gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681109 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 08:08:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brian Wilson Orchestra  (Read 5434 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »

Listening to the new LP tonight, I am smitten.  It is , in my mind, finally a new band fully realized.  Not the Beach Boys, not Brian wilson, but a musical entity unto itself.  As I listen, I visualize Brian, Taylor, Paul, Scott, Darian, Jeffrey and the entire band performing this material as I once visualized the Beach Boys as an entity.

It feels like I just opened a fresh lp by my favorite band back in the day, relishing each new cut, appreciating each members contribution.

I can't wait to see this live.  Especially after last fall's exceptionaql performance of the "greatest hits".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »

Ever since I hear the Roxy album I've been saying that they should come up with a group name. They're just to good to be "Brian Wilson's backing band".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

They do have a group name! It's 'Wondermints'!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »

Naah!

(Yeah.  Mints a big part definitely)

But the whole unit has morphed into an entity.....The Brian Wilson Orchestra.

I take my stand.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »

Brian Wilson's Endless Beach Party Band but also Orchestra Album Recreationists

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »

The Brian Wilson Orchestra is appropriate....and could continue after Brian decides to retire.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:37 AM »

The Brian Wilson Orchestra is appropriate....and could continue after Brian decides to retire.

Sweetie - the whole connotation of "orchestra" (even though it might be completely appropriate) where most of the players "sit down" to play, is so contrary to the whole "stand up and groove while you rock" that guitar.  Stuff got "pluggged-in" and electrified as a result of rock and roll. 

It might lose its "edge" because of that "old timer (my grandmother's Lawrence Welk generation) music" connotation.  That said, I would love to see the Boys play with a symphony orchestra, but, only in maintaining their own rocker identity.  It is nice to "crossover" with another style, as long as it is not a permanent "aged out" scenario.   

Brian stood up and rocked that guitar with his brothers and Mike, David, Al and Bruce. 

Brian's band is more of a "sound machine" [not to steal from Gloria Estevan] - especially if you have seen them "stand up"  like Nelson Bragg doing his awesome percussion thing.  We have to find a better term or maybe coin a new one!

As for me; l I still want them to "swing right into" the catalog of the Beach Boys...but not become a "swing band"   Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »

Brian Wilson Combo?

The Brian Wilson Pistols?

The Brian Wilson Juke Box?

The Brain Wilson Tribute Band?

Brian's Wonderpints?

Sons Of The Beaches?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:23 AM »

They need a really cool name... because that's what's important.  Being cool.

The Joe Diffie Strings (country redneck singer)

Merle Haggard and the Strangers (I'd like to introduce my band, these are the strangers)

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys

Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadors

George Strait and the Ace in the Hole band

All the good names were taken up by the country singers years ago. 
Jason
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »

Brian Wilson and the Ironic Hipsters.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »

I've got it. 

wait for it....

wait for it...

Brian Wilson & the Formula
Jason
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:51 AM »

I've got it. 

wait for it....

wait for it...

First album will be called "Fuckin' With The Formula".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »

I've got it. 

wait for it....

wait for it...

First album will be called "Fuckin' With The Formula".

LOL make that: Foda With The Formula...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 07:39:22 AM »

Brian Wilson and Rollin' Up To Heaven?
Brian Wilson and the Shortenin' Breads?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »

Brian Wilsbone Ash.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »

Brian Wilsbone Ash.

game - set - & - match
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:00:02 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

Brian Wilson and the Murder Junkies

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »

On another, and more gloomy note, what do people here think will happen with the band in the future? Say, ten years from now?.

I'm just thinking, this group has been together for so long now that it seems they could go on making great, original music in the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson mold should they so desire without Brian, either if he at some point (god forbid) quits recording / touring at his own will or because of health, illness etc. It's been quite some time since the Wondermints and Foskett issued anything new on their own and even though some of the other group members have had more recent projects maybe they would consider staying together in some loose group constellation that could consider recording & performing? In my opion that would be awesome and a great way of carrying on the torch, securing that this kind of music could live on many years from now. Whether or not it's realistic is of course an entirely different thing.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »

On another, and more gloomy note, what do people here think will happen with the band in the future? Say, ten years from now?.

I'm just thinking, this group has been together for so long now that it seems they could go on making great, original music in the Beach Boys / Brian Wilson mold should they so desire without Brian, either if he at some point (god forbid) quits recording / touring at his own will or because of health, illness etc. It's been quite some time since the Wondermints and Foskett issued anything new on their own and even though some of the other group members have had more recent projects maybe they would consider staying together in some loose group constellation that could consider recording & performing? In my opion that would be awesome and a great way of carrying on the torch, securing that this kind of music could live on many years from now. Whether or not it's realistic is of course an entirely different thing.

The current band are only 'together' when Brian's recording or touring: they all have their own lives and, aside from the former 'Mints, those lives don't seem to intersect much. It's a much looser aggregation than most folk imagine.

And of course the more pertinent question is not if they could carry on making music a la BB/BW (that's a proven) but rather if they would want to.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

Prediction: after BW retires/dies, they will continue to perform as The Brian Wilson Band.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »

I don't think so - It would be pretty disrespectful to Brian to carry on. Sure, if they like they can form their own band and write their own tunes, but playing the BB's stuff without BW?

I would expect a Wondermints album soon after, because they must be sitting on what, 8 years worth of material if they've kept busy? But Jeff, Scott, Taylor, and Mertens will probably go their own separate ways, and that's ok with me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »

If performing deceased musicians' material is disrespectful, there's a lot of disrespect going on in this world, especially in the classical and jazz realms. And in the latter case, Basie, Mingus, and Ellington in particular, I believe, have officially bands on the road. I don't see it as disrespectful at all. More likely it will be personally and artistically unsatisfying for them, though. It's one thing to study at the feet of the master (if we can stretch our imaginations to pretend that's what's happening); but at a certain point you'd rather put that knowledge to use on your own.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »

doesn't matter if they carry on, who would watch that?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »

I'd go, no question about it. Brian is the least impressive part of his shows--by far--unless the music isn't important to you. His instrumental contributions are nil, his vocal contributions are shaky. It's funny to watch him, and there's a certain car-wreck / feel-good part to the whole thing. But in terms of quality performance? I love his band despite Brian Wilson. Mike Love's recent comments about the Beach Boys possibly carrying on because of the strength of the material are dead on. There will be a market for that music forever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »

I'd go...Darian is one of my heroes for his role in the BW band alone Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx