gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:07:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 230600 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 08, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »

A bit like Charles Ives, in fact.
Except way, way, way, way, way worse.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 01, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »

5 big ones from me.

After many years of ignorantly dismissing the BBs as simply a "surf" group, I took a chance one day and purchased Pet Sounds and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer at a 50% off clearance sale.  That day was the major turning point in my musical life.  I thought, "Any group that can record Pet Sounds, then turn around and do this...deserves some serious investigation!"  I wasn't aware of the whole story with Smile at that point, so I just accepted Smiley Smile at face value.  From the start, I thought it was a weird, beautiful, earthy, creepy masterpiece. 

Heroes And Villains- I love the rumbling bass organ in the choruses...brings to mind a gothic cathedral, and sets the tone for the creepiness to follow.  Love the dry, fragile, harmonized vocal parts.  To me, this is a very underrated rendition of H&V.

Vegetables- Rhythm section consisting of a badly played bass guitar (with flubbed notes left in) and a jug!  This is not your mother’s Beach Boys.  Great sound effects.  The last couple of sections/modules are gorgeous. 

Fall Breaks And Back To Winter- One of my favorite tracks on the album.  Brian Wilson as the phantom of the friggin’ opera.  Super weird.  Love the croaking vocals (?), the freaked out percussion, the woody woodpecker bits, and that omnipresent organ!  Love it more than Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.   

She’s Going Bald- Like this much better than He Gives Speeches.  That’s some janky old school pitch shifting towards the middle!  The boys are trying to be funny, but it's too late...the worm has turned.   

Little Pad- I put this on a comp that my wife and I listened to while on honeymoon in Hawaii, alongside Martin Denny, etc.  The hummed vocals and slide guitar are beautiful.  It’s like there are ghosts in this recording.

Good Vibrations- Greatness, of course.

With Me Tonight- My hands down favorite of the album.  There’s something so beautiful about this song that it gives me goose bumps.  After listening to the session tapes from Unsurpassed Masters, I realized that the “GOOD” bit was actually shifted over a bit so that it landed on the beat.  An edit, not an accident.  Fantastic.  And again, the organ blows my mind.       

Wind Chimes- Like bachelor pad music for Dr. Phibes to relax to.  Gotta wonder whether Wilson realized how creepy this stuff was getting.  The jarring SPLATTT!!! that happens late in the song definitely suggests that there is some heavy psychological drama at play here, that Wilson is deliberately f-ing up his own creations.   

Getting Hungry- Maybe others could have written a song like this, but nobody else could have delivered it the way this is delivered.  Think about the creative choices going on in this track.  Listen to the bit where it all comes to a halt, and then a slowed down voice sings “I’m getting hungry, hungry for…” and then a super high falsetto Brian comes in and finishes the line “MYYYY kind of woman!”  No surprise at all to find out that Syd Barrett was a big fan.   

Wonderful- Sounds like the song itself has been corrupted, soured.  A musical genius self destructing…repellant and thrilling at once.  It’s like Wilson is channeling the id of the southern California sunshine pop scene, forecasting the unpleasantness that would come in the following years. 

Whistle In- Another track that sounds like it was recorded deep in the dead of night.  After the fade the listener is left to wonder what the hell just happened.

Listened to it as I was typing this.  What a friggin amazing album.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:01:45 PM by Menace Wilson » Logged

"Jeff, you care." --BW
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 01, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »

I'm not sure what to think of Smiley Smile....One thing is for sure...its their most NEATEST album. A couple of things I could do without would be the increasingly higher-pitched harmonies on 'She's Goin' Bald'. The first time I heard it, I didn't know what the hell to do or where the hell this was going for that matter. Another thing I dislike is at the beginning of 'Little Pad', there is laughing over decent backing vocals. Other than those 2 things, I think its a very interesting album and is enjoyable to listen to.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: July 15, 2009, 12:54:26 PM »

The things you complained about are some of my favorite elements of those songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »

Love the harmonies on 'With Me Tonight'
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 03, 2009, 12:09:46 AM »

i think this record absolutely sucks. talk about failed potential...
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 26, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »

I gotta ask: if the other Beach Boys thought Smile was too strange to unleash on the world, why was this okay to release?
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 02, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

In my playlists, I like to take out Good Vibrations and Heroes and place them in line for when they came out as singles (You're Welcome is apart of that for Heroes), so I use tracks 2-5 and 7-11 as "Smiley Smile." Going by that, I give it a 4. It still has some of the great moments from SMiLE, though some are diluted, but are still very good. Only a couple of places in it make me sit on the fence, but I can usually put up with those short instances and enjoy the album.
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »

I gotta ask: if the other Beach Boys thought Smile was too strange to unleash on the world, why was this okay to release?
Probably just got so fed up with a year's worth of recording sessions they just said "screw it" and recorded what they could with what was left of Brian's mind at that point as quickly as possible
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »

What's interesting to me about this album is that, even though the writing is sub-par and weird as hell, it still features harmonies of the Beach Boys still at their vocal prime. Makes for an intriguing combination, to say the least.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »

It's one of those albums that are in desperate need of a good bath in remastering. Same with Wild Honey.
Paulos
« Reply #711 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »

It's one of those albums that are in desperate need of a good bath in remastering. Same with Wild Honey.

Count Today! in for the remastering process, sounds so muddy at times its no wonder that 7 of the albums songs have had new stereo remixes done.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »

Ooooh! I would LOOOOVE to see a remaster of 'Wild Honey'....

I think a proper mono remastered 'Surfer Girl' album would be great too!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »

Wind Chimes- Like bachelor pad music for Dr. Phibes to relax to.  Gotta wonder whether Wilson realized how creepy this stuff was getting.  The jarring SPLATTT!!! that happens late in the song definitely suggests that there is some heavy psychological drama at play here, that Wilson is deliberately f-ing up his own creations.   

See, having listened to the SOT sessions of this tune, the fact that Brian seems to have put the 'jarring splatt' to cover up a certain.... eff up of sorts makes it all the better.

I love Smiley Smile. A beautiful record, in all it's oddity.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 22, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »

Please don't hate me for saying this but I've never really been able to like Smiley Smile all that much. I suppose it's just a matter of me listening to BWPS and many other SMiLE bootlegs for a solid 6 months or so before I finally gave Smiley a shot. Listening to the lush arrangements of the SMiLE tracks makes it sort of hard to appreciate the bare, low-fidelity versions in Smiley Smile all that much. Good Vibrations feels totally out of place in the album and Heroes and Villains doesn't seem to fit in very well with the rest of the material either.

I understand why this album came out but it doesn't make it any easier for me to listen to.  Sad
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »

I'd sort of given it a surface listen ebfore. Really giving it a thorough examination for the first time now.

Jesus Christ I can't believe someone let Brian record this.

That's what I usually think about a good Brian Wilson album.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 22, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

This album is straight up Lovecraftian.

You can't rate it or any individual song except Good Vibrations with proper numbers that only have one value. You'd need some kind of non-euclidian compound meta-variables or some merda to put a rating on it. I heard this AFTER BWPS and even after SMiLE sessions and mixes so I'm familiar with all the sounds first. Holy merda, it's the thing that should not be. It's beautiful and messy and shitty and deliberately self sabatoging, decrepit, angellic, hilarious, evil, creepy, unpleasant thing. Everything you can say makes it good equally makes it bad. It's nothing at all. You can't listen to it without getting it. If you can't get it, which may not be your fault, it may be Brian's for being intentionally awful and alienating, if you can't get it it's clearly horrible, and legitimately so. If you can get it it's the most amazing thing. I wonder what it owuld have been like back in the days if you had heard Pet Sound, didn't follow the news and didn't know much ro anything about Smile, and then heard this.

It can't be evaluated because it's some formless ever shifting formless nameless thing.

I don't get how anyone can call this album half baked, because the mixing board was fucking high by the time they were done.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:04:48 PM by ukulelejesus » Logged

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »

I never much liked SS until I got to hear the raw tapes. The final mix leaves me cold for some reason.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 07, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »

I don't get how anyone can call this album half baked, because the mixing board was friggin' high by the time they were done.

This should go on the sticker of the inevitable 50th anniversary reissues...  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »

I heard this for the first time when it came out, as a young sprog knowing nothing of the recent tortured history of the band at that point.  It was billed as hippy-dippy-trippy, and who was I to say different?  That's how I listened to it for decades.  I loved the stoned humor of it all.

It doesn't need another remastering.  Mark Linnett did what he could with the HDCD version a ways back and I'm not sure it can be improved much.  It just sounds like that.  A stereo mix of the multi-tracks, stripping off all the old tape noise, would be a fascinating listen (suggested by someone above - Cam maybe?).  But no one will put it out, as no one would buy it besides me.  The "Hawthorne" "Vegetables" suggests what it might sound like.

Playing it recently, though, I must agree with uke's "Lovecraftian" tag to descrbe the effect of this LP all these years later.  From which follows my agreement with Cam that the whole thing sounds a bit cold -  especially now with my "studio ears"  I can hear the tape edits and other tell-tale signs of how it was put together at the time.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »

I have a vague understanding that smiley smile can never appear in stereo, Vegetables and Heroes and Villains being the two exceptions. It's been discussed many times that Good Vibrations vocal tapes were lost/destroyed. The way i've herd it is that all the vocals were actually done during the final mixdown of the album, meaning there are no vocal tapes for any of the songs. Vegetables being the exception as you can see on agd's site it was the only song recorded anywhere besides Brian's home studio, with vocal sessions being done June 3rd at Sound Recorders.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 14, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »

Actually, Vegetables and Heroes and Villians were remixed in Stereo for the Hawthorne Legacy Set. As for Good Vibrations, the 8-Track Tape for the vocals is lost. The vocals weren't done during the Final Mono Mixdown. If you listen to The Carl Wilson Coda on Disc 2 of the Hawthorne set, you can hear a little snippet of the only available real Stereo Vocals. The "Ahhhh" part. It's kind of like a teaser, leaving you more of a feeling of how it would sound in Stereo. The Instrumental Sessions exist, but that's it unfortunately.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »

How in the hell do you manage to lose something so important like the vocal session tapes for "Good Vibrations" in the first place? goshdarn.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:24 AM »

Actually, Vegetables and Heroes and Villians were remixed in Stereo for the Hawthorne Legacy Set. As for Good Vibrations, the 8-Track Tape for the vocals is lost. The vocals weren't done during the Final Mono Mixdown. If you listen to The Carl Wilson Coda on Disc 2 of the Hawthorne set, you can hear a little snippet of the only available real Stereo Vocals. The "Ahhhh" part. It's kind of like a teaser, leaving you more of a feeling of how it would sound in Stereo. The Instrumental Sessions exist, but that's it unfortunately.

yeah that's what I was getting at. All of the songs (besides Vegetables, Heroes, and Good Vibrations) had their vocals recorded during the final mixdown. The way I understand it that session was held during an all-nighter at Wally Heider's studio and all the vocals were added then meaning there are no multitrack tapes for any vocals besides those done for Vegetables and Heroes.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 15, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »

How in the hell do you manage to lose something so important like the vocal session tapes for "Good Vibrations" in the first place? goshdarn.

The story goes, they were recorded at Columbia* studios, and thus stored where Columbia stored all their tapes - in a disused cinema in LA, apparently without much rhyme or reason. Sometime between 1966 and 1970, the building became full and they decided to just chuck out everything - I seem to recall they weren't too concerned about BB's tapes because of the poor sales they were making at the time... It's heartbreaking.

*Sure I don't mean Capitol? I mean, I thought Brian didn't like recording there, but I've got a little nagging thing which tells me I'm wrong...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:28:44 PM by hypehat » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx