gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:40:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track listing for new 2011 box set??  (Read 33092 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »

The Beach Boys/Capital will not receive another dime from me until they release a SMiLE box set.  If and when that glorious day comes, I'll buy one for myself and every friend and family member who will listen.  I'm not interested in anything else they may have in the vaults.  I think everything The Beach Boys did after Friends (with the exception of Love You and maybe half of Sunflower) is worthless, so to say I'm not interested in songs that were cut from those records would be an understatement.  I've also bought all their greatest hits about 20 times over, and won't be doing so again, even for new stereo mixes.

Amen, Amen...I will not say that everything afterwards is worthless by any stretch of the imagination, but we have scraped the bottom of the trash-heap and are left longing for the most creative music that not only the band recorded but IMO was ever recorded in this medium...we as fans have kept the flame alive and deserve this musical muse as a comfort, inspiration, and treat to share with all our compadres...bring the SMiLE box set and I"ll bring the $$$....
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »

...add to that the missing Inside Pop takes...  3D

Indeed - that is the Holy Grail of footage, even though some suggest the audio track is long gone and it's basically silent footage at this point. Maybe someone can update that since the info is from several years ago.

No way in hell anything like that will come out officially. Probably.

The other really interesting missing video is Brian's Sony Porta-Pak videotape reels from when he got a camera setup gifted from Sony and started recording the exploits of his Smile friends and collaborators in 66-67. There are no signs whatsoever that anything survived, best as I ever heard. The Porta-Pak rig was the first consumer-grade video recorder, but with open reels instead of VHS or Beta style cartridges. Apparently Charles Manson had one too, with Dennis involved. But that's rumor.

VDP got one at about the same time, apparently interviewing his friends. Including Brian.. wouldn't that be something to see!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 01:00:38 AM »

Does full visual footage for Lei'd in Hawaii exist? That would make a good release.

Here are some thoughts I saved about the L'eid in Hawaii footage from Alan Boyd:

The "Lei'd In Hawaii" material is definitely home movie footage, silent, shot on 16mm Kodachrome reversal stock. The scenes of Brian with the engineer (and the rest of the group and Marilyn, et al listening) must have been shot backstage at the venue in Honolulu. It's on one of the original rolls of film, along with performance shots, rehearsal shots, and scenes of the entourage's adventures on motorbikes, romping through the jungle, diving into pools, etc.

It's bright backstage there because they had the lights on - the performance footage is dark because the stage wasn't lit for film or video, and there are instances where the film appears speeded up because the cameraman (whom I believe was a member of the group's touring audio crew) knew he had to "under crank" the film (run it slower through the camera for a longer shutter speed) in order to get enough light on the film.

As for the video feed, that has to have been a B&W closed circuit feed set up so that the audio engineer could have some idea visually what was going on onstage - since he was backstage or off to the side, he'd have no other way of seeing what was happening. That's a common practice on mobile recording set-ups.

Those feeds certainly wouldn't have been recorded, at least not at that time. In 1967 recording video was still a pretty big deal - they were still using 2" tape with decks that were about the size of the average washing machine. 2" tape was very expensive stuff... one of the reasons so much early TV is gone is because the networks routinely re-used tape stock. The portable 1/2" B&W decks didn't come into use until the early 1970's, I think - and they weren't considered broadcast quality even then.

One last note - the footage shot of the Hawaii shows isn't comprehensive. The guy filming it was all over the place, grabbing quick bits here and there. There are no complete performances, and most of the shots are quite brief. I had to do some lip-reading to find Carl singing the first lines of "God Only Knows" for the "Endless Harmony" sequence, and I'm sure Malcolm Leo's editor had to do the same for "American Band." The other shots in our Lei'd In Hawaii "God Only Knows" sequence were from random shots of the two shows, and I recall having to slow some things down and move shots around a bit to make it appear as if the shots might have come from the same song.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 01:17:48 AM »

Someone here will remember but didn't a poster from this site get a gig to go into Capitols vaults to catalogue everything 5 years or so ago? What ever came of that?

I believe that poster was aeijtzsche, and nothing has come of it as far as I know.

The Beach Boys/Capital will not receive another dime from me until they release a SMiLE box set.  If and when that glorious day comes, I'll buy one for myself and every friend and family member who will listen.  I'm not interested in anything else they may have in the vaults.  I think everything The Beach Boys did after Friends (with the exception of Love You and maybe half of Sunflower) is worthless, so to say I'm not interested in songs that were cut from those records would be an understatement.  

So... you've heard everything else that's in the vaults to form this opinion, I take it ?

Your loss.

Also, if a Smile box ever comes to pass, someone will bitch about it - "we've got all this stuff already/why wasn't "xxxx" included ?/that bit didn't go there/etc...". Can't say I'm looking forward to that response.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:23:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »

Heard that there is no chance of Smile material coming out whilst the Beach Boys are still living.. I just heard that!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »

Thread title is extremely misleading Sad

I'd kill for some proper re-releases of all albums. No harsh limiting, no noise reduction, both mono/stereo when possible or when both exist, extensive liner notes, and bonus tracks. I've only properly bought a few Beach Boys albums because of all the various versions, problems etc. that are present on the versions that exist now because I'm holding out for something better.

I think you're holding out for something that may very well never happen, however desirable.

Aye, been here before. Given that all the Capitol albums have been released twice as two-fers, and the 70s albums comparatively recently as two-fers, I can't see Capitol going through the remaster process again with material that's been out there for so long that there's only a tiny diehard market for it.

It'd be lovely but I don't think it's going to happen. Got to bear in mind that the Beatles stuff was only ever available in dire-sounding versions, so their reissue programme was vital.

If you haven't got the two-fers, I'd get them now. They're well done.

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:03 AM »

Indeed - that is the Holy Grail of footage, even though some suggest the audio track is long gone and it's basically silent footage at this point. Maybe someone can update that since the info is from several years ago.

The other really interesting missing video is Brian's Sony Porta-Pak videotape reels from when he got a camera setup gifted from Sony and started recording the exploits of his Smile friends and collaborators in 66-67. There are no signs whatsoever that anything survived, best as I ever heard. The Porta-Pak rig was the first consumer-grade video recorder, but with open reels instead of VHS or Beta style cartridges. Apparently Charles Manson had one too, with Dennis involved. But that's rumor.

VDP got one at about the same time, apparently interviewing his friends. Including Brian.. wouldn't that be something to see!
Well even though it's silent footage, they should be able to release it with no problem, like they did the BB in London dvd; not a sound heard on there

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »

Heard that there is no chance of Smile material coming out whilst the Beach Boys are still living.. I just heard that!

We all hear many things, from many people.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

...add to that the missing Inside Pop takes...  3D

Birth of a new forum. With lots of rows and arguing about who's the best lip-reader here.

Well even though it's silent footage, they should be able to release it with no problem, like they did the BB in London dvd; not a sound heard on there

[/quote]

Birth of a new forum. With lots of rows and arguing about who's the best lip-reader here.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:26:50 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:56 AM »

Sorry for the mixup. I can't seem to type properly, the window is 'dropping' all of the time, so I can't see what I'm actually doing.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »

Speaking of which, does anyone else find it a little suspect that not (to my knowledge) one photo of Manson and Dennis together has ever seen the light of day? I wonder if Gregg Jakobsen has one or two stashed away somewhere?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »

Speaking of which, does anyone else find it a little suspect that not (to my knowledge) one photo of Manson and Dennis together has ever seen the light of day? I wonder if Gregg Jakobsen has one or two stashed away somewhere?

It's probably on the same level as the reasons why the tapes Manson recorded at the Beach Boys studio are locked away as tightly as possible, never even discussed, really. I think in the wake of the Manson mess, a lot of powerful people were afraid their names would show up with even a threadbare association to Manson and attempts were probably made to cover it up as much as possible.

There is a letter from Manson himself where he names some very famous names and also implicates other wealthy/famous owners of those Sony Porta-Pak video rigs in an international trading ring for material that would not only have been embarrassing but also illegal if it ever got out. Manson exaggerated a lot too, so believe what you wish aka "Hollywood Babylon", but he did get his names out there.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »

Sorry for the mixup. I can't seem to type properly, the window is 'dropping' all of the time, so I can't see what I'm actually doing.

I see that a few people have been having that problem - could you perhaps just type it in a text document and then cut & paste it back into the website text box?
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »

The Ding Dang Sessions

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »

The Ding Dang Sessions

and the Funky Pretty sessions
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »

It's probably on the same level as the reasons why the tapes Manson recorded at the Beach Boys studio are locked away as tightly as possible, never even discussed, really. I think in the wake of the Manson mess, a lot of powerful people were afraid their names would show up with even a threadbare association to Manson and attempts were probably made to cover it up as much as possible.

There is a letter from Manson himself where he names some very famous names and also implicates other wealthy/famous owners of those Sony Porta-Pak video rigs in an international trading ring for material that would not only have been embarrassing but also illegal if it ever got out. Manson exaggerated a lot too, so believe what you wish aka "Hollywood Babylon", but he did get his names out there.

It's known Charlie did the nasty with Cary Grant. Also a famous Hollywood couple used to pay him to do very dirty things to them both on camera - my money is on Jane Fonda and Roger Valdin being the couple in question.
Mike once claimed that the BB's had hours of the Family's orgies on tape. That moaning and groaning at the end of "All I want to Do" is apparently from one of them! If I worked at Capital I'd secretly sneak some of it onto the next "Hits" comp as a hidden bonus track.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »

It's known Charlie did the nasty with Cary Grant. Also a famous Hollywood couple used to pay him to do very dirty things to them both on camera - my money is on Jane Fonda and Roger Valdin being the couple in question.
Mike once claimed that the BB's had hours of the Family's orgies on tape. That moaning and groaning at the end of "All I want to Do" is apparently from one of them! If I worked at Capital I'd secretly sneak some of it onto the next "Hits" comp as a hidden bonus track.

Whoever told you that is pulling your chain big time - the story of Dennis recording his 'tag' to "All I Want To Do" in Capitol Tower studios has been well documented since 1985, when I interviewed Steve Desper, who engineered that, um, 'session'.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »

The part about the orgies is a quote from a book called "Coming Down Fast". The author states that Mike gave an interview in 1970-71 where he claimed "we have hours of them on tape sucking, f**king'', barking and chanting". Without the book at hand, that is pretty much word for word what it said.

On a lighter note it makes you wonder just how Desper engineered the tag. "Um Dennis can you lift your ass a bit more I need to get this mike in a little closer!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:46:08 PM by mike's beard » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »

...add to that the missing Inside Pop takes...  3D

[/quote]
is there any chance some of the smile footage is on some of the documentaries?
Like the footage on the A&E BW Bio where they describe the smile era as a Mad Hadder's tea Party and it shows Brian running/jumping off the diving board and Brian in multi-colored/psychedelic yelling on a mic (with longer hair).

Also that footage of Van Dyke from EH, it might be when he was older, he has a mustache but he's holding up notebook paper that says Heroes and Villains and Surf's Up...that's all I can remember, havent seen it in a while.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

The part about the orgies is a quote from a book called "Coming Down Fast". The author states that Mike gave an interview in 1970-71 where he claimed "we have hours of them on tape sucking, f**king'', barking and chanting". Without the book at hand, that is pretty much word for word what it said.

On a lighter note it makes you wonder just how Desper engineered the tag. "Um Dennis can you lift your ass a bit more I need to get this mike in a little closer!"

The interview - not by credited to Mike, rather "an anonymous Beach Boy" - was to Tom Nolan for the 1971 Rolling Stone 2-parter.

Steve told me he basically engineered that session (November 12th 1968, btw) "with my head down on the board": Dennis and his companion - a hooker he pulled off of Hollywood & Vine just down from the Tower - were screened from the booth by drum risers set up on end, and DW wore headphones so's he could match the rhythm of the track. After he was done, SWD told me, he stuck his head over the screen and yelled "play it back"... listened to it intently over the studio monitors... then announced "I can do better - take two !" - and that's why, if you listen carefully with cans, you'll hear a different take in each ear.  Grin  Apparently there's a safety copy of the 8-track in the Capitol archives, and yes, I suggested it as a hidden track on a rarities compilation some years back. When the person in question had stopped falling down laughing, they told me "I seriously doubt it". Shame.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:23:34 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

Yes, really a shame. Imagine the publicity it would have given the band. It would've opened more people up to the less clean cut side of the band (and the compilation would probably have sold something like fifty percent more with that tagged on, when word had gotten out).

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »

Thread title is extremely misleading Sad

I'd kill for some proper re-releases of all albums. No harsh limiting, no noise reduction, both mono/stereo when possible or when both exist, extensive liner notes, and bonus tracks. I've only properly bought a few Beach Boys albums because of all the various versions, problems etc. that are present on the versions that exist now because I'm holding out for something better.

I think you're holding out for something that may very well never happen, however desirable.

Ballz Sad

30-frickin-dollar Japanese editions it is. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2011, 03:09:12 AM »

If there is a reissue program, they simply have to have everything pre-Pet Sounds in mono - I can't listen to the early stuff because of the frickin' wide stereo. Brian's productions aren't big enough to support such treatment until All Summer Long....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »

I see that a few people have been having that problem - could you perhaps just type it in a text document and then cut & paste it back into the website text box?

Thanks Mikey -

I tried another PC, and the problem is gone. But thanks for the hint anyway.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »

Someone here will remember but didn't a poster from this site get a gig to go into Capitols vaults to catalogue everything 5 years or so ago? What ever came of that?

I believe that poster was aeijtzsche, and nothing has come of it as far as I know.

The Beach Boys/Capital will not receive another dime from me until they release a SMiLE box set.  If and when that glorious day comes, I'll buy one for myself and every friend and family member who will listen.  I'm not interested in anything else they may have in the vaults.  I think everything The Beach Boys did after Friends (with the exception of Love You and maybe half of Sunflower) is worthless, so to say I'm not interested in songs that were cut from those records would be an understatement.  I've also bought all their greatest hits about 20 times over, and won't be doing so again, even for new stereo mixes.

That was indeed me, though all I did was help out a little bit.  I had hoped to spearhead a series of incredible vault-purging releases, but alas, I'm not much of a spearhead.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx