gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 02:35:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 4: Chastain Park -Atlanta, GA 4/28/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 54447 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe
http://youtu.be/bHBmfYjhob4

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »

Thank you Kirk! As others have noted, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Glad you had an enjoyable time, though I do wish they would change that setlist just a bit.
Did you read what Kirk wrote? The vast majority of those attending the concerts, hence the ones spending the most dollars for tix, want the hits. If you want your shows well attended, then you better play what they want to hear. Living proof of the real reason why they became a traveling jukebox.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »

This setlist is pretty good already. The BBs did enough greatest hits tours from 1980-1998.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2012, 08:01:54 AM »

Thanks, John. I still can't figure how to post pics, but feel free to go to my Facebook and see what a VIP pic looks like if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=855065869432&set=a.529019079812.2064065.45107621&type=1&theater

Thanks for the review and photo link.  Great picture btw.  VIP gets the photo to you really quick, huh?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »

Thanks for taking the time, Kirk!  Excellent review!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

I guess you can call me an asshole as well. I went to a rock concert and got drunk last night and guess what? It was fun! Lighten up AGD.
Yes but you were not attempting a play-by-play!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »

So we've got the alcoholic review of the show  Wink which is fine, since we need to examine all the angles!

Someone should attend trippin' on shrooms or acid - that would provide yet another perspective. I nominate Ghost  LOL
I wonder what ghost's thoughts on the reunion are? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:04 AM »

Nice to read Brian played bass at a show, after someone here suggested it yesterday.  Coincidence, I'm sure, but hopefully he'll continue doing it as the tour goes along.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »

I payed a lot for my seat, but when I got there, there was a few weird people around me and I wasn't going to let them kill my buzz.

I'm sure this morning those 'weird people' are talking about the drunken asshole sat next to them and how relieved they were when he moved to the aisle. I've encountered many such individuals at shows, who think that shelling out for a ticket entitles them to get tanked and make a nuisance of themselves.

And I still can't fathom the logic of going to such an iconic gig with the set intent of getting sh*t-faced. I'm guessing you're a college/high school kid with an outlook like that.

Dude.

I'm not going to pass judgement on our drunken friend...

But I remember attending a (non-BB related) gig in 1997 and a guy was smoking weed. This was in the days when you could smoke inside of course...probably more than one person that night was smoking weed...but this particular gent got so stoned he fell asleep with his head against a speaker stack.

Not only would he not have remembered the gig, he probably was deaf in his right ear for a few days.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »

Is Brain's keyboard audible?

Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

We were right by Brian's piano and most of the time, no. There were two or three spots where I heard plunking eighth notes that sounded like him, and he was playing at those moments, but it could've just as easily been Darian. Then again, the only time I ever remember hearing Brian's keyboard clearly was at the Michigan State Fair in August 1982 when my dad and I sat right in front of him, and he played just about every song in the wrong key. The piano stood out very clearly then.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:04:41 AM by Kirk » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »

Given I've only had a drink once since summer 1980 (in 1994, when my father died) and never at a show, not because of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1i9owelB-k
Rock!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
SG7
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »

Given I've only had a drink once since summer 1980 (in 1994, when my father died) and never at a show, not because of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1i9owelB-k
Rock!

Listening
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »

Setlist:

First set:

Do it again
Catch a wave
Don't back down
Surfin safari
Surfer girl
The little girl I once knew
Wendy - Bruce
Then I kissed her - al
You're so good to me - Brian
Why do fools fall in love - fosky
When I grow up - mike
Cotton fields - al
Be true to your school
Disney girls - Bruce
Please let me wonder - Brian
Don't worry baby - fosky
Little Honda - mike
Little deuce coupe
Shut down
I get around

Second set:

California dreaming - al
Sloop John b - Brian-mike
Wouldn't it be nice
Sail on sailor - Brian
Forever
Heroes and villains - Brian
In my room
All this is that - Scott totten, al, mike
God only knows - Carl
That's why God made the radio
California girls - mike
All summer long
Helpme, Rhonda - al
Rock n roll music - mike
Do you wanna dance - Brian
Barbara Ann - Brian on bass
Surfin USA

Encore:

Kokomo
Good vibrations - Brian
Fun fun fun
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:10:16 AM by DJole » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

Back home from Atlanta and back on the computer. I don't have a smart phone, so I couldn't do real-time setlist updates last night, but I see someone has graciously provided the list already.

The Atlanta show was a nice, long set in two parts as in Tuscon and Texas, with a healthy mix of hits with deep cuts, 41 songs, I think. Long shows like this were the norm in the '70s. The last time I saw the BBs tackle a show of this length was the 1993 unplugged tour. It's really something to see this much older group pull off a show of this length and depth. The Dennis and Carl tributes were very moving and worked well. Only one disappointment, no "This Whole World."

I'm no expert on electronic voice enhancement, but Brian's leads sounded pretty much the way he has in past solo shows to me. There were some clearly off notes in places and some edginess -- no correction there. Still he sounded pretty good and even took over some of Carl's leads (like GV) and Denny's ("Do You Wanna Dance"). Age has taken some toll on Mike and Bruce's voices, and it takes a while for them to warm up, but they do get there. I was grateful to hear Bruce sing "Disney Girls." Al's voice is still strong and gorgeous, and I wanted to hear more leads from him. I recognized David singing in the backing parts -- clearly heard him in TWGMTR and "All This Is That." Vocal blends are strong, especially on the a capella start to "Why Do Fools Fall in Love."

David played a lot of the guitar lead breaks close to the original style (no fx pedals, and all-Fender equipment), but with a few of his own flourishes that added sizzle (that guy can seriously bend some strings when he wants to). I know a lot of y'all don't like "Kokomo," but Scott Totten played some really, really sweet tropical-flavored guitar on that one. It was fun to see Brian take up the bass again (his Smile model, btw), even if it's mostly a prop.

It's interesting to see how guys from Brian's band and Mike's band worked together and the resulting arrangements that were used. Some I recognized from Brian's show and others from the Mike & Bruce show, but everyone looks to be working well together, and the Boys themselves look pretty darn happy to be there.

Before the show, Probyn Gregory and Nelson Bragg wandered outside the gates, visiting with ticket holders, posing for pictures, and selling CDs (in Nelson's case). That was mighty gracious of them.

Concession swag included t-shirts (I got the burgundy "Surfer Girl" cover-inspired one), a nice tourbook (got that too), hats, wristbands, keychains, and David Marks' and Al Jardine's solo CDs, plus some others, for sale. The concessions guys said there would be BB coffee mugs for sale later in the tour, but they weren't available yet.

I think the tickets to the general public were quite delayed until just a couple weeks ago. Emdeeh would know what went down.

Frankly, the show was not that well advertised in the Atlanta area. However, it looked pretty well-attended to me. The Atlanta newspaper said about 90% full, but I think it was closer to 75-80%. Some series holders will always be no-shows, when it's not an act they were really buying tickets to see. But this was good attendance for an Atlanta BB show. Brian only drew about 35% at his last Chastain show, by comparison. This show was much more nicely packed with actual BB/BW fans, who were really into the music and appreciated the deep cuts. It was a happy crowd.

As for myself, I didn't want the night to end. After the sad events of 1998, I never dreamed I'd see the actual Beach Boys together again. I've seen plenty of solo shows since, but this was different. It was such a thrill to see them all together onstage one more time.

Here's a link to the AJC story:
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scene/2012/04/29/the-beach-boys-display-fine-tuned-nostalgia-on-anniversary-tour/?cxntlid=thbz_hm
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »

Photos from Paste Magazine/AJC here:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/1000words/2012/04/the-beach-boys-photos---atlanta-ga.html
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »

Setlist:

First set:

Second set:

California dreaming - al
Wouldn't it be nice

Some clarifications, if you can:
- Are you sure on "Fools" was Foskeett and not Scott Totten?
- Did Brian take Carl's parts on CalDreaming?
- Was it Al + Jeff on WIB?
- Are you sure it wasn't Darian instead of ScottT?

Thanks!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

I forgot to mention about the stage setup at Chastain. Because the stage there is so small, they did not use full riser set and backdrop for the show. They had the back line on smaller risers with the video screen (minus the retro-style frame) hanging behind them. The principals, plus Jeff and Scott T standing a couple of paces back, were on the front line -- Brian on the white grand piano, then Jeff, David, Mike, Al, Scott, and Bruce. 

People further up the walls of the amphitheater had their view of the video screen partially blocked by the lighting rig, so the venue ran the Dennis and Carl tribute videos on the house screen so everyone could have an obstructed view of them.

Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »

Here's what I saw:

Are you sure on "Fools" was Foskeett and not Scott Totten?

Definitely Jeff singing.

Yes, and he was into it---it was his best singing of the night

I didn't see Jeff doubling Al ... I heard Al all the way (except for the middle 8, which was Mike)

My soul was too busy rising out of my body on this one to notice. I did see Brian doing the "two waves and I..." line, doubled by Jeff, but the ending falsetto I forgot to look....
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

I have set 2 and the encore, if you want the link i can pm it to you guys
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

If I missed anyone, just message me again. If the d/l didnt work, let me know. First time time tried that service.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

Great pics! David looks so cool!  Cool

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

Here's what I saw:

Are you sure on "Fools" was Foskeett and not Scott Totten?

Definitely Jeff singing.

Yes, and he was into it---it was his best singing of the night

I didn't see Jeff doubling Al ... I heard Al all the way (except for the middle 8, which was Mike)

My soul was too busy rising out of my body on this one to notice. I did see Brian doing the "two waves and I..." line, doubled by Jeff, but the ending falsetto I forgot to look....

Why Do Fools is Jeff + Scott doubling, which sounds very nice.
Wouldn't it be nice is Al subtly doubled by Jeff. They sang a doubled or tripled lead on WIBN at least since 1994.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »

Setlist:

First set:

Second set:

California dreaming - al
Wouldn't it be nice

Some clarifications, if you can:
- Are you sure on "Fools" was Foskeett and not Scott Totten?

Thanks!

To answer to my own questions:

- Did Brian take Carl's parts on CalDreaming?  -> Yes
- Was it Al + Jeff on WIB?  -> Yes, especially Jeff
- Are you sure it wasn't Darian instead of ScottT?  -> Darian in the verses, ScottT in the coda

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx