gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 06:13:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1429031 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »

As opposed to "I'd love just once see you", "Wind Chimes" or a nice quiet song like "Deirdre"

If you've ever heard how bad the disco remake of Deirdre from Going Public was....

Oh, Yeah!!!!  LOL - I'm nearing enlightenment re everything Deirdre  - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11925.msg237947.html#msg237947 - may even publish a Deirdre FAQ someday - thanks, GSE!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 31, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »

How different is the Smile on the GV-30yrs-boxset from the version on TSS? I could buy the GV-box but I don't use cds anymore and the box isn't on spotify or any of the torrent sites.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: December 31, 2011, 02:23:34 AM »

How different is the Smile on the GV-30yrs-boxset from the version on TSS?

Here's a small hint - one is 30 minutes of material mastered using early 1990s technology, the other is five CDs worth mastered using 2011 technology.

Rocket science it ain't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 31, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »

Right but in terms of mixing and (for the lack of a better term) sound quality? There's alot that I don't like about disc 1 of TSS

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: December 31, 2011, 03:01:55 AM »

Right but in terms of mixing and (for the lack of a better term) sound quality? There's alot that I don't like about disc 1 of TSS

Again... the 1993 box was mastered using then-cutting edge technology. The 2011 box was mastered using equipment and software some 18 years further down the development line. Which would you prefer to use today, a 1993 cellphone or a 2011 model ?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »

*writes posts about hisses and clicks in the album sequence, men in white coats arrive before I can press 'post'*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 31, 2011, 03:16:35 AM »

Again... the 1993 box was mastered using then-cutting edge technology. The 2011 box was mastered using equipment and software some 18 years further down the development line. Which would you prefer to use today, a 1993 cellphone or a 2011 model ?

I'm obviously a noob with this stuff but I consider Pet sounds sessions superior to TSS and the GV-box was just 4 yearsafter that. So I'm thinking how bad could the 93 technology be?

But if there's not one thing that's better with the GV-version I'll retreat.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »

I'm obviously a noob with this stuff but I consider Pet sounds sessions superior to TSS and the GV-box was just 4 yearsafter that. So I'm thinking how bad could the 93 technology be?

But if there's not one thing that's better with the GV-version I'll retreat.

This is barely related, but the "deep-and-wide" part of "Time to Get Alone" sounds friggin' amazing on the GV box compared to anywhere else I've heard it.

As for the Smile stuff it sounds good on the GV box, but as AGD says it's a matter of technological advancements. That and the edits - much smoother on TSS - then again I'm sure the intentions differed between box sets on how they presented the material.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »

I never liked any of the mastering on the GV's boxset version of SMiLE (not that it's complete in any way). Heroes and Villains is basically the Cantina mix with unsorted sections attached, Wonderful doesn't have any of the yodeling backing vocals, Cabinessence is... Cabinessence, Wind Chimes fades out before the tag, Vega-Tables is far inferior to the 2011 mix (the percussion is mixed too loud in relation to the piano, it uses H&V era Sleep a Lot instead of the proper section for it. It sounds like an odd assortment of sections rather than a proper song.) Do You Like Worms is positively muddy, Surf's Up is just the piano demo, Love to Say Dada seems to be missing a few instruments.

Anyway, the GV boxset was just a way to get some SMiLE material out to a hungry public, not to present a finished as best as possible release. Not to mention there's been a ton of tapes discovered from then to now...
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »

Does anybody know the exact places where the BB's lived when they were living in Holland?

Sure: Dennis camped out in the Canary Islands. As for the others:

Carl and Blondie in Hilversum
Brian in Laren
Ricky in Vreeland
Mike and Al in Bloemendaal
Jack in Amsterdam

And they recorded in a converted barn in Baambrugge.

Thanks, that's great! I've been to most of these small towns and Amsterdam of course. Very interesting that they put them in those rural places
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »

Does Brian now or has Brian ever seriously talked about his productions? Not in some vague way where people ask him whether or not he's a genius, I mean has anyone ever asked him some fairly technical or in-depth questions about, say, this or that sound getting it to be the way it was and such stuff? Does he enjoy these sorts of conversations? Of course I realise, as AGD and others have pointed out, Brian does not dwell on the past so once some project is done it's out of his mind but... well, I'm curious!

Not that I've seen (maybe a little bit in the Pet Sounds Box Set interviews, but that wasn't overly technical), although I have a feeling that if you got him going, he'd enjoy talking about that more than 95% of the usual crap he's been getting asked for almost 50 years. 

I would say the documentary where he's analyzing a song (GOK, I believe) with George Martin. He seems really interested in the questions, answering details of his production technique.

It's a doc from the early-to-mid 90s, you can find it on YouTube  Smiley

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »

I notice the Japanese BB releases get kudos re their sound quality, and are held in higher regard than some of the US releases (I'm basing this on various messages I've seen floating around, so take it as a generalisation).

Is this because the compilers have access to "better equipment", in both mastering and pressing areas?
Or are the people selecting and compiling/publishing the masters industry hot-shots (and are there only a couple of people involved in Japanese releases).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

Random thought:  Years ago I heard a beautiful cover of Surf's Up by Duncan Sheik (and for some reason this just popped into my head like a buzzing insect).  I never hear this version mentioned when people discuss covers of BB's songs (it may get mentioned, but I never see it) - maybe this is because most people don't like it, but I liked it a lot, and in fact I think it, and Jeff Beck's amazing performance of the song, are the only two covers of it I have heard.   
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »

Does anyone know any good Smile fan mixes that has "Country Air" in it?

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:29 AM »

Maybe I should start a new thread in the Off topic........Is anyone here a scholar in poetry? I'm fascinated with Park's poetry off Cabinessence. I really want to find some poetry written in that style.

(Thanks to Curtis Leon and Max!)

Muntjac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

Who made up Kenny and the cadets and what Is the story behind them? I just heard a song by them called what is a young girl made of and It melted my heart.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 08, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

I notice the Japanese BB releases get kudos re their sound quality, and are held in higher regard than some of the US releases (I'm basing this on various messages I've seen floating around, so take it as a generalisation).

Is this because the compilers have access to "better equipment", in both mastering and pressing areas?
Or are the people selecting and compiling/publishing the masters industry hot-shots (and are there only a couple of people involved in Japanese releases).

Or is it because, as they say in the business world, an "expert" is an ordinary guy with some Powerpoints who travelled at least 100 miles (and the farther the better) to give his presentation?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:09:14 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2017 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »

Who made up Kenny and the cadets and what Is the story behind them? I just heard a song by them called what is a young girl made of and It melted my heart.

Kenny = Brian, The Cadets = Carl, Alan, Audree and allegedly Val Poliuto. Story goes that Brian did the session as a favor to Hite Morgan. Seriously rare 45.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: January 09, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »

Kenny = Brian, The Cadets = Carl, Alan, Audree and allegedly Val Poliuto. Story goes that Brian did the session as a favor to Hite Morgan. Seriously rare 45.

It's the B-side of said 45, The A-side is called "Barbie" - both written by Bruce Morgan, son of Hite and Dorinda.

I got that information from a phenomenally awesome book, can I recommend you track down a copy, it's invaluable - it's called "Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys - the Complete Guide to their Music" - by John Tobler and some other guy  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2019 on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:14 AM »

And good luck - the least I've seen it going for on amazon is $80 !  Shocked

I mean... damn, yes, it's good, but not that good.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: January 09, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Wilson-Beach-Boys-Complete/dp/1844494268/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326113659&sr=1-3

£80 !!! Blimey, I consider myself very fortunate to have had one of these for a few years now ! It is indeed a fine book, any approaches been made for an updated edition ?
Paulos
« Reply #2021 on: January 10, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »

£80! Wow, I got mine for normal price from Borders a few weeks before it went into admin. It's been my constant companion whilst travelling.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 12, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »

Is £50 a good price to pay for the 3LP Vigotone SMiLE boot in a real record shop, minus the poster? I don't know whether the vinyl is coloured or not. Do I even need a Vigotone Smile boot?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2023 on: January 12, 2012, 05:33:21 AM »

Is £50 a good price to pay for the 3LP Vigotone SMiLE boot in a real record shop, minus the poster? I don't know whether the vinyl is coloured or not. Do I even need a Vigotone Smile boot?

Bit high if you ask me. Oh, you did...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: January 12, 2012, 05:39:25 AM »

I thought it might be. Here begins the detente with the record shop as I wait for them to mark it down slowly but surely whilst hoping some bastard doesn't grab it first.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx