gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:54:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony Asher guests with Mike, Bruce and Dave  (Read 29572 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »

The deeper cut UK setlist has landed, finally in the US.  Very well received.

A perusal of recent setlists shows this to be false. I'd be interested to know why you are saying otherwise.

And Brian is doing more of the car songs...neither band is "murdering" anything. 

Brian is performing exactly two car songs, the same number he was performing six years ago.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2015, 05:46:08 PM »

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm, ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED at Asher for being such a TRAITOR to Brian, such a TURNCOAT, by taking up Mike's invitation and appearing with him after all Brian's done for...

I'm sorry, I can't keep this sh*t up any longer, laughing too much, exactly as I did when I read the thread the first time. They say laughter is the best medicine, and they're right: not been feeling too chipper of late, but seeing the utter and complete spluttering idiocy posted here has raised my spirits no end. Great start to the day. Still chuckling.  LOL

Met Tony once, at a Stomp convention, oh, eighteen or so years ago and he's a complete gentleman.

Oh my...  Grin

Youre just a walking mass of pure ego aren't you

When you say "walking mass" are you possibly referring to something, dare I say, along the lines of a flesh explosion with the all omnipotent "attitude"??  Huh Huh
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:48:17 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »

Damn right OSD!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »

1. The level of bitterness among some people because Tony showed up with Mike is astonishing.

2. Stating that a BW-licensed touring outfit is stealing BW's ideas doesn't make much sense. But who knows.

3. It is untrue that Mike resented or resents the PS album. And part of the bitterness is because some people believe that it's better that Mike stays away from the realms of such album and leaves it stain-free. For some, it is symbolic in that you can say it's Brian's music without the embarrassement of having to withstand too heavy a presence from those annoying and square Beach Boys. If Mike claims it, like he claims Heroes and Villains, or like he shakes hands with Asher, then the remains of that "I'm a BW fan solely, don't make fun at me" attitude (that music and that people that connect to BW's genius mind in a most pure way) would collapse.

4. Perhaps there is a reunion in the making.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »

The deeper cut UK setlist has landed, finally in the US.  Very well received.
A perusal of recent setlists shows this to be false. I'd be interested to know why you are saying otherwise.
(Quote)
Wirestone - perhaps it should have been described as "more UK resembling." It is a semantic. For years the deeper cuts were performed less.
(End of reply)
And Brian is doing more of the car songs...neither band is "murdering" anything.  

Brian is performing exactly two car songs, the same number he was performing six years ago.
Brian had Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, I Get Around (bugged drivin' up and down this same old strip)

Fun, Fun, Fun, (the t-bird) and Don't worry Baby is technically car genre, from Shut Down Vol. 2. (I guess I should have kept my mouth shut when I started to brag about my car...Baby when you race today...)

That is five of about 30/31 songs, in a show that was a NPP highlights tour.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:13:42 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »

PS50 would only work if all parties were up for it (check) and getting along (rain check).

Agreed.  T'would be the way to sign it ALL off.  No partial contigent can make this work.  It's pretty much gotta be all or nothing.

And... ... ...P L E A S E... ... ...NO Barbara Ann.

[Haven't seen 'em live since Carl passed...but I've caught some on-line 'files'.  The Beach Boys under the direction of Michael Edward Love is way beyond being a "bar band".  If Brian can be decent and respectful to his cousin and fellow original band mate...then perhaps *WE* could be a little better at it.

The end is near.  It'll end as it should.  Positively.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »

I know this would never ever happen, because of Mikes death grip on the BB licence  but damn if 2016 could be a PS50/Farewell tour, what a great way to hang up the proverbial Hawaiian shirt.   The band could surf into the sunset one last time celebrating their greatest album. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »

PS50 would only work if all parties were up for it (check) and getting along (rain check).

Agreed.  T'would be the way to sign it ALL off.  No partial contigent can make this work.  It's pretty much gotta be all or nothing.

[Haven't seen 'em live since Carl passed...but I've caught some on-line 'files'.  The Beach Boys under the direction of Michael Edward Love is way beyond being a "bar band".  If Brian can be decent and respectful to his cousin and fellow original band mate...then perhaps *WE* could be a little better at it.

The end is near.  It'll end as it should.  Positively.

Actually... if Mike wants to do one more setlist update to get M&B more cred with the hip kids, he should drop Barbara Ann! Yeah, I know it's a crowd pleaser, yada yada... but he did squeeze in All I Wanna Do and Pisces Brothers, in place of what could have been two more famous crowd-pleasing songs... so he's willing to let certain things go apparently in the name of good taste, sometimes.

Let Barbara Ann go, Mike! You can do it! Ditch it!

(Brian, ditch it too, I might add!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:19:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »

Agreed.  T'would be the way to sign it ALL off.  No partial contigent can make this work.  It's pretty much gotta be all or nothing.

[Haven't seen 'em live since Carl passed...but I've caught some on-line 'files'.  The Beach Boys under the direction of Michael Edward Love is way beyond being a "bar band".  If Brian can be decent and respectful to his cousin and fellow original band mate...then perhaps *WE* could be a little better at it.

The end is near.  It'll end as it should.  Positively.

Actually... if Mike wants to do one more setlist update to get M&B more cred with the hip kids, he should drop Barbara Ann! Yeah, I know it's a crowd pleaser, yada yada... but he did squeeze in All I Wanna Do and Pisces Brothers, in place of what could have been two more famous crowd-pleasing songs... so he's willing to let certain things go apparently in the name of good taste, sometimes.

Let Barbara Ann go, Mike! You can do it! Ditch it!

(Brian, ditch it too, I might add!)
Some may hold their noses...but it is (Barbara Ann) almost a non-negotiable...the crowd wants it.  It would be a request...it was #1 in Austria, Germany, Norway, Switzerland. #2 in the U.S., #3 in the UK. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »

Barbara Ann is a blight on the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »

You might have that conversation with those who bought the records that made it a hit.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »

It's a crap song.....

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

You might have that conversation with those who bought the records that made it a hit.

Having my baby went #1, Muskrat Love went #4 and MacArthur Park went #2.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »

It's a crap song.....
You may hold that position but with it's sales, ranking and recognition factor, make it highly unlikely that Barbara Ann is "Leaving This Town" any time soon.   LOL
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

Having my baby went #1, Muskrat Love went #4 and MacArthur Park went #2.

Very good point.

And Winchester Cathedral beat GV. Go figure.

We don't hear those songs much anymore.

The BB stuff endured, so I guess that might be the difference.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »

Yes Barbara Ann IS one of their biggest hits but please...it's not like 'fans' haven't been fed B A through every available orifice  for damn close to 50 years.  Surely on ONE last tour we can collectively remember what B A was [and is].  It was part of a filler album recorded to get the record company off of Brian's back so that he could buy some time in order to complete what mattered.  Although 'well' done in an 'uncut' fashion and layered with 'magic ingredients' to make it appear to be something better than what it really was...it's a throwaway song they did 'cause Dean wandered into the room.  At best it's a happy accident.  Let the Regents tour it in 2016 exclusively.  Let the Beach Boys get together and focus on performing what really mattered one last time.

Seems to me when they toured the Good Vibes Box Set in those smaller venues that they let 'it' go THAT year.  Or am I wrong?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »

Yes Barbara Ann IS one of their biggest hits but please...it's not like 'fans' haven't been fed B A through every available orifice  for damn close to 50 years.  Surely on ONE last tour we can collectively remember what B A was [and is].  It was part of a filler album recorded to get the record company off of Brian's back so that he could buy some time in order to complete what mattered.  Although 'well' done in an 'uncut' fashion and layered with 'magic ingredients' to make it appear to be something better than what it really was...it's a throwaway song they did 'cause Dean wandered into the room.  At best it's a happy accident.  Let the Regents tour it in 2016 exclusively.  Let the Beach Boys get together and focus on performing what really mattered one last time.

Seems to me when they toured the Good Vibes Box Set in those smaller venues that they let 'it' go THAT year.  Or am I wrong?
"Happy Accident" is a good characterization. I happened to have on "Hawthorne" while driving today and the teen and twenty-something voices cracked me up.  But it is hard not to include it. It's almost comic relief amidst the intensity of a performance where everyone can kick back and have a giggle.  I guess that's how I view it.   Wink
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »

Yes Barbara Ann IS one of their biggest hits but please...it's not like 'fans' haven't been fed B A through every available orifice  for damn close to 50 years.  Surely on ONE last tour we can collectively remember what B A was [and is].  It was part of a filler album recorded to get the record company off of Brian's back so that he could buy some time in order to complete what mattered.  Although 'well' done in an 'uncut' fashion and layered with 'magic ingredients' to make it appear to be something better than what it really was...it's a throwaway song they did 'cause Dean wandered into the room.  At best it's a happy accident.  Let the Regents tour it in 2016 exclusively.  Let the Beach Boys get together and focus on performing what really mattered one last time.

Seems to me when they toured the Good Vibes Box Set in those smaller venues that they let 'it' go THAT year.  Or am I wrong?
"Happy Accident" is a good characterization. I happened to have on "Hawthorne" while driving today and the teen and twenty-something voices cracked me up.  But it is hard not to include it. It's almost comic relief amidst the intensity of a performance where everyone can kick back and have a giggle.  I guess that's how I view it.   Wink

Giggle? Hmm... not quite.  Barbara Friggin Ann is more like that moment in the set where one can step away and have a nice long peepee break.

LOL
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:09:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »

Yes Barbara Ann IS one of their biggest hits but please...it's not like 'fans' haven't been fed B A through every available orifice  for damn close to 50 years.  Surely on ONE last tour we can collectively remember what B A was [and is].  It was part of a filler album recorded to get the record company off of Brian's back so that he could buy some time in order to complete what mattered.  Although 'well' done in an 'uncut' fashion and layered with 'magic ingredients' to make it appear to be something better than what it really was...it's a throwaway song they did 'cause Dean wandered into the room.  At best it's a happy accident.  Let the Regents tour it in 2016 exclusively.  Let the Beach Boys get together and focus on performing what really mattered one last time.

Seems to me when they toured the Good Vibes Box Set in those smaller venues that they let 'it' go THAT year.  Or am I wrong?
"Happy Accident" is a good characterization. I happened to have on "Hawthorne" while driving today and the teen and twenty-something voices cracked me up.  But it is hard not to include it. It's almost comic relief amidst the intensity of a performance where everyone can kick back and have a giggle.  I guess that's how I view it.   Wink

Giggle? Hmm... not quite.  Barbara Friggin Ann is more like that moment in the set where one can step away and have a nice long peepee break.
 LOL
No time for that at the end of the show.  That isn't time to get a  Beer
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »

Mike made his next move, now it's Brian and Al's turn to take it up another notch.   Ron Altbach? Geoffrey Cushing Murray?

At least there were fireworks this time from the Queen Mary, better than the bomb that struck there another time the BB were involved. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »

Re: "B-f-A" - fully understand it'll be part of the encore of the Final Beach Boys Show Ever. It's a dictum of rock (unless you're Neil Young), play the hits. I, and many others here, happen not to care for it, to be polite. With Brian, there's an additional layer of non-negotiability in that he likes the song. As several band members have noted in conversation, "the boss likes it, so it's never going to be dropped". Well phooey.  Grin

Aside: the sharp bifurcation of this thread continues to be hugely amusing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:25:44 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »

Given I work for a bookmaker, I'd put the varying odds at:

Full band reunion tour for PS50 - 66/1

Some kind of one-off 2016 reuinon (gig/TV/whatever) - 10/1

Two separate celebrations of some sort or other - 1/25

Whatever happens, someone here will bitch about some aspect of it - book closed, dead cert.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »

Re: "B-f-A" - fully understand it'll be part of the encore of the Final Beach Boys Show Ever. It's a dictum of rock (unless you're Neil Young), play the hits. I, and many others here, happen not to care for it, to be polite. With Brian, there's an additional layer of non-negotiability in that he likes the song. As several band members have noted in conversation, "the boss likes it, so it's never going to be dropped". Well phooey.  Grin

Aside: the sharp bifurcation of this thread continues to be hugely amusing.

Amazing how a man who could compose such brilliant songs could simultaneously have such poor taste

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »

I don't care for the studio version that much, but live it's a corker (especially on this tour...in Austin,  for instance, Brian was playing some good boogie woogie piano during the break).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2015, 01:49:38 AM »

Geez louise! One question about this show with Tony Asher and already we've got people on here claiming Mike is planning a secret "Pet Sounds" tour to compete with Brian and he's dragging Tony Asher along with him. I'm guessing VDP and Carol Kaye will be there too, y'know, to make the ultimate anti-Brian trifecta.

This board is priceless.  Cheesy

A little bit more complicated than that though, isn't it? We hear Tony Asher appeared on stage with M&B's BBs and then someone posts that there was a meeting between Tony Asher and the Beach Boys, reason unknown. That produced two reactions, not one. Some thought it might indicate Mike wanted to present a 50 Years of Pet Sounds Tour and try to steal Brian's thunder and some thought it was a sign that there might be - yippee! -  another reunion. If you're going to mock those who suspect Mike of trying to out manoeuvre his cousin of over reaction you must also criticise those who immediately assume it means a reunion of the same thing because there is no definite proof of either situation.

However, let's see, Mike acquired two ex members of Brian's band, presumably having to let Randell Kirsch go so as to replace with Brian Eichenberger, played the RAH and used publicity shots showing the C50 line up with a disclaimer in the small print,  added Surf's Up and Til I Die to the set, though previously had said negative things about each of these. Is it so hard to believe that Mike feels competitive towards his cousin?

Pet Sounds was of course a Beach Boys' album, though nearly all of the music was written by Brian and most of the lyrics by Tony Asher. Even in Love and Mercy, the Mike Love character accuses Brian of using the Beach Boys as guest vocalists. Caroline No, was, of course, a BW song. Whatever Mike says now, at the time he called it Brian's (not the Beach Boys') ego music.

But if it is BRIAN'S last European tour, I don't think it is appropriate to suddenly be another reunion. Brian was part of the Beach Boys as a touring band for several years and has always been the source of most of the music so perhaps a guest appearance - doing a few songs together at the end of the show. I hope it goes no further than that.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx