gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 03:37:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony Asher guests with Mike, Bruce and Dave  (Read 29542 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »

Geez louise! One question about this show with Tony Asher and already we've got people on here claiming Mike is planning a secret "Pet Sounds" tour to compete with Brian and he's dragging Tony Asher along with him. I'm guessing VDP and Carol Kaye will be there too, y'know, to make the ultimate anti-Brian trifecta.

This board is priceless.  Cheesy
A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Pet Sounds was of course a Beach Boys' album, though nearly all of the music was written by Brian and most of the lyrics by Tony Asher. Even in Love and Mercy, the Mike Love character accuses Brian of using the Beach Boys as guest vocalists. Caroline No, was, of course, a BW song. Whatever Mike says now, at the time he called it Brian's (not the Beach Boys') ego music.

But if it is BRIAN'S last European tour, I don't think it is appropriate to suddenly be another reunion. Brian was part of the Beach Boys as a touring band for several years and has always been the source of most of the music so perhaps a guest appearance - doing a few songs together at the end of the show. I hope it goes no further than that.
Please read Mike's page. It was not a public show.  It was a private performance.  Asher has done plenty of reputable work for many bands, for decades, and in the advertising business, apart from his lyrics on some Pet Sounds.  (And the Beach Boys could not be in two places at one time, in 65-66. They were on the road, touring the four corners of the earth.) Asher was not the exclusive lyricist.  It isn't a reasonable inference from a private performance.  

The suggestion of "appropriateness" of a reunion is utterly inappropriate, in my opinion.  They are grown men, fully capable of making business decisions, and self-determining the terms and extent, of a potential PS 50 reunion tour.  They are members of the same music corporation for close to 50 years.

Those songs, including Surf's Up were performed live, for the promotion of the eponymous album and there are setlists to support that. Brian wasn't touring with them.  They were BB setlist inclusions.  Now they shouldn't be allowed to play their own back-catalogue? And should be "guests" for their own potential reunion? Absolutely absurd.  Pet Sounds was a BB LP.  Brian has a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live CD.  But, ultimately it is their decision.
Of course the Beach Boys couldn't be in two places at once but it remains true that Pet Sounds was the concept of Brian Wilson and  with lyrics mainly by Tony Asher. This doesn't mean that the Beach Boys are not allowed to play tracks from it or all of it but I think it is clear who has the greater claim to it -THE COMPOSER.

The meeting was the bit that made several suspicious, not just the performance.

The UK fans were told when the  cancellation of the 2015 tour was announced, that Brian would be doing his last European tour in 2016 when he hoped his fans would help him celebrate Pet Sounds. BRIAN'S last European tour. That is , or IMO, SHOULD BE, about Brian Wilson. Suddenly it's the PS 50. This was called, of course, a POSTPONEMENT. We weren't promised a reunion in 2015 - we signed up for BRIAN.

Of course they are grown men and can make the decision themselves. After what happened last time, I hope that Brian has no problems making the decision not to go down this road again.
Ang - a cancelled tour is a huge blow.  Been there, within hours of the concert.  I've developed a "doubting Thomas" philosophy. When I see them, I believe it.  These tours can be tricky.  Someone will correct me of course, but I'm thinking we, in the US, didn't get a real Gershwin tour, and it went overseas.  Sometimes one locale is luckier than another.  

Why would two industry professionals seeing each other be news?  And why are people jumping to conclusions? Mike invites all kinds of people to guest and perform (Lulu) or just walk on for Barbara Ann.  It doesn't look like such a big deal to me.  

I'm looking at the Pet Sounds track list credits and see two instrumentals: Lets Go Away for Awhile and Pet Sounds. (No lyricist)

Then, Sloop is a folk song.  Arr. Brian at Al's behest.

That leaves ten.

WIBN Mike is listed.
I Know there's and Answer - Mike is listed.
I'm Waiting for the Day - Brian/ Mike - heard this during the Beck tour.  Delightful.

Wilson/Asher:
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for these Times
Caroline, No

So seven of thirteen appear to be Wilson/ Asher

That is about half of Pet Sounds.  So there appears to have been considerable BB involvement and listening to the Pet Sounds sessions, shows some of the changes and stages the project took, while in progress.

We, as fans can just wait it out and see what happens...and I always remember that Brian wrote for the "voices" of the BB's, his co-founders and, ultimate business partners, including his brothers Dennis and Carl.
WIBN - of which Tony Asher claimed Mike couldn't possibly have done much because Tony wrote the lyrics at his own home and Mike didn't 'and I pray still doesn't' have the number. Mike allegedly came up with 'Goodnight baby, sleep tight baby'.  The composition of at least three quarters of Pet Sounds had  NOTHING to do with Mike.

Brian wrote for the Beach Boys true but that was long ago and he has since written for others, others, who are younger and more able to make a good job of those songs today.
Well, whatever the percentage of the WIBN has been apportioned, Love still gets an authorship credit.  I wasn't there. And our math doesn't agree. I'm looking at about 57% or 7/13ths.

Younger does not equal a lifetime of proficiency and whose brains are hard-wired for 4-part harmony. And the fanbase may now include some more younger fans, but the knowledgeable core is comprised of baby boomers who are"contemporaries." 

And, I'd love to see The Beach Boys do Sail Away (which I love!) and The Right Time.  And maybe NPP songs were conceived with the BB's in Mind...weak pun intended.

Que sera, sera... Wink

You cannot disallow the instrumentals - Brian still composed them. Sloop John B was not a BW composition but he arranged it. Mike wrote 6 words of WIBN, about 21 of  IKTAA and all of the WFTD lyric. One song and 27 words  - Mike was involved in the composition of just over one song lyric - one and a bit songs out of 13.

NPP conceived with BBs in mind? Well, who knows? Maybe the title No Pier Pressure was conceived with the Beach Boys in mind.
Instrumentals do not require lyrics. That is why I eliminated them.

Of course Brian composed them. That is not at issue.

And IMHO, after having seen Brian two weeks ago, was that those songs I mentioned (Sail Away and The Right Time) sounded like "BB groove" songs.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

I realize I'm just feeding the trolls right now, but 87.5 percent of this so-called "bar band" has been good enough for Brian Wilson, either solo or part of the C50 lineup.

Mike Love hatred is sad in general, but it becomes pathetic, misguided and contradictory when the Beach Boys touring band members are caught in the crossfire.

a) the musical arrangements of one against the other
b) the instruments involved (real vs. prefab synth patch)
c) ergo - the sheer numbers of personnel

You could call it hatred, and I could cop to that at times, but ultimately there is a world of difference between what I saw two weeks ago in Detroit and the half-baked tripe I regularly see (via youtube) of the mother ship. Let's get real here...there's a difference. But hey...two big Bud Lights later, and you may not know the difference.
didn't you see M&B live recently as well like I did in 2011?Huh  They were crap live compared to the BW band/C50 band.
2011 is four years ago. 
might be seeing M&B next month with friends!
Hope you have a very good time.  Wink
Howard Beale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »

This just in! Unimpeachable sources on The BBB Board have confirmed that the anti-Mike terrorist "Smile Brian " is really one Christian Love.  

More details to come. Stay tuned.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

I realize I'm just feeding the trolls right now, but 87.5 percent of this so-called "bar band" has been good enough for Brian Wilson, either solo or part of the C50 lineup.

Mike Love hatred is sad in general, but it becomes pathetic, misguided and contradictory when the Beach Boys touring band members are caught in the crossfire.

You could call it hatred, and I could cop to that at times, but ultimately there is a world of difference between what I saw two weeks ago in Detroit and the half-baked tripe I regularly see (via youtube) of the mother ship. Let's get real here...there's a difference. But hey...two big Bud Lights later, and you may not know the difference.
didn't you see M&B live recently as well like I did in 2011?Huh  They were crap live compared to the BW band/C50 band.
2011 is four years ago. 
might be seeing M&B next month with friends!

Mike might want to hire the secret service.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »

So, Doo Dah, you must be disappointed, confused, frustrated - devastated? - that, through his vote, Brian Wilson himself approved of this arrangement. And, to the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if you have other knowledge, Brian Wilson never called for a vote to change it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:46:43 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »

I don't see what Brian (and Melinda's) vote on use of the name has to do with enjoyment of said execution lol.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »

Hoping he is writing new material for a reunion with the Beach Boys. Smiley

Interestingly Mike mentioned that Brian wrote some songs that he wanted Mike to write lyrics for. Maybe it's some of this mentioned stuff.....
Hoping so because I saw Mike and Bruce live on Saturday and his voice still has enough left in it for Mike to sound good in a studio setting. Bruce can also sound good if he rests up his voice.

It's amazing how opinions can change in four years.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »

i don't see why we have to repeat 89 quotes in our replies.

it canna be that hard to follow a train of thought...

- just sayin'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »

Hoping he is writing new material for a reunion with the Beach Boys. Smiley

Interestingly Mike mentioned that Brian wrote some songs that he wanted Mike to write lyrics for. Maybe it's some of this mentioned stuff.....
Hoping so because I saw Mike and Bruce live on Saturday and his voice still has enough left in it for Mike to sound good in a studio setting. Bruce can also sound good if he rests up his voice.

It's amazing how opinions can change in four years.
will OSD ever forgive me.... Undecided.     But seriously it was my first BBs related show ever, little did I know in a year that the C50 band with real BBs would blow them out of the water. M&B show in retrospect was not a good representation of the music, it was showcase for Mike Love's egotrip without dealing with BW.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:40:40 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

Objectively, I'd say doing a "Pet Sounds" tour would not necessarily yield Mike particularly great PR. The story would become whether he should be doing it, whether it's a weird passive-aggressive swipe, or a retroactive attempt to snag some extra glory, or whatever. I'm not saying I believe all of those things, but those are some of the press/PR angles.

Only over here. The rest of the world wouldn't argue that. Just like there wasn't that kind of questioning in 2012.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2015, 05:12:50 PM »

This just in! Unimpeachable sources on The BBB Board have confirmed that the anti-Mike terrorist "Smile Brian " is really one Christian Love.  

More details to come. Stay tuned.

I can vouch for that. Also, I'm Wendy Wilson. Just an fyi

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »

Ummm...IWFTD was written in 1964, and the lyrics were mostly Brian's.

I've heard it was copyrighted in 1964 but not that the lyric's were mostly Brian's. Where did that information come from? Thanks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

What exactly did Tony Asher do in Boston?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »

To me, the touring mothership is akin to a Jimmy Buffett show. Which is fine if that's what you're in the mood for. Nibblin' on sponge cake. Watchin' the waves break...

Lessee...seen 'em in the dark days with Kowalski, seen 'em with John on the drums and Scott obviously. The tightness of the organization improved noticeably, but no one can (or should) compare their approach with the Brian Wilson Big Band Revue. Tomatoes, to-Mah-toes. It's what you dig, dig?

I dig the artistic approach. Which is why I drove 6 hours up, 6 hours back in the same day just to see this very special performance in Detroit. I would have to have free tix in a local zipcode to get into the M&B approach (but I might, if I was in a Buffett mood). Which is FINE. Let's just not confuse the issue by considering the ridiculous...Michael Love Presents Pet Sounds. Somewhere...beyond the pale.

Sherriff John, I addressed your question - it's all a part of the same mosiac. Just not the same. Al and Brian can happily go on cashing checks as per the agreement (as well they should).

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »

Geez louise! One question about this show with Tony Asher and already we've got people on here claiming Mike is planning a secret "Pet Sounds" tour to compete with Brian and he's dragging Tony Asher along with him. I'm guessing VDP and Carol Kaye will be there too, y'know, to make the ultimate anti-Brian trifecta.

This board is priceless.  Cheesy

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Pet Sounds was of course a Beach Boys' album, though nearly all of the music was written by Brian and most of the lyrics by Tony Asher. Even in Love and Mercy, the Mike Love character accuses Brian of using the Beach Boys as guest vocalists. Caroline No, was, of course, a BW song. Whatever Mike says now, at the time he called it Brian's (not the Beach Boys') ego music.

But if it is BRIAN'S last European tour, I don't think it is appropriate to suddenly be another reunion. Brian was part of the Beach Boys as a touring band for several years and has always been the source of most of the music so perhaps a guest appearance - doing a few songs together at the end of the show. I hope it goes no further than that.

Actually, it's not. This thread started off with a question about what Tony Asher did at the show. 7 pages later and still no answers!

When VDP recorded with Mike on "Summer In Paradise" album, was there endless speculation that he was going to be collaborating with Mike on a new album? That Mike and VDP were going to finish SMiLE themselves?

Sometimes inviting a guy onstage to take a bow (if that is indeed what happened) is just that.

And judging from Mike's most recent post on FB, U2 invited Mike to their show and gave him a shout out from the stage. My guess would be the same thing probably happened with Tony (of course, we STILL have no reports from anyone who was actually at the M&B show). 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:14:58 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

Well...I'm lookin' forward to catching them live on Aug 8.  There's so little time left...and we're gonna spend it pissing on them.  Now THAT makes so much sense.  Hopefully it will be an A+ night.  I do realize that there are off nights.  Have some of those myself.

sh*t!!!

Oh...and I think It's truly cool of Mike to have Tony out for some appreciation.  He sure as  sh*t deserves it.

Man!!!  You guys are relentlessly wrong.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »

I've got some old friends in Cleveland that are going to see 'em at Cain Park in Cleveland Hts., early August.

My buddy was telling me how he was somewhat wary, but I told him 'go....have a good time.' Beautiful venue in a park setting (saw Brian do Pet Sounds there many years back). Also saw Junior Brown rawk the house there back in the 90's.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »

I've got some old friends in Cleveland that are going to see 'em at Cain Park in Cleveland Hts., early August.

My buddy was telling me how he was somewhat wary, but I told him 'go....have a good time.' Beautiful venue in a park setting (saw Brian do Pet Sounds there many years back). Also saw Junior Brown rawk the house there back in the 90's.

Touche  Doo-Dah    Cain Park in one great music venue....and I was at that Junior Brown concert..... also back during my Cleveland days
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:24 AM »

[/quote]

Ummm...IWFTD was written in 1964, and the lyrics were mostly Brian's.
[/quote]

That just strengthens Brian's claim and gives an even larger percentage of the composition of Pet Sounds to him.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2015, 03:01:43 AM »

I've been trying to isolate the point in the thread where people started assuming Mike was planning Pet Sounds shows, at which point we truly went off the rails. It seems to have started with this post here:

I was at this show. In fact, I played in the opening band and hung with all of the BBs and Tony post-show.
Fantastic group of guys and Tony is one of the funniest people I've ever met. I believe he was in town for a meeting with the BBs - not sure what for - I didn't ask.

Well, next year is 2016. Pet Sounds was released in 1966, which is 50 years ago next year. Now, if I could only just recall who wrote most of the lyrics for it, I might be able to join a few dots. Damn this short term memory loss...

Please delete my account
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2015, 03:31:41 AM »

I've been trying to isolate the point in the thread where people started assuming Mike was planning Pet Sounds shows, at which point we truly went off the rails. It seems to have started with this post here:

I was at this show. In fact, I played in the opening band and hung with all of the BBs and Tony post-show.
Fantastic group of guys and Tony is one of the funniest people I've ever met. I believe he was in town for a meeting with the BBs - not sure what for - I didn't ask.

Well, next year is 2016. Pet Sounds was released in 1966, which is 50 years ago next year. Now, if I could only just recall who wrote most of the lyrics for it, I might be able to join a few dots. Damn this short term memory loss...

You don't think it started at Reply =11 with "Everyone has to at least appear to get along. Otherwise the "Beach Boys Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour" will never sell to the promotors"?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2015, 04:04:36 AM »

Oh, maybe. I assumed she was being flippant. But then I suppose AGD was being flippant too. Either way I don't think there's any reason to have a big debate about competing Pet Sounds anniversary tours until we hear more (which we probably won't).

Please delete my account
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2015, 04:12:36 AM »

If there's one overarching aspect of this forum, it's the formidable ability to spin pure fantasies of breathtaking complexity and detail based on the merest molecules of information. I find it strangely comforting.  Reminds me of the picture that used to hang in some anthropological museum or other, depicting a happy family of early hominids in a cave, gathered round a fire and enjoying a hearty repast of roast Grandpa. All based on/extrapolated from a single tooth excavated from same cave. Which later turned out to be from a pig. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:17:01 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »

Gotta admit that for a while this thread provided an entertaining dick-length argument. Heck, it even included an ACTUAL dick-length argument! (Bra-vo ontor and Mike's beard!!!).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »

It ain't the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean.

Er... allegedly.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx