gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:28:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Mike ever commented on "Summer In Paradise?"  (Read 17870 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »

But I'm so glad I own it. Unique packaging, cool artwork, poster, and all. The album gets played in my home. (selected cuts)

I like that album. I don't agree with the philosophy behind it but I can dig some of that stuff. And yes, the artwork is fantastic. The best artwork ever on a Beach Boys record

I have both CD versions, but I just wished I had the LP - darn koreans, they get all the exclusives  Grin
The cover is cool especially the LP but as AGD once wrote "shame about the music".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

But grunge, rap and R&B are AMAZING
Well, R&B was amazing in the 60s and early 70s at least.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

Interestingly enough, this album appears to have been erased from the Beach Boys' canon.  In the tour program, this album is completely omitted. 

I want to say it was omitted from the BB discography on Brian's site (or maybe the BB site) as well. I thought it was peculiar, but not heartbreaking in the least way.
MBE
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

50's too.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:27 AM »

Interestingly enough, this album appears to have been erased from the Beach Boys' canon.  In the tour program, this album is completely omitted. 

Is it the ONLY album that's omitted? I've always wondered why on the inner sleeves of The Very Best of The Beach Boys, where all their available albums are shown in a row along the bottom of the pages - why is Smiley Smile/Wild Honey not shown? Or at least it ain't on the version i've got (or on the one my cousin owns, coz i checked)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:21 AM »

Accident or not, that took some balls STE!  The mental image is cracking me up.

Yeah it really slipped, but looking back now it was kinda funny Smiley

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »

50's too.

I don't know exactly what happened during those years of 91-94 but I know that Z100 the biggest top 40 station in the county flipped to a rock format, some bands got their video on MTV and could sell millions of album without any radio airplay.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:46 AM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Back in '99 I asked Mike to sign my SIP copy.  He looked at it, probably hadn't seen it in years, and he said "Yeah this was a very good cover". To which I accidentally replied "But only the cover".
He looked at me, continued signing, gave the cd back and left without saying a word.

What do you do for a living?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 01:53:41 AM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Back in '99 I asked Mike to sign my SIP copy.  He looked at it, probably hadn't seen it in years, and he said "Yeah this was a very good cover". To which I accidentally replied "But only the cover".
He looked at me, continued signing, gave the cd back and left without saying a word.

What do you do for a living?

Whatever I do it's just fine if some people don't like the result of my work.  I'm a big boy and I can take feedback and I'm sure so can Mike.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »

I've only recently gotten the courage to look up Summer in Paradise tracks on YouTube. I have to say I was very, very pleasantly surprised (considering my rock bottom expectations). Yes, Summer of Love is an absolute train wreck (although I find myself replaying it over and over....), and while only about half of the SIP tracks appear to be available on youtube, the ones that I've found other than Summer of Love range from passable to excellent. In the latter category I'd put Lahaina Aloha and Strange Things Happen, both of which are just as good as anything on Still Crusin and blow away most (not all) of the tracks on Beach Boys 85.  I hope they rerelease this as part of the 50th Anniversary, but won't hold my breath. Bottom line is that there are some GREAT songs on SIP that should be given their due.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »

Lahaina Aloha is the only song I listen to off of that album. I really like Carl's part but overall the song reminds me of something a modern Jimmy Buffett would do.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 06:13:07 AM »

I've only recently gotten the courage to look up Summer in Paradise tracks on YouTube. I have to say I was very, very pleasantly surprised (considering my rock bottom expectations). Yes, Summer of Love is an absolute train wreck (although I find myself replaying it over and over....), and while only about half of the SIP tracks appear to be available on youtube, the ones that I've found other than Summer of Love range from passable to excellent. In the latter category I'd put Lahaina Aloha and Strange Things Happen, both of which are just as good as anything on Still Crusin and blow away most (not all) of the tracks on Beach Boys 85.  I hope they rerelease this as part of the 50th Anniversary, but won't hold my breath. Bottom line is that there are some GREAT songs on SIP that should be given their due.

Same here. I find it to be a very chill album. The verses in "Still Surfin" seem to go on forever, and "Summer Of Love" is... well.. "Summer Of Love". Other than that I really dig the tropical feel of the album. Must've fit the era perfectly.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »

50's too.

I don't know exactly what happened during those years of 91-94 but I know that Z100 the biggest top 40 station in the county flipped to a rock format, some bands got their video on MTV and could sell millions of album without any radio airplay.

Well, this thing called Music evolved, see.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

and he's never been the same since..
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

Mike gave an interview in Goldmine magazine promoting SIP, talking it up as the album that sounded like a proper album because it didn't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Sounded like he thought it was gonna be a commercial blockbuster. Unlike many fans, I enjoyed Kokomo and the new songs on Still Cruisin'; Mike's mistake was thinking "that song was a worldwide #1, so what the BB's need is an album full of Kokomo retreads". I always hoped that the group would take the momentum from a #1 record and create an album as artistically rewarding as BW88. You've got the attention of the whole world,potentially millions of new fans; instead, they put out a cobbled together, half hearted comp, then wait another 4 years to put out a truly new album, a glorfied Mike Love solo album. It's similar to how they blew their momentum in the 70's - the success of Endless Summer/Spirit of America puts them at the top of the charts again, anything they put out is gonna sell, so instead of another Holland/Surf's Up, we get a barely interested Brian being rushed into the studio to crank out 15 Big Ones...and they never have another top 10 album.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

I know.   I ruined him for everybody.

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »

Mike gave an interview in Goldmine magazine promoting SIP, talking it up as the album that sounded like a proper album because it didn't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Sounded like he thought it was gonna be a commercial blockbuster. Unlike many fans, I enjoyed Kokomo and the new songs on Still Cruisin'; Mike's mistake was thinking "that song was a worldwide #1, so what the BB's need is an album full of Kokomo retreads". I always hoped that the group would take the momentum from a #1 record and create an album as artistically rewarding as BW88. You've got the attention of the whole world,potentially millions of new fans; instead, they put out a cobbled together, half hearted comp, then wait another 4 years to put out a truly new album, a glorfied Mike Love solo album. It's similar to how they blew their momentum in the 70's - the success of Endless Summer/Spirit of America puts them at the top of the charts again, anything they put out is gonna sell, so instead of another Holland/Surf's Up, we get a barely interested Brian being rushed into the studio to crank out 15 Big Ones...and they never have another top 10 album.

I was just reading the Goldmine interview. Love comes off as a bit of a jerk, with his harping on "commerciality" again and again. However, Brian also comes off as a jerk, denying songwriting credits to Dr. Love.

Mike is a man of many contradictions - something that he puts down to being a pisces, but it really is just being human.

- B00ts
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »

Does anyone else remember the interview appearance on ABC's In Concert series where Mike mentioned he wanted the next Beach Boys album to be entitled Masterpiece?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

Mike's ego got insanely huge during the kokomo-SIP era.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

If he was on In Concert, I probably have it buried on an unlabeled VHS somewhere (lost to the ages now), I used to tape that show. The episode that stands out was Keith Richards and Hunter S. Thompson pranking each other and blowing stuff up.  Grin That, and Bowie's Tin Machine playing their discordant rock on an airstrip somewhere.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »

I know.   I ruined him for everybody.

yeah I heard he had a mental breakdown went into his room for 2 years and came out with a long beard..
oldsurferdude
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »

Close your eyes and lean back now, listen to this; it still is insanely huge. Razz
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »

Close your eyes and lean back now, listen to this; it still is insanely huge. Razz
Oldsurferdude, do you dislike Mike or something? I never knew! I am sensing less-than-good vibrations.

Seriously though, I also love how Mike Love credits his title change of "Endless Summer" with its resounding success. To be fair, the title is a lot better than a regular "greatest hits" style thing, but to say the title made all the difference is a pretty big leap in Logic.

- B00ts
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »

I seem to recall that in one of the concerts that I've heard (Mid 90's I think) before going into one of the SiP tracks, Mike comments on the poor sales of the album and mentions that the CDs are on sale at the venue
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »

If he was on In Concert, I probably have it buried on an unlabeled VHS somewhere (lost to the ages now), I used to tape that show. The episode that stands out was Keith Richards and Hunter S. Thompson pranking each other and blowing stuff up.  Grin That, and Bowie's Tin Machine playing their discordant rock on an airstrip somewhere.
Hanging out with Hunter S. Thompson was always crazy. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx