gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 11:55:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1755516 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: June 20, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »

Bruce has stated on the BBB board at least once that he had a H&V acetate.

I've also read somewhere he had an acetate of "Surf's Up" featuring a full arrangement of the second part. Do somebody know more about it ? Was it from the original sessions or from the 71 remake ?

I fear that the SMiLE saga won't end with the release of that Jumbo Box Thing...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1651 on: June 20, 2011, 05:32:59 AM »

I've also read somewhere he had an acetate of "Surf's Up" featuring a full arrangement of the second part. Do somebody know more about it ? Was it from the original sessions or from the 71 remake ?

Might be on the box - who knows ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1652 on: June 20, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »

I fear that the SMiLE saga won't end with the release of that Jumbo Box Thing...

Of course not !  Smokin And that's what's great !

We were talking in PM with homeontherange about the possibility that some day, Capitol release the whole 37 + hours of sessions in HQ digital format (multitrack if available) plus every single vintage edit, acetate, sub-mix, etc. And build an official community around that.  Razz

With a forum and everything. People could pay for accessing the files and then work on their own assembly, share ideas, skills and knownlegde around the album, so it's "polymorphic" (a bit ala "open source" philosophy) ... As I said to homeontherange SMiLE has never been and will never be, SMiLE is you, me, everyone. Back in 66/67 and even without knowing it, Brian Wilson created: The first interactive album ever !
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:37:33 AM by JMZ » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: June 20, 2011, 06:17:22 AM »

I can state with certainty that if it is on the box, they'll have found it.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: June 20, 2011, 06:28:48 AM »

I can state with certainty that if it is on the box, they'll have found it.

Nobel Prize material.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1655 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »

I specifically think that some of the work on Smile that was done by Brian after Smiley Smile (which is not in sessions information, but that he told me he did, is what he is referring to when he said he wouldn't let that material be put on a Beach Boy album. Could be Friends, but I tend to think it was Wild Honey. If I remember some conversations with Steve Desper correctly (it's been years) he said that he and Brian had pulled out Smile tapes and worked on them after Smiley Smile came out.

Wasn't there a quote lately from Mark Linett which implied that a mix of OMP was performed in 1968? Or am I misremembering? That would fit this information from Peter Reum.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

I think Alan has talked about there being an edit of Omp and Barnshine but I assume it was an edit from 66. Would be cool of Brian had worked on Omp in 68.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: June 20, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »

I do like, though, how AGD likes to continually reference to the idea that a "hard pan" was done to isolate one of the channels. Um... it's the year 2011.  I think they can extract one of the stereo channels without fiddling without having to do any panning.  I know, you're thinking, well... "hard pan" is just  a silly term, it doesn't mean anything. BUT THIS IS HOW RUMORS GET STARTED.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »

I do like, though, how AGD likes to continually reference to the idea that a "hard pan" was done to isolate one of the channels. Um... it's the year 2011.  I think they can extract one of the stereo channels without fiddling without having to do any panning.  I know, you're thinking, well... "hard pan" is just  a silly term, it doesn't mean anything. BUT THIS IS HOW RUMORS GET STARTED.

That's just the way OLD techies talk.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1659 on: June 20, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »

I don't trade in rumors. Just advancing an idea. 'Hard pan' is my own term, meaning balance fully left, or right. Could have said "left channel", but I'm quirky like that: it's part of my charm.

Time will tell who is right, or more likely, closest to what is actually the case. Hopefully. It's definitely not a fold-down of the verse, my ears tell me it's not a remix (anywhere) just as they tell me there are some 2011 edits in there.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

Andrew, what about the 1/2 step pitch issue with Mike's coda vocal, per the Hoffman-ites? If true, wouldn't that mean that they flew in a different take for the mono coda?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

Andrew, what about the 1/2 step pitch issue with Mike's coda vocal, per the Hoffman-ites? If true, wouldn't that mean that they flew in a different take for the mono coda?

Dare I even ask?  What pitch issue?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: June 20, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »

Mal, at Hoffman, claims when Mike comes in with the Over and over, that Mike comes in 1/2 semi-tone higher than he should. All of the dog ears there seem to agree that somehow Mark screwed up the edit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:09:48 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »

Whose rips are they going on? Or do they all possess the vinyl? Desmondo's, though lovely, are a little slow on pitch, but i noticed it was a problem only on Wonderful....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: June 20, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »

Here  is the post from Mal at Hoffman:
Quote from: Mal;6667551
The single is off-centre on the "Cabin Essence" side :agree: I've heard 3 of these singles - all were warped, one was even more off-centre on the "Cabin Essence" side while the other didn't sound off-centre but was more badly warped.

On all three, "Wonderful" was centred properly with no audible wow or visible radial cartridge movement.

Still, I don't think the wow is resposnsible for the off-key sound of the edit on "Cabin Essence"...

I wondered that too at first (partly since Andrew mentioned it matching) which is why I thought I'd post the clip from the acetate - however, after listening a few times I've come to the conclusion that the acetate matches the others and only the new mono version has this problem.

It's not as if Mark doesn't have some previous in this regard - the circa 1987 edit for the intro of "God Only Knows" is flawed by not having the intro and the rest of the song running at the same speed. If you listen to the sleigh bells they not only change character at the edit but the pitch goes up slightly.

Then, in 2006 he redid the edit for the "40th Anniversary" edition of Pet Sounds and did an even worse job :shake:

So, I'm expecting the worst for the SMiLE Sessions - that way I'll hopefully be pleasantly surprised by some of it...

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: June 20, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

Here is a part of another quote from Mal:
On the 45 it sounds to me like the last part comes in at a pitch that's somewhere around half a semi-tone sharp - on all the other versions it stays in the same tuning.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: June 20, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »

Here  is the post from Mal at Hoffman:
Quote from: Mal;6667551
The single is off-centre on the "Cabin Essence" side :agree: I've heard 3 of these singles - all were warped, one was even more off-centre on the "Cabin Essence" side while the other didn't sound off-centre but was more badly warped.

On all three, "Wonderful" was centred properly with no audible wow or visible radial cartridge movement.

Still, I don't think the wow is resposnsible for the off-key sound of the edit on "Cabin Essence"...

I wondered that too at first (partly since Andrew mentioned it matching) which is why I thought I'd post the clip from the acetate - however, after listening a few times I've come to the conclusion that the acetate matches the others and only the new mono version has this problem.

It's not as if Mark doesn't have some previous in this regard - the circa 1987 edit for the intro of "God Only Knows" is flawed by not having the intro and the rest of the song running at the same speed. If you listen to the sleigh bells they not only change character at the edit but the pitch goes up slightly.

Then, in 2006 he redid the edit for the "40th Anniversary" edition of Pet Sounds and did an even worse job :shake:

So, I'm expecting the worst for the SMiLE Sessions - that way I'll hopefully be pleasantly surprised by some of it...

Here is a part of another quote from Mal:
On the 45 it sounds to me like the last part comes in at a pitch that's somewhere around half a semi-tone sharp - on all the other versions it stays in the same tuning.

Yeah, the Hoffmanites; they can't post anything negative in any way about anything done by Hoffman himself, so to curry favor and shine their lights, they disparage  the things that "Hoffman should have done".
 No way those threads will ever be deleted!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »

After listening to it, I do hear something weird there - not sure if it's just the way Mike is singing it or what.  I'm no audio expert so I really have no idea either way, but there is something just a little bit off on that first "over."  I never would have noticed otherwise, but they aren't just hearing things.
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: June 20, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »

why should we care? these mixes were approved by brian.  maybe his original intention was for mike to sing that part a little sharper? so i could give a shite about a hoffmanite
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: June 21, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »

I don't have dog ears, I'm no muso but I've listened to a helluva lot (too much) BB music over the last 35 years... and I don't hear any pitch problem.

And yeah, over on the Hoff it's very Blooish at time - Steve good/everyone else bad. Try mentioning missing Coral/RCA masters and see what happens. Someone even assumed that the Mojo 45 was mastered by Steve, apparently because it sounded so good.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1670 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »

We should settle things once and for all with a Celebrity Death Match...... Steve Hoffman vs. AGD. Who would win?

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »

Hadn't read that before. But Bruce has a sly sense of humour and sometimes it can be difficult to know which statements should be taken with a pinch o' salt.  If you have the quote and the source, a few folks here could give you the benefit of their edumacated speculationing!

“We live in divisive times.”
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »

Whose rips are they going on? Or do they all possess the vinyl? Desmondo's, though lovely, are a little slow on pitch, but i noticed it was a problem only on Wonderful....

Sorry  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Azn

Cheers

Richard
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: June 21, 2011, 02:05:58 AM »

We should settle things once and for all with a Celebrity Death Match...... Steve Hoffman vs. AGD. Who would win?

You would need celebrities for that Wink

...  'Hard pan' is my own term, meaning balance fully left, or right. Could have said "left channel", but I'm quirky like that: it's part of my charm.

I presume this came out wrong; 'hard panning' is a common sound technology term.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:10:02 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:41 AM »

You would need celebrities for that Wink

True, dat.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx