gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:00:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 231072 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 18, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »

It has the timbre of Marilyn's voice which I can pick out. She pops in on a few tracks in the Beach Boys albums. Busy Doin' Nothing has a bit of her.

No way it's a sped up tape of the BBoys themselves.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 18, 2006, 01:15:35 PM »

Two different artists there....

Of course. I know that. I think rolling stone magazine picked those as the best songs of all time on two different polls.

Ah gotcha

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 18, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »

No, no, one's the best song of all time, the other one's the second best song of all time.

I think Like a Rolling Stone is up there, but definitely not number 1, and I think satisfaction is not even in my top 1,000 songs. I really don't like the Stones.

Jason
« Reply #578 on: February 18, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »

I've read that story too, and I think it was Brian who didn't want it released at that time. It wasn't finished, at least not to his satisfaction. But who knows? He thought differently of it in 1970 when Carl went back to it and added some flourishes and vocals.

Brian's quite indecisive on that song. On the BBC Radio 1 documentary of Smile, he called the '71 Surf's Up a piece of sh*t. Said he didn't know why they let a record go out like that.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 18, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »

That does not mean they're not great. Which you should admit.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »

I'll admit that other people think they're great. I don't think they're anything special. I think there are hundreds of songs better than satisfaction. That song is pretty boring to me.

mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 18, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »

Although it was the first riff I learned on guitar, but if a person who just picked up the guitar can play that with ease I don't think it should be considered the number 1 song of all time.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 18, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »

Wow, man. That's not what rock is about. Rock is primal. Rock IS something a kid can do the first day he picks up a guitar. That does not mean things that are more complicated don't have validity, but rock is Louie Louie and Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow, I Wanna Be Your Dog, it's That's All Right Mama, Tutti Frutti.
Complication simply does not make ANYTHING better, particularly in rock.

And, objectivity means being able to see the qualities of something without necessarily liking it yourself. It's a good quality.

mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 18, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »

True, but I don't think this is good primal rock to my ears. Chuck Berry did it better.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2006, 02:02:38 PM »

Fair enough. I think Keith would agree.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure he said let a "vocal go out like that". That makes more sense to me because I find that Carl's lead hardly compares to the lead Brian did in the original sessions.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2006, 03:08:07 PM »

Are you sure it's girls and not a speeded up  or altered tape a la She's Going Bald?

I had been told by a very credible source that it was a sped up tape, but one of our homely scholars here (forget who) told me it was in fact Marilyn and Annie Wilson.

Somewhere earlier in this thread, I posted a quote from Stephen Desper, who answered this very question for me on the old board. I reposted it here but I can't be bothered to go through it again. Anyway, he said it was the wives.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »

I really hate strongly opinionated dickheads who feel whatever they think is right and if you disagree then your just wrong. And of course they just love to declare what SUCKS! and what doesn't SUCK. Kinda boring. Wouldn't you guys agree?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »

I really hate people who really hate strongly opinionated dickheads who really hate stuff!!!!!!!  Grin
Yeah, man, although we've all been guilty of that at one time or another.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2006, 06:00:07 PM »

True, very true.  Kiss

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 18, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

About the title... I just always assumed that they had already done advertising for "Smile," so, to still capitalize on the marketing, slightly changed the name so it would still be recognizable.  Afterall, they couldn't realease it as "Smile" since it wasn't.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 18, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »

I've read that story too, and I think it was Brian who didn't want it released at that time. It wasn't finished, at least not to his satisfaction. But who knows? He thought differently of it in 1970 when Carl went back to it and added some flourishes and vocals.

Brian's quite indecisive on that song. On the BBC Radio 1 documentary of Smile, he called the '71 Surf's Up a piece of merda. Said he didn't know why they let a record go out like that.

You sure Brian wasnt referring to the rest of that album? I heard he really disliked STD.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 18, 2006, 09:51:55 PM »

You sure Brian wasnt referring to the rest of that album? I heard he really disliked STD.

Yeah, it wasn't "Beach Boys" enough. He just didn't support Mike fodaing with the formula, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I have read a Brian quote about Surf's Up the song being "a piece of merda vocally."

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2006, 05:20:26 AM »

Here ya go, it's at the end:  http://rapidshare.de/files/13622566/BBC_Radio_One_Story_of_Smile-_06-_Going_Insane_and_Surf_s_Up.mp3.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2006, 06:37:23 AM »

I dunno, I always got the impression that Brian didn't like the way his solo piano performance was tacked onto the part with Carl singing to make a complete take.  I think his problem was with his part of it.  Sounds fine to me, of course, but apparently he had planned that "second movement" to have strings and be fuller sounding, therefore he didn't like the quasi-demo quality of what became part of the master.

C-Man
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2006, 03:21:56 PM »

Boy...the part with vocals sure is sped up. Was that done by Murry?

LOL:

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »

one thing that really amazes me about SmileySS, beside the overhauling of Brian's Smile tunes, is their use of manipulated tape & the machienes to further an exotic sound. no flange, heavy delays or any thing extrordinary, just enough that  fits in the organic demo-like quality of the LP as a whole. Of course,Tons o'Splicing,though...but just like in"GV", SSmiley & the Boys use splicing like an Effect--not just  means to "EDIT".

anyone care to elaborate on this point further?

P.S.- Brian once said that 2 min. was like 2 hrs. on drugs...anybody think this is why Smiley Smile and some outtakes like Bin Way too Long, as well as what came to be Cool cool Water, are more like vignettes of a wacky cartoon series, instead of balls-out songs, like on Wild Honey or SunFlower?

anybody out there even care>??
Jason
« Reply #597 on: February 19, 2006, 05:31:49 PM »

I think they're songs, or song-like material, but they're of a mosaic, just like Smile. Been Way Too Long is the natural evolution of the modular method Brian pioneered with Good Vibrations.
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 19, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »

slicing is an art in/of itself...what do u say about the drug question?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2006, 06:54:41 PM »

So much interesting stuff can be done with splicing both tape and using it effectively digitally. Such a cool sound emerges from splicing a vocal out instead of a natural "pull the faders down slowly" way. It's just a bit risky if you haven't got the time or patience to mess up.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx