gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 06:27:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony Asher guests with Mike, Bruce and Dave  (Read 29898 times)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:10 AM »

I can't see Mike devoting a touring band set to Pet Sounds in its entirety.  When they did the 50 years of Summer Days here in the UK this year, there was a bit of promotional stuff (the programme had the album cover on its front), but not much attention was drawn to the anniversary in the show itself.  They played the same five tracks from it dotted around the two sets like they did here in 2008.  If we didn't see the press release about it, no-one would've known the difference.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »

Geez louise! One question about this show with Tony Asher and already we've got people on here claiming Mike is planning a secret "Pet Sounds" tour to compete with Brian and he's dragging Tony Asher along with him. I'm guessing VDP and Carol Kaye will be there too, y'know, to make the ultimate anti-Brian trifecta.

This board is priceless.  Cheesy

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Pet Sounds was of course a Beach Boys' album, though nearly all of the music was written by Brian and most of the lyrics by Tony Asher. Even in Love and Mercy, the Mike Love character accuses Brian of using the Beach Boys as guest vocalists. Caroline No, was, of course, a BW song. Whatever Mike says now, at the time he called it Brian's (not the Beach Boys') ego music.

But if it is BRIAN'S last European tour, I don't think it is appropriate to suddenly be another reunion. Brian was part of the Beach Boys as a touring band for several years and has always been the source of most of the music so perhaps a guest appearance - doing a few songs together at the end of the show. I hope it goes no further than that.

Logic doesn't really compute with the Mike apologists though. I mean Cam, somewhere above in this nightmare of a thread, brought up in question form that since the album was released by 'The Beach Boys' the touring band 'The Beach Boys' has more reason to tour the album than the artist who made/conceived it. You can't argue with that kind of inane perspective.

Regardless however, your post explains why some here have raised perfectly normal concerns about this issue. However, if this does happen I can't wait to hear that DX-7 in full glory playing the brass section on God Only Knows and Here Today....hopefully we get a 'precursor to Pet Sounds' section where tracks from Today and Summer Days are played...Hearing Bruce's synth drenched version of Please Let Me Wonder would bring tears to my eyes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:52:23 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2015, 04:26:58 AM »

Logic doesn't really compute with the Mike apologists though. I mean Cam, somewhere above in this nightmare of a thread, brought up in question form that since the album was released by 'The Beach Boys' the touring band 'The Beach Boys' has more reason to tour the album than the artist who made/conceived it. You can't argue with that kind of inane perspective.

Sorry to interrupt your snark and personalized insult, but where did this illogical, apologist, so-called "Cam" claim this inane perspective?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2015, 05:01:52 AM »

Reading through the 5 pages, I don't see where anyone answered the question about what Tony actually did at the show.  Does anyone know what he did?  Did he come out and sing or play anything?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2015, 05:03:29 AM »

PS50 would only work if all parties were up for it (check) and getting along (rain check).

Agreed.  T'would be the way to sign it ALL off.  No partial contigent can make this work.  It's pretty much gotta be all or nothing.

And... ... ...P L E A S E... ... ...NO Barbara Ann.

[Haven't seen 'em live since Carl passed...but I've caught some on-line 'files'.  The Beach Boys under the direction of Michael Edward Love is way beyond being a "bar band".  If Brian can be decent and respectful to his cousin and fellow original band mate...then perhaps *WE* could be a little better at it.

The end is near.  It'll end as it should.  Positively.

Actually... if Mike wants to do one more setlist update to get M&B more cred with the hip kids, he should drop Barbara Ann! Yeah, I know it's a crowd pleaser, yada yada... but he did squeeze in All I Wanna Do and Pisces Brothers, in place of what could have been two more famous crowd-pleasing songs... so he's willing to let certain things go apparently in the name of good taste, sometimes.

Let Barbara Ann go, Mike! You can do it! Ditch it!

(Brian, ditch it too, I might add!)

Don't know about hip kids. But there's a bunch over here who would crap on him no matter what. When the recent UK setlists were discussed, these people accused him: 1) of ripping off Brian's signature songs (Surf's Up), 2) of jumping late into the rarity bandwagon; 3) of performing those out of reluctance. You name it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2015, 05:18:55 AM »

Geez louise! One question about this show with Tony Asher and already we've got people on here claiming Mike is planning a secret "Pet Sounds" tour to compete with Brian and he's dragging Tony Asher along with him. I'm guessing VDP and Carol Kaye will be there too, y'know, to make the ultimate anti-Brian trifecta.

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Pet Sounds was of course a Beach Boys' album, though nearly all of the music was written by Brian and most of the lyrics by Tony Asher. Even in Love and Mercy, the Mike Love character accuses Brian of using the Beach Boys as guest vocalists. Caroline No, was, of course, a BW song. Whatever Mike says now, at the time he called it Brian's (not the Beach Boys') ego music.

But if it is BRIAN'S last European tour, I don't think it is appropriate to suddenly be another reunion. Brian was part of the Beach Boys as a touring band for several years and has always been the source of most of the music so perhaps a guest appearance - doing a few songs together at the end of the show. I hope it goes no further than that.

Regardless however, your post explains why some here have raised perfectly normal concerns about this issue. However, if this does happen I can't wait to hear that DX-7 in full glory playing the brass section on God Only Knows and Here Today....hopefully we get a 'precursor to Pet Sounds' section where tracks from Today and Summer Days are played...Hearing Bruce's synth drenched version of Please Let Me Wonder would bring tears to my eyes.

Look at it from another perspective: if a reunion takes place, you can count on Jeff to double and cover Brian's ass on... just about every PS lead he takes but God Only Knows.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2015, 05:39:05 AM »

Reading through the 5 pages, I don't see where anyone answered the question about what Tony actually did at the show.  Does anyone know what he did?  Did he come out and sing or play anything?

I am also hoping someone will eventually share what exactly was Tony's participation.  Thanks in advance.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Please read Mike's page. It was not a public show.  It was a private performance.  Asher has done plenty of reputable work for many bands, for decades, and in the advertising business, apart from his lyrics on some Pet Sounds.  (And the Beach Boys could not be in two places at one time, in 65-66. They were on the road, touring the four corners of the earth.) Asher was not the exclusive lyricist.  It isn't a reasonable inference from a private performance.  

The suggestion of "appropriateness" of a reunion is utterly inappropriate, in my opinion.  They are grown men, fully capable of making business decisions, and self-determining the terms and extent, of a potential PS 50 reunion tour.  They are members of the same music corporation for close to 50 years.

Those songs, including Surf's Up were performed live, for the promotion of the eponymous album and there are setlists to support that. Brian wasn't touring with them.  They were BB setlist inclusions.  Now they shouldn't be allowed to play their own back-catalogue? And should be "guests" for their own potential reunion? Absolutely absurd.  Pet Sounds was a BB LP.  Brian has a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live CD.  But, ultimately it is their decision.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2015, 06:01:21 AM »

Look at it from another perspective: if a reunion takes place, you can count on Jeff to double and cover Brian's ass on... just about every PS lead he takes but God Only Knows.
Brian Wilson does not need Jeff or anybody to cover him on PS. BW is engaged as ever on his solo tour this year!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »

Nobody twisted the arms of the two ex-BW band members to leave. They probably needed to work more to make more. Caroline No was released as a Brian Wilson single, but also a Beach Boys album track. Was Carl wrong to perform it back in 1972 or 1973? Personally, I don't care if they break into 7 different bands or come together as one band and perform Pet Sounds. I would mostly likely go to see whatever band shows up in my area. Nothing they do anymore surprises or upsets me. As I've said before, I will not get all work up over something that I have no control over, nor will I be more upset than the parties involved.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Please read Mike's page. It was not a public show.  It was a private performance.  Asher has done plenty of reputable work for many bands, for decades, and in the advertising business, apart from his lyrics on some Pet Sounds.  (And the Beach Boys could not be in two places at one time, in 65-66. They were on the road, touring the four corners of the earth.) Asher was not the exclusive lyricist.  It isn't a reasonable inference from a private performance.  

The suggestion of "appropriateness" of a reunion is utterly inappropriate, in my opinion.  They are grown men, fully capable of making business decisions, and self-determining the terms and extent, of a potential PS 50 reunion tour.  They are members of the same music corporation for close to 50 years.

Those songs, including Surf's Up were performed live, for the promotion of the eponymous album and there are setlists to support that. Brian wasn't touring with them.  They were BB setlist inclusions.  Now they shouldn't be allowed to play their own back-catalogue? And should be "guests" for their own potential reunion? Absolutely absurd.  Pet Sounds was a BB LP.  Brian has a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live CD.  But, ultimately it is their decision.

Of course the Beach Boys couldn't be in two places at once but it remains true that Pet Sounds was the concept of Brian Wilson and  with lyrics mainly by Tony Asher. This doesn't mean that the Beach Boys are not allowed to play tracks from it or all of it but I think it is clear who has the greater claim to it -THE COMPOSER.

The meeting was the bit that made several suspicious, not just the performance.

The UK fans were told when the  cancellation of the 2015 tour was announced, that Brian would be doing his last European tour in 2016 when he hoped his fans would help him celebrate Pet Sounds. BRIAN'S last European tour. That is , or IMO, SHOULD BE, about Brian Wilson. Suddenly it's the PS 50. This was called, of course, a POSTPONEMENT. We weren't promised a reunion in 2015 - we signed up for BRIAN.

Of course they are grown men and can make the decision themselves. After what happened last time, I hope that Brian has no problems making the decision not to go down this road again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:37:10 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »

This board is priceless.  Cheesy

Please read Mike's page. It was not a public show.  It was a private performance.  Asher has done plenty of reputable work for many bands, for decades, and in the advertising business, apart from his lyrics on some Pet Sounds.  (And the Beach Boys could not be in two places at one time, in 65-66. They were on the road, touring the four corners of the earth.) Asher was not the exclusive lyricist.  It isn't a reasonable inference from a private performance. 

The suggestion of "appropriateness" of a reunion is utterly inappropriate, in my opinion.  They are grown men, fully capable of making business decisions, and self-determining the terms and extent, of a potential PS 50 reunion tour.  They are members of the same music corporation for close to 50 years.

Those songs, including Surf's Up were performed live, for the promotion of the eponymous album and there are setlists to support that. Brian wasn't touring with them.  They were BB setlist inclusions.  Now they shouldn't be allowed to play their own back-catalogue? And should be "guests" for their own potential reunion? Absolutely absurd.  Pet Sounds was a BB LP.  Brian has a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live CD.  But, ultimately it is their decision.

Of course the Beach Boys couldn't be in two places at once but it remains true that Pet Sounds was the concept of Brian Wilson and  with lyrics mainly by Tony Asher. This doesn't mean that the Beach Boys are not allowed to play tracks from it or all of it but I think it is clear who has the greater claim to it -THE COMPOSER.

You can say that about every Beach Boys album through Friends. When Brian used The Beach Boys to record Pet Sounds, I think the "any greater claim" went out the window as far as performing it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »

The UK fans were told when the  cancellation of the 2015 tour was announced, that Brian would be doing his last European tour in 2016 when he hoped his fans would help him celebrate Pet Sounds. BRIAN'S last European tour. That is , or IMO, SHOULD BE, about Brian Wilson. Suddenly it's the PS 50. This was called, of course, a POSTPONEMENT. We weren't promised a reunion in 2015 - we signed up for BRIAN.

Of course they are grown men and can make the decision themselves. After what happened last time, I hope that Brian has no problems making the decision not to go down this road again.
Ang - a cancelled tour is a huge blow.  Been there, within hours of the concert.  I've developed a "doubting Thomas" philosophy. When I see them, I believe it.  These tours can be tricky.  Someone will correct me of course, but I'm thinking we, in the US, didn't get a real Gershwin tour, and it went overseas.  Sometimes one locale is luckier than another.  

Why would two industry professionals seeing each other be news?  And why are people jumping to conclusions? Mike invites all kinds of people to guest and perform (Lulu) or just walk on for Barbara Ann.  It doesn't look like such a big deal to me.  

I'm looking at the Pet Sounds track list credits and see two instrumentals: Lets Go Away for Awhile and Pet Sounds. (No lyricist)

Then, Sloop is a folk song.  Arr. Brian at Al's behest.

That leaves ten.

WIBN Mike is listed.
I Know there's and Answer - Mike is listed.
I'm Waiting for the Day - Brian/ Mike - heard this during the Beck tour.  Delightful.

Wilson/Asher:
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for these Times
Caroline, No

So seven of thirteen appear to be Wilson/ Asher

That is about half of Pet Sounds.  So there appears to have been considerable BB involvement and listening to the Pet Sounds sessions, shows some of the changes and stages the project took, while in progress.

We, as fans can just wait it out and see what happens...and I always remember that Brian wrote for the "voices" of the BB's, his co-founders and, ultimate business partners, including his brothers Dennis and Carl.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »

Pet Sounds was and is Brian's baby.

Mike's band doing a PS tour would be infanticide.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »

It was the baby that Brian put in his fellow band members' carriage to show off to the world.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:16:46 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »

I would be very surprised if The Beach Boys band were to perform the Pet Sounds album in its entirety in 2016. Anniversary or no anniversary, performing entire albums has never been their "thing", with or without Carl, Dennis and Al, with or without Brian. It hasn't been necessary; the catalog is so deep, and, frankly, the large majority of fans who attend Beach Boys' concerts probably prefer other songs anyway.

I can see Mike making a nice introduction and verbal tribute, then going into "God Only Knows" with the Carl Wilson video tribute, and following with the "Sloop John B" into "Wouldn't It Be Nice" mix. If they want, Jeff or Scott or Ike could do a nice version of "Caroline, No" or "You Still Believe In Me". I was surprised (actually I wasn't) that somebody above asked who, other than Brian, could/would sing "Caroline, No". Do they mean the way Jeff, Ike, Matt et al sang/sing "Don't Worry Baby" - and an overwhelming number of original Brian parts - at Brian's concerts?

It's just a guess but I think 2016 will be marketed as The Beach Boys: 50 Years Of Good Vibrations. And, I would expect the shows to continue to be sold out, and the fans will leave happy. And, yeah, you'll have three or four out of several thousands of fans who will complain that the keyboard didn't sound like a French horn. And those three or four will post about it on this board...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:49:28 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »

Oh, Brother!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »

Of course the Beach Boys couldn't be in two places at once but it remains true that Pet Sounds was the concept of Brian Wilson and  with lyrics mainly by Tony Asher. This doesn't mean that the Beach Boys are not allowed to play tracks from it or all of it but I think it is clear who has the greater claim to it -THE COMPOSER.

The UK fans were told when the  cancellation of the 2015 tour was announced, that Brian would be doing his last European tour in 2016 when he hoped his fans would help him celebrate Pet Sounds. BRIAN'S last European tour. That is , or IMO, SHOULD BE, about Brian Wilson. Suddenly it's the PS 50. This was called, of course, a POSTPONEMENT. We weren't promised a reunion in 2015 - we signed up for BRIAN.

Ang - a cancelled tour is a huge blow.  Been there, within hours of the concert.  I've developed a "doubting Thomas" philosophy. When I see them, I believe it.  These tours can be tricky.  Someone will correct me of course, but I'm thinking we, in the US, didn't get a real Gershwin tour, and it went overseas.  Sometimes one locale is luckier than another.  

Why would two industry professionals seeing each other be news?  And why are people jumping to conclusions? Mike invites all kinds of people to guest and perform (Lulu) or just walk on for Barbara Ann.  It doesn't look like such a big deal to me.  

I'm looking at the Pet Sounds track list credits and see two instrumentals: Lets Go Away for Awhile and Pet Sounds. (No lyricist)

That leaves ten.

WIBN Mike is listed.
I'm Waiting for the Day - Brian/ Mike - heard this during the Beck tour.  Delightful.

Wilson/Asher:
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Here Today
Caroline, No

That is about half of Pet Sounds.  So there appears to have been considerable BB involvement and listening to the Pet Sounds sessions, shows some of the changes and stages the project took, while in progress.

We, as fans can just wait it out and see what happens...and I always remember that Brian wrote for the "voices" of the BB's, his co-founders and, ultimate business partners, including his brothers Dennis and Carl.

WIBN - of which Tony Asher claimed Mike couldn't possibly have done much because Tony wrote the lyrics at his own home and Mike didn't 'and I pray still doesn't' have the number. Mike allegedly came up with 'Goodnight baby, sleep tight baby'.  The composition of at least three quarters of Pet Sounds had  NOTHING to do with Mike.

Brian wrote for the Beach Boys true but that was long ago and he has since written for others, others, who are younger and more able to make a good job of those songs today.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:29:02 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »

This board is priceless.  Cheesy

Please read Mike's page. It was not a public show.  It was a private performance.  Asher has done plenty of reputable work for many bands, for decades, and in the advertising business, apart from his lyrics on some Pet Sounds.  (And the Beach Boys could not be in two places at one time, in 65-66. They were on the road, touring the four corners of the earth.) Asher was not the exclusive lyricist.  It isn't a reasonable inference from a private performance. 

The suggestion of "appropriateness" of a reunion is utterly inappropriate, in my opinion.  They are grown men, fully capable of making business decisions, and self-determining the terms and extent, of a potential PS 50 reunion tour.  They are members of the same music corporation for close to 50 years.

Those songs, including Surf's Up were performed live, for the promotion of the eponymous album and there are setlists to support that. Brian wasn't touring with them.  They were BB setlist inclusions.  Now they shouldn't be allowed to play their own back-catalogue? And should be "guests" for their own potential reunion? Absolutely absurd.  Pet Sounds was a BB LP.  Brian has a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live CD.  But, ultimately it is their decision.

Ang - a cancelled tour is a huge blow.  Been there, within hours of the concert.  I've developed a "doubting Thomas" philosophy. When I see them, I believe it.  These tours can be tricky.  Someone will correct me of course, but I'm thinking we, in the US, didn't get a real Gershwin tour, and it went overseas.  Sometimes one locale is luckier than another. 

Why would two industry professionals seeing each other be news?  And why are people jumping to conclusions? Mike invites all kinds of people to guest and perform (Lulu) or just walk on for Barbara Ann.  It doesn't look like such a big deal to me. 

Then, Sloop is a folk song.  Arr. Brian at Al's behest.

That leaves ten.

WIBN Mike is listed.
I'm Waiting for the Day - Brian/ Mike - heard this during the Beck tour.  Delightful.

Wilson/Asher:
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Here Today
Caroline, No

That is about half of Pet Sounds.  So there appears to have been considerable BB involvement and listening to the Pet Sounds sessions, shows some of the changes and stages the project took, while in progress.

WIBN - of which Tony Asher claimed Mike couldn't possibly have done much because Tony wrote the lyrics at his own home and Mike didn't 'and I pray still doesn't' have the number. Mike allegedly came up with 'Goodnight baby, sleep tight baby'.  The composition of at least three quarters of Pet Sounds had  NOTHING to do with Mike.

Brian wrote for the Beach Boys true but that was long ago and he has since written for others, others, who are younger and more able to make a good job of those songs today.
Yep, just hanging here and waiting for Brian to write and produce for those young rap artists. Brian's written for the Beach Boys no less than 3 years ago. Hell, even NPP could have been a Beach Boys album. I just don't get where you are trying to go?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »

Of course the Beach Boys couldn't be in two places at once but it remains true that Pet Sounds was the concept of Brian Wilson and  with lyrics mainly by Tony Asher. This doesn't mean that the Beach Boys are not allowed to play tracks from it or all of it but I think it is clear who has the greater claim to it -THE COMPOSER.

The UK fans were told when the  cancellation of the 2015 tour was announced, that Brian would be doing his last European tour in 2016 when he hoped his fans would help him celebrate Pet Sounds. BRIAN'S last European tour. That is , or IMO, SHOULD BE, about Brian Wilson. Suddenly it's the PS 50. This was called, of course, a POSTPONEMENT. We weren't promised a reunion in 2015 - we signed up for BRIAN.

That leaves ten.

WIBN Mike is listed.

Wilson/Asher:
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Here Today
Caroline, No

WIBN - of which Tony Asher claimed Mike couldn't possibly have done much because Tony wrote the lyrics at his own home and Mike didn't 'and I pray still doesn't' have the number. Mike allegedly came up with 'Goodnight baby, sleep tight baby'.  The composition of at least three quarters of Pet Sounds had  NOTHING to do with Mike.

Well, whatever the percentage of the WIBN has been apportioned, Love still gets an authorship credit.  I wasn't there. And our math doesn't agree. I'm looking at about 57% or 7/13ths.

Younger does not equal a lifetime of proficiency and whose brains are hard-wired for 4-part harmony. And the fanbase may now include some more younger fans, but the knowledgeable core is comprised of baby boomers who are"contemporaries." 

And, I'd love to see The Beach Boys do Sail Away (which I love!) and The Right Time.  And maybe NPP songs were conceived with the BB's in Mind...weak pun intended.

Que sera, sera... Wink
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

Shame on Mike if he dares to pay tribute to PS.

Seriously folks, this nonsense reminds me of when the album version Live Let Live showed up. People here were wondering why did Brian replace VDP's lyrics for Scotty's. One day a fan asked Van about this and he said he had no idea; this made Brian's rejection of Van's lyrics all the more perplexing. In the end, fans were proven clueless: both set of lyrics were Parks'. The same thing may be happening here: we have no idea what is happening or what will happen, but still it's important to draw theories about how Mike is trying to claim Brian's ouvre his own.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »

Having trouble deciding which is the most unseemly yet amusing: the trolls digging themselves an ever deeper hole (I hear Rick Wakeman is basing his next album on them...) or people presented with the most anorexic of evidence and jumping to ever more, and more increasingly inane, conclusions that you can shake a PS50 shaped stick at.

Fact - it's been stated that Brian's final European tour next year will celebrate Pet Sounds...

Fact - Tony Asher was invited by Mike to attend a private show, and accepted...

Fact - there was some kind of meeting afterwards...

Fact - them's all the facts, everything else is conjecture. Or to some, conspiracy.

What did Mike ask Tony to do - write some new fun/sun/cars/girls lyrics for, say, "You Still Believe In Me" ?  You heard it here first, folks !  Grin

It is to laugh...

Me personally, I'd love to hear The Beach Boys (C50 edition) present and PS50 event: that would be very, very special and a perfect way to close the book, especially if the final song was "Good Vibrations"... but failing that, the notion of having two separate presentations is beginning to grow on me. Contrast and compare. Everybody wins. Except my bank balance.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:32:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »

Objectively, I'd say doing a "Pet Sounds" tour would not necessarily yield Mike particularly great PR. The story would become whether he should be doing it, whether it's a weird passive-aggressive swipe, or a retroactive attempt to snag some extra glory, or whatever. I'm not saying I believe all of those things, but those are some of the press/PR angles.

While it is absurd to assume it will happen, I don't think it's the most far-fetched idea. Especially if Mike tours the UK next year. He was doing upwards of (or over) 50 songs in the UK. So doing 13 PS tracks wouldn't be the strangest thing, considering he did stuff like "Surf's Up." I could see him doing it. He likes acceptance and affirmation and justification and attention from the audience. If he felt he could get that doing the full PS album in the UK, I could totally see him doing it.

He's doing "Surf's Up" in concert folks. He's done stuff like "'Til I Die" before. For better or worse, I don't think he sees anything as "Brian's baby."

If I were advising him, and he actually did want to do a PS tour, I'd tell him to pass. It would be a net PR/critical loss for him. And his band wouldn't come off that great. ESPECIALLY if Brian actually separately toured the PS album with his band (and especially with Al in tow).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »

Shame on Mike if he dares to pay tribute to PS.

Seriously folks, this nonsense reminds me of when the album version Live Let Live showed up. People here were wondering why did Brian replace VDP's lyrics for Scotty's. One day a fan asked Van about this and he said he had no idea; this made Brian's rejection of Van's lyrics all the more perplexing. In the end, fans were proven clueless: both set of lyrics were Parks'. The same thing may be happening here: we have no idea what is happening or what will happen, but still it's important to draw theories about how Mike is trying to claim Brian's ouvre his own.
Your last line...is what makes the crux of the thread preposterous.  

No one but Brian composed the music...but, the then-touring band, advanced it, via performances.  So, now some people think, after 50 years, they (the band) now should be "guests"...IIRC, it was Johnston who shopped it in the UK and sang on the original LP, with the rest of them, and now he's among the "guests" in this completely speculative tour.  

We have no basis in fact to know if there is one in the offing.  It could be wishful thinking and some over-active imaginations.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »

Having trouble deciding which is the most unseemly yet amusing: the trolls digging themselves an ever deeper hole (I hear Rick Wakeman is basing his next album on them...) or people presented with the most anorexic of evidence and jumping to ever more, and more increasingly inane, conclusions that you can shake a PS50 shaped stick at.

Fact - it's been stated that Brian's final European tour next year will celebrate Pet Sounds...

Fact - Tony Asher was invited by Mike to attend a private show, and accepted...

Fact - there was some kind of meeting afterwards...

Fact - them's all the facts, everything else is conjecture. Or to some, conspiracy.

What did Mike ask Tony to do - write some new fun/sun/cars/girls lyrics for, say, "You Still Believe In Me" ?  You heard it here first, folks !  Grin

It is to laugh...

Me personally, I'd love to hear The Beach Boys (C50 edition) present and PS50 event: that would be very, very special and a perfect way to close the book, especially if the final song was "Good Vibrations"... but failing that, the notion of having two separate presentations is beginning to grow on me. Contrast and compare. Everybody wins. Except my bank balance.

Andrew, please stop making sense.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx