gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:25:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399452 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6750 on: March 27, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

While any Mike/Bruce dates *could* be bought off/rescheduled/rebooked, etc. in the event of a reunion tour, shows being booked into next year certainly makes it even less likely any reunion would be in the offing for that same year.

I do recall that at least one "symphonic" Mike/Bruce date for 2012 was nixed once the reunion started.

Mike and Bruce *did* play at least one private/charity gig in April 2012 *right* before the reunion tour started. Pics here: http://www.projectx101.howardkay.ca/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:56:59 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: March 28, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »

Who plays drums on First Rock’n’Roll Dance (The Big Beat 1963).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: May 06, 2019, 02:17:42 PM »

Have been seeing this on my FB feed from American Ballet Theatre:

May 30-June 3, Met, NYC - Twyla Tharp Trio will be performing to Beach Boys songs. Don t know all songs but it mentions "Deuce Coupe" and in the blurb "Devoted to You" with Mike and Brian is heard in the background

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: May 12, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »

Heard last few minutes of Dean Torrence interview on the XM Sirius Beatles channel Fabforum. Pretty much all I heard was Jan and Dean's take on Norwegian Wood - thought it was ruined by the silly things the fake sitar was doing. Anyway, I posted it here because the interview might have had some Beach Boys content.
The show is available to listen to On Demand for those who have the app. I'll try to listen when I have the time.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:30 AM »

Does anybody know of which “Shortnin’ Bread” rendition that Brian was most familiar with?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: July 02, 2019, 03:27:23 AM »

Does anybody know of which “Shortnin’ Bread” rendition that Brian was most familiar with?

If it wasn't from hearing Audree (or someone else he knew) singing it, I'm guessing it's the version by The Andrews Sisters. The UK vocal group The Viscounts did a rocking version in 1960 but I doubt whether it got heard in the States. Everything else is too old, too new or too different!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6756 on: July 02, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »

And all this time I thought there was just one version! I thought it was just a nursery rhyme of some sort

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: July 02, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »

Capt. Harris sang it in "Police Academy 4". police I knew it before hearing BBs' versions. Ha, kinda weird to be "Police Academy" AND Beach Boys fan simultaneously.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6758 on: July 02, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

Capt. Harris sang it in "Police Academy 4". police I knew it before hearing BBs' versions. Ha, kinda weird to be "Police Academy" AND Beach Boys fan simultaneously.

Considering how many times I've seen it, I should've known it!!! Granted it hasn't been in a few decades  but at one point I used to be able to quote dialog from PE3 and PE4 verbatim, so I really should've known

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: July 07, 2019, 07:37:24 PM »

If it wasn't from hearing Audree (or someone else he knew) singing it, I'm guessing it's the version by The Andrews Sisters. The UK vocal group The Viscounts did a rocking version in 1960 but I doubt whether it got heard in the States. Everything else is too old, too new or too different!

Dang, was hoping for a more definitive answer! The version by the Andrew Sisters is the one I’m most familiar with, but I thought there must be another that I’ve overlooked as I haven’t quite designated it “the greatest song in the world” yet... (that said, it is infectious--do I get to keep my BW points?  Razz) That Viscounts version is rockin’ though! Perhaps Alice Cooper knows which version Brian loved...or (past-tense) knew...possibly the slate has been wiped clean through years of therapy  LOL
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:45:17 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: July 07, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »

I am proudly both of those things myself  Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6761 on: July 07, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »

As am I !

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: July 10, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »

Does anyone (C-man) have any idea who played on Rock and Roll to the Rescue? Is there any possible chance that Carl plays the acoustic? Or maybe Brian on keys because he was supposedly an uncredited (co-)producer?
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: August 03, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »

Not a question, but a comment.  I met Al at his solo show last week in Annapolis.  His very lovely wife took a picture of me with Al, using my cell phone.  I’m going to get a new phone soon and want to save the photo so I uploaded it to my facebook page (which I hardly ever use) just to be able to “save” it somewhere online as I was having trouble emailing it to myself. 

Anyway, a lot of people have “liked” the photo but not a single person has made a comment about who is in the photo.  Most of the people liking it are people I don’t know that well and people who definitely don’t know that I love the BB.  I have to think that none of these people have any idea who it is in the picture and think it’s me with an uncle or something.  I find it amazing that an original member of one of the most famous bands in the world can be completely anonymous and unrecognized. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: August 03, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »

TBH Al is probably more than happy with that. Imagine being Paul or Ringo, Mick or Keith, Dylan to name a few. Even today they would still get stopped in the street.
Having said that, my wife shared a tube ride in London early 80s with Paul and Linda McCartney. She was so stunned (only a few years after John Lennon’s death) she never even considered talking to them. Probably best in hindsight she didn’t say anything.  Only a few years later, working as a receptionist she asked our most high profile New Zealander, Sir Edmond Hillary, standing in front of her ‘Can I ask who is calling?’ Probably took the bus in to work that day handing over a $5 note with his face on it. Still embarrassed 30 years later.  LOL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: August 04, 2019, 03:28:19 AM »

Wonderful anecdotes, m27 and PF. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: August 04, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »

What does the 'C' in C50 stand for?

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: August 04, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »

Not a question, but a comment.  I met Al at his solo show last week in Annapolis.  His very lovely wife took a picture of me with Al, using my cell phone.  I’m going to get a new phone soon and want to save the photo so I uploaded it to my facebook page (which I hardly ever use) just to be able to “save” it somewhere online as I was having trouble emailing it to myself. 

Anyway, a lot of people have “liked” the photo but not a single person has made a comment about who is in the photo.  Most of the people liking it are people I don’t know that well and people who definitely don’t know that I love the BB.  I have to think that none of these people have any idea who it is in the picture and think it’s me with an uncle or something.  I find it amazing that an original member of one of the most famous bands in the world can be completely anonymous and unrecognized. 

I think that outside of fans and musos, the Beach Boys is kinda unusual in that none of the lead singers (or anyone else in the band) is well known. Yes, that includes the Wilsons.

Whereas everyone knows John, Paul, Ringo etc
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: August 04, 2019, 02:32:24 PM »

I believe it’s celebration. 
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: August 04, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »

TBH Al is probably more than happy with that. Imagine being Paul or Ringo, Mick or Keith, Dylan to name a few. Even today they would still get stopped in the street.
Having said that, my wife shared a tube ride in London early 80s with Paul and Linda McCartney. She was so stunned (only a few years after John Lennon’s death) she never even considered talking to them. Probably best in hindsight she didn’t say anything.  Only a few years later, working as a receptionist she asked our most high profile New Zealander, Sir Edmond Hillary, standing in front of her ‘Can I ask who is calling?’ Probably took the bus in to work that day handing over a $5 note with his face on it. Still embarrassed 30 years later.  LOL

Yes, the best possible scenario would be to have the benefits that tend to go along with fame (money, connections, influence) while still being able to go out without being bothered.  I just find it so incredible that the BB somehow don’t have that same recognition factor that the Beatles and the Stones have. 

Good story about Edmund Hilary, btw Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6770 on: August 04, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »

I believe it’s celebration. 

Or it's from "C-Man", b/c I turned 50 that year.  Tongue
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6771 on: August 05, 2019, 06:52:33 AM »

Al has always come across as pretty anonymous even in public, and I can only imagine he enjoys that.

I've seen many shows where he just mills around at or near the venue and does whatever, and he doesn't always get bugged.

I've told this story before, but I went to a charity show he did back in 2005 which took place in the middle of theme park-ish venue. As people walked in through the park to get to the little concert venue, everybody just walked right by Al who was eating an ice cream cone on a little bench with his wife. Even *I* almost missed him; I had to do a double take before I saw it was him, and went back and did a quick hello, etc.

In the realm of famous bands versus "faceless" bands, the Beach Boys were always somewhere in the middle, leaning more and more towards faceless as the years and decades went on. If Al walks into a random store, he may well not get recognized. If he walked through a "Vintage Record Swap Meet/Convention" or something, he probably be more likely to be recognized I guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn’t hear Carl supposedly say “shunshine” during Soulful Old Man Sunshine?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn’t hear Carl supposedly say “shunshine” during Soulful Old Man Sunshine?

You don't hear it at 2:08?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcS8MmrYoYY

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:56 AM »

Was the 2011 SMiLE disc released as a 1 CD stand alone? I found a used copy at the store the other day. I've never seen a stand alone 1 disc like this one in a jewel case. I took some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/q3RlHi9
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx