gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681504 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 06:28:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1750651 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: September 02, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »

Do we reckon the 'exclusive artwork' in the 2LP set is a very reduced 60 page book, or the Guy Webster book, or what?

Sigh... I know it's already been answered but seriously, is checking out the amazon.com site that difficult ? I'm not being crabby for the sake of it, but a little effort would be nice.

So it comes with the Guy Webster book, apparently. But that's not in the gatefold, it would seem. Was wondering whether it would come with any of the essays, chiefly, and if anyone knew the differences between the two identical LP sets in the box and the standalone release. As for effort, you may well have me there. I'm used to using this board as a primary source, I suppose.

Also, the LP has sold out on Amazon.co.uk...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: September 02, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

Call me crazy....I just logged onto facebook and Brian Wilson's page had uploaded another promo vid - it was titled something like "Brian Wilson talks about Good Vibrations - From The Upcoming Smile Box Set" - I started playing it and tried to find a way to link it (to share it with the board here), but I clicked off the page and now I see it was taken down. Just FYI.

The part of it I caught was just Brian talking about that walk with his mother where the dog starts barking and he is told about vibrations....probably the only consistent story I've heard him tell!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5952 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »

Do we reckon the 'exclusive artwork' in the 2LP set is a very reduced 60 page book, or the Guy Webster book, or what?

Sigh... I know it's already been answered but seriously, is checking out the amazon.com site that difficult ? I'm not being crabby for the sake of it, but a little effort would be nice.

So it comes with the Guy Webster book, apparently. But that's not in the gatefold, it would seem. Was wondering whether it would come with any of the essays, chiefly, and if anyone knew the differences between the two identical LP sets in the box and the standalone release. As for effort, you may well have me there. I'm used to using this board as a primary source, I suppose.

Also, the LP has sold out on Amazon.co.uk...

Standalone has different 'insert art', whatever that might be. Translation - I have no idea.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:03:11 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: September 02, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »

Man, Canada loves SMiLE, number 1 baby..

And BWRG apparently, that's in the top 100 on amazon too

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »

Quote from Brian, from the interview posted by user "Juggler".  

“I’m so glad you like it, that means a lot to me. You see, when Van Dyke and I worked on Smile, we put it on the shelf, and then somehow managed to finish it and put it out. When I did that concert at the Royal Festival Hall it meant so much, I was very proud. Smile was an adventurous gamble, and there were lots of really interesting chord changes. I think we might work together again soon.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2011/0902/1224303333611.html

Somebody call Brian and tell him he's wrong, he never finished Smile.  

I'll get right on that  Wink

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: September 02, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »

And BWRG apparently, that's in the top 100 on amazon too

WOO HOO

That's the ticket, baby!   Smiley

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »

In some strange way i've never felt more proud to be Canadian. Ha.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5957 on: September 02, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

Somebody call Brian and tell him he's wrong, he never finished Smile. 

Somebody call Ron and tell him he's wrong, Brian did finish Smile.

(I thought up a mean pun joke just now, but I won't do it. angel)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »

Brian's quote pretty much sums up why Disc 1 on TSS is the way it is; it's finished in Brian's eye, as well as Van Dyke's too. I am happy that I feel the same way, as well. I kind of feel sad for you guys that have so many issues coming to terms with this release instead of just enjoying it for what it is.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: September 02, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »

I plan to enjoy TSS many times, from start to glorious finish, and I plan to go on enjoying BWPS.

To me:
Brian is one of the last of the Rock Music Gods.  He can kick my a$s around the block any old time he wants to.

Paraphrasing a song by Bob Dylan (where Dylan was singing about Gregory Peck), "I'll buy anything with his name on it.  So I'll stand in line!"

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: September 02, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

does anyone know who's website has the handwriting comparisons of Brian, Carl, and Diane? surely someone here does.

the LP version has exclusive "inner sleeve art". i assume that means on the actual record sleeves themselves. maybe the lyrics are printed on them?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: September 02, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

Brian's quote pretty much sums up why Disc 1 on TSS is the way it is; it's finished in Brian's eye, as well as Van Dyke's too. I am happy that I feel the same way, as well. I kind of feel sad for you guys that have so many issues coming to terms with this release instead of just enjoying it for what it is.

Agreed. Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »

Remember how a lot of people were guessing that Barnyard was going to appear with lead vocals because of Capitol's cryptic etching of the lyrics in the H&V 78 for record store day? Now, Peter Reum has said that only Child and Teeter were mastered from acetate. This bodes well, no? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't Barnyard always been sourced from acetate? I need a drink.   

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: September 02, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »

Did anybody see in that Irish Times article where its mentioned that Brian is recording an album of covers, apparently primarily consisting of Phil Spector and Chuck Berry tunes? HA! I, personally would love it. But there is a sllliiiiiight marketing problem if this ever happens. What are they gonna call it, Brian Wilson Reimagines Songs by a Guy That Sets Up a Camera to Watch Girls Pee and Also Other Songs Written by a Guy That Apparently Killed Someone? I hope Brian does do this rock 'n roll album he's kept speaking of, but I would really prefer it if it wasn't all covers. Three solo albums in a row using primarily cover tunes? Meh. Maybe he is saving the originals for the new BB album. Not that I really think that proposed Beach Boys album of new material is gonna happen either.

He did mention working with Van Dyke again though, interesting.

I gotta say though, even though its just a minor thing, it is NOT the same order. "I'm In Great Shape" is now it's own track (albeit, a 29 or so second track) much earlier in the lineup. So, possibly should we consider THIS the essential final word on SMiLE since this is where they placed it?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5964 on: September 02, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »

does anyone know who's website has the handwriting comparisons of Brian, Carl, and Diane? surely someone here does.

I posted some examples on a thread here in the past few months, but seriously I cannot remember where or when that was! Or maybe in several places - I had Carl's, Diane's, and Brian's signatures from various documents, and the Smile tracklist does not seem to have come from Brian's hand.

Do a search of this board's messages, it should come up. If not I'll put more up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:11:39 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: September 02, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »

I gotta say though, even though its just a minor thing, it is NOT the same order. "I'm In Great Shape" is now it's own track (albeit, a 29 or so second track) much earlier in the lineup. So, possibly should we consider THIS the essential final word on SMiLE since this is where they placed it?

i wonder if this is based entirely on the Humble Harv recording
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:31:54 AM by bossaroo » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5966 on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »

I found the handwriting samples: A forgotten thread from March. Enjoy!

It appears some people haven't seen the handwriting from the discussion on the old Smile Shop some years ago, or even the more recent ones linked a few posts ago. I've compiled some of the examples from earlier amateur sleuthing and handwriting analysis attempts. You'll see period examples of Brian, Carl, and Diane and examples to match them up with other samples.

The first one is the moneymaker: It would appear the same person who wrote the Smile tracklist wrote "I'd Love Just Once To See You" in black ink on the Wild Honey memo...

The next are a handful to compare and contrast Brian, Carl, and Diane:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5967 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55:03 PM »

Interestingly, the message from "Diane" on the back of Friends is in Brian's handwriting.

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »

Brian is pimping out the TSS version of GV on his facebook.... THE PUBLICITY MACHINE COMETH   Roll Eyes

Where?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »

It appears some people haven't seen the handwriting from the discussion on the old Smile Shop some years ago, or even the more recent ones linked a few posts ago. I've compiled some of the examples from earlier amateur sleuthing and handwriting analysis attempts. You'll see period examples of Brian, Carl, and Diane and examples to match them up with other samples.

The first one is the moneymaker: It would appear the same person who wrote the Smile tracklist wrote "I'd Love Just Once To See You" in black ink on the Wild Honey memo...

Thanks! this is great... but who wrote what??

also, what are those other songs on the Wild Honey tracklist... Game of Love? Honey Get Home?
anyone heard these?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:43:00 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: September 03, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »

You know one of the best things about smile is the vocal arrangements. They're incredible. When I think about it they account for most of my favorite parts. The harmony verse on Heroes, the weeping wilting goodbye vocals on false barnyard, the truck driving man section on CE, the verse vocals on Worms. I don't think BWPS really captured these moments, Brian was really pushing the guys, going beyond the notes, into this weird realm of ineffability.
But think about how little we have of this stuff. Can you imagine what the vocals on Surf's Up would sound like? I don't know if Brian provided the arrangement for the '71 version, but I can only imagine what kind of background vocals the '66 version would have had., 

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5971 on: September 03, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »

Thanks! this is great... but who wrote what??

also, what are those other songs on the Wild Honey tracklist... Game of Love? Honey Get Home?
anyone heard these?

OK, top to bottom:

Smile track list 12/22  and Wild Honey original list. - neither Brian.

Brian

Brian visa application 1970

Brian 1968 (despite the 'sig')

Wild Honey original list

Brian 1966

Stack O' Tracks track list - Carl

Diane (?) 1967

No idea

Also, always remember, Carl was a lefty except when playing guitar.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:25:39 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: September 03, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »

It doesn't look like Carl to me, it's a woman's handwriting. Wasn't Diane Brian's secretary or assistant or something? Seems like she'd be in the perfect position to do that tracklist.

Also does anyone have any more samples of Brian's handwriting? Notice how he mixes capital and lowercase letters indiscriminately, an overuse of capital letters shows he may be insecure or afraid to show his true self. Mixing cases might show confusion or uncertainty as to his identity. The use of large print shows a need for recognition or attention.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »

do we know for sure that Brian filled out his own visa application?

how do we know the Stack o Tracks list is in Carl's hand?
if it is, then it would appear the SMiLE tracklist was indeed written by Carl.

the giveaway being the capital letter "I" on 'I'm in Great Shape' and 'In My Room'
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5974 on: September 03, 2011, 02:01:32 AM »

It doesn't look like Carl to me, it's a woman's handwriting. Wasn't Diane Brian's secretary or assistant or something? Seems like she'd be in the perfect position to do that tracklist.

Also does anyone have any more samples of Brian's handwriting? Notice how he mixes capital and lowercase letters indiscriminately, an overuse of capital letters shows he may be insecure or afraid to show his true self. Mixing cases might show confusion or uncertainty as to his identity. The use of large print shows a need for recognition or attention.

Diane was Brian's contractor for all the Smile sessions.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 244 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx