gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728508 times)
ghost
« Reply #4950 on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

All will be known, all reveal'd... on 11/1/11.

Patience, my children. The Smile fairy cometh.

Something eerie about the date. I see 11:11 practically every day usually in the PM. My eyes are drawn to a digital clock wherever I am at the time and it's there gazing ominously. 111111111111. What does it all mean? Has it been but a subliminal advertisement from Capitol records all this time? It's been going on a few years now. 11:11 haunts me, and now it's the date of this thing. Damn.
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

6. Heroes and Villains Intro (Early Version) circa 12/66
7. Heroes And Villains: Do A Lot [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]
9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

After seeing 6. Heroes and Villains Intro (Early version), I was thinking that was "Bag of Tricks", but that is listed as track 8, so maybe this is something we have not heard yet. Don't think there is that much new stuff here, I think "Mission Pak" will turn out to be something we already know, but called something else like "Indian Wisdom" or suchlike.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4952 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »

If it were down to me, I'd release it at 11/11/11, 11.11am local time.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: August 28, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

That would be one epic Armistice Day. A saying along the lines of the famous statement of "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" should be made for the real day when the box comes out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:10:49 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: August 28, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »

Ok - have emailed Amazon.co.uk to ask when they will be making the box set available for pre-order.

Will post again when I get a reply.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: August 28, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »

And to complete a perfect weekend - Manchester United 8 (EIGHT), Arsenal 2.   Thud

If - of all people - AGD starts wandering off the main topic by talking about soccer, you know the SMiLE fever really struck !  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »

All will be known, all reveal'd... on 11/1/11.

Patience, my children. The Smile fairy cometh.

Something eerie about the date. I see 11:11 practically every day usually in the PM. My eyes are drawn to a digital clock wherever I am at the time and it's there gazing ominously. 111111111111. What does it all mean? Has it been but a subliminal advertisement from Capitol records all this time? It's been going on a few years now. 11:11 haunts me, and now it's the date of this thing. Damn.

Weirdly enough, After hearing about that "Paul Is Dead" stuff, I ALWAYS see "9:09" on the clock, no joke.

One after 909,
Revolution 9

Weird huh?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4957 on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

And to complete a perfect weekend - Manchester United 8 (EIGHT), Arsenal 2.   Thud

If - of all people - AGD starts wandering off the main topic by talking about soccer, you know the SMiLE fever really struck !  Grin

I'm a United fan... after all the Smile stuff I was checking to make sure I'd not, in fact, died in my sleep Friday night and that this wasn't heaven.  Grin

Andrews Fern
Smiley Smile Associate

"Water me", I begged.

View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:51 AM »

Hey, everyone -- finally out of the basement ... something's got Andrew happy and distracted I guess.

So ... have I missed anything in the last couple of days?

"I am not a potted plant". (Brendan Sullivan)
"I am". (Andrew's Fern)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: August 28, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »

I'm thinking Great Shape being moved up (and it being the only change from BWPS) might mean that some acetate was found that reveals a mix (that presumably they recreated with the masters) that would necessitate it being where it is in this new tracklist.

What do we know of what currently exists of IIGS? Is it just those three short takes of slightly different arrangements (different piano approaches, bass, sax, lots of tape delay) sans vocals?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:45:42 AM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: August 28, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »

Guess I should list the ones I'm looking forward too:

Disc: 1
4. Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock)-Can't wait to hear this in better quality.
5. I'm In Great Shape-Should be interesting to hear what they decided to do with this.
6. Barnyard-Same as worms
7. My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine)-See above.
10. Look (Song For Children)-Don't think this has ever had a true mono mix.
11. Child Is Father Of The Man-See Worms
13. I Wanna Be Around / Workshop-See Look.
15. Holidays-Along with Child, one of the songs that should see an improvement in sound.
16. Wind Chimes-Wonder which arrangement?
17. The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)-Just to hear this on a non bootleg will be amazing.
18. Love To Say Dada-Will this have the water chant or will it be similar to the 1993 box set?
22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (Bonus Track)-Will be cool to listen to this in stereo.
25. Smile Backing Vocals Montage (Bonus Track)-Another treat for the ears.
26. Surf's Up 1967 (Solo version) (Bonus Track)-Considering the rumors, this sounds like it could be the big one (that's never been booted.)

Disc: 2
4. Heroes And Villains: Barnyard (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Session: 10/20/66]-Don't think we've heard this one.
5. Heroes And Villains: I'm In Great Shape 10/27/66-Sounds like a different version of great shape.
6. Heroes and Villains Intro (Early Version) circa 12/66-Is this the "fire intro" or something new?
7. Heroes And Villains: Do A Lot [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]-Sounds interesting if different from Vega-Tables.
9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]-Never heard of this one.
18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]-Experiment? Hmm...
22. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Gee) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/20/67]
25. Heroes And Villains: Part 3 (Animals) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]-Is this "Swedish frog" or something different?
30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro [Heroes And Villains Session: 3/1/67]-Maybe this is the "fire intro." Either way, sounds like one of the two is new.

Disc: 3
6. My Only Sunshine: Parts 1 & 2 11/14/66 [MY ONLY SUNSHINE (THE OLD MASTER PAINTER / YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE)]
7. My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Master Take With Vocal Overdubs) 2/10/67 [MY ONLY SUNSHINE (THE OLD MASTER PAINTER / YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE)]
11. Wonderful (Version 1) 8/25/66-
15. Look 8/12/66 [LOOK (SONG FOR CHILDREN)]
16. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 1) 10/7/66
17. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 2) 10/11/66
18. Surf's Up: 1ST Movement 11/4/66
20. Surf's Up: Piano Demo (Master Take) 12/15/66
21. I Wanna Be Around 11/29/66 [I WANNA BE AROUND / WORKSHOP (FRIDAY NIGHT)]
2. Vegetables: Ballad Insert 4/14/67 [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) (continued)]
3. Holidays 9/8/66
4. Wind Chimes (Version 1) 8/3/66
5. Wind Chimes (Version 2) [Wind Chimes (Version 2) Session: 10/5/66]
6. Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag) [Wind Chimes (Version 2) Session: 10/5/66]
7. The Elements: Fire 11/28/66 [THE ELEMENTS: FIRE (MRS. O'LEARY'S COW)]
8. Da Da (Taped Piano Strings) [LOVE TO SAY DADA / COOL, COOL WATER; Da Da Session: 12/22/66]
9. Da Da (Fender Rhodes) [LOVE TO SAY DADA / COOL, COOL WATER; Da Da Session: 12/22/66]
14. Cool, Cool Water (Version 1) 6/7/67
15. Cool, Cool Water (Version 2) 10/26/67 & 10/29/67
16. You're Welcome 12/15/66 [SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]
18. Tune X (Carl Wilson) 3/3/67-3/31/67 [SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]
19. I Don't Know (Dennis Wilson) 1/12/67 [SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]
20. Three Blind Mice 10/15/65 [SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]
21. Teeter Totter Love (Jasper Dailey) 1/25/67 & 2/9/67 [SMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]
22. Psycodelic Sounds - Underwater Chant 11/4/66 (Bonus Track)
24. Heroes And Villains: Early Version Outtake Sections 1/67 - 2/67 (Bonus Track)
Disc: 5
1. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 2/18/66 (The Pet Sounds Session)
2. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 4/9/66
3. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (First Chorus)
4. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (Second Chorus & Fade)
5. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 1)
6. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Parts 2 & 3)
7. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 4)
8. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Part C)
9. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Chorus)
10. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Fade Sequence)
11. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 1)
12. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 3)
13. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 4)
14. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 1)
15. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 & verse)
16. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 continued)
17. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 1)
18. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 2)
19. Good Vibrations (Persuasion): Western 9/1/66
20. Good Vibrations: Western 9/1/66 (new bridge)
22. Good Vibrations single version stereo track
23. Good Good Good Vibrations (first version with overdubs) 3/66
24. Good Vibrations: Alternate Edit 8/24/66
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4961 on: August 28, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

I am ULTRA slow at getting in on this conversation, but can someone tell me who is producing the tracks on the Smile Box Set? I would like to know if they have the chops to bring this music to life today.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: August 28, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »

I'm pretty sure that "Organ Waltz" is the little bit of Van Dyke playing the "fire intro" on organ that has been heard before.

Man, Dada on Rhodes. What? Who saw THAT coming?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4963 on: August 28, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »

I am ULTRA slow at getting in on this conversation, but can someone tell me who is producing the tracks on the Smile Box Set? I would like to know if they have the chops to bring this music to life today.

Tracks were produced by some kid called Wilson. Boy's got talent, I think. Could go far.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: August 28, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »

I'm a United fan... after all the Smile stuff I was checking to make sure I'd not, in fact, died in my sleep Friday night and that this wasn't heaven.  Grin

Nono you should be supporting poor old Farnborough...or at least Aldershot!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4965 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »

I'm thinking Great Shape being moved up (and it being the only change from BWPS) might mean that some acetate was found that reveals a mix (that presumably they recreated with the masters) that would necessitate it being where it is in this new tracklist.

What do we know of what currently exists of IIGS? Is it just those three short takes of slightly different arrangements (different piano approaches, bass, sax, lots of tape delay) sans vocals?

As far as I've heard, yeah, it's just those three takes (and the Humble Harv demo, of course).  I agree, I think if it was just the same little fragment we all knew, they wouldn't have moved it - my hope is for an acetate with a lead vocal, which obviously wouldn't exist on the multi-tracks anymore.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »

As far as I've heard, yeah, it's just those three takes (and the Humble Harv demo, of course).  I agree, I think if it was just the same little fragment we all knew, they wouldn't have moved it - my hope is for an acetate with a lead vocal, which obviously wouldn't exist on the multi-tracks anymore.

Erm, yeah, i meant to say that as well...either an acetate WITH lead vocals that obviously got wiped later, or just an acetate of a working mix (still just the backing track) but combined with...Barnayrd? YAMS? Barnshine? Maybe there's another take/version/arrangement altogether, too. Those three takes don't sound at all like a final take or even a solid arrangement. Played a little sloppily too. Oh well. I'm happy with ANYTHING.

I wonder if the "fire intro" will see its way into H&V after all.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 28, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

So excited for all the promotion to start..

Hope Capitol have a great game plan

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4968 on: August 28, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »

That would be one epic Armistice Day. A saying along the lines of the famous statement of "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" should be made for the real day when the box comes out.

You should see what happens in Germany on 11/11 at 11:11 am every year....or maybe you shouldn't.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »

\

Erm, yeah, i meant to say that as well...either an acetate WITH lead vocals that obviously got wiped later, or just an acetate of a working mix (still just the backing track) but combined with...Barnayrd? YAMS? Barnshine? Maybe there's another take/version/arrangement altogether, too. Those three takes don't sound at all like a final take or even a solid arrangement. Played a little sloppily too.

Didn't Alan Boyd or someone once say that it looked like there were some takes snipped off the reel with those 3 takes?  So those probably aren't final takes.  Might be all that exists now...we'll see.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 28, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

You should see what happens in Germany on 11/11 at 11:11 am every year....or maybe you shouldn't.....
What happens on 11/11 ?  Andrew's post just reminded me of the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" statement I have heard in a bunch of WW1 movies and documentaries.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: August 28, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »

I'm sooo curious about the Dennis Song  Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 28, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »

\

Erm, yeah, i meant to say that as well...either an acetate WITH lead vocals that obviously got wiped later, or just an acetate of a working mix (still just the backing track) but combined with...Barnayrd? YAMS? Barnshine? Maybe there's another take/version/arrangement altogether, too. Those three takes don't sound at all like a final take or even a solid arrangement. Played a little sloppily too.

Didn't Alan Boyd or someone once say that it looked like there were some takes snipped off the reel with those 3 takes?  So those probably aren't final takes.  Might be all that exists now...we'll see.

I seem to recall reading that somewhere as well. I seriously think IIGS is the single greatest mystery of Smile. As we know it (and as it ended up appearing on BWPS), it's not even a song. Not even a verse. Just three lines. It seems less significant than He Gives Speeches. Yet it was singled out with its own title on the infamous handwritten list of songs. And we cant go by the Humble Harv demo as any evidence that that is definitely all it ever was because, by that logic, Heroes and Villains would only be the first verse. That demo has always seemed to me like an artist showing a guest little preview snippets of what they're currently working on. Also, those three takes that we've heard don't prove anything either because they could very well simply be--in keeping with the modular recording approach--one small section of a much larger song, just like most of the other tracks had many separately recorded pieces/sections. I'm really hoping that this release and the puzzling move of IIGS toward the beginning of the "album" answers some questions/reveals more music.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:05:03 PM by monicker » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4973 on: August 28, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

So excited for all the promotion to start..

Hope Capitol have a great game plan

Worked pretty well thus far.  Wink

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4974 on: August 28, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »

Still not available on either Amazon UK or FR. Strange.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx