gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681363 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 10:09:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24505 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2010, 01:54:08 AM »

Ok having scoured my BB collection, I've added a few more, many of which are guilty pleasures but they're still favourites. Do your worst!

In The Parkin Lot
Hushabye
All Dressed Up For School
I Just Got My Pay
Sound Of Free
California (From California Saga, Holland)
Had To Phone Ya
Winter Symphony
Belles Of paris
Pitter Patter
Still I dream Of It
Lines
Kokomo

And I'm afraid I have scrubbed Our Car Club, Custom Machine and Lonely Sea. Where I Belong and Somewhere Near japan, I'm still fairly unfamiliar with so will leave. The latter sounds like a stinker to me but it does have a certain kitsch charm that could grow on me. Plus I've just nominated Belles Of Paris and Kokomo so who am I to talk?! The Carnegie Hall version of Only With You, I have never heard so again I'll leave that for someone else to judge.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:55 AM »

Interlude:

current standings: 65 preliminary 'winners' against 63 'scratched' losers.

There is many a BBs classic amongst the losers.

Conversely, there are quite a lot of dubious minor things in the 'winners' section.

What does that say about the SSnet community?

Are we the weird sickos like sane people perceive us as?  Huh

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2010, 04:20:08 AM »

You're right - this list is beginning to shame the entire board! Apologies people. I am going to ruthlessly cull everything I think is not that great and I urge others to do the same!

btw I have added Lets go away for a while, and Sloop John B.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:41 AM »

OK, then cull if you would...

Lonely Sea
Catch a Wave
In the Parkin' Lot
All Dressed up for School
You're So Good to Me
Had to Phone Ya
Winter Symphony
Lines
Still I Dream of It
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 04:36:33 AM »

Please scratch 'Cabinessence' out.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 04:41:31 AM »

Please scratch 'Cabinessence' out.

Will do, as long as you appreciate it will be like drawing a scalpel through my own heart ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:43:50 AM by buddhahat » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2010, 04:46:00 AM »

Can I propose 'Our Prayer'?

BTW the list with 'goodies' is dwindling rapidly. We're down to 50. I hear Michael deMartin laughing out loud, somewhere, in a parallel universe...

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2010, 04:48:49 AM »

Will do, as long as you appreciate it will be like drawing a scalpel through my own heart ...

Hey, this topic is about songs we ALL love.
There are many scratched songs that I really like. Smiley

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2010, 04:49:31 AM »

Can I propose 'Our Prayer'?

BTW the list with 'goodies' is dwindling rapidly. We're down to 50. I hear Michael deMartin laughing out loud, somewhere, in a parallel universe...

I love it Don, but only really in the context of smile, and in honesty I quite often skip it to get into H&V so I'm afraid no sooner had I typed the last r, I was moving my cursor to the change colour drop down box ...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »

Sorry I couldn't resist it, but you're absolutely right and (call me a sadist) I think the most rewarding part of this thread is watching the 'classics' being struck down!

I think what a topic like this demonstrates is there is very little that is universally held as sacred amongst Beach Boys fans, or fans of anything for that matter, and our concepts of what 'The Beach Boys' actually are vary wildly also: One man's Beach Boys are all beardy, pot smoking TM freaks, and another's have tight white tennis shorts and are hanging out with Ronal Reagan. There are essentially 4 or 5 different bands that people like on this board!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:58:58 AM by buddhahat » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2010, 04:58:55 AM »

Sorry I couldn't resist it, but you're absolutely right and (call me a sadist) I think the most rewarding part of this thread is watching the 'classics' being struck down!

I think what a topic like this demonstrates is there is very little that is universally held as sacred amongst Beach Boys fans, or fans of anything for that matter. We might all be fans of The Beach Boys, but what 'The Beach Boys' represents to each board member can be hugely different.

...is a good excuse for your pretty sociopathic inclinations... but anyhoo, you are right. I bet everyone is surprised at what songs get the thumbs down from another person. I am going to work on my list of 'personal enemies to be shot' now... police

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2010, 05:05:28 AM »

I think what a topic like this demonstrates is there is very little that is universally held as sacred amongst Beach Boys fans, or fans of anything for that matter. We might all be fans of The Beach Boys, but what 'The Beach Boys' represents to each board member can be hugely different.

...is a good excuse for your pretty sociopathic inclinations... but anyhoo, you are right. I bet everyone is surprised at what songs get the thumbs down from another person. I am going to work on my list of 'personal enemies to be shot' now... police

ha ha! - joking aside, I hope this thread isn't perceived as an excuse for a bit of wanton destruction. I think it's quite healthy to establish that the thing you regard to be most sacred, just kind of winds somebody else up! I think we should all bear this in mind when the perennial BWPS arguments re-surface. One man's Good Vibrations is another's Lady Lynda.

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »

One man's Good Vibrations is another's Lady Lynda.
I like both! Unbelievable, isn't it? Grin
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:10:56 AM by Stegibo » Logged

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »

After 3 years of lurking, I finally had to get a log in and add to this.

Can I scratch Let the Wind Blow? Pleasant but one of my least favourites off Wild Honey

Can I add (at least for 5mins!!):

Mona
In My Car
Lana
San Miguel
Help Me Rhonda (Endless Harmony version)

Thanks!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »

ha ha - I think this is one of the great things about this band. There so many guilty pleasures to be had, unlike say The Beatles. There's not much scope to be alternative in your tastes with them, unless you make a big deal out of being into Maxwell's Silver hammer or Mister Moonlight, then it kind of stops there!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »

After 3 years of lurking, I finally had to get a log in and add to this.

Can I scratch Let the Wind Blow? Pleasant but one of my least favourites off Wild Honey

Can I add (at least for 5mins!!):

Mona
In My Car
Lana
San Miguel
Help Me Rhonda (Endless Harmony version)

Thanks!

Greetings Cliff! I will gladly add these, Mona especially, although I think someone has already expressed a strong dislike for all the Love You material so it might not go unscratched for long.

I thought I'd added Help Me Rhonda (the Summer Days version) but just realised I overlooked it, so tha goes on there too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:25:00 AM by buddhahat » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2010, 05:23:16 AM »

If anyone gets rid of Mona, i shall despair.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2010, 05:29:28 AM »

ha ha - I think this is one of the great things about this band. There so many guilty pleasures to be had, unlike say The Beatles. There's not much scope to be alternative in your tastes with them, unless you make a big deal out of being into Maxwell's Silver hammer or Mister Moonlight, then it kind of stops there!

Yes. Um, can you, if only for 5 seconds, include 'Winds Of Change'? I like that, honest.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »

Yes. Um, can you, if only for 5 seconds, include 'Winds Of Change'? I like that, honest.

It's on there, unscratched and proud

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40:11 AM »

Ok, please add:
Lahaina Aloha
Strange Things Happen
Summer In Paradise
Still Cruisin'
Make It Big
Problem Child
Summer Of Love  angel
California Dreamin'
Rock & Roll To The Rescue
Dance, Dance, Dance
Cherry, Cherry Coupe
Getcha Back
Island Girl
It's A Beautiful Day
She's Got Rhythm
Susie Cincinnati

Wohoo!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:41:11 AM by Stegibo » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2010, 05:56:49 AM »

Don't be shy -  it's good!

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »

Ok, please add:
Lahaina Aloha
Strange Things Happen
Summer In Paradise
Still Cruisin'
Make It Big
Problem Child
Summer Of Love  angel
California Dreamin'
Rock & Roll To The Rescue
Dance, Dance, Dance
Cherry, Cherry Coupe
Getcha Back
Island Girl
It's A Beautiful Day
She's Got Rhythm
Susie Cincinnati

Wohoo!

They're up there, and as I don't want to be the only one doing the striking through, they're currently unscratched, brightly mocking the likes of cabinessence and Don't Talk. We need a real board curmudgeon to blaze a trail of destruction through the list now I think (paging Sheriff John!..)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »

OMG - how did Summer Of Love slip through the taste net? Quick! Scratchy-scratchy!

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »

Scratch Mona (sorry hypehat), She's Got Rhythm, Winds of Change and It's a Beautiful Day.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »

OMG - how did Summer Of Love slip through the taste net? Quick! Scratchy-scratchy!
My fault Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx