gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681553 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 01:58:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 [348] 349 350 351 352 353 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1752418 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: October 31, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »

:O 30 bucks for the two disc and you're still buying the box set?

PLUS.. I got the box for $110.. so I ended up with the box and 2-cd version for about as much as most people paid for just the box.
Best Halloween ever.  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #8676 on: October 31, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

Mine will be here tomorrow. Got the box and the seperate vinyl. I haven't said much so far on this but I will once I hear and read everything.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »

I wish to find more discussions! This place is dead!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8678 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

Seriously, did anyone here actually get their 5 or 2 CD sets at Best Buy or Wal Mart?  I stopped going to those stores because they simply never have what I'm looking for.

My guess none of these stores will stock it if it doesn't say "Garth Brooks".

Also, have you ever noticed that the people who shop at a Wal Mart look a little "off"?  You know.... Crazy?  Crazed?  I dunno......

You are not alone.  See this evidence:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: October 31, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »

Seriously, did anyone here actually get their 5 or 2 CD sets at Best Buy or Wal Mart?  I stopped going to those stores because they simply never have what I'm looking for.

My guess none of these stores will stock it if it doesn't say "Garth Brooks".

Also, have you ever noticed that the people who shop at a Wal Mart look a little "off"?  You know.... Crazy?  Crazed?  I dunno......

You are not alone.  See this evidence:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
Love that website LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: October 31, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »

I wish to find more discussions! This place is dead!

Most users online today: 207     

Is it really?  Grin

Plus it's Halloween

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8681 on: October 31, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »

Why on earth would you put Walmart in the same category as Target and Best Buy???
Not meaning to answer for T.R.B.B.......

But basically, insofar as music, Walmart, Best Buy and Target all suck equally.  When is the last time you found anything new release at any of these "outlets"?

Even the word "outlet" sounds scary!

I DEFY anyone on this board to find and buy a 5 CD set at any of these joints.  They simply don't stock music that that I am interested in.

I used to love Best Buy before cd sales started to plummet.  My local branch generally had a good selection of artists and decent pricing.  I still check in with them when something new comes out that I want from artists that are somewhat well known.  I scored the new Wilco, Ryan Adams and Rich Robinson (guitarist from the Black Crowes) albums there for $9.99 each.  For the most part though, since the industry has taken a dive, their selection has shrunk big time. 

My best bet these days is to pay a bit more at the local independent store or order online. 

Wal Mart isn't even an option.  No way any Wal Mart in the U.S. has the deluxe box.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: October 31, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »

I'm hoping my box gets here tomorrow...eventhough it will only be open on Xmas morning. There is a small mom and pop music shop here that has ordered the 2cd set but i don't think it has come in yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow.
I called every other place around that would possibly sell it only to be told that they aren't. The kid on the phone at Future Shop went to go see if it was in...he came back on the line and cheerfully said "We have their Christmas album!". Thanks for the help, buddy. I just want to hold a copy of SMiLE in my hands on the official release day.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:55:25 PM by BiNNS » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: October 31, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

My halloween party intervened, but sweet jesus. My american brethren, when this box hits your doormats you are going to go nuts, I swear.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: October 31, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

Just downloaded a vinyl rip, incredible..

But what a waste just putting those fantastic stereo mix's on the Vinyl version
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:24:17 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8685 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »

I'm listening to Van Halen in anticipation for hearing the set tomorrow.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: October 31, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

Well, here we are at 8:30pm and still no shipment confirmation. Worry is beginning to set in. It still says tomorrow for delivery, though.

Yep, just hit 8:30 for me and I'm still staring at "Shipping Soon" on my computer screen. Nerve-wracking.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »

Got my box set today, grabbed a six pack, turned off all the lights (which served a dual purpose, 1--successfully deterring the trick or treaters, and 2--setting the mood for SMiLE), put on my headphones and listened to disc 1 in its entirety.  I must say, even with the fly-ins and missing vocals on a few tracks, I believe this is THE definitive SMiLE.  I've argued on this board and in other places that BWPS was the finished SMiLE, but I am presently rethinking that idea.  I mean, BWPS is great and all that, but THIS is the real deal.  The sequencing and editing just flows, and the clarity of these mixes is almost beyond description.  I am not a big fan of mono, but the mix on this is so balanced, I didn't even give any thought to the lack of stereo separation.  I feel like for the first time ever, I really "get" SMiLE (and I've been listening to the boots and various mixes for years).

Btw, I didn't drink the whole 6-pack, just two beers--one for each "side".  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »

All of our "Shipping Soon" status' seemed to have occurred around the same time - right around the time when several here emailed/chatted with Amazon.

I know many are getting their boxsets now, and many are shipping out as the hours pass...but it makes me wonder if they did have a shortage, and just put "shipping soon" on everyone's order page to ease the amount of email flow to their 'help' department.

I have never seen the status 'shipping soon' this long on any order of mine. Just a thought.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »

Packaged arrived at Laurel, MD about half hour ago.

For me that means the next step is only one thing...out for delivery in the morning  Cheesy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »

I spoke too soon Grin - just shipped! And it should be here by Wednesday hopefully!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:17 PM »

Surfs up 67' done in a lower key and complete with that weird wild honey piano.

Is it in a lower key or a lower octave? Sounds like the same key to me.

seems to me to be about a halfstep lower, until "Surf's Up, mmhmmm mhmm" when it modulates up a half step, back to the key of the original demo.

I would guess the change in key isn't so much to do with the piano and more to do with Brian later calling the song a "piece of sh*t" and then saying he wasn't the right vocalist for the song.

Sad

Now, i wouldn't necessarily say that.  I'd liken it to something along the lines of the SS version of Wind Chimes, which ended up a half step lower than the original version. It's just a bit of a different vibe....in this case, a more "real" performance (and by real, i mean live) recorded all at once, as apposed to tracking the piano, and then double tracking the vocals like in the '66 demo.

Also, if he wanted to do that modulation at the end like that, maybe he'd rather it end in the original key, so he decided to modulate the first part of the song down, instead of the last part up.

It's amazing how a small key change can make a song sound so different.  The '67 version sounds more sad and lonely - of course, the single-tracked vocal and de-tuned piano help with that too, but the lower key makes an understated impact as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:35:02 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »

My box arrived this afternoon - it's been a busy day/night, but I'm midway through disc 3 now, and I'm still pretty stunned about the whole thing.  It still doesn't seem real.  Just the sound quality alone is such a fantastic thing, it's almost like hearing the music for the first time.  Even a lot of the stuff I've heard before sounds new to me.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »

Surfs up 67' done in a lower key and complete with that weird wild honey piano.

Is it in a lower key or a lower octave? Sounds like the same key to me.

The whole song is in a different key up until 2.30 where it goes back into the same key as the 66' version.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »

I spoke too soon Grin - just shipped! And it should be here by Wednesday hopefully!!

Mine shipped today but won't be here till the 7th of November (I'm in Australia) but I've downloaded a few of the  tracks from I tunes ,I just couldn't resist. Grin

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: October 31, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »

f***
Just got done with work, can't wait to wake up tomorrow.
I see there's no pitchfork review up. I wonder if they'll review it at all.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »

Pitchfork's review will be up in the next few days

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: October 31, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

Pitchfork's review will be up in the next few days

Shady, I am so so excited. I am freaking out.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »

Tracking:

Track your package          
Date   Time   Location   Event Details
31 Oct 2011   03:11:42 AM   Bam_Bridge Depot UK   Arrival Scan
30 Oct 2011   08:57:26 PM   Prime Sort UK   Arrival Scan
30 Oct 2011   12:00:00 AM   Web Customer UK   Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

So… not moved an inch for 17 hours.

Harrumph…

27 hours now. What kind of courier is amazon.uk using?

Harrumph...

“We live in divisive times.”
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8699 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »

Mine shipped today but won't be here till the 7th of November (I'm in Australia) but I've downloaded a few of the  tracks from I tunes ,I just couldn't resist. Grin

Same here, shipped today. Mine will arrive on the east coast on the 15th of November.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 [348] 349 350 351 352 353 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx