gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:07:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 s**ts on The Beach Boys  (Read 19811 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »

The people who are saying Michael Jackson didn't deserve to be near the top of the list (or isn't very talented), come on. I'm not even a huge fan (I have Off the Wall and some Jackson 5 stuff), but that man was talented and a great entertainer. Amazing voice. Go and listen to Who's Loving You by the Jackson 5. He was 12 or so, and he sounds incredible. Watch him dance sometime.

Testify. Michael Jackson, despite being a mess personally, was a hell of a pop star.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2010, 03:58:11 AM »

But could he do THE CHICKEN DANCE!  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »

In response to Mike's Beard: ..

"Nirvana. They weren't responsible for the demise of Color Me Crap, more they helped make groups such as Guns n Roses and Motley Crue unhip overnight. I still maintain that if it had been Eddie Vedder who'd put a gun in his mouth, than it would have been he who was elevated to the Gen X figurehead position (he was infact the music press's first choice as posterboy but wouldn't play ball) and it would be Pearl Jam making these lists. When Curt died Nirvana went from 'one of the big alt rock bands' to 'THE' alt rock band."

I have to disagree with the part about Nirvana making Guns N Roses unhip overnight: though when it comes to Poison, you're dead right! .... From where I was at that time, Guns N Roses certainly did  A LOT of pre-Nirvana damage to the reigning hair bands. They brought back a great deal of the seediness of rock n roll that had, frankly been gone a long long time. They also showed that you could be a mainstream hit-making metal band and NOT have big teased hair, and that was a huge blow to all those clowns. If anything Guns N Roses swiftly made themselves unhip. First by the great tight but loose n creative rock n roll drummer Steve Adler being fired and replaced by boring "dum dum duh-duh-dum" Matt Sorum, then Axl's all-consuming Elton John obsession: stupid overblown videos: releasing two albums at the same time (Use Your Illusion 1 n 2) and the systematic firing/quiting spree of all the original GnR members other than Rose.... I think this scenario was a big blow to mainstream metal in and of itself in that the biggest band of the time (metal-wise) couldn't even keep it together and imploded before even reaching their peak.

........ THEN came Nirvana and it was history!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »

True nobody did more to balls up G'N'R than Axl himself. By the time they finally put out a new album no one cared, they were a joke.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »

In the minority here, but I've always despised GNR, esp. vocally. Then again, I hate pretty much everything Aerosmith did from the 80s on...

Can't stand the whiny vocals.  See, Robert Plant could actually sing . Axl Rose and Steven Tyler are poor imitations IMHO. And, to be honest, Robert Plant was a bad Robert Plant impersonator from the 80s on...  :D

But...getting off topic now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

In the minority here, but I've always despised GNR, esp. vocally. Then again, I hate pretty much everything Aerosmith did from the 80s on...

Can't stand the whiny vocals.  See, Robert Plant could actually sing . Axl Rose and Steven Tyler are poor imitations IMHO. And, to be honest, Robert Plant was a bad Robert Plant impersonator from the 80s on...  :D

I don't mind Axl's voice, but compared to Plant, there is no question that Plant is by far a much better singer.

Anyone here listen to his collaboration with Alison Krauss Raising Sand? Plant is still hitting those high notes!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2010, 06:08:04 AM »

I never thought about G'n'R as a metal band, like Iron Maiden or Testament. Or a pop metal band like Poison or Warrant. More like a late 80's version of 70's Aerosmith.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »

True nobody did more to balls up G'N'R than Axl himself. By the time they finally put out a new album no one cared, they were a joke.

Like the BBs with Smiley I guess? Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »

The only GNR song I actually care for is the Manson cover... Evil Evil Evil

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »

I don't mind Axl's voice, but compared to Plant, there is no question that Plant is by far a much better singer.

Anyone here listen to his collaboration with Alison Krauss Raising Sand? Plant is still hitting those high notes!

Sacrilege, I know, but I can't stand Plant's vocals either. I think he overemotes far too much.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »

I like his voice up until about mmm...Presence. His voice changed a lot from the early to late 70s. It became much more whiny...I can't STAND overly whiny vocals. Probably same reason why I though AC/DC with Bon Scott was badass and the version with Brian  Johnson is just ass. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

I like his voice up until about mmm...Presence. His voice changed a lot from the early to late 70s. It became much more whiny...I can't STAND overly whiny vocals. Probably same reason why I though AC/DC with Bon Scott was badass and the version with Brian  Johnson is just ass. LOL

To my ears Bon Scott is the definition of whiny/high-pitched vocals. Granted, I love his vocals on 'It's A Long Way To The Top' but that's about it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

Something did happen to Plant's voice, and it was pretty drastic.  You can hear it as early as the "new" recordings on Physical Graffiti...his voice breaks and he struggles to hit the higher notes.     

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

I like his voice up until about mmm...Presence. His voice changed a lot from the early to late 70s. It became much more whiny...I can't STAND overly whiny vocals. Probably same reason why I though AC/DC with Bon Scott was badass and the version with Brian  Johnson is just ass. LOL

Bon Scott AND Brian Johnson are two of the best hard rock singers of all time.

They are also two of the greatest frontmen ever!

Loving Bon does not have to come at the expense of Brian. You don't have to hate him in order to praise Scott. Brian did not murder and eat Bon in order to take his place. Bon's death was a tragedy but the band carried on and continued to put out ass-kicking music, including what is probably the greatest hard rock album of all time WITH Brian!

But I can understand preferring Bon. He wrote better lyrics, for one, but Brian had POWER. Still has it today!

I honestly, like that there are basically 2 AC/DCs. Neither Bon nor Brian were exactly Carl when it comes to being "great" singers. I can get tired of either of them after a while, which is cool because if I burn out on Bon, I can throw on some Brian and it sounds badass and fresh, then I get tired of him, so I go back to Bon  Razz
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:00:03 PM by Erik H » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2010, 03:01:35 AM »

i think Vampire Weekend has a shot. wait, barenaked ladies?

Yes, Barenaked Ladies! They've consistently released strong album after strong album...usually the singles being the weakest tracks...their more recent stuff hasn't been quite as great as their 90s heyday...but 1996's Born On A Pirate Ship and 2000's Maroon are modern day classics. I see BNL as similar to the BBs pre-1990s in that they are grossly underrated and misunderstood. Maybe they're not on the same level as the BBs, Beatles, Dylan, etc., but they are (or were, before Steven Page quit) better than Nirvana, Michael Jackson, and Coldplay.

Are they better than Wishbone Ash? That's the relevant issue.

I keep thinking to myself I will check out some Wishbone Ash stuff on youtube, having never heard ANYTHING by them. However, I have so far refrained from doing so in case I actually like them, in which case this running gag would become less funny.  Grin

Actually, it's the same here. For me they're just a group mentioned by some Amazon-reviewer who found Brian horribly bad and WA the best of the planet. The only thing I did so far was to seek out some of their 'Argus' lyrics, which were terribly, terribly infantile. But well - the same can be said for 80% of 'Love You'.

Muddy waters indeed. Perhaps, dear Beard, we'll meet again someday on the 'Son Of Argus' message board.

Okay, I cannot recall a single song by Wishbone Ash and can only say I'd seen their albums for sale used in thrift shops. But I did google a Wishbone Ash message board:

http://wishboneashforums.com/index.php

And I joined. I have the same user name as here (rogerlancelot although obviously that is not really my name). Anybody else want to join and see if we can confuse these people? Or would that be trolling? I don't want to be rude with them, I just want to pretend that I know more about them than I do (which is actually nothing). Damn, reminds me of when I used to make prank phone calls when I was a kid. Oops, I still make them and I'm 37 now.....

Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. Don, and hope to see you there!

Smokin count me in, RL... same name too...

Erm... due to a typo (honest!) I'm registered there as The Heartical Con... Embarrassed
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:52:56 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:23 AM »

For those of you who hate Nirvana, think of this; The first record label they were signed to was Sub Pop. Sub Pop was close to going under when Nirvana left them to sign with DGC. In the negotiations, part of the agreement was that Sub Pop would get a percentage of future royalties from Nirvana records, as well as having their Sub Pop logo on Nirvana albums. So Nirvana helped keep Sub Pop from going under, therefore enabling Sub Pop to stay in business and release a rare 7-inch single of IJWMFTT promoting the Pet Sounds box set.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! PRESENTING THE HEARTICAL CON!!!"   LOL

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »

For those of you who hate Nirvana, think of this; The first record label they were signed to was Sub Pop. Sub Pop was close to going under when Nirvana left them to sign with DGC. In the negotiations, part of the agreement was that Sub Pop would get a percentage of future royalties from Nirvana records, as well as having their Sub Pop logo on Nirvana albums. So Nirvana helped keep Sub Pop from going under, therefore enabling Sub Pop to stay in business and release a rare 7-inch single of IJWMFTT promoting the Pet Sounds box set.

They still blow.

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »

They still blow.

Nope.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »

I don't like Nirvana at all, either. I was right in that target market during their ascent, but it just never connected at all with me. And of course there's nothing to make a guy hate a band worse than other people loving a band he already hates, so as they became deified, it just drove me nuts. My first thought when he shot himself--horribly rude as it may be--was along the lines of "f***, now he's going to be remembered as a legend forever."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

and as the rest of us will not be remembered at all!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2010, 09:55:11 AM »

i think Vampire Weekend has a shot. wait, barenaked ladies?

Yes, Barenaked Ladies! They've consistently released strong album after strong album...usually the singles being the weakest tracks...their more recent stuff hasn't been quite as great as their 90s heyday...but 1996's Born On A Pirate Ship and 2000's Maroon are modern day classics. I see BNL as similar to the BBs pre-1990s in that they are grossly underrated and misunderstood. Maybe they're not on the same level as the BBs, Beatles, Dylan, etc., but they are (or were, before Steven Page quit) better than Nirvana, Michael Jackson, and Coldplay.

Are they better than Wishbone Ash? That's the relevant issue.

I keep thinking to myself I will check out some Wishbone Ash stuff on youtube, having never heard ANYTHING by them. However, I have so far refrained from doing so in case I actually like them, in which case this running gag would become less funny.  Grin

Actually, it's the same here. For me they're just a group mentioned by some Amazon-reviewer who found Brian horribly bad and WA the best of the planet. The only thing I did so far was to seek out some of their 'Argus' lyrics, which were terribly, terribly infantile. But well - the same can be said for 80% of 'Love You'.

Muddy waters indeed. Perhaps, dear Beard, we'll meet again someday on the 'Son Of Argus' message board.

Okay, I cannot recall a single song by Wishbone Ash and can only say I'd seen their albums for sale used in thrift shops. But I did google a Wishbone Ash message board:

http://wishboneashforums.com/index.php

And I joined. I have the same user name as here (rogerlancelot although obviously that is not really my name). Anybody else want to join and see if we can confuse these people? Or would that be trolling? I don't want to be rude with them, I just want to pretend that I know more about them than I do (which is actually nothing). Damn, reminds me of when I used to make prank phone calls when I was a kid. Oops, I still make them and I'm 37 now.....

Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. Don, and hope to see you there!

Smokin count me in, RL... same name too...

Erm... due to a typo (honest!) I'm registered there as The Heartical Con... Embarrassed

I just responded to your post over on the WA board! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

and as the rest of us will not be remembered at all!
That part of it is fine with me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »

Nirvana were the only "grunge" group I never really liked. I have a very unique reason for disliking them. Back in 1994, I was a 15 year old high school kid. Like many people that age I was attempting to learn the guitar. I switched to bass when a guy from my class told me of a bass and amp going cheap. He also mentioned that the bass player from his group had walked out recently. Long story short, I bought the bass and joined his group. Initially it was great fun bangin out a few covers and just having a blast. However, this guy was a complete Curt Cobain freak and did his best to impersonate his demented whiny vocal style and distorted guitar riffs in everything we did. No matter what song we tried or wrote it invariably got put through the Cobain mangler. Imagine a T-Rex or Doors cover done in a bad Nirvana style; I can tell you from first hand experience the results are not pretty. In the end I had enough and quit, but by this point Nirvana had gone from a band I didn't particularly like to one I outright despised.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2010, 04:11:50 AM »

Nirvana were the only "grunge" group I never really liked. I have a very unique reason for disliking them. Back in 1994, I was a 15 year old high school kid. Like many people that age I was attempting to learn the guitar. I switched to bass when a guy from my class told me of a bass and amp going cheap. He also mentioned that the bass player from his group had walked out recently. Long story short, I bought the bass and joined his group. Initially it was great fun bangin out a few covers and just having a blast. However, this guy was a complete Curt Cobain freak and did his best to impersonate his demented whiny vocal style and distorted guitar riffs in everything we did. No matter what song we tried or wrote it invariably got put through the Cobain mangler. Imagine a T-Rex or Doors cover done in a bad Nirvana style; I can tell you from first hand experience the results are not pretty. In the end I had enough and quit, but by this point Nirvana had gone from a band I didn't particularly like to one I outright despised.

Your reasons for hating Nirvana and Oasis aren't very good.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx