gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:10:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 57559 times)
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »

I was 10th in line in Tucson.......12 men, 3 women before opening....2 people discussing SMiLE.....2 copies on the shelf, gone in under 2 minutes....would have been quicker but it was farther back in the store.  I got #3969 for 12.99.

They were gone from the other Tucson store by the time I got there 20 minutes after opening.
Didn't manage to get one for my collector buddy who lives overseas...one to a customer. Did get a heap of sampler CDs for free.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

Waited in line for an hour (before they opened) at one store and managed to get copy number 6144, and then when to another store that opened an hour later than the first and managed to grab another copy (1638).  They look pretty.  I guess my record stores are a bit pricier.  One was $20 and the other was $18.  As soon as the kid goes down for a nap I am going to go to the basement and try to listen to it.  Any one know a decent way to transfer a usb 45 speed to 78 speed?
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »

There are a couple on ebay already, btw....
There seems to be quite a few on ebay...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »

i wonder where the back cover "SMiLE" came from (yes the "i" is lowercase).  for the curious, it says the art direction on it was by tom recchion
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »

There are a couple on ebay already, btw....
There seems to be quite a few on ebay...

I counted 56 on offer.      Ah, the entrepreneurial spirit.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »

Went to two independent record stores in Southern California.  One had 3 copies, the other 8.  Both charged USD $11.99.  But, when I put Good Vibes on my Wurlitzer 1015 78 rpm jukebox, I was really disappointed to discover that these new records were cut with standard LP microgrooves, and not the wider grooves traditionally found on 78 rpm records.  The result, when attempting to play the record on my jukebox, was that the wider stylus (about four times as wide as a normal stylus) would alternately skim across the top of the grooves, then settle into a groove and play the music for awhile, then pop out and skim, then pop back in, repeating the process.  And, when the stylus did settle into the grooves, it would dig into the top portion of the vinyl grooves, leaving a black powdery residue on top of the playing surface.

In addition to the Barnyard lyrics in the run-out grooves, on the classic Capitol 78 rpm era label for Good Vibrations is the notation "Vocal Group with Theremin", a cool design element which is reminiscent of the info often found on the labels of old 78's, like "Foxtrot", "Piano Solo with vocal", etc.

As I was typing this I got a call from a friend who attended Al's Record Store Day performance at Amoeba Records in Berkley.  He said Al opened with Vegetables, did a lot of talking about the music between songs, played parts of Heroes and Villains, Don't Fight the Sea, and, by request from a member of the audience, part of Lookin at Tomorrow.  He also autographed copies of the white vinyl with red label single of Don't Fight the Sea and Friends a capella, which went for $20 with proceeds going to Japan relief efforts.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:40:01 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »

I was at Amoeba Records in Berkeley this morning.  Didn't get there in time to get a 10" vinyl (Damn!) but got the white vinyl single signed by Al. Cool impromtu little 3-song concert. *In my best Bob Eucker voice* - I must be in the front row! The highlight was definitely "Lookin' At Tomorrow"!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:34:39 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »

more details mikie plz thx k
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »

I was at Amoeba Records in Berkeley this morning.  Didn't get there in time to get a 10" vinyl (Damn!) but got the white vinyl single signed by Al. Cool impromtu little 3-song concert. *In my best Bob Eucker voice* - I must be in the front row! The highlight was definitely "Lookin' At Tomorow"!

Did he say anything about the Smile box???
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »

Just put a bid down on ebay for a Vinyl.

I refuse to pay 80 bucks though, damn touts.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

Al said there's definitely something in the works for a Beach Boys reunion this year, but he can't say anything more.

They are shooting for a July time frame for the Smile Box.  He says there's going to be some surprises on it.

I asked him about crawling on the floor making animal noises and he laughed and said he remembered it well!

He said Van Dyke Parks is a great songwriter, a great musician, and a great guy.  Jokingly said that Van Dyke and Brian "must have been on acid when they did Heroes (or was it Vegetables).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

Al said there's definitely something in the works for a Beach Boys reunion this year, but he can't say anything more.

They are shooting for a July time frame for the Smile Box.  He says there's going to be some surprises on it.

I asked him about crawling on the floor making animal noises and he laughed and said he remembered it well!

He said Van Dyke Parks is a great songwriter, a great musician, and a great guy.  Jokingly said that Van Dyke and Brian "must have been on acid when they did Heroes (or was it Vegetables).

Great stuff!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

Don't let Bill or Fishmonk see that, we'll never hear the end of it  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

Dudes and dudettes, I'm so siked for this boxset, I can hardly contain my joy. Everyday I torture my girlfriend with thoughts of this amazing, joyous occasion. I was mad/sad when I was unable to purchase the 78 today- turns out only two were available at the record store near me, and some dorks bought them already- probably the ones selling on E-Bay, not real fans...oh well.

I will take off of work if I have to to make sure I get this set on the release day. If it's on a Tuesday that won't be a problem. After a self-imposed SMiLE! exile, this music is going to provide me with pure aural pleasure...if you catch my drift.  Shocked

I wonder what the surprises are...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »

You're right, Hype!  I was thinking of you guys when I was there.  Knew if I asked Al about Zen in relation to SMiLE, the fans there would have booted my ass to the back of the line!   Grin

Talked to some old Bay Area fans there; Panaiotis and Mutedtrumpeterswan (he's the one who requested "Lookin' At Tomorrow") who post here sometimes as Al was about to end the thing. Les Chan couldn't make it I guess. Les? Where were you?

Al's son Adam showed up late but didn't contribute.  Al was looking for some counterpoint and harmony parts for "Don't Fight The Sea" but just winged it on his own.  Said Brian and Mike recorded and "flew in" the parts for the version of the song for his solo album. Al had trouble hitting the high notes, but he's forgiven at what, 68 years old? He was VERY positive and upbeat, very comfortable, and told a couple of good stories.

There were 3 or 4 guys there with pro cameras and others with cell phones taking pictures, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Berkeley and/or San Francisco gigs today are on YouTube or Al's Facebook thing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:56:38 PM by Mikie » Logged

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »

Mikie,

Did Al have is whole band there? Was Bobby Figueroa there? I noticed he is touring in Al's band.

Thanks!

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »

No, he was there by himself. Adam came later, but didn't do anything but smile. Al played the first half of Vegetables on a Ukelele, the second half on an acoustic geetar. Spent a lot of time trying to mic the Uke so it could be heard, so there was some stop and go's and a gap while he changed between instruments. He sang the "candy bar wrapper" lyrics in Vegetables, which was cool. I saw a LOT of autographs from well-known band members on that acoustic, so I'm sure he's auctioning it off, along with the white-vinyled singles with 4 BB autographs on it, which I never saw.

There might be more band members playing with him in S.F. today, as I heard that he rehearsed at Red Barn last night.  Another gig is coming up for Al at a music festival in Big Sur in mid-May.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:01:08 PM by Mikie » Logged

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »

No, he was there by himself. Adam came later, but didn't do anything but smile. Al played the first half of Vegetables on a Ukelele, the second half on an acoustic geetar. Spent a lot of time trying to mic the Uke so it could be heard, so there was some stop and go's and a gap while he changed between instruments. He sang the "candy bar wrapper" lyrics in Vegetables, which was cool. I saw a LOT of autographs from well-known band members on that acoustic, so I'm sure he's auctioning it off, along with the white-vinyled singles with 4 BB autographs on it, which I never saw.

There might be more band members playing with him in S.F. today, as I heard that he rehearsed at Red Barn last night.  Another gig is coming up for Al at a music festival in Big Sur in mid-May.

Ok thanks.. hope a vid shows up... it's weird looking at Al's Tour Schedule, he has only 6 gigs listed.
One more question: Did you or anyone ask about the Worms acetate?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

I asked someone who knows an insider working on the project about the Durrie Parks acetates and if they exist, that's all.  The answer was neither yay or nay!   Cry

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »

I asked someone who knows an insider working on the project about the Durrie Parks acetates and if they exist, that's all.  The answer was neither yay or nay!   Cry

Have to wait and see I guess...

Great question!, btw            baaaaaa Head Spin mooooooo

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »

Thanks for the updates from Berkeley, Mikie.

The imagination starts to run a bit when I hear that Al is promising "some surprises."   The dream, of course, is that the Smile box will contain some previously unheard gems that will just blow us all away, but trying to keep my expectations in check and not get my hopes up.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »

Even though I missed out on getting one  Undecided It was awesome seeing the beach boys sell so fast all over the world.

Now with smile "coming soon", things could not be better. Great times to be a Beach Boys fan  Rock! Kool-Aid Man Drinking Buddies Listening

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2011, 08:08:11 PM »

Is Red Barn in SF?  I heard that he was practicing in a studio in SF for the show in Japantown he did today. 
Wish I lived there( at times) so I could get in on these shows!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »

OH yeah. Meant to mention. Went to a store late today, and they had a copy of the 78's for me.  WOOHOO!!!!! 
Plus, I got to see the re-formed Skeletons play a short set which included:"How She Boogalooed It"( A Bobby Lloyd Hicks favorite)
Loved it. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »

My husband and I left for our spring break vacation early this morning, and we knew we wouldn't have time to go to any shops in our area to find the single.  My mother, who lives 1000 miles away, offered to check a shop near her.  Fortunately, she got it!  However, I'm going to have to wait until I visit her in July to get it; I don't want her to ship it and risk something happening to it in transit.  I'm so glad I kept my dad's old record player (circa 1970), which plays 33, 45, 78...and 16!  Has anyone ever seen a 16 RPM record?

Since I won't be seeing my copy for 3 months, could someone please post a photo of the "smile" on the back cover?  I'm curious to see what it looks like.  Thank you!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx