gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681570 Posts in 27643 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 05:13:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1753428 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »

Any SMiLE news break over the weekend?

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

yes!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

LOL

You mean "welcome back", surely!

Great weekend - really enjoyed the box-set taster CD that came with the Sunday Sport here in the UK yesterday. 24 tracks of pure bliss, and with the board down there was nothing to interrupt my listening pleasure!     Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1778 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »

LOL

Yeah - they flew me to LA to advise on the track sequence. Which was cool.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1779 on: June 27, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »

I find it amazing how someone posts a photo of Brian at the piano and less than a week later we have a few exact places, dates, and possibly times for when the photo and film were shot!

First, I agree that the silent film from American Band came from Dennis rather than an Inside Pop outtake. It's a judgement call, but as far as I remember hearing, CBS shot Inside Pop with 3 cameras, and the silent footage seen in AB could be shot with one...and not only that, but we have the still shot of Dennis actually filming Brian in the same lighting and at the same angle as we see in the actual footage. I'd say that case is 99% closed short of new information.

Second...is there any way at all to track the background history and provenance of a photo like the one of Brian standing atop the car on Sunset Strip? That came from the Michael Ochs Archives, via Getty Images, but the caption and dating seems to be all f***ed up (as is pretty common at Getty...). So we have a photo of Brian like that where we can assume it's probably the same date as Jules Siegel's account of Brian at Columbia, but can anyone take it further and find out who took that shot, and whether or not there are more in the series?

It seems odd that there is only one photo like that available. Particularly if it came from Guy Webster, Bob Gordan, or whoever else was photographing during Smile.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1780 on: June 27, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »

It seems odd that there is only one photo like that available. Particularly if it came from Guy Webster, Bob Gordan, or whoever else was photographing during Smile.

Doesn't look pro-shot to me, more like a snap.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 27, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »

LOL

Yeah - they flew me to LA to advise on the track sequence. Which was cool.  Grin

Some respect at last!

I find it amazing how someone posts a photo of Brian at the piano and less than a week later we have a few exact places, dates, and possibly times for when the photo and film were shot!

Fandom at it's finest

At lot of unseen smile photos seems to be surfacing with the release of the box, more to come I would assume

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1782 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »

Doesn't look pro-shot to me, more like a snap.

I see that too, I'm wondering how such a seemingly random snapshot of Brian ended up with Michael Ochs Archives. Most of the others we see there came from a pro-shot series or assignments. I say "most" cautiously.

I'd love to track down more info on that shot in the hopes of finding more. And I'm also thinking THAT kind of photo is what I expected from MOJO and what I might hope appears in the box set packaging...rather than a photo from Munich or whatever else they threw in the stew for the magazine.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 27, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

Crap. When I couldn't access the forum this weekend, I considered the farfetched notion that perhaps a release date had been announced or a track list had been released, and that the traffic on the site was so great that it crashed. My hopes were crushed, however, when I signed on this morning to find no news whatsoever. I'm going to try and stay away for at least a week to keep myself sane.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:10 AM »

Crap. When I couldn't access the forum this weekend, I considered the farfetched notion that perhaps a release date had been announced or a track list had been released, and that the traffic on the site was so great that it crashed. My hopes were crushed, however, when I signed on this morning to find no news whatsoever. I'm going to try and stay away for at least a week to keep myself sane.

He he. I had the same fears too. It's something from puberty, I guess: suppose the whole world out there is having a party and you don't have access to it...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:24 AM »

I was the same – but quite relieved to find nowt had happened.

(awaits wry comment from bgas…)

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 28, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »

The wild card is this shot of Brian:

He's standing on a car across the street from a Mark C. Bloome tire store. According to Getty's caption, it's October 1966 in Gardena, CA. I don't believe that caption or date is accurate, but who am I except someone making a guess?

Notice he is wearing the exact same maroon shirt and white pants as he's wearing in the piano shot at Columbia.

Given that the tire store was directly across the street from the Columbia lot, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the accurate date for this photo is 12/15/66, taken at about midnight.

It's therefore probably a fair assumption (cf Siegel) that this pic was taken just before or after smoking that joint and getting into something quiet and positive on a nonverbal level.  Could these be Siegel's pics?

In other trivia - that's a celeste (almost certainly a Mustel) to Brian's right in the studio pic.  As used on Wind Chimes, and (perhaps - correct me if I'm bonk) nothing else on SMiLE.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »

The wild card is this shot of Brian:

He's standing on a car across the street from a Mark C. Bloome tire store. According to Getty's caption, it's October 1966 in Gardena, CA. I don't believe that caption or date is accurate, but who am I except someone making a guess?

Notice he is wearing the exact same maroon shirt and white pants as he's wearing in the piano shot at Columbia.

Given that the tire store was directly across the street from the Columbia lot, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the accurate date for this photo is 12/15/66, taken at about midnight.

It's therefore probably a fair assumption (cf Siegel) that this pic was taken just before or after smoking that joint and getting into something quiet and positive on a nonverbal level.  Could these be Siegel's pics?

In other trivia - that's a celeste (almost certainly a Mustel) to Brian's right in the studio pic.  As used on Wind Chimes, and (perhaps - correct me if I'm bonk) nothing else on SMiLE.

Great, great call on the celeste - I didn't pick up on that until your post! Again if this were 2002-3 I'd be able to recall which tracks featured a celeste, as it stands now though I can't remember and I *hope* someone chimes in with that info. They wouldn't have set it up in the studio like that if Brian were not going to play it at that session. It would be off in a corner next to the tack piano... Grin That's not saying Brian may not have tried the celeste on a track like Surf's Up before scrapping the idea, but knowing which tracks have a celeste could narrow down the dating of these photos even more.

Has anyone seen any other photos which look like they came from the same series as Brian on the car?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 29, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »

No news in the latest Mojo unfortunately. Was naively hoping review copies may have been sent out already, or at least something in the news section or an ad, but alas no. When we gonna get that tracklist, Capitol?!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 29, 2011, 05:48:32 AM »

No news in the latest Mojo unfortunately. Was naively hoping review copies may have been sent out already, or at least something in the news section or an ad, but alas no. When we gonna get that tracklist, Capitol?!!

I also searched it front to back but zip other than Brian's tale about She's Leaving Home, which was lucidly conveyed.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 29, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »

Jardine said that this boxset would be coming out in July (a month which starts in less than 48 hours).
Love said that this boxset would be coming out in August (a month which starts in less than 32 days).
Brian said.......well, nothing much.
Capitol said that this boxset would be coming out sometime this summer (which ends mid-september).

Point being: this box set was promised to come out sometime within the next 90 days and besides the press release (which came out FOUR months ago) there has been little (if any) official mention of this boxset. Just saying that if they want to make money off this thing they may want to start a little thing called 'promotion' very soon. (and I don't consider a poorly written Mojo article as promotion, either).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 29, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »

Jardine said that this boxset would be coming out in July (a month which starts in less than 48 hours).
Love said that this boxset would be coming out in August (a month which starts in less than 32 days).
Capitol said that this boxset would be coming out sometime this summer (which ends mid-september).

Point being: this box set was promised to come out sometime within the next 90 days and besides the press release (which came out FOUR months ago) there has been little (if any) official mention of this boxset. Just saying that if they want to make money off this thing they may want to start a little thing called 'promotion' very soon. (and I don't consider a poorly written Mojo article as promotion, either).

They are contemplating an excuse as to why the box won't appear at all. Unfortunately, they've run out of excuses altogether. They're hoping that we will forget the whole promise eventually.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1792 on: June 29, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »

They are contemplating an excuse as to why the box won't appear at all. Unfortunately, they've run out of excuses altogether. They're hoping that we will forget the whole promise eventually.

Forget what ?  Whatever!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:24 AM »

Let them take their time and get it right. If Craig's working on creds, Dom and VDP are writing contributions for the 60-page book and Alan and MArk are working on the blood & guts of the thing, I think there's enough credibility on board to ensure that it will come out.

And all the research that's being done by the good people on this board into pics that have "suddenly" appeared from nowhere… anyone else suspect that our honoured, more knowledgeable members and historians are being tapped for their expertise and research skills?   Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1794 on: June 29, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »

Let them take their time and get it right. If Craig's working on creds, Dom and VDP are writing contributions for the 60-page book and Alan and MArk are working on the blood & guts of the thing, I think there's enough credibility on board to ensure that it will come out.

And all the research that's being done by the good people on this board into pics that have "suddenly" appeared from nowhere… anyone else suspect that our honoured, more knowledgeable members and historians are being tapped for their expertise and research skills?   Grin

Dom we know of... but VDP ? I don't recall hearing that... which of course means I probably wasn't listening at the right time.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »

This is definitely the worst possible outcome we could of hoped for since the press release, no news in four months  LOL

But no need to worry, it's obviously coming out, just gotta wait some more

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 29, 2011, 07:09:51 AM »

And all the research that's being done by the good people on this board into pics that have "suddenly" appeared from nowhere… anyone else suspect that our honoured, more knowledgeable members and historians are being tapped for their expertise and research skills?   Grin

Dom we know of... but VDP ? I don't recall hearing that... which of course means I probably wasn't listening at the right time.

Someone reported on this board around the time of his recent gigs that he was due to write 1000 words… of course, they might have been joshing/mistaken/red-herringing* knowing this board!  Grin

* Copyright: Wee Helper's New English Grammaticals

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »

I definitely think it's coming out....I'm just a bit impatient is all.

Well, I guess since Capitol has a great track record for promotion there's no need to worry Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: June 29, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »

There may not have been another press release yet, but that doesn't mean there's been no ACTIVITY (or promotion) since mid-March (which was a little over 3 months ago, not four). In late April there was the RSD 78 of "H&V"/"Good Vibrations". In late May we had the flurry of interviews mentioning the project; and in June we had the MOJO 45 (which DOES count as "promotion") and even the articles (even poorly-written articles raise awareness in the public). So that's a little bit of promotion each month since March -- maybe not as much as WE'D like, but they haven't done NOTHING. (Also, as an aside, Capitol promised the set "this year" -- NOT "sometime this summer" -- so technically they have until the holiday buying season before we can all complain that they "lied" to us.)

With the betting money still on late September, my guess is that we'll get the next press release in early July -- possibly intentionally because Independence Day is a "Beach Boys" kind of holiday -- complete with release date, track list, and some sort of preview of the package art (SMiLE cover, dummy display of the deluxe set, etc.). Review copies (probably of only the 2-disc set) will go out in August, which means at least some of the tracks will hit the Internet the next day. If not, we'll start to get early reviews in late August. A preview "single" may be offered through iTunes or Amazon by late August / early September. Capitol may offer a track a week for streaming, or even give the entire "album" disc to NPR or Rolling Stone or other such sites by mid-September. By the end of that month, we'll all have the set in our sweaty little hands -- get those white gloves ready! -- and we'll look back and chuckle about how impatient we were in late June.

The world keeps spinning, Summer turns to Fall, and our lives will continue, hopefully a little better than they were before.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:24:47 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: June 29, 2011, 07:35:43 AM »

Hmm I see Mark's here – any clues to offer, Sir?!?!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx