gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:29:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 58235 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

like you guys would ever sell these things. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »

like you guys would ever sell these things. 

I would. some things. 
Most will probably end up at some Goodwill store....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »

You can usually ger more for anything that's sealed.

Yeah??  Cool!!  I think I'm gonna re-seal the duplicate copies of my records and sell them on Ebay for top dollar. Don't tell anybody, K?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 20, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »

Yeah??  Cool!!  I think I'm gonna re-seal the duplicate copies of my records and sell them on Ebay for top dollar. Don't tell anybody, K?

You won't be alone in doing that.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »

I'm still curious where the notion that this release somehow sounded better got started. If it were cut with wide 78 grooves they may have a point but that isn't the case here.

Yeah It seems I have always heard that they were better. After looking around a little I read there is no noticeable difference between 78 and 45. I had turntables with the 78RPM speed back in the day, but never owned or attempted to play a 78 vinyl. I am not an expert on record cutting. I was looking at it from the buyer's perspective. When I saw the comment on that guy's site... "I just got this home and realized I couldn't play it!!!", I ask "why?"... I wasn't planning on picking up the record, but I wanted to know what it was and what was on it. I already have those versions of the songs, anyway... but I am actually really happy for all the Beach Boys fans that have been into this for a heck of a lot longer than I have.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »

well when stamps, coins, paintingss and figurines can do more than just sit on a shelf, let me know.

If you really don't care for records as collectable objects, if it's only about the music, than you might as well sell every CD and record you own and replace them with a hard drive full of MP3s...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »

well when stamps, coins, paintingss and figurines can do more than just sit on a shelf, let me know.

If you really don't care for records as collectable objects, if it's only about the music, than you might as well sell every CD and record you own and replace them with a hard drive full of MP3s...

...Amen. Ilove the smell of fresh vinyl, I love the experience of opening up a Beach Boys CD and reading the liners, looking at the pics. Now it's a daily occurence to daydream about opening the SMiLE sessions box set...  Transcendental Meditation
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »

Nah, mp3s sound terrible.  A hard drive full of flac ripped from green label vinyl would be awesome though.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »

What's Green Label vinyl, and why is it so amazing... please enlighten me!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Ebay has pretty much made it impossible to contact bidders before the end of the listing( listings that are not your own)
So I won't be able to say much until the listings end, at which time, I'll alert the winners( if I can figure out who they are) unless of course you have a built in commission for me... Wink

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

It was a Capitol budget-line reissue series.  By far the best sounding Beach Boys available.  A few caveats, they used the Duophonic tapes for Today and Summer Days (which are under the titles Dance, Dance, Dance and California Girls in this series) so those two are to be avoided.  Also, some of the pre-Pet Sounds albums are missing songs, which can be found on a separate green label compilation called Be True to Your School.

Catalog numbers with N are mono, SN stereo, and DN Duophonic.

N-16012 - Surfin' Safari
SN-16015 - Surfin' U.S.A
SN-16014 - Surfer Girl
SN-16013 - Little Deuce Coupe
SN-16018 - Fun, Fun, Fun (Shut Down Vol 2)
SN-16016 - All Summer Long
SN-16154 - Beach Boys' Concert
DN-16019 - Dance, Dance, Dance
DN-16017 - California Girls
N-16272 - Beach Boys' Party!
N-16156 - Pet Sounds
N-16158 - Smiley Smile
N-16159 - Wild Honey
SN-16157 - Friends
SN-16155 - 20/20
SN-16134 - Live in London 1969
N-16273 - Be True to Your School

Here's an example of this series: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-BEACH-BOYS-CONCERT-LP-CAPITOL-NM-/110675856884?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item19c4cb8df4

Note the "A Capitol Value" sticker on the cover.  This is an easy way to spot one if it's still sealed and the seller doesn't list a catalog number.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

Surfin’ Safari – California Girls were re-issued by Capitol in 1979. '64 Concert – Live In London albums were re-issued in 1980. Exceptions were Be True to Your School & Party! which were re-issued in 1982.

The above vinyl albums had a DARK green Capitol label (not to be confused with the lime green Capitol label issued in 1970).  Sonic quality varied between albums.  

For me, the Beach Boys Japanese Pastmasters Series, released in 1989, are the best sound quality for these albums. Although they are CD's, they are superior to vinyl releases of the individual Beach Boys albums (with maybe the Pet Sounds DCC).  Just my opinion!

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=239242
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:24:42 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »

I think the Pastmasters are great.  Definitely the best option on cd and probably the best option for Today/Summer Days period (though they have their own set of problems).  But unless your cd player is considerably higher quality than your record player I think the green label records do sound better.

Agreed about the DCC Pet Sounds.  That one is killer!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

Since this limey is in the USA (albeit Arkansas).......I managed to pick up the Good Vibrations/Heroes & Villains 78's. Quite impressed with the look and feel of them for $11.99 but I shan't be able to listen until I am back in England. And yes, of course I opened them. They are NOT an investment for me, they are to enjoy.

Love the inscriptions in the lead-out....lyrics from Barnyard. Side a "Jump in the pig pen" Side B "Next time I'll take my shoes off" Side C "Hit the dirt, do two and a half" Side D "Next time I'll leave my hat off"

Nice thick card sleeve, nice thick paper inners and the vinyl looks and smells good. In theory vinyl 78's should sound fantastic.

As an aside, several other records of interest that I could have bought but didn't.....an audiophile edition of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on two 12" 45s for $44.99 - must be the best sounding ever...as well as the regular LP. And Pet Sounds brand new.

Now, when I get home the Garrard is coming out of the loft....seeing as the Systemdek only does 45 and 33...
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »

A few caveats, they used the Duophonic tapes for Today and Summer Days (which are under the titles Dance, Dance, Dance and California Girls in this series) so those two are to be avoided. 

Interestingly, In The Back Of My Mind & Amusement Parks U.S.A. were issued in mono on the 1982 BTTYS compilation.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »

A few caveats, they used the Duophonic tapes for Today and Summer Days (which are under the titles Dance, Dance, Dance and California Girls in this series) so those two are to be avoided. 

Interestingly, In The Back Of My Mind & Amusement Parks U.S.A. were issued in mono on the 1982 BTTYS compilation.

Yep, I'm Bugged at My Old Man too.

Because it's just as important to randomly screw up cds as vinyl, this wackiness somehow led to the Pastmasters Summer Days using the duophonic versions of those two tracks.  Ah, Capitol...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »

People doing this very same thing can be a great opportunity to pick up bagfuls of albums at a great price. To each his own, but I wondered what some of the people I've bought discs and albums from would do if their hard drive were to fail. Since I now own their "master copies" and all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »

People doing this very same thing can be a great opportunity to pick up bagfuls of albums at a great price. To each his own, but I wondered what some of the people I've bought discs and albums from would do if their hard drive were to fail. Since I now own their "master copies" and all.

Just remember to always keep a hand-cranked victrola for when they shut off the electric

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »

This is why I bought a high-end external HD and have copies upon copies of my music on internal/external/dvds/etc.

I find most hard copies to be space-wasters....I'm a minimalist.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2011, 09:09:07 AM »

I enjoy owning records, but they are not bought for investment. I enjoy the whole 'ritual' of opening an album, smelling the card and the vinyl...admiring the artwork and placing the record on the platter....lowering the tonearm and then sitting back for around 20 minutes before turning it over.

Clicking a mouse isn't the same. Nor is the sound the same, even if you rip to WAV or FLAC direct from vinyl.

There is a difference between a collectable object and an object bought purely for the purpose of collecting it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »

There is a difference between a collectable object and an object bought purely for the purpose of collecting it.

Indeed. You may not be able to attain all collectable objects, but an object bought....

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »

Rumour has it that more copies of the 78 set are starting to filter into stores all across the world; so be sure to bid high for those copies already on ebay!!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »

Just remember to always keep a hand-cranked victrola for when they shut off the electric

I'm keeping a hand-cranked Victrola around to play next year's "Record Store Day" offering from the Beach Boys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »

Yep, I'm Bugged at My Old Man too.

Because it's just as important to randomly screw up cds as vinyl, this wackiness somehow led to the Pastmasters Summer Days using the duophonic versions of those two tracks.  Ah, Capitol...
Amusement Parks... and I'm Bugged... on the Pastmasters CD are a fold down of the duophonics. According to Steve Hoffman those two songs were stripped from the reel sent to Japan due to the 10 song reissue albums. When Japan informed Capitol of this, they sent the two duophonics instead of the original monos. In a panic Japan folded down the duos to mono. So, they really sound terrible. On a CDR, I replaced those two with the 1990 2-fer tracks, as both are close in volume and sound.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:11:57 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2011, 05:14:34 AM »

the postie greeted me with no. 7363 this morning! I am having amateur collectors angst - I can't play it, so do i open it? I just want to gawp at the pretty records and the leaflet and things.....

The videos Shady posted of Good Vibrations (he has also put H&V and the early take of GV on his channel, like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeYi0RA2_7A&feature=related ) from the 78 are actually played on a regular turntable, which he modified like so.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8fn2qtrxw&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_894649
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:37:54 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx