gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:28:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 231412 times)
Jason
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2006, 07:53:40 AM »

The original post was harsh.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2006, 07:59:48 AM »

Out of curiosity, why was "younger generations" in quotation marks? Are they not actually younger? Are you being ironic when you say younger generations, thus meaning the older generations? Hmm...

Anyway, I think that entire sentiment (and maybe Jason's response) comes down to the same old, somewhat tired debate between generations.

I think both older, original fans and new ones are necessary. Young fans can't ever quite understand a band on its original level, in its original context. They can read, or see documentaries, etc., but those are filtered through someone else's view. If you weren't there, you missed the original context, period. Younger fans, though, are able to do something else that's equally important in the criticism of music, and that's the exact opposite: hear the music out of context. They have more of an ability to be objective, to remove the Beatles from Beatlemania, to take away the media of this band or that, to leave the happy, drug-hazed flower power in the dirt and listen to the music on its merits.

The funny thing is, especially with a band so past its prime, sorely lacking in any real widespread, serious commercial acclaim the past X years, that fans argue about how one should best like them, as opposed to just being glad somebody else does.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2006, 08:02:49 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly, Luther.

The younger fans play a very important part in Beach Boys fandom, they can get their friends into the music. It's worked with me and a few of my friends. More younger fans is better than no younger fans to carry the torch.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2006, 08:11:08 AM »

In fact, it's younger fans who are absolutely necessary to 1) continue to guarantee ongoing sales; and 2) bring fresh vitality to the listening experience, keeping the band from being seen as the oldies act the touring version has long since become. BRI shouldn't pander, or forget about the people who actually shelled out the $(X) for Sunflower the first time around (all 15 people who bought it...), but neither should the organization--or the original fans--ignore or criticize those people who are discovering this music as NEW music.

It's this phenomenon, largely, that keeps the Beatles planted solidly in the realm of legendary. Yes, yes, they were supremely popular at the time. And they created a phenomenon that nobody else did, or has (arguably...I certainly don't have the facts to back that up). But that every single generation of new fans "discovers" the Beatles, and takes a different angle (hence "Pepper" as the unquestioned best album for a while...followed by the rougher-edged white album as the best...followed by the song-oriented "Rubber Soul," etc.), makes them essential for everyone, all the time.

Failure for new fans to continually find and make their own the Beach Boys has already hurt them, probably several times over. Why leave them on the oldies stations? Why criticize young fans because you think their motives impure?

(This has been fun. I don't even know if anyone disagrees. I'm just ranting. But now I am going to go read a book. Have fun tearing me a new one in my absence, if you'd like, or fighting amongst yourselves. I'll be back later to survey the carnage.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2006, 08:25:47 AM »

The Beatles seemingly always had amazing publicity that only encouraged the peoples reception to the group.

30 years after the band ended there's still a new book released every .4 seconds documenting events that were written in every other book.

Keeping their name present through the years is a sure way to always attract consistent sales in the future.

Now consider the Oldies stations on the radio. You've got 50% of the music on there that is considered (and sometimes is) so cheesy and unhip or whatever, and you'll not find books or writings about them in mainstream stores.

"The Beatles Are Coming!"  vs.  "I Know Brian's Dad".

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2006, 09:13:24 AM »

Is it possible to make 'psych' music, without the use of drugs?

YES!
See the sunshine-pop movement, e.g. Free Design, Cowsills, etc.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2006, 09:27:41 AM »

Last I knew Lovestein is 25 so I dont get it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »

Doesn't matter how old he is. It's the argument itself.

Jason
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »

I dunno Luther...if he's indeed 25, then why would he trash his own generation? Makes no sense to me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »

It still wouldn't change the argument. If I came on here and said men should be exterminated, it doesn't matter that I am one. My position deserves to be argued against.

Jason
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2006, 09:32:07 AM »

Men are vain, greedy, brutal assholes who have just about ruined this planet...

Ahhhhh we love you Mr. Carlin.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2006, 09:33:05 AM »

Dear Mr. Carlin,

I actually don't love you. I do find you somewhat amusing.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Signed,
Luther

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »

Yeah, I'm 25.

I wasn't saying screw the young folk. What I was saying was trying to make the Beach Boys look "trendy" so people will give other albums, besides Pet Sounds, a chance is a complete insult to the band and Brian Wilson.

And there are a lot of posers who won't pretend to "like" something unless it's been labeled "hip" by their lame brethren. And after they bash the Beach Boys for not being cool they go and put on their favorite emo band. God knows they're not lame.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 10:56:57 AM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jason
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2006, 10:56:42 AM »

Yeah, I'm 25.

I wasn't saying screw the young folk. What I was saying was trying to make the Beach Boys look "trendy" so people will give other albums, besides Pet Sounds, a chance is a complete insult to the band and Brian Wilson.

But weren't they already trendy back in the early 60s?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »

I don't know if music that was commercially succesful was considered trendy.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »

I dunno Luther...if he's indeed 25, then why would he trash his own generation? Makes no sense to me.

I hate my generation.

Why don't you all just ffffffff fade away.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »

And there are a lot of posers who won't pretend to "like" something unless it's been labeled "hip" by their lame brethren.

Sad but true.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

I was listening to the SortaStereo version of Smiley and wondering again how Smiley gets held up as an example of formula, safer, more commercial music. Fall Breaks, off melody woodwinds, odd ball percussion, minimalism....?

Another thing, how is Smiley less esoteric lyricwise:  What is the meaning of "Remember the day, remember the night, all day long. Whistle in"?  Remember what day, why, forget the day and night at night? Why? Whistle in what? Why? Has what to do with remembering the day or night?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »

I don't think anyone considers Smiley Smile "safer" or "formula". And we know where the discussion of "what were they thinking?" leads. I wish someone would talk to Brian and Mike and the rest of the guys about it.

That said, Smiley is miles more complex than people think, which is part of the brilliance.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »

What did Mike Love think about Smiley? Has he given any interviews about how Smiley came to be?

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2006, 04:31:55 PM »

Mike said somewhere that he cared not about the music but for the lyrics to be understandable and relatable to their main fan base. He said he encouraged creativity music-wise and with all that but always wanted some safe lyrics for the kids.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »

I think what I hate most about this is the part after the lines "She belongs there left with her liberty never known as a non-believer" section, I don't like the "won-won-won-wonderful" sounds like kids are singing it, aside from that I think I can stand the album. I enjoy "Gettin' Hungry", "Little Pad", but I enjoy "He Gives Speeches" more than "She's Goin' Bald" lyric wise, I enjoy the melody and rhythm.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »

I think what I hate most about this is the part after the lines "She belongs there left with her liberty never known as a non-believer" section, I don't like the "won-won-won-wonderful" sounds like kids are singing it, aside from that I think I can stand the album. I enjoy "Gettin' Hungry", "Little Pad", but I enjoy "He Gives Speeches" more than "She's Goin' Bald" lyric wise, I enjoy the melody and rhythm.

"He Gives Speeches" has to be one of the worst things in the whole SMiLE Sessions era. I always imagined it to be sung with a snarl that none of those guys had. Something raspy and cold like Lennon's vocal on "I Am The Walrus". Possibly Brian's most boring an unemotional vocal (though I suppose this was in relation to the words). The only thing that saves it is the hiigh parts/handclaps/and the great sounding drums.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

I really like HGS, myself.

I also really like the women singing "won-won wonderful"... It has a really cool vibe, even if it's kinda creepy.

Watch out for snakes!
Jason
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »

I also really like the women singing "won-won wonderful"... It has a really cool vibe, even if it's kinda creepy.

That sounds like a sped-up tape, or a bunch of women with really annoying voices.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx