gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:34:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191043 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #450 on: February 15, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »

As it turns out, Al Jardine perpetrated a hoax, and he has now retracted it.  "Smile" fans, here's something to cheer you up. Check out www.bigozine2.com(at least for the next week)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:43:23 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »

Typical.

Al, of all people (apart from Mike, Brian, Bruce, Alan Boyd, Mark Linett...and most serious Beach Boys fans), should know that the original SMiLE could not possibly be presented as a completed album. This "well, I guess it won't come out because there are still things that need to be recorded" is pure insanity and I can't believe the quotes are accurate.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:01:43 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

Well just as, we got confirmation that Boyd and Linett were indeed working on the tapes, hopefully we will get confirmation one way or the other regarding this project.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »

As it turns out, Al Jardine perpetrated a hoax, and he has now retracted it.  "Smile" fans, here's something to cheer you up. Check out www.bigozine2.com(at least for the next week)

are you referencing the Sweet Insanity article?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »

You want my take ?  Someone took him outside, shook him a little, maybe slapped him upside the head once or twice and told him "go and recant what you said, OK, and keep your damn mouth shut in future, and in the meantime we'll carry on as if you'd not said anything and get it ready."

That's my take.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »

He's referring to the SMiLE fan mix he has put together that can be found in the left-hand column about half-way down the page.

Phil - I didn't realize you wrote for ICE magazine; I surely miss that very fine publication!
PhilCohen
« Reply #456 on: February 15, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »

He's referring to the SMiLE fan mix he has put together that can be found in the left-hand column about half-way down the page.

Phil - I didn't realize you wrote for ICE magazine; I surely miss that very fine publication!

I was an information contributor for "ICE" for 13 years(1991-2004), though, in that time, I only wrote one actual article. "ICE" publisher Pete Howard now has a new business selling vintage concert posters & memorabilia.
PhilCohen
« Reply #457 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »

With fewer and fewer record stores in existence, and today's teenagers having no interest in buying music on a manufactured disc, the music industry is headed downhill towards extinction like a runaway locomotive. Those who are hoarding classic rock outtakes don't have much time left to market them. When even the notoriously anti-outtakes "Pink Floyd" are working on an outtakes project(and they are, according to drummer Nick Mason), the music industry's days are obviously numbered. The time to make money on 1960's & 1970's outtakes is now or never.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: February 15, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

Well, this is interesting news.  As I reported in the initial interview that got the SMILE debate going once again, it's coming out.  About a week ago I mentioned on here that Capitol Records told me they weren't comfortable in allowing Boyd/Linett to speak with me about any additional SMILE details.  

That is still true.  And yes, I'm still standing by the original story, as I didn't prompt Al about SMILE, he just said it when I mentioned  all the unreleased material still inside their vault.  I wanted to talk more, but he said he had to go.  What Andrew said about the higher ups getting mad with Al sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 15, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

With fewer and fewer record stores in existence, and today's teenagers having no interest in buying music on a manufactured disc, the music industry is headed downhill towards extinction like a runaway locomotive. Those who are hoarding classic rock outtakes don't have much time left to market them. When even the notoriously anti-outtakes "Pink Floyd" are working on an outtakes project(and they are, according to drummer Nick Mason), the music industry's days are obviously numbered. The time to make money on 1960's & 1970's outtakes is now or never.

Mr. Cohen, may I ask where you heard about this Floyd outtake project? I would love to see them FINALLY release "Vegetable Man", probably my favorite Syd/Pink Floyd song.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 15, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »

I agree with Andrew, it sounds like someone told Al to retract the statement, much like Mike was told to retract the statement that there was going to be a 50th year reunion tour, only to be followed up soon by a statement from all parties that there probably would be a 50th year reunion tour.  My guess is Al was correct with his first statement, and that plans are afoot to produce The Beach Boys' SMiLE this summer.  However, the powers that be don't want it known until they're good and ready to make an official statement.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:06 PM »

You want my take ?  Someone took him outside, shook him a little, maybe slapped him upside the head once or twice and told him "go and recant what you said, OK, and keep your damn mouth shut in future, and in the meantime we'll carry on as if you'd not said anything and get it ready."

That's my take.  Grin

Like Fredo Corleone from The Godfather.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 15, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

I smell Red Herring. Grin

I'll wait for the summer when any project, including a greatest hits package, is more likely. Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »

Mr. Cohen, may I ask where you heard about this Floyd outtake project? I would love to see them FINALLY release "Vegetable Man", probably my favorite Syd/Pink Floyd song.

Never understood why that and "Scream Thy Last Scream" weren't included on the latest Syd comp, at least as a bonus download.  Still, that's what YouTube's for.

PhilCohen
« Reply #464 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »

Nick Mason spoke about an archival project, albeit before Pink Floyd renewed their license to EMI for the group-owned recordings(1974 onward). He said that there were few unreleased tracks, but mentioned an alternate version of "Wish You Were Here" with violinist Stephane Grapelli(funny, he Is on the released version, albeit barely audible and uncredited). I'll look into it and find where the quote was. Mason described the project as the group's final physical product.
PhilCohen
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »

Never understood why that and "Scream Thy Last Scream" weren't included on the latest Syd comp, at least as a bonus download.  Still, that's what YouTube's for.
Answer: because although Syd wrote it, 90% of the lead vocal on "Scream Thy Last Scream" is by Nick Mason. Mason also did some of the singing on "Vegetable Man", and he apparently regrets his short-lived attempt to be a singer.
SG7
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »

Ugh... how many times have we been promised Smile  Roll Eyes

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 15, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »

Good lord indeed...

Recording new vocals on the original tracks would be blasphemy, I have no other word for it.

Yeah.  I think this is just a bit of damage control on Al's part, but if they do any new recording I am out on this.  No way.
SG7
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »

http://smilealbum.tripod.com/mikelovesmilelive.htm

PhilCohen
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

I had pretty much gotten burnt out on listening to "Smile", whether it is Brian's 2004 version or my homemade 2-CD compilation of The Beach Boys' 1966/67 versions, but I had recently resumed listening to "Smile" again, in the aftermath of the recent rumors; rumors that were ultimately a hoax. Now, the "Smile" discs go back onto the shelf.
                                        Despite the undeniable quality of songs such as "Good Vibrations", "Heroes & Villains", "Surf's Up" & "Caninessence", the truth is that Brian Wilson was never again able to, for an entire album, match the consistent quality of "Pet Sounds". In early 1967, while Brian was still struggling with "Heroes & Villains", he expressed the opinion(to an interviewer) that he was losing his talent. Well, of course, he wasn't losing his talent. There were numerous quality Brian Wilson songs scattered over various Beach Boys & Brian Wilson albums in the decades to come. But I think Brian realised, that with "Pet Sounds" & "Good Vibrations" that he had peaked. Even if "Smile" had been released back then, The Beatles(with their "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" & "Magical Mystery Tour" albums) were still going to leave Brian behind in the dust. Yes, The Beach Boys have gotten decades of mileage out of the "Smile" myth(to build hip credentials for a group that was previously considered "uncool"), but maybe, in our imaginations, we ourselves have hyped "Smile" up to be something better than it is.
                                         I am appalled that the surviving Beach Boys members continue to put their interpersonal hatreds first before the concept of treating the fans right. The latest chapter in this sorry saga(Al Jardine's announcement & retraction) leaves myself and many other fans downhearted.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 15, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »

Even if "Smile" had been released back then, The Beatles(with their "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" & "Magical Mystery Tour" albums) were still going to leave Brian behind in the dust.

Wait, are we on the Hoffman board here?!
PhilCohen
« Reply #471 on: February 15, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »

Even if "Smile" had been released back then, The Beatles(with their "Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" & "Magical Mystery Tour" albums) were still going to leave Brian behind in the dust.

No, (laughs): I'm a banished ex-Hoffman board member; banished back in 2009.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #472 on: February 15, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

I doubt that 'Magical Mystery Tour' would have helped leave Brian behind in the dust.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »

OK, I'm intrigued - what did you do/say ?

PhilCohen
« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2011, 02:29:35 PM »

OK, I'm intrigued - what did you do/say ?

I openly asked one of the Hoffman board censors why a post of mine had been deleted. I find great vindication and validation that people continue to participate in Hoffman board threads that I created, and/or that the forum's present-day members to continue to "import" (into the Hoffman forum) quotes from my participation on other forums(such as IMWAN). It confirms that I still have useful information, that I still have something to say that is worth saying.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx