper and said for him to get the foder out of my house if you are going to insult me and my favorite band. My dad also called them a little boys choir and fell asleep when i tried to show him side two of Today!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:10:05 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »

I'll probably pre-order the box from Amazon, but buy the double-CD at a brick-and-mortar retailer on release day.

Exactly, that's what I'm doing. Box set is priority, double disc I can get whenever after.

noname, My friend kept insulting  me for weeks about my liking of the Beach Boys and I kept brushing it off kindly and not angry by saying stuff like, "Its okay that you don't them just don't keep insulting them around me." But one night he came over to my house pretty loaded and told me almost non-stop that Pet sounds, Today!, and good vibrations were total sh*t and i was a moron for liking them. I finally lost my temper and said for him to get the foder out of my house if you are going to insult me and my favorite band. My dad also called them a little boys choir and fell asleep when i tried to show him side two of Today!

That blasphemy would not be tolerated in my house. Especially with my Pet Sounds and Today! Vinyls hanging on my wall

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »

noname, My friend kept insulting  me for weeks about my liking of the Beach Boys and I kept brushing it off kindly and not angry by saying stuff like, "Its okay that you don't them just don't keep insulting them around me." But one night he came over to my house pretty loaded and told me almost non-stop that Pet sounds, Today!, and good vibrations were total sh*t and i was a moron for liking them. I finally lost my temper and said for him to get the foder out of my house if you are going to insult me and my favorite band. My dad also called them a little boys choir and fell asleep when i tried to show him side two of Today!

In my first student year, I was hopelessly shy. And punk was all over the place. So, whenever fellow students asked me what my favourite music was, I meekly said: the Beach Boys, and, without giving the other party time for derisory comments, I continued: but, apart from the commercial hits the BBs made such wonderful and much less market-targeted music, it's a shame that that music is so little known, it's very progressive...

...what humility! Nowadays I don't feel the slightest need to defend my heroes this way. Of course it helps that I don't care a flying f*** about all kinds of pretentious countercultural icons any more. There are many stupid poseurs, but there's only one Beach Boys.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
rogerlancelot
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

I'm getting married on July 9th. Too soon, push the release date back a month!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »

i don't put up with those  pretentious countercultural icons and people like my "friend" and Dad who think music before the late 1960s "counterculture" was lame and don't even try to listen to the Beach Boys with an open mind. People think i am crazy for liking the beach boys, phil spector's various groups, and Jan and Dean but I don't take that crap because,  come July 12, 2011, Smile Sessions will be out and playing on my ipod, making dealing with all the hate worthwhile because you just can't beat the timeless music of the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:52:17 PM by briansbathrobe » Logged

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »

I will likely pre-order the box set from amazon but having done this in the past (using the free shipping option) it always arrives well after the street date, and I have to go and buy it in the store anyway. 

Who am I kidding, I'll do what I do any time a major BB/BW release comes out.  I will buy MULTIPLE copies in EVERY format and then cap it off by buying promo copies off ebay.  And, like in recent years, I will also buy it off itunes at midnight just so I can hear it 8 or 9 hours earlier than waiting for the physical stores to open.  Then, of course, I will purchase the physical product 8 or 9 hours later then go home delete the 256kps mp3s and then rip the cds (at 320kps)  for future listening, and then go and listen to the vinyl on my hi-fi set up.

Yes, I am aware I have a problem (many problems actually).  I am crazed fan and collector, and I can't help myself.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »

No worries, just bring the box set with you on your honeymoon and use it to kill the time. I'm sure she'll love that.

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released. No way I'm ordering online; I MUST have it on day of release. My plan is to order it through a local record store (the mighty Sound Garden here in Baltimore) and drive there when doors open. Will probably buy the 2-disc version as well, depending on content/packaging.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »

At a design house in Burbank I used to work at, we had a young arrogant little whippersnapper who was the golden boy designer of the bunch, and therefore felt his opinion held sway over anything and everyone.

One time, he deliberately played the "Kokomo" parody "Cameltoe" loudly; he kept snickering and making little asides to his cubicle-mates and looking my direction, knowing I was a BB fan, trying to take the piss...

Little did he know he was just making a jackass of himself by thinking I was a Kokomo fan! There would be no point explaining to him what being a Brian Wilsonite is...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »

Anyone worried that this street date were organising our lives around hasn't to my knowledge been confirmed by any reputable source

Just being the token cynic

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »

Anyone worried that this street date were organising our lives around hasn't to my knowledge been confirmed by any reputable source

Just being the token cynic

Right, I should clarify that I will be taking the day off work, and I told my manager that, but I haven't requested the exact day yet until it is officially confirmed.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »

No worries, just bring the box set with you on your honeymoon and use it to kill the time. I'm sure she'll love that.

Me, I already told my boss I'm taking the day off when this behemoth is released. No way I'm ordering online; I MUST have it on day of release. My plan is to order it through a local record store (the mighty Sound Garden here in Baltimore) and drive there when doors open. Will probably buy the 2-disc version as well, depending on content/packaging.

Actually we're playing "Our Sweet Love" at the wedding. She's a fan as well which makes it easier to explain why I need THAT box set so badly. We've been together for almost 12 years and have a 10 year old son. She's cool with my BB obsession.  Wink
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »

That's annoying and rude...all well. Some people can't hear and appreciate the awesomeness of these guys. Their loss.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »

Oh, so it's not just my local Best Buy where the employees seem to be clueless?  Sheesh, I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to score a boxed set there:

Me: Ok, one more time.....it's the Beach Boys SMiLE sessions boxed set [I'm speaking very slowly here.  I have to.]  It contains the music on both cds and vinyl.

BB: Oh, vinyl?  Like in vinyl siding?  You need to go down to Home Depot then.

Me: No, dipstick, I'm talking about Lps.  Lps!!!!

BB: Oh, you mean like L.P. siding?  That pressboard stuff?  That would be Home Depot again.

Me:  Why do you work HERE and not at HOME DEPOT? 

BB:  I really don't know anything about building materials.  I'm more about music and entertainment.

Me:  **** this!  Why the **** did I ever come in here in the first ****ing place!!!!   ****! ****!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!!!
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »

Oh, so it's not just my local Best Buy where the employees seem to be clueless?  Sheesh, I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to score a boxed set there:

Me: Ok, one more time.....it's the Beach Boys SMiLE sessions boxed set [I'm speaking very slowly here.  I have to.]  It contains the music on both cds and vinyl.

BB: Oh, vinyl?  Like in vinyl siding?  You need to go down to Home Depot then.

Me: No, dipstick, I'm talking about Lps.  Lps!!!!

BB: Oh, you mean like L.P. siding?  That pressboard stuff?  That would be Home Depot again.

Me:  Why do you work HERE and not at HOME DEPOT? 

BB:  I really don't know anything about building materials.  I'm more about music and entertainment.

Me:  **** this!  Why the **** did I ever come in here in the first ****ing place!!!!   ****! ****!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!!!

sockittome, keep up the good work! There should be a separate thread for these gags.  Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx