gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:53:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATED: I met with Alan Boyd last week  (Read 79412 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

California Feelin '74!

Cool.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:32:42 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »

"Where Is She"
"Burlesque"
"You're Riding High on the Music"
"Gimme Some Lovin'" 1972
"Flowers Come in the Spring" mid '70s Dennis solo remake

Those would be a good start  Grin
SBonilla
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

This thread embarrasssing. If I were the person being mentioned on a fanatic board, I would just invite the visitor to breakfast at Denny's on Sunsert and then get on with my day.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »

I would ask him where that "Good Vibrations" studio footage comes from that was used for the SMiLE podcast. Are these snippets that were used more or less all there is?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:42 PM »

Andrew:  Have you met Alan?

Sure, first time in 1983. Good friend, good person.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:38 AM »

Alan is one of the nicest and easiest-going people in the world.  He has zero pretension and is rumored to keep a cold one in the fridge if you happen to be stopping by  Grin.  Haven't seen him in ages since I seldom venture south of Monterey (isn't there a song like that?) these days.  So relax and enjoy your visit.  He's super nice and easy to talk with.  Tell him Gilroy Dave says 'hey'.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:32:05 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »

Thanks guys.  I arrived LA last night, and will keep you posted.

Above all, have fun and just enjoy the 'moments' with A. B.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:54 AM »

Yeah, hope you're having a nice trip anyway, don't worry about our obsessive tendencies  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »

... That early version of Little Pad - always been curious about that one!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »

Ask Mr. Boyd to contact bgas about getting his original acetate of the rejected single LP "In Concert" transferred properly.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »

Shouldn´t there be an update by now?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »

Pong and Alan entered the Capitol tape vault last tuesday.

They were never seen again..........
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »

How about an update on what transpired?  Questions answered and mysteries solved?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »

Sigh....

What we mean to say is, are you having a nice time in L.A, Ponghit?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »

...are you having a nice time in L.A, Ponghit?

Just got back to Philadelphia — it was an amazingly productive, hectic, and fun week in LA — and Alan is the greatest.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
rogerlancelot
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »

I think during a quiet moment I would have probably farted and then giggled. It might have made it slightly awkward but would have been a funny memory.

Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro
Edit: Needed more scrolling afros.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:44:49 PM by Eric » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:35 AM »

...are you having a nice time in L.A, Ponghit?

Just got back to Philadelphia — it was an amazingly productive, hectic, and fun week in LA — and Alan is the greatest.

Ah, you jammy sod - I wish I could go to L.A! Glad you had a good one.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

I'll try to summarize my BB-related experiences from my trip to LA last week:

Mr. Boyd had messaged me about the Al Jardine record release show at The Roxy on Tuesday night, so I first met Alan there, and was immediately struck by what a sweet, modest, and down-to-earth guy he is. I was with a friend of Alan's who also introduced me to Adam Marsland, Nelson Bragg, Domenic Priore, Mark London, and others.

Alan arranged for us to visit his house on Thursday evening, around 7pm. On the way, we stopped for Indian takeout for dinner. Alan has a cool pad, a cool cat — and there's a gecko living in his house! (Its surface looks like it's encrusted in coarse salt with pepper added.) We chatted while we ate, talked about our mutual interests and mutual friends. I gave him a stack of CDs I had brought for him, and he returned the favor (commercial releases, not CD-Rs).

My memory for details is inconsistent, partly due to flu medications, jet-lag, and lack o' sleep for 2 weeks (not sure I was a great conversationalist), but here are some tidbits I remember:

• Regarding the recently-uncovered GV footage — Alan arranged for it to be acquired when it was discovered — there are 2 silent reels — includes Dennis singing lead.

• Despite the seemingly complete/exhaustive nature of TSS, Alan believes a lot of master tapes have disappeared from the vaults over the years.

• Good news — the band currently seems to be getting along well, especially and notably Brian & Mike.

• Alan's impersonations are indeed hilarious, and eerily accurate! Not just the voices, but mannerisms too; the man is multi-talented.

Then he said had prepared an iTunes playlist for me, consisting of 86 tracks. After the paramedics arrived to resuscitate my ticker, I geeked-out with his headphones and iPad for... a couple hours, I guess. Here are some specifics from my memories:

I believe the dates ranged from circa 1963, the 'Audree tapes,' to 1996, the S&S sessions. Many tracks were familiar titles — things like "Little Bird" with BGV & track (no lead), vocal-only of "Time To Get Alone," and "We're Together Again" with strings — but also many completely unreleased titles. I think all eras were represented, including solo Mike.

"Live Again" is as great as rumored, but not a departure from Dennis's style of the period. "Cuddle Up"/"Old Movie" (2 different tracks/takes) is possibly even moodier and more dramatic/emotional than "Live Again." "Little Red Book" is very cool. "My Solution" is a funny oddity, experimental and interesting — but rough, and ultimately not a terribly important part of the canon; understandably unreleased. Dennis's "Ecology," however, while also experimental and rough, I thought it was of more consequence. Another very cool thing that I hadn't known about is Dennis & Carl's "Barnyard" (no connection to the SMILE tune?). I thought Brian's lead on the 1974 "California Feeling" sounded so odd that I wasn't even sure it was him — Carl's later retake sounds 'right' to my ears. There was an aborted "2,000 Years" string intro/overture for Dennis's "Friday Nights" that contained dated, sitar-sounding elements. Dennis's piano demo of "Be With Me" is a great fly-on-the wall moment. "All Day, All Night" was a highly-repetitive mediation that became "Whistle In." Alternate version of "Add Some Music" is very good, different lyrics. "Walkin'" and "Where Is She?" are SUNFLOWER outtakes. The "Caroline, No" BGV from S&S sessions were shockingly gorgeous, and have a "My Prayer" vibe. And I remember a few live tracks: "Please Let Me Wonder" (1965?), "All I Want To Do," and "Wild Honey" (1972-'73?).

Overall impression: this batch of material demonstrates, once again, the dynamic and diverse body of work our favorite band created. But it requires the painstaking efforts of people like Alan and Mark Linett to mine the archives for nuggets of gold — and I'm convinced they have the BB's integrity in mind; that's their motivation. (The ENDLESS HARMONY film and HAWTHORNE comp. being just 2 examples.)

More specifically, based on this collection, I'm guessing most of the best of the unreleased early/'golden era' material has already been tapped — of course, I'd love to be wrong about this presumption. Aficionados of the later periods (post-SMILE), however, have a lot to look forward to if/when these things see the light of day.

Apparently the music I heard is being potentially considered for a proposed archive compilation, because he asked me which of the tracks stand-out as things that should definitely be released. And Alan is aware of this forum, of course, and reads it occasionally, so our input might have an influence, to an extent.

By this point, Alan's friend was exhausted, and so was I, it was a long night, so we split at about 1am. Alan walked with us out to the car — invited me back next time I'm in LA — and, while in the street, 'performed' a snippet of Jan interviewing Brian; a sidesplitting and perfect ending to an unforgettable night.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PM by PongHit » Logged

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
SG7
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »

I remember his Bruce imitation at a convention I went to! :D
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »

Thanks a lot of sharing!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and I'm entirely jealous of it all!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »

I remember his Bruce imitation at a convention I went to! :D

Ah, he didn't do Bruce for me. I'd think that would be more challenging, more subtle.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and I'm entirely jealous of it all!

Surely was a fantastic time, and I'm very appreciative.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

Got to hear a lot of cool stuff... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx