gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:12:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191128 times)
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

I've never been so excited to see a font in my life.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

that is indeed the SMiLE font. and it is indeed EXCiTiNG!!!

also... "Little Pad" and "Tones" are way too similar to be unrelated.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »

Here the direct comparison

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Are we to assume that the two alternate versions are the ones that we've already had?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 22, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »

Are we to assume that the two alternate versions are the ones that we've already had?

I think they're top secret never before heard by anyone versions!  
Else why would Capitol release them?    Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:21:06 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »

I'm guessing we get Brian's GV demo and the Cantina mix of Heroes.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:24:54 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

Reasonable guess.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »

The fact that they're "Early Take" and "Alternate Take" seem to indicate they are the same ones on the Smiley Smile twofer.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »

I understand there is no standard font for that lettering like Pet Sounds is Cooper Black, it was either Frank Holmes or Capitol artists who drew it up for the cover. Maybe a graphic artist can chime in here.

"Font" and "Typeface" are misnomers, probably the best term for what Smile had is "logotype".  If you look at the lettering, identical letters have none identical designs.  The B in BEACH and the B in BOYS don't match.  Looking at the "Good Vibrations Good Vibrations Good Vibrations" I think there are three different styles of the letter O, too.  Also, the spacing of the letters just wouldn't be practical for a one-size-fits-all typeface.

The lower case "i" was like that purely because someone thought it looked nice. That's all.

Aw gee, does that mean we don't have to call that song "Good VibrAtioNs", either?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:23:17 PM by Tilt Araiza » Logged
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

I understand there is no standard font for that lettering like Pet Sounds is Cooper Black, it was either Frank Holmes or Capitol artists who drew it up for the cover. Maybe a graphic artist can chime in here.

"Font" and "Typeface" are misnomers, probably the best term for what Smile had is "logotype".  If you look at the lettering, identical letters have none identical designs.  The B in BEACH and the B in BOYS don't match.  Looking at the "Good Vibrations Good Vibrations Good Vibrations" I think there are three different styles of the letter O, too.  Also, the spacing of the letters just wouldn't be practical for a one-size-fits-all typeface.

The lower case "i" was like that purely because someone thought it looked nice. That's all.

Aw gee, does that mean we don't have to call that song "Good VibrAtioNs", either?

Not sure if it's still there, but at one point there was a downloadable font on the "ProjectSmile" yahoo group page that bore a close resemblance to the "SMiLE" type.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »

There was once a font called Monkey Chunks that was close. However, there are several fonts out there by the same name, so be aware when searching for it.

Tilt Arazia, do you think the original Smile logotype was set on a Phototypositor or hand-drawn?  LOL I'm leaning towards hand-drawn. Grin

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:48:16 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »

...well, they both include slide guitar, however the chords, melody, and structure of the song are completely different, so I'd guess that they're pretty much unrelated.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »

...well, they both include slide guitar, however the chords, melody, and structure of the song are completely different, so I'd guess that they're pretty much unrelated.

I think there's much more of a resemblance between Little Pad and the so-called "country western" unused H&V section.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »

Superunison-

try humming the melody of "Little Pad" over top of "Tones/Tune X" ...when i say the melody, i mean the "doot-do-doots" (is that Al?) right after the steel guitar slide and the snapping fingers. different keys but it's basically the same song.

I didn't make this discovery, but it's unmistakable.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »

Superunison-

try humming the melody of "Little Pad" over top of "Tones/Tune X" ...when i say the melody, i mean the "doot-do-doots" (is that Al?)

It's Carl.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »

Bossaroo - I reme er reading about the similarities and that someone actually recorded a version comining pad and tones. I can hear it but not totally sold on it not just being a coincidence - especiially as it is apparently a Carl tune.

To the poster who pointed out thesimilarity between pad and western theme - I nver noticed it but there are similarities. Might be that little pad grew out of western theme (via Hawaiian song) and is thus an another offspring of heroes. Fascinating. Really makes me want to hear this Hawaiian song.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:22 AM »

Here the direct comparison

...which is all very nice... but who here can actually play 78rpms in 2011 A.D.?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:35 AM »

...which is all very nice... but who here can actually play 78rpms in 2011 A.D.?

It is rather disappointing and we'll have to hope that a simultaneous release on CD is issued, if we want to hear the differences, should there be any.

About 25 years ago I bought a CD player just to hear a SMiLE boot; 2004 I bought 5.1 DVD/HDCD/DVD-A player to appreciate Pet Sounds DVD-A; recently bought a Blu-Ray player to listen to NY Archives Vol 1; now we're being treated to a product that was high-tech in 1925.

I think I'll have to pass on this one...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:29:39 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »

It is rather disappointing and we'll have to home that a simultaneous release on CD is issued, if we want to hear the differences, should there be any.

About 25 years ago I bought a CD player just to hear a SMiLE boot; 2004 I bought 5.1 DVD/HDCD/DVD-A player to appreciate Pet Sounds DVD-A; recently bought a Blu-Ray player to listen to NY Archives Vol 1; now we're being treated to a product that was high-tech in 1925.

I think I'll have to pass on this one...

Wax cylinders, anyone?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
rogerlancelot
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »

I'm trying to get a list of comprehensive Smile material together. Here's what I have so far:

Official:
Smiley Smile / Wild Honey two-fer
Friends / 20-20 two-fer
Sunflower / Surf's Up two-fer
1993 Box Set
Endless Harmony
Hawthorne Blvd.

Unofficial:
Smile (Vigotone and other labels)
Secret Smile
SOT Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 15 - 17
Heroes And Villains Sessions Part 1 & 2
Heroes And Villains Sessions Vol. 2
Psychedelic Sounds
Heroes And Vibrations
Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 1
Journals 1 Vol. 4 - 6
Archaeology Discs 1 - 3
1988 Mark Linett Rough Mixes Compilation
A Pocket Symphony
The Sea Of Tunes Source Tape

Am I missing anything? I was considering making a box set for my own use in the car that was in chronological order. Of course I'm looking forward to any summer release but I just wanted something to tie me over until then.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 23, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »

you might find a few more here:
http://www.surfermoon.com/ (and go to the b00tleg section) or more directly: http://www.surfermoon.com/boots.shtml

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 23, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »

I thought the Carl false Barnyard was on Secret Smile, although I may be wrong on that.

I think (going from memory, as always, and it'll probably be wrong as it usually is) that it first surfaced on Long Lost Surf Songs... was it Vol 3? ...
Unfortunately the disc is locked away in a temporary box room while the decorators have-at the living room.

Vol 2

rogerlancelot
« Reply #747 on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »

I thought the Carl false Barnyard was on Secret Smile, although I may be wrong on that.

I think (going from memory, as always, and it'll probably be wrong as it usually is) that it first surfaced on Long Lost Surf Songs... was it Vol 3? ...
Unfortunately the disc is locked away in a temporary box room while the decorators have-at the living room.

Vol 2

I just checked. "Barnshine" is on LLS3. A session with the Carl false Barnyard is on H & V Sessions V2 but without the music bits.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »

Ah... I still haven't dug up my own copy (what I don't have) -  was going via the surfermoon boot site.

Apols!

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »

I combined Little Pad and Tones. Tones sounds pretty low and muddy as it was pitch-adjusted, but you can hear it here:

EDIT - NO POSTING LINKS TO BOOTLEGS, COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE MATERIAL, OR COMBINATIONS OF BOTH. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPREHENSION.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:34:15 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx