gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681631 Posts in 27650 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 21, 2024, 08:33:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1756068 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4800 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »

It's exciting, and weird, never thought there was a surf's up session in 1967

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 27, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »

Anyone notice anything about the video?

Haha I'll wait and see if anyone finds it...

The Good Vibrations "fade" seems to be a lot longer?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 27, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

I just can't even imagine what "Surf's Up 1967" could be.Lets look at a few things it could reasonably be.

• Maybe it's just another try Brian did at doing it all solo with just him and piano (most likely)
  • Maybe it's Smiley-style "Surf's Up" that Brian did, but then never used (doubtful)
  • Maybe it is indeed a finished version of the song with only Brian doing all vocals, ala Dom Priore (unlikely)

I'd say the first thing seems the most likely, but perhaps this one was actually a real version that he considered to replace the highly orchestrated version on the album.

A few other things that really excite me are "Heroes and Villains" parts 1 and 2 and the nearly seven minute "My Only Sunshine". What on earth is that? Possibly a home for 'barnshine' and a crazy track that incorporates a bunch of "Heroes and Villains" stuff. Or is that just session stuff? I'm guessing its not jut session highlights because it doesn't say it. Also, Cabin Essence (10/3) also sounds interesting, along with "Cool Cool Water" Version 2. I wonder why "CCW" is  included. I hope to be very surprised and then understanding of its inclusion. Because right now, although it has a tenuous SMiLE connection, its inclusion is odd.

It seems, at least as of now, that the tracklist is posing more questions than we already had. But guess what??? I couldn't be happier.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »

Carl's voice on Cabinessence sounds sublime. It sounds like his voice has been double tracked one in the left ,the other in the right channel and the clarity is fantastic. If the quality of these tid bits is anything to go by this will be one hell of a box set!
 Bring on November 1st

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: August 27, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »

I just can't even imagine what "Surf's Up 1967" could be.Lets look at a few things it could reasonably be.

• Maybe it's just another try Brian did at doing it all solo with just him and piano (most likely)
  • Maybe it's Smiley-style "Surf's Up" that Brian did, but then never used (doubtful)
  • Maybe it is indeed a finished version of the song with only Brian doing all vocals, ala Dom Priore (unlikely)

I'd say the first thing seems the most likely, but perhaps this one was actually a real version that he considered to replace the highly orchestrated version on the album.

A few other things that really excite me are "Heroes and Villains" parts 1 and 2 and the nearly seven minute "My Only Sunshine". What on earth is that? Possibly a home for 'barnshine' and a crazy track that incorporates a bunch of "Heroes and Villains" stuff. Or is that just session stuff? I'm guessing its not jut session highlights because it doesn't say it. Also, Cabin Essence (10/3) also sounds interesting, along with "Cool Cool Water" Version 2. I wonder why "CCW" is  included. I hope to be very surprised and then understanding of its inclusion. Because right now, although it has a tenuous SMiLE connection, its inclusion is odd.

It seems, at least as of now, that the tracklist is posing more questions than we already had. But guess what??? I couldn't be happier.

Notice that H&V pt I&II is a little over 7 minutes long. It doesn't seem that part 2 is just random sections, but rather a genuine attempt at a two part version of the song. I'm dying to know if it was just dreamed up by Mark or if they actually found the long rumored two-sided single version that Mike Love supposedly played for a reporter. What if they found the acetate, and then recreated that ordering? Could it be?

The mere suggestion that there's a version of Surf's Up recorded by Brian on his Baldwin is unbelievable. Now that would be something to hear, but it might very well be the 1966 version still, with 1967 just being a typo.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4805 on: August 27, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »

As to what anybody noticed in the promo video, all I know, regarding the SOUND of the clips in the video:
- "Our Prayer" is stereo. Couldn't tell for sure whether it's the 1966 version or the 1969 version.
- "Heroes And Villains" sounds like a new mix -- the synchronization is noticeably better than on Hawthorne, CA.
- "Good Vibrations" in the promo is definitely a stereo mix, but don't get excited -- the vocals are just panned slightly to the left, and the "ahhhhh" on the right channel is obviously flown in from another take.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »

Would be cool if the first post in this thread could be updated with all the info, pre order links, track listing  etc for all the guest viewing..

The info is spread out over a lot of pages  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4807 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »

I may not have the money for it, but damn I want that box set. I don't really care about the vinyls (haven't even seen a turntable since I was about 7) but I want everything else. Badly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »

That mysterious SU 67 can't be a typo because on disc 2 it's already there on track 9 as Surf's Up Piano Demo (12/15/66) 3:53
Also, it clearly states that it’s a solo version, so it seems unlikely that it would have anything to do with the backing track for the second section.
We don't know when in 1967, so if it's early in the year, it can't be a Baldwin thing. And if it's later in the year and it was recorded at home, that indicates that Smiley stuff is being used? But when has anyone ever heard anything of SU attempted for Smiley? That seems illogical given everything we know.

On a side note, I Wanna Be Around seems a strange choice coming after Surf’s Up on the "album."

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: August 27, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

I always follow Surf's Up with Can't Wait Too Long
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: August 27, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »

That mysterious SU 67 can't be a typo because on disc 2 it's already there on track 9 as Surf's Up Piano Demo (12/15/66) 3:53
Also, it clearly states that it’s a solo version, so it seems unlikely that it would have anything to do with the backing track for the second section.
We don't know when in 1967, so if it's early in the year, it can't be a Baldwin thing. And if it's later in the year and it was recorded at home, that indicates that Smiley stuff is being used? But when has anyone ever heard anything of SU attempted for Smiley? That seems illogical given everything we know.

On a side note, I Wanna Be Around seems a strange choice coming after Surf’s Up on the "album."

A baldwin version of Surf's Up would be the best thing ever, in history

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4811 on: August 27, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »

Carl's voice on Cabinessence sounds sublime. It sounds like his voice has been double tracked one in the left ,the other in the right channel and the clarity is fantastic. If the quality of these tid bits is anything to go by this will be one hell of a box set!

To me, sounds exactly or very close to the 20/20 mix.  ADT on Carl's lead and mono backing track...not the signs of any sort of remix.  The only thing I found disappointing about the video.   Undecided

Surf's Up 1967 may very well be the biggest revelation this box has to offer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:01:12 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »

I'm guessing what "Surf's Up 1967" is, its probably the least exciting thing any of us can dream up. But still, there are some questions....

Was this something Brian did privately and never let the guys know about? Why wasn't this used in '71? There has to be some reasoning for it never being used before. Maybe Brian seriously hid it away. But then again, why would they presumably use the flown in 1966 vocals on the "Surf's Up" track for the upcoming SMiLE release if he had this finished solo thing from 1967? So many questions, which hopefully we'll get an answer to.

That's why I kinda maybe just have a vibe that it could be a version of the song given a crazy different treatment, ala Smiley Smile. It would entirely mind blowing if it was indeed that.

But honestly whatever it is, its a pretty huge revelation, because at least to me, it seemed the last time Brian worked on "Surf's Up" until 1971 was January 1967. So it'll be incredibly interesting to hear whatever it is. Even if it just ended up being him messing around with it from later in the year.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:48:37 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »

...A few other things that really excite me are "Heroes and Villains" parts 1 and 2 and the nearly seven minute "My Only Sunshine". What on earth is that? Possibly a home for 'barnshine' and a crazy track that incorporates a bunch of "Heroes and Villains" stuff. Or is that just session stuff? I'm guessing its not jut session highlights because it doesn't say it....

I'm pretty sure a lot of those are session excerpts given the timings. This is what made my heart sink a little when I realized that "Heroes & Villains (Part 1)" and "Heroes & Villains (Part 2)" are listed among other session excerpts suggesting session highlights divided into two tracks. However, this almost seems like a cruel joke to title the tracks in such a way and I can't imagine why they would put session highlights on the 45 single (which is reportedly "H & V Parts 1 & 2").
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »

Cabin Essence sounds infinitely better in that clip than on 20/20. Listen to them back to back. The clip in the video is so clean and clear, much less noise too.

While SU '67 may be a or the big surprise, the fact that it says that it’s a “solo version” doesn’t make me think it’s going to be anything too huge. But, of course, i would love to be totally wrong.

All the stuff with dates in parentheses on disc 2 seem to obviously be sessions. But then H&V 1&2 don't have dates... If we assume for a moment that this is actually a legit parts 1 & 2, what about the fact that on Disc 1 it's only listed as H&V? If there is a real part 2, wouldn't it be on the "album"? Do you think that 1 & 2 are just titled H&V on disc 1? But why don't these two tracks on disc 2 have dates next to them like the rest on that entire disc?

8 1/2 minutes of fire sessions is awesome.  

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: August 27, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »

I'm guessing what "Surf's Up 1967" is, its probably the least exciting thing any of us can dream up. But still, there are some questions....

Was this something Brian did privately and never let the guys know about? Why wasn't this used in '71? There has to be some reasoning for it never being used before. Maybe Brian seriously hid it away. But then again, why would they presumably use the flown in 1966 vocals on the "Surf's Up" track for the upcoming SMiLE release if he had this finished solo thing from 1967?...

Yeah, I think we have to assume that this version was probably in the vaults the whole time, but was not considered suitable for resurrecting on the SURF'S UP album. Perhaps it lacks the "epic" feel of the first movement backing track and Brian's piano demo and the band already liked those sessions and built it from there. Since the SMiLE tracks we know of that Brian remade tended to be less impressive than the originals, "Surf's Up" may have suffered as well.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 27, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

To me, sounds exactly or very close to the 20/20 mix.  ADT on Carl's lead and mono backing track...not the signs of any sort of remix.  The only thing I found disappointing me about the video.   Undecided

Maybe it's the "just me and a piano" track Brian talks about as potentially filling the B-side of his February "Heroes" mix?  He says to the reporter that he "tried it last night."  And a Smiley-type incarnation?  Words don't exist to describe how insanely amazing that would be.  Brian knew how good the song was, so maybe he wanted to have a version just for himself, for posterity.  Why the December piano version wouldn't fit the bill for that, I have no idea, but it isn't too crazy to think that he revisited the song at some point in '67.

I agree though, that is easily the most curious thing to emerge from the track list thus far.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 27, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

To me, sounds exactly or very close to the 20/20 mix.  ADT on Carl's lead and mono backing track...not the signs of any sort of remix.  The only thing I found disappointing me about the video.   Undecided

Maybe it's the "just me and a piano" track Brian talks about as potentially filling the B-side of his February "Heroes" mix?  He says to the reporter that he "tried it last night."  And a Smiley-type incarnation?  Words don't exist to describe how insanely amazing that would be.  Brian knew how good the song was, so maybe he wanted to have a version just for himself, for posterity.  Why the December piano version wouldn't fit the bill for that, I have no idea, but it isn't too crazy to think that he revisited the song at some point in '67.

I agree though, that is easily the most curious thing to emerge from the track list thus far.

I remember hearing or reading a Brian quote where he said something like "some songs are good as songs, just for yourself, but not necessarily as a record" in 1968, when presumably referring to "Surf's Up". So maybe he honestly did this "1967 version" for that purpose. His little song, for himself. At least until 1971.
theCOD
« Reply #4818 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »

A baldwin version of Surf's Up would be the best thing ever, in history

Good to have you back, Fishmonk. I totally agree. This is very exciting.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »

I can't imagine why they would put session highlights on the 45 single (which is reportedly "H & V Parts 1 & 2").

This seems to be the most telling and exciting thing. I too can’t see why they would put sessions on the b-side of the 45. And it has been confirmed that the b-side of the H&V 45 is "Part 2," correct?

Also, i just realized that in the bonus tracks of disc 1, there is already what is being called H&V SECTIONS. So there is clearly a Sections AND a Part 2.

I'm also thinking though that 3:08 seems a tad short for a Part 1. Unless track 3 on disc 1 is Part 1 & 2 combined. But then, again, why are tracks 2 and 3 on disc 2 not sessions like everything else? Or are they?? So: they could be sessions for the song proper on disc 1, split into two parts. Or it could be that there is one mix of Heroes on the disc 1 album, and then a totally different mix of a Part 1 and Part 2 on disc 2.  

Why are there only running times listed for disc 2? And furthermore, no tracklist for the box? Is this intentional? Capitol mocking us!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:01:10 PM by monicker » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4820 on: August 27, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

This thing is startin' to look pretty good.  And expensive.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 27, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »

Time for me to chime in...

I have it from a very reliable source (who heard the box set in its near-finished state) that this track is indeed a piano-and-vocal version of "Surf's Up," played on Brian's uniquely tuned piano, that Brian cut during the "Wild Honey" sessions, for reasons unknown.  While this version is identical in basic structure to what we already have, it is said to contain chord changes and key modulations that are not present on ony other recorded version of "Surf's Up," and left my friend "speechless" when he heard it...

Lee
ghost
« Reply #4822 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »

I have it from a very reliable source (who heard the box set in its near-finished state) that this track is indeed a piano-and-vocal version of "Surf's Up," played on Brian's uniquely tuned piano, that Brian cut during the "Wild Honey" sessions, for reasons unknown.  While this version is identical in basic structure to what we already have, it is said to contain chord changes and key modulations that are not present on ony other recorded version of "Surf's Up," and left my friend "speechless" when he heard it...

Lee

Life just got a whole lot more interesting
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

Lee

Shocked

Now that's going to be good..

BTW, EMI took down the amazon promo video uploaded to youtube, nice move, fantastic promotion

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

Lee

HOLY CRAP!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx