gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:08:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 57564 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »

Did they say this one was going to be a 5000 copy release? I know they did for the Don't Fight The Sea single but I don't recall seeing how many of the GV/H&V were being printed.

Huh, I heard 1000 for DFTS

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

From the eBay listing

"Limited numbered copies, this is #5473"

Don't know if they started at "0001" but they made it to 5473.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »

Did they say this one was going to be a 5000 copy release? I know they did for the Don't Fight The Sea single but I don't recall seeing how many of the GV/H&V were being printed.

I thought they said something like the first 1000 copies of DFTS are going to be printed on white vinyl and the rest will be a different color.

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »

I thought they said something like the first 1000 copies of DFTS are going to be printed on white vinyl and the rest will be a different color.
yes, that's what I heard. Does anyone think there are more than 1000 copies going to be needed? 

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 07:04:14 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/al-jardine-what-s-store-on-record-store-day?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Somebody please go and ask Al if any of their acetate material has made the box. Also the chance of an alternate mix of Heroes showing up on TSS. If anyone's going to spill the beans on this release, he's the man I reckon!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:05:11 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »

has anybody checked out the back cover of this release yet?

I just watched a video over on the Record Store Day website, and there was a 14 minute video of a guy going through and talking a little about all the releases, and at about 3:08 he pulls out the beach boys GV/H&V release and turns it around...

SMiLE.  Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/SnareSG50/Screenshot2011-04-14at105454AM.png

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »

I just watched a video over on the Record Store Day website, and there was a 14 minute video of a guy going through and talking a little about all the releases, and at about 3:08 he pulls out the beach boys GV/H&V release and turns it around...

SMiLE.  Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/SnareSG50/Screenshot2011-04-14at105454AM.png

Is that the Rubber Soul font? Maybe we can start the "Beatles stole SMiLE" argument again  Wink
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »

*Love* the "vocal group with theremin" line on the label...
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:39:34 AM by harveyw » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »

SMiLE.  Grin

It looks....beautiful

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »

... at about 3:08 he pulls out the beach boys GV/H&V release and turns it around...

SMiLE.  Grin

Look again -- SMILE is in all caps! None of that split-case stuff.  Grin

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »

What is it that fellow is holding in their left hand?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »

An RSD pamphlet, I think.

The question I ask you, dear Smilers, is whether or not I get up at stupid o'clock on saturday and go and buy one. My personal favourite shop is opening at 8AM.  They are expecting to do heavy business. I live 20 minutes walk away. I have no means to play a 78. Why am I so tempted?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »

An RSD pamphlet, I think.

The question I ask you, dear Smilers, is whether or not I get up at stupid o'clock on saturday and go and buy one. My personal favourite shop is opening at 8AM.  They are expecting to do heavy business. I live 20 minutes walk away. I have no means to play a 78. Why am I so tempted?  Grin

One part of me is tempted to get it because of the awesome mylar/Smile-font cover. However, the other part of me says that this is a marketing scam created by people that want my money so don't get it....and yeah, I can't even play the damn thing

I don't know which side to take at this point. Shocked

I'll probably end up skipping buying it - the same vinyl (only playable) will probably be included in the boxset anyway.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

y the damn thing[/i]. 

I don't know which side to take at this point. Shocked

I'll probably end up skipping buying it - the same vinyl (only playable) will probably be included in the boxset anyway.

Possibly. Possibly not.  Two assumptions there:

1 - that the "alt." versions are what we already have on the 2fers (granted, that's a very reasonable one)

2 - that the 45s in the box will be the same as the 78s. Purely on marketing grounds, I'd doubt that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:23 AM »

I'm thinking I might go to Berkeley on Saturday and pick up a copy of the Good Vibrations single and try to get it autographed by Al for my uncle's birthday.  Afro

No mas, por favor.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:18 AM »

I know it's been discussed earlier in the thread but I never did understand why it was on 78, but that's cool, I hear for the 60th they are releasing Adult/Child on recording wire....
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »

Possibly. Possibly not.  Two assumptions there:

1 - that the "alt." versions are what we already have on the 2fers (granted, that's a very reasonable one)

2 - that the 45s in the box will be the same as the 78s. Purely on marketing grounds, I'd doubt that.

You're right, we don't know either for sure, but I'd wager that no.1 is a 99.9% certainty based on the fact we've already seen these 78s on ebay, and nothing has leaked about 'new' alternate versions.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »

We've been programmed since childhood to want things we can't use and buy things we don't need. It's the genius of marketing. Witness a news report I saw last night about Apple's plans to release a "white iPhone". People who already own iPhones apparently will buy another fucking iPhone because they want a white one instead of their current color.

I say that because spending a few bills on a 78rpm Beach Boys release doesn't seem so frivolous in comparison to buying a phone you already own because the color is more fashionable.

I'm tempted too, BTW. Not to purchase the white iPhone but the 78's...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »

The following info from poster 'emkay' at the Hoffman board:

Got the Good Vibrations / Heroes and Villains double 78rpm.

There's a CD sized flier inside the sleeve that simply says SMILE Coming Soon.

Also, the runout groove of the 4 sides have quote from the "Barnyard" lyrics. Pretty neat.

So -- how many of you can actually play this platter? 

Not sure what the quote is but it's certainly intriguing!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

I wonder what he means by quote?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

I presume "out in the barnyard, the chickens do their number" or such like is inscribed on the runout groove but who knows. He could have put more info in the post!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »

I presume "out in the barnyard, the chickens do their number" or such like is inscribed on the runout groove but who knows. He could have put more info in the post!

Probably didn't know anymore; it came form the Hoffman board, after all. 

Just noticed that an Ebay seller has the 78 set listed as being one of 7000 Copies worldwide. 

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »

i may go pick one up. looks cool.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

Picking one up tomorrow if they have it in Tower Records Dublin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx