gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681517 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:50:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24558 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:08 AM »

56 left. I am pleasantly surprised about the songs remaining. 'Little Pad' is a nice outsider; 'Passing By' is in there.

I can't really imagine anyone crossing out Cali Girls or Surf's Up. If someone does, however, he/she should be shot given a last warning.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »

I'm So Young, Don't Hurt My Little Sister, In the Back of My Mind. And some of the objectionables are quite unbelievable. Tongue

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »

56 left. I am pleasantly surprised about the songs remaining. 'Little Pad' is a nice outsider; 'Passing By' is in there.

I can't really imagine anyone crossing out Cali Girls or Surf's Up. If someone does, however, he/she should be shot given a last warning.

Yeah it's a pleasant surprise that Passing By is still there - it's one of my favourites. Little Pad too. It sort of exemplifies weird, out-there but still beautiful Beach Boys for me and it would be nice if some of the real left-fleld numbers got a unanimous thumbs up from the board.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ones you mention do get crossed out although you'd hope not. I think the definite untouchables will be God Only Knows and Good Vibrations. We should have a sweepstake!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »

I have a brilliant idea. A new BBs comp CD.

Title: The Beach Boys Classics As Selected By The Experts At The Smiley Smile Dot Net Message Board

We're sure to sell a million units by July 2010!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2010, 04:38:08 AM »

Title: The Beach Boys Classics As Selected By The Experts At The Smiley Smile Dot Net Message Board

Great idea, but it may be the shortest greatest hits ever released!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:58 AM »

Great idea, but it may be the shortest greatest hits ever released!

LOL

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Smart Girls!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:20 AM »

Cue Gatling gun...

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »

Could also be called "Songs you never knew The Beach Boys made"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »

It's BW solo so doesn't count (phew!)  Grin

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:44 AM »

I hate to shorten the list, but Santa's Beard? I can't stand that cutesy-ass lead vocal. Sorry.

It's a weird list in parts, but the rest of the songs I like. It's just that there are so many that I like that have been crossed off the list!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2010, 01:50:44 AM »

Radio King Dom

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2010, 03:04:18 AM »

I hate to shorten the list, but Santa's Beard? I can't stand that cutesy-ass lead vocal. Sorry.

It's a weird list in parts, but the rest of the songs I like. It's just that there are so many that I like that have been crossed off the list!

Don't worry about shortening the list! It's a weird list - a mix of stone-cold classics and kitsch oddities - because people have added personal favourites late in the day. What might have made more sense is to have written the entire catalogue down to start with, but even an arch time-waster like me didn't have time for that!

Radio King Dom

Gleefully added - I love this section. If only he'd expanded it out into a whole song.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:38:40 AM by buddhahat » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:01 AM »

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:57 AM »

"Don't Talk"? "Cabinessence"? "Our Prayer"? "We'll Run Away"?

Monsters!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:31 AM »

Don't worry about shortening the list! It's a weird list - a mix of stone-cold classics and kitsch oddities - because people have added personal favourites late in the day. What might have made more sense is to have written the entire catalogue down to start with, but even an arch time-waster like me didn't have time for that!

Radio King Dom

Gleefully added - I love this section. If only he'd expanded it out into a whole song.

Cheers! When hearing this one for the first time, and when it disappeared after what? 5 seconds? I was almost angry, with a glimmer of hope that the song might return in full. It's Brian's ultimate teaser for this listener...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00:19 AM »

"Don't Talk"? "Cabinessence"? "Our Prayer"? "We'll Run Away"?

Monsters!

Please don't judge us  Cry

I was responsible for Our Prayer! Don't get me wrong - I love it for what it is, but I'm never quite convinced that it belongs at the beginning of Smile. You have this sombre, religious chant and then (according to most smile fans, and BW himself if BWPS is to be believed) you're launched into the speed-fuelled, comedic Heroes & Villains. It feels a bit jarring to me. I've always thought it should be nestled in with Surf's Up or Child, or even Good Vibrations, but those Smile mixes never work for me, and so I've begun to view OP as a bit of an awkward puzzle piece, and for those reasons I gladly struck it from the list!

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »

I've seen this game played before on other forums and problem is, the "winner" of this game is never the best, most ambitious, cleverest, most progressive song/band/movie/whatever. It's usually the most mediocre, harmless, inoffensive, anonymous, middle-of-the-road one.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:57 AM »

I've seen this game played before on other forums and problem is, the "winner" of this game is never the best, most ambitious, cleverest, most progressive song/band/movie/whatever. It's usually the most mediocre, harmless, inoffensive, anonymous, middle-of-the-road one.

Curses, I genuinely thought I had invented this game! Nevertheless, my prediction is that if it comes down to 1 or 2 songs it'll be Good Vibrations and God Only Knows. I suspect everybody here likes those, although more power to anyone who wants to vote them off.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »

Oh, I forgot to nominate 'Brian's Back'. Thank you for the reminder!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »

I can't tell if you're joking or not and so alas: It's on the list ...  Thud

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:17 AM »

(humming)...and Good Vibrations/ Caused A Big Sensation/ Not To Mention Ole' Pet Sounds...

hehe... and I nominate Sail Plane Song (a true favourite of mine, much better than the various Loop De Loop versions around).

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »

(humming)...and Good Vibrations/ Caused A Big Sensation/ Not To Mention Ole' Pet Sounds...

hehe... and I nominate Sail Plane Song (a true favourite of mine, much better than the various Loop De Loop versions around).

Is that the one from the 20/20 sessions? That's got a much more chilled out druggy vibe than the other ones. I like it too.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »

Is that the one from the 20/20 sessions? That's got a much more chilled out druggy vibe than the other ones. I like it too.

It's on Endless Harmony - I did not know that it was from the 20/20 sessions... tks for the info. I like the weird, slightly narcotic character of that one... I always thought it perfectly invokes the hazy feeling of someone up there where the air is rare, or doing deep see diving.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2010, 07:11:19 AM »

I can't tell if you're joking or not and so alas: It's on the list ...  Thud

It's on Endless Harmony - I did not know that it was from the 20/20 sessions... tks for the info. I like the weird, slightly narcotic character of that one... I always thought it perfectly invokes the hazy feeling of someone up there where the air is rare, or doing deep see diving.

I'm pretty sure it's 20/20.. Couple it with the other extraneous 20/20 stuff: Old Folks At Home, We're Together Again, Walk On By, Can't Wait Too Long & Dennis' A Time To Live In Dreams and you've got a pretty groovy, drug-fried EP going on!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:19:50 AM by buddhahat » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx