gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:38:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Reimagines Gershwin  (Read 107587 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »

There's a three page feature on Wilson and the new album in the new Mojo, by Sylvie Simmons. Haven't had a chance to read it myself yet so can't describe the piece. Anything interesting and I'll post about it later!

Edit: Here goes I'll try and lift a few nuggest from the article. If I'm breaching board rules mods, just ditch this post.

Mertens:
"I asked if I could record him while he was playing, so that if he had any ideas for the project I would capture them and we could listen to them later. I have hours of Brian just fiddling around at the piano and there's a lot of interesting stuff. The first song on the album (Rhapsody In Blue) has an a cappella intro that I transcribed directly from one of Brian's improvisations and just transposed it into e flat so it would go with that song."

I can't work this out, as the a cappella Rhapsody, as far as I can tell, just copies the chords verbatim from the original. I wonder here if Mertens is actually referring to the a cappella intro to the Like In I Love You, but someone has erroneously assumed he's referring to the 1st track on the album, Rhapsody, which is also an a cappella 'intro' of sorts.

The intro to TLIILY sounds Gershwinesque, but is not a direct lift (again assumption on my part as I'm largely unfamiliar with Gershwin). This would make more sense. I'm trying to see if it's in E flat, but my guitar is out of tune so not sure!

That Rhapsody thing makes no sense - Brian's 'Rhapsody In Blue' is in C, not Eb. At least to my ears. TLIILY is in Eb, so it's very possible he means that as the first song.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 23, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »

There's a three page feature on Wilson and the new album in the new Mojo, by Sylvie Simmons. Haven't had a chance to read it myself yet so can't describe the piece. Anything interesting and I'll post about it later!

Edit: Here goes I'll try and lift a few nuggest from the article. If I'm breaching board rules mods, just ditch this post.

Mertens:
"I asked if I could record him while he was playing, so that if he had any ideas for the project I would capture them and we could listen to them later. I have hours of Brian just fiddling around at the piano and there's a lot of interesting stuff. The first song on the album (Rhapsody In Blue) has an a cappella intro that I transcribed directly from one of Brian's improvisations and just transposed it into e flat so it would go with that song."

I can't work this out, as the a cappella Rhapsody, as far as I can tell, just copies the chords verbatim from the original. I wonder here if Mertens is actually referring to the a cappella intro to the Like In I Love You, but someone has erroneously assumed he's referring to the 1st track on the album, Rhapsody, which is also an a cappella 'intro' of sorts.

The intro to TLIILY sounds Gershwinesque, but is not a direct lift (again assumption on my part as I'm largely unfamiliar with Gershwin). This would make more sense. I'm trying to see if it's in E flat, but my guitar is out of tune so not sure!

That Rhapsody thing makes no sense - Brian's 'Rhapsody In Blue' is in C, not Eb. At least to my ears. TLIILY is in Eb, so it's very possible he means that as the first song.

Yeah TLIILY makes much more sense, especially if it's in Eb.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »

Brian went, 'I don't dig waltzes, it's not my bag.'

Haha, classic Brian.  Some of my favorite BW songs are waltzes: Friends, Time to Get Alone, Let the Wind Blow, Be Here In the Morning.  Sounds like Brian just didn't like how the song turned out in 3/4 time and couldn't articulate properly that he wanted to start from scratch.  I would love to hear that alternate version though, even if it just exists in backing track form.

Yeah that cracked me up. Isn't there a quote from the 60s where he says something about there not being enough waltzes so he goes and writes Friends?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »

Mertens:

If your guitar is out of tune, naturally from sitting around, the top string is probably E flat, lol. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 23, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »

I defy somebody to show me a Waltz I don't like.  I love 'em all.  Anybody ever heard that Hank Williams Jr. song called "O.D.'d in Denver"?  It's a Waltz, and I love it.

I think i'm just easily pleased.  If it swings like a waltz, it always sounds good.  "Baby's In Black" by the beatles is really good too.  The BB's Waltz's mentioned above are some of my favorite BB's songs. 

About the post above, and Brian not being able to vocalize why he didn't like the waltz... I've heard that about him before... I guess some of the 60's session musicians said it on a dvd or some program about him.  They said the problem with Brian was only that he often couldn't express what he heard in his head. 
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »

OK this is gold and very heartwarming

A grandfather and Dad singing to BWRG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxa6KgD99Yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqUpNJizHk

I should really hate this, but its actually quite beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Rellies of yours?

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 23, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »

Brian with Nancy Sinatra. I tell you, you can see the effects of the all-doughnut diet!

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 23, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »

Great quotes from Mertens - God, what I wouldn't give to hear Brian screwing around with Gershwin tunes on the piano!

I'll post a more detailed review in the "Reviews" section, but after spending almost a solid week with this record, I'm really enjoying the majority of it.  I was only semi-familiar with Gershwin tunes coming in, so the album is a good mix of known and unknown for me, but Brian does both exceptionally well.  Right now I'm really digging the two "Beach Boys" style tracks (which work a lot better than you'd think on paper), the two originals (of which I wish there were a few more), Brian's intro/outro and "Someone to Watch Over Me."  Brian's voice just seems to get sweeter with time - it defies logic, but he really seems comfortable with his voice, more confident, and it shows in his singing here.  He sounds like he really digs the material, and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the vocal.

All in all, a fantastic effort.  Hearing an album like this from a 68-year-old Brian Wilson makes me excited to hear what else he may still have up his sleeve.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »

he really seems comfortable with his voice, more confident, and it shows in his singing here.  He sounds like he really digs the material, and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the vocal.

Agreed that Brian digging the material has made a big difference in how he singing, but the above post about the "all donut diet" made me think: Maybe Brian is generally more happy these days and just doing what he wants.  I remember reading about Brian's recent exercise regime, and although he mentioned exercising in a recent interview, that picture does not really bear that out.  However, Brian did mention that he had two donuts and a diet coke for breakfast the other day.  This got me thinking...maybe he's doing more of the things he wants to do.  He's eating donuts.  He's having a few beers with Scott and recording.  He's driving around and grabbing lunch.  Sounds like Brian's having more fun in his personal life, and that enthusiasm seems to be rubbing off on his musical projects.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

he really seems comfortable with his voice, more confident, and it shows in his singing here.  He sounds like he really digs the material, and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the vocal.

Agreed that Brian digging the material has made a big difference in how he singing, but the above post about the "all donut diet" made me think: Maybe Brian is generally more happy these days and just doing what he wants.  I remember reading about Brian's recent exercise regime, and although he mentioned exercising in a recent interview, that picture does not really bear that out.  However, Brian did mention that he had two donuts and a diet coke for breakfast the other day.  This got me thinking...maybe he's doing more of the things he wants to do.  He's eating donuts.  He's having a few beers with Scott and recording.  He's driving around and grabbing lunch.  Sounds like Brian's having more fun in his personal life, and that enthusiasm seems to be rubbing off on his musical projects.

Well said...I agree, I think Brian having a bit more freedom (in a controlled way, of course) definitely contributes to his enthusiasm in his recent musical endeavors.  He's less of a trained monkey now than he was in the Landy days - he does these projects because he wants to.  I really don't think he has derived this much enjoyment from making music since the 60's, to be honest.

As far as the exercise goes, I believe him when he says that he has a regimine, but you have to remember that as you get older, losing weight becomes a lot harder.  You can work out pretty frequently and not have it necessarily show in your waistline.  Combine that with a donut or beer here and there, and there you have Brian's figure.  Nothing wrong with that, mind you - he's earned the right to enjoy a donut every now and then.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »

OK this is gold and very heartwarming

A grandfather and Dad singing to BWRG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxa6KgD99Yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqUpNJizHk

I should really hate this, but its actually quite beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Rellies of yours?

Not at all, I wish though. Found the link on the blackboard.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »

The Wilson family appears to have a genetic predisposition to being overweight, as well.  I think he probably does still work out, but hell a guy his age working out means he takes a walk.  He probably does walk a lot.

To be honest I think he's going to be around a long damn time.  The life expectancy tables are all kind of messed up, if you make it to Brian's age you have a high likelihood of making it to 90.  He's healthy as a horse, you can tell when he gets excited in his interviews that he's still got plenty of energy. 

I think something people don't often mention too because it's kind of off limits, but hell why not lets go there.  He has a house with 4 young children in it.  He's also rich and has maids, etc... so he's financially secure, has the help he and Melinda need to take care of the bothersome part of parenthood... and he probably really, really, really enjoys having those kids around.  Brian's kind of a big kid himself, always has been.  I think those kids probably really brighten up his life, and it's hard to be depressed when you've got a kid curling up in your lap wanting to read a book or something.

He's probably having the time of his life right now. 
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »

Back to #1 on Amazon! 

Incredible. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 24, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »

The Wilson family appears to have a genetic predisposition to being overweight, as well.  I think he probably does still work out, but hell a guy his age working out means he takes a walk.  He probably does walk a lot.

To be honest I think he's going to be around a long damn time.  The life expectancy tables are all kind of messed up, if you make it to Brian's age you have a high likelihood of making it to 90.  He's healthy as a horse, you can tell when he gets excited in his interviews that he's still got plenty of energy. 

I think something people don't often mention too because it's kind of off limits, but hell why not lets go there.  He has a house with 4 young children in it.  He's also rich and has maids, etc... so he's financially secure, has the help he and Melinda need to take care of the bothersome part of parenthood... and he probably really, really, really enjoys having those kids around.  Brian's kind of a big kid himself, always has been.  I think those kids probably really brighten up his life, and it's hard to be depressed when you've got a kid curling up in your lap wanting to read a book or something.

Good call. Many people at Brian's age are encountering various sad life experiences simultaneously. That can easily lead to clinical depression, and a sedentary life. Brian does it 'his own way' so to speak... first the depression and lack of exercise, and now the good part (well, it's Brian, so expect the unexpected...). He's a blessed man (deservedly so), because he has just the things that counteract signs of clinical depression: personal freedom, many things that contribute to 'novelty' (the kids), exercise, a modest form of medication, and not in the last place: trips around the world that make for a wide array of new sights, sounds, and feelings.

Incredible story, happy ending, I guess.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: August 24, 2010, 06:05:14 AM »

I defy somebody to show me a Waltz I don't like.  I love 'em all.  Anybody ever heard that Hank Williams Jr. song called "O.D.'d in Denver"?  It's a Waltz, and I love it.

Waltzes are a tradition in country music since it's beginning. You'll find alot of them in there starting with jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »

I never noticed there were so many old Country waltzes.  I just thought of another one, I think... "Must You Throw Dirt In My Face" by the Louvin Brothers.  Yet ANOTHER song I like.  Waltzes rule.  More Brian Wilson Waltzes please. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 24, 2010, 07:51:53 AM »

This is mutating into a waltz thread.

I give you:

Elvis Costello: New Amsterdam

Tom Waits: A Sight For Sore Eyes

...and the Strauss Family

All entirely wonderful.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »

I just love to look at the amazon.com list with the top 100 albums, esp. to see what's #1, and what stars are lagging behind the Great Man.

What exactly does the list represent? Physical sales only? Downloads too? Including vinyl?

45 customer reviews, average rating 4,5 stars.

Which member here wrote those 43 five-star reviews? Speak up!

...the taste of the people is impeccable.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »

I saw somewhere the other day,  that on one very large 'rating' website (Metacritic? something like that maybe) BWPS is the ALLTIME highest rated album.  And this isn't some BB's fansite or anything, this is a striaght up anybody can review it website, and the rating for the album is 99 out of 100. 

I think what it comes down to is, casual fans don't care enough to rate the albums they don't really have any interest in, so in general people only rate albums they like, or just completely despise because their girlfriend plays it all day. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »

I just love to look at the amazon.com list with the top 100 albums, esp. to see what's #1, and what stars are lagging behind the Great Man.

What exactly does the list represent? Physical sales only? Downloads too? Including vinyl?

I've been campaigning on numerous Boards for fans to write 5 star reviews. No need to say but I've been rather successful.

If Disney won't promote Brian the fans must.  Grin

By the way, looks like the very hot Katy Perry may pip Brian in the amazon charts today. Let's hope not
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:05:51 AM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 24, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »

I hope he's having a great time. He's lucky that he can say his life has vastly improved. He's already been to hell and come out the other side. But I disagree that taking a walk is a big deal for someone his age. It all depends on how long and vigorous the walk is, but for many people, 68 isn't all that old. My father is 74 and swims each day. He was never athletic at all, but he's thin and doesn't appear to have lost any energy. When he's in NYC, he can walk for blocks and blocks--quickly. Brian is 68 and was athletic as a kid. I'm sure in an alternate universe, had he remained athletic and never gotten into all his unhealthy habits, he'd be unbelievably healthy, but I think AGD once said Brian was borderline diabetic, and he's obviously rather heavy right now. I hope he goes easy on the doughnuts! I will say that Brian seems to be very energetic, based on descriptions of his stamina in the studio and his regular touring schedule. I hope he's around for decades more.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »

I've been campaigning on numerous Boards for fans to write 5 star reviews. No need to say but I've been rather successful.

If Disney won't promote Brian the fans must.  Grin

By the way, looks like the very hot Katy Perry may pip Brian in the amazon charts today. Let's hope not

Nice call, Shady. I'd have written a review myself, but reviewing an album that I only heard one snippet from, is, erm, more something for James Last fans, I think.

But well, since I am working in a University library now, with 150 broadband PC's, all with their own IP number, erm, how shall I put it... I could give BWRG a small bump in two weeks time from now...

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: August 24, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »

Brian with Nancy Sinatra. I tell you, you can see the effects of the all-doughnut diet!

Was this picture taken during some kind of "artist on artist" interview? If yes, can it already be watched/heard somewhere?  Huh

Brian and Nancy seem to be relatively close - Brian added his vocals to Nancy's version of "California Girls", she can be seen in the "On Tour" DVD, I remember seeing her name in the credits/thank-yous of some other BW DVD ("Beautiful Dreamer" perhaps?), and now there's this interview...

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 24, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »

Ugh, Katy Perry's Teenage Dream has taken over Brian's #1 spot on amazon.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »

German Amazon has it currently listed at #1216  Sad

And they postponed the release for two weeks, now it'll be out on 17.Sept.

Time for a angry smiley:  Angry
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx