gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681557 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 07:02:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 192838 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 11, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »

The Hoffman board is making very interesting reading - hardly anyone is buying his explanations.

LOL

Steve Hoffman says: "But you people put the project in serious jeopardy. Next time should I just say nothing and let you sink it?"

Thud

Who knew that a bunch of fans chattering on a messageboard had the ability to "sink" a Beach Boys project?  Too bad the internet wasn't around when the BBs decided to cover Wipeout with the Fat Boys.

Brilliant

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »

The Hoffman board is making very interesting reading - hardly anyone is buying his explanations.

LOL

Steve Hoffman says: "But you people put the project in serious jeopardy. Next time should I just say nothing and let you sink it?"

Thud

Who knew that a bunch of fans chattering on a messageboard had the ability to "sink" a Beach Boys project?  Too bad the internet wasn't around when the BBs decided to cover Wipeout with the Fat Boys.

Brilliant

Very funny.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1002 on: March 11, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »

You know what really floats my boat ? That in xx weeks, I can hold an officially sanctioned release of Smile in my hands and stare at it. Maybe even stroke it a little. That, my friends, is what rings my bell.

Surprise - all my Smile Sessions-related posts just got wiped from the Hoffman board.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »

You know what really floats my boat ? That in xx weeks, I can hold an officially sanctioned release of Smile in my hands and stare at it. Maybe even stroke it a little. That, my friends, is what rings my bell.

Surprise - all my Smile Sessions-related posts just got wiped from the Hoffman board.

Another board another ban lol

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 11, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 11, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »

Back to the topic at hand.  I find it amazing that there is no 'official' confirmation of Smile.

If it was legit, you'd think they'd want a big buzz building on this (though based on my marketing skills, I'm a idiot).

To those doubters,it sounds like AGD feels strongly that this is happening; so I'd bet on it.

Guess Capitol Records read my post.  LOL  Well, they probably read AGD's posts.

And you Al Jardine naysayers owe him an apology I think.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Paulos
« Reply #1006 on: March 11, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »

When reading the link confirming the release I started to well up, this is the best news ever! Rock! w00t! High Five
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1007 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

Fantastic news !!

Now the question: Will they tour behind the album ?  Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 11, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

Nope, you guys can always argue about whether they got the sequencing right, etc..

I hope Dom Priore has nothing to do with the sequencing.
Well, before the 2004 re-recorded "Smile", Mr.Priore's running order was considered by many to be definitive, and as for the running order advised in the 2nd edition of the "Look Listen Vibrate Smile" book, Priore CLAIMED that he consulted with Brian Wilson & Carol Kaye.

Carole put River Deep Mountain High right after Prayer... (did you know she played bass on Prayer?)  Wink

Yup, I knew that.  She also played bass on "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass, "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney, and "Give it Away" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Also, she was the orginal bassist for Journey.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 11, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »

What set Steve Hoffman off?  Anyone willing to share the 'Reader's Digest' version of what transpired? 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: March 11, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »

What set Steve Hoffman off?  Anyone willing to share the 'Reader's Digest' version of what transpired? 

Basically, he 'explained' why he'd said the project wasn't happening - because he'd been told to by Capitol, otherwise they'd pull the plug because fans were pestering them (seriously) - and most of the posters in the thread found that less than believable. I put forward, politely, my understanding of events, which centered on Alan's clanger and retraction. I guess some folk don't like to be contradicted.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 11, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »

Basically, he 'explained' why he'd said the project wasn't happening - because he'd been told to by Capitol, otherwise they'd pull the plug because fans were pestering them (seriously) - and most of the posters in the thread found that less than believable. I put forward, politely, my understanding of events, which centered on Alan's clanger and retraction. I guess some folk don't like to be contradicted.

I'm fairly certain that the entire thread has now been deleted - I just tried accessing the page through my web history and got a "You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page" line.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »

Phil says that's SOP - you don't toe the party line, you get banned.

And yes, you're right - the whole 15+ page thread has gone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:09:33 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 11, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »

What a lousy forum.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 11, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »

Who cares about Steve Hoffman?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 11, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »

That was a really interesting thread, a two parter actually.

Was only half way through it. What a f*** head

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 11, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »

Question, what if they claim to only use the original SMiLE sessions, does that mean they won't use the finished vocals to "Cabin Essence"? Which version of "Heroes And Villains"? How about "Surf's Up"? Do they use the '71 version or possibly use the demo to put together a composite '66/'67 version? Personally, however they wanna do it is fine with me. I mean, obviously they will probably rope in the 20/20 version of "Cabinessence" but I do wonder about how they will handle "Heroes" and "Surf's Up".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 11, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »

Question, what if they claim to only use the original SMiLE sessions, does that mean they won't use the finished vocals to "Cabin Essence"? Which version of "Heroes And Villains"? How about "Surf's Up"? Do they use the '71 version or possibly use the demo to put together a composite '66/'67 version? Personally, however they wanna do it is fine with me. I mean, obviously they will probably rope in the 20/20 version of "Cabinessence" but I do wonder about how they will handle "Heroes" and "Surf's Up".

We've all been wondering this.
Only time will tell.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 11, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

I assume the statement regarding the approximation of the album appearing on three sides of vinyl means it will replicate the three movements of BWPS.

Not necessarily.  They may be spreading whatever tracks they're using over three sides for better fidelity.   The more you cram on a vinyl side, the worse it sounds. (Check out Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard, A True Star as a perfect example.)

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

Hoffman lied?  Geez, what else does he lie about?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 11, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »

Well i guess my mate that told me what was going on was right!! Yey us!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:52:07 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 11, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

Fantastic news !!

Now the question: Will they tour behind the album ?  Cheesy

The Beach Boys most anticipated album and 40 years late. Going by the bands history? A bunt, although a 'Beach Boys SMiLE Live' would be a home run!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:43:11 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: March 11, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »

I tell you what, I feel good now about SMILE being vindicated, that is, in a prepared official statement.  I went on the blueboard last month, and it seemed like I was fighting tooth & nail with some of the members about my interview with Al being false or poorly researched.  Just hope they can get it out soon.

Would SMILE have a chance of charting on the Billboard 200?  Maybe this is completely wrong, but I'm thinking with it being an archival release, it would have to make a specific chart.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »

Here's a new interview with ML:

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/beach-boys-engineer-talks-about-the-smile-1005071622.story
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »

I tell you what, I feel good now about SMILE being vindicated, that is, in a prepared official statement.  I went on the blueboard last month, and it seemed like I was fighting tooth & nail with some of the members about my interview with Al being false or poorly researched.  Just hope they can get it out soon.

Would SMILE have a chance of charting on the Billboard 200?  Maybe this is completely wrong, but I'm thinking with it being an archival release, it would have to make a specific chart.

37 pages here before a official announcement! We had the faith. Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx